Are fumes a concern with aft cabins?

Hi,

We will be cruising on Royal Navigator of the Seas in an aft cabin on deck 6. Can anyone comment on whether fumes from the ship's exhaust (or the restaurant below) are a problem?

I've not heard of fumes being a problem, but I have occasionally read about soot being deposited on aft balconies.

Waste odors - Not sure if this is still a problem but last fall it certainly was. please see this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2110850

Maybe someone whose been there more recently can chime in.

Well, that was an unpleasant thread to read! I really feel for those who experienced that, especially the muster drill. Not a good way to start a trip. That said, I've done aft on three ships, including the Nav, and have had no odor problems whatsoever. Did have some soot though. Love, love, love aft balconies. Have four cruises booked and none of them are aft. :(

Hi,

We will be cruising on Royal Navigator of the Seas in an aft cabin on deck 6. Can anyone comment on whether fumes from the ship's exhaust (or the restaurant below) are a problem?

I've had two aft balconies and never had any problems with soot or exhaust. We did have a dinner roll once, but that was on a Radiance Class ship that has the open porch behind the WJ. You won't have to worry about flying food on Navigator since her WJ is totally enclosed.

Edited by DarthGrady

We sailed in an aft Royal Family Suite on Deck 9 on the Navigator last year. There was no issue with fumes, just lots of soot all over the loungers and table and chairs. It would have been nice if the steward had occasionally wiped off the table like we asked him to. We ended up getting lots of beach towels to cover the chairs and loungers and used beach towels like a tablecloth so we could actually use the balcony.

I have had aft cabins on three Vision Class Ships (Grandeur, Enchantment, and Vision). We have had soot from time to time and I will admit that some nights late (1am to 2am ish) you could smell cooking - bacon or bread. I assume prep for the next day.

Neither ever interfered with our enjoyment - I love aft cabins

I've done 7688 and 7388 on Adventure and Explorer. Never had soot or odors from the ship. Smoke fumes from passengers next to or above or below us has been the most disagreeable aspect on all of our balconies, aft and hump. Only that has forced us back into our cabins.

It depends on what your hubby has eaten, and the cabin make no difference to the fumes emitted...try to steer him in the right direction. Fumes are not a good thing!

"Like" :D:D:D

We have had it on aft facing loft suites on the Oasis class. It isn't bad, but enough. Swimsuits left out to dry would get some ash bits on them. I wouldn't leave anything out there if great value as the ash is hard to wash out

Hi all:

We have had no significant problems with aft on Radiance class ships but we did have on Legend. I would note though that it only occurred in the second part of our cruise. We had the same aft junior suite so top level aft and centre and we did 2 cruises back to back. The first in the Caribbean, no soot ever. The second half we had soot but it was on 2 occasions, first in port, the ship "blew" the engines on turnover day. After that it was mostly on the first section of the follow-on Panama canal cruise. Our cabin attendant worked like a dog to ensure the deck was cleaned daily, the carpets vacuumed, and he shampooed the carpets twice.

My DH (ex navy) noted that the issue occurred with the extra power required for the ship to move quickly for certain port moves, most notably Ft. Lauderdale to Cartegena.

Once you knew, you just were careful and you kept an extra towel to wipe down the balcony and chairs.

I should note that on Radiance we have done Hawaii with an aft cabin and the ship 'boots' along and we haven't had any soot issues. We had a little bit with Brilliance but very very little when we did the fall colours cruise up the St. Lawrence. In that situation it was lovely to have the wind protection of the sheltered aft cabins and we could sit out on crisp sunny days and still feel quite warm.

Another issue that sometimes occurs with aft cabins is that they overlook the crew deck and sometimes there is noise. Usually at least 1 staff party. But I find they are careful about it and ensure that the music and dancing stop at a reasonable hour.

Like many frequent cruisers we love these aft cabins and choose them often.

I've never noticed any issues with fumes.

Enjoy!

We had an Aft balcony cabin on Deck 10 Indy two weeks ago. There was no unpleasant odors the entire week that we noticed. However, there was a couple in a cabin below us having, um, lets call it "sexy time" one night that made my eyes quite uncomfortable for a bit. Lets just say they were not an attractive couple and leave it at that. ;)

Hi,

We did an aft on the Independence. Never again for me. There were no Fume issues but lots of black soot in the mornings and every time the ship docked, the noise the engines caused as the azipods were being swung around woke me up. It was terribly annoying. So never again for me.

I have had aft cabins on three Vision Class Ships (Grandeur, Enchantment, and Vision). We have had soot from time to time and I will admit that some nights late (1am to 2am ish) you could smell cooking - bacon or bread. I assume prep for the next day.

Neither ever interfered with our enjoyment - I love aft cabins

LMAO...I forgot about the smell of bacon after returning from a late night around the ship. No complaints though. ;)

We loved it that on our aft on Deck 6 of the Indy, we could see the crew coming out a deck or two below with their phones as we sailed into port. They knew exactly when and where they were going to pick up a signal, and they were always right. When they got a signal, so did we.