New to Princess, feedback please?

TrpngBilly

We recently booked a Princess cruise after our already paid for cruise on NCL was cancelled because they chartered the ship we were sailing on. Anyway, it was easier due to flights already being booked to sail on Princess out of the same port on the same weekend as our original sailing.

So, since we have been loyal to NCL for a number of years, I feel like I should get some insight from some loyal Princess cruisers on ways to maximize our enjoyment on Princess. We are excited and looking forward to our cruise. If anyone has any tips for us, hoping you'll share. We are a family of four; two adult parents and two children, 6 and 4 at time of sailing. The kids loved the kids club on NCL and I'm guessing they'll do fine on Princess as well, but since we've been on NCL exclusively for the past few years, we're looking for some insight.

Happy Cruising to All!

You're right! Princess has a great kid's program so they will be perfectly fine on any Princess ship! :)

Dress codes are rather different on Princess from the "free style" on NCL.

On which Princess ship will you be cruising?

LuLu

I suggest going to the Princess web site and downloading the "Cruise Answer Book" as it will tell you many of the details about sailing on Princess.

I also suggest that you join the Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise.

Edited by caribill

There are dining differences

MRD's are open for breakfast each day and lunch on sea days. Dress is casual.

For the evening your will either have Traditional fixed early or late seating, same table same waiter, or you can choose Anytime Dining. With ATD if you like to dine early you have to show up between 5:30 & 6. Tables usually fill by six. It is difficult to get a table in the 7pm time frame. If you like to dine later, usually no problem after 7:30pm. Reservations are accepted for ATD by calling the DINE Line. All main Dining Rooms have the same dress codes and the same menus. Menus change each evening.

Dress for the MDR each evening is either smart casual or formal. About 99% of all passengers in the DR will be dressed as requested. Formal for men is normally suite & tie, Sport jacket & tie, or tux. About 25% will actually be in tux. Women normally dress in nice dresses or slack outfits. Smart casual is defined as collared shirt. Shorts are not allowed in the DR's in the evening. There are two surcharge restaurants, Crown Grill and Sabatini's @$25/pp, children are less. There could also be the Crab Shack @ $20/pp. Make reservations on board. There are lots of other free places to dine on board.

One thing my DH and I do is to check out the evening menu for the dining room just to see if we rather plan on eating somewhere else on board......

We like the Alfredo's Pizza- which is a sit down pizza menu... varies on which ship you are on and IF that is an option.

We also like the International Cafe- they are great for morning rolls. Lunch for various meals.... DH likes to stop there for a 'snack' mid day.

Students of mine and friends who have used the kids program have been very happy with that... not having kids- I can't comment much there.

Let us know which ship you are on and we can give even more input.

...Reservations are accepted for ATD by calling the DINE Line...

This seems to vary from ship to ship, like many things on Princess. I was told by the maître d' on the Golden last fall that no reservations were being taken, period, for ATD during the entire cruise. The DINE line was not answered, either, whenever I tried it. That is why I spoke with the maître d'.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

We started family cruising with Disney and switched over to Princess for a variety of reasons last year. So far, we have a whole two cruises with Princess under our belt :) Like you we have two kids (ours are now 9 and 11). We were very nervous last summer when we boarded the Star Princess in SF for a 10 day cruise to Alaska. Mainly because the kids fell in love with the Disney cruises and the wealth of activities Disney has.

Our kids enjoyed the kids clubs a LOT. Our fears were quickly gone. What we would suggest is that if you cruise Princess, go with an open mind and a clean slate. Try not to make comparisons to NCL and focus on making your cruise work for you and your family. There were a lot of things that Disney had the Princess does not. But once we focused on making certain everyone was having fun, we didn't think about differences.

We cruised again with Princess during Thanksgiving break last year as well (this time on the Golden Princess). The kids had fun, we had fun and now we are booked for a holiday cruise for Christmas this year. If you go into the cruise with the right attitude, you will have nothing to worry about. Just my two cents. Have a WONDERFUL cruise!

We started family cruising with Disney and switched over to Princess for a variety of reasons last year. So far, we have a whole two cruises with Princess under our belt :) Like you we have two kids (ours are now 9 and 11). We were very nervous last summer when we boarded the Star Princess in SF for a 10 day cruise to Alaska. Mainly because the kids fell in love with the Disney cruises and the wealth of activities Disney has.

Our kids enjoyed the kids clubs a LOT. Our fears were quickly gone. What we would suggest is that if you cruise Princess, go with an open mind and a clean slate. Try not to make comparisons to NCL and focus on making your cruise work for you and your family. There were a lot of things that Disney had the Princess does not. But once we focused on making certain everyone was having fun, we didn't think about differences.

We cruised again with Princess during Thanksgiving break last year as well (this time on the Golden Princess). The kids had fun, we had fun and now we are booked for a holiday cruise for Christmas this year. If you go into the cruise with the right attitude, you will have nothing to worry about. Just my two cents. Have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Great post and excellent attitude.

