Christmas markets question

MalibooNewYork

+1 for cold weather travel. I avoid going to warm location if at all possible. But I get that Papa doesn't understand those of us that want to soak up the cold anymore than I understand people who like hot climates. Different strokes. I promise to stay off your Florida beaches and you stay off my Christmas cruise. ;)

Christmas markets have become really popular in the U.S. and Canada, it appears. The company Käthe Wohlfahrt will be joining in with stalls at some markets in the U.S. and one in Canada. So if you cannot make it over this season, perhaps you can have a look at this list:

http://www.christmasfromgermany.com/articles.asp?id=135

I have found a few more that sound to be in German tradition/style, one of them at a place called Cambria in California. I imgagine California to be mild in winter and wonder if it will be cold enough to appreciate glühwein?

notamermaid

I don't think Gluhwein will be a hit in California. I went to a brewpub/microbrewery in the Bay Area, and it seemed like more than half the patrons were drinking wine! Most were blonde . . . the people, not the beer.

From having read other's posts on the forum I would say that the majority do not. That is also my experience. If you cannot see a machine or a sign for it, you could politely ask. Or just have the respective cash ready. As a rule I would say the earlier in the day the more the smaller notes are appreciated. In most places a cash machine is nearby for emergency withdrawals, if you need to do one.

Most shops, apart from small bakers, etc. take credit cards. Dollars are not accepted, it is either euros or forints for example in Hungary. Where sometimes euros (or dollars possibly) are accepted in tourist places, but your exchange rate - or value for money I should say - will likely be better in forints.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Thanks, notamermaid! I am pre armed with cash and an ATM card that will work overseas without charging me to death, which took a bit of time and effort. But then as I bought a cup of coffee from a food truck yesterday and paid with a credit card, it dawned on me that my assumption that these craftsmen selling their hand crafted goods are cash only might be off. They are no less sophisticated than that kid with the coffee trailer. But cash saves the vendor money and possibly time, so I understand why most would prefer cash. Thanks for the intel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Add us to the list of folks heading for the cold! It's been a long, hot summer and even winter doesn't bring anything close to "cold" here at home. We're enjoying building up a winter wardrobe that we'll probably only use when we travel. ;