Edited by MicCanberra

. . .With ATD if you like to dine early you have to show up between 5:30 & 6. Tables usually fill by six. It is difficult to get a table in the 7pm time frame. If you like to dine later, usually no problem after 7:30pm.. . .

I beg to differ -- have had Anytime twice and I always went down at 8.15/8.30. Never, not once, did I not have to have a pager and a wait of at least 30 minutes. I think the only people who say that the waits are shorter after 7.30 are the people who eat earlier so have no firsthand experience, and/or who think that everyone else in the world also dines early so they can't imagine there could be lines later.

It really depends on the table size you want, and also if you get there or just after the 'getting out of the theatre rush to dinner crowd'. I have found 7.15-8pm the optimal time but have generally had no issues at other times either if wanting a table for two or to share.

What I find extremely helpful is that all Princess ships have self laundry rooms. Even if you do not throw a load in being able to iron those wrinkles out helps. Can either purchase or bring laundry detergent. If we only wash one load it helps with luggage. Especially if you have to pay for bags while flying. Also when boarding majority of the time your cabin will be available. One of the main dining rooms will be open for sit down lunch between noon and 1:30. So even if crew directs you to buffet (and it is a zoo that first day) find the dining room. Wonderful calm way to start the cruise. Welcome to Princess!!

I beg to differ -- have had Anytime twice and I always went down at 8.15/8.30. Never, not once, did I not have to have a pager and a wait of at least 30 minutes. I think the only people who say that the waits are shorter after 7.30 are the people who eat earlier so have no firsthand experience, and/or who think that everyone else in the world also dines early so they can't imagine there could be lines later.

Having been on 26 Princess cruises we can state for sure that our experience has not been the same as yours. On all cruises in all parts of the world when we choose to dine after 7:30 we were seated without any issues or wait. We always ask for a table to share, never a table for two. We do avoid holiday cruises and short voyages which may have more demand for later seating. There are two DR's available for ATD after 7:30.

What we would suggest is that if you cruise Princess, go with an open mind and a clean slate. Try not to make comparisons to NCL and focus on making your cruise work for you and your family.

Good points when trying anything new! Just because something is different does not mean that it's not good. Neither does it mean that it's not bad. It's just different! Good vs bad are often very subjective.

Tom

What I find extremely helpful is that all Princess ships have self laundry rooms. Even if you do not throw a load in being able to iron those wrinkles out helps. Can either purchase or bring laundry detergent. If we only wash one load it helps with luggage. Especially if you have to pay for bags while flying. Also when boarding majority of the time your cabin will be available. One of the main dining rooms will be open for sit down lunch between noon and 1:30. So even if crew directs you to buffet (and it is a zoo that first day) find the dining room. Wonderful calm way to start the cruise. Welcome to Princess!!

I agree. :)

...Just because something is different does not mean that it's not good. Neither does it mean that it's not bad. It's just different! Good vs bad are often very subjective...

Very true. We tend to get used to things being a certain way, so try to keep an open mind when trying something new.

It really depends on the table size you want, and also if you get there or just after the 'getting out of the theatre rush to dinner crowd'. I have found 7.15-8pm the optimal time but have generally had no issues at other times either if wanting a table for two or to share.

It also depends on how many of your new 1500+ best friends also decide the time they want to eat is the same time you picked.

Thank you to all posters, invaluable tips. I'm piggybacking here, as I'm also a first time cruiser (coral princess Alaska northbound Voyage of the Glaciers).

Is there a dress code for ATD at dinner time? While we don't wear slops and shorts ,do we have to dress formal? The reason I chose ATD was so I wouldn't need to dress formally. My cruise follows a Rockies road trip and I do not fancy lugging formal wear for 2 weeks prior to cruise. Thank you

Thank you to all posters, invaluable tips. I'm piggybacking here, as I'm also a first time cruiser (coral princess Alaska northbound Voyage of the Glaciers).

Is there a dress code for ATD at dinner time? While we don't wear slops and shorts ,do we have to dress formal? The reason I chose ATD was so I wouldn't need to dress formally. My cruise follows a Rockies road trip and I do not fancy lugging formal wear for 2 weeks prior to cruise. Thank you

Remember that on formal nights (or any night for that matter), you don't have to eat in the dining rooms. You can always eat in the Horizon Court buffet area. And strictly formal wear is not required, although you will see people wearing tuxedos or long gowns being worn.

Tom

Firstly, welcome to Cruise Critic. ATD is in the MDR and follows the guidelines for the Dining room, (i.e. Formal nights, casual nights). If you do not want to carry formal wear with you, you can eat in a specialty restaurant, the buffet, room service, or can I suggest you bring a dark suit/dinner jacket and a tie with you. This enables you to be more formal and look smart and you can carry, wear the jacket when flying so it doesn't wrinkle. Another added bonus is that I have found upgrades come easily with dressing smart at the check-in counter.

Another added bonus is that I have found upgrades come easily with dressing smart at the check-in counter.

I am sure this never happened to you with Princess as the check-in personnel have no ability at all to change what cabin you are in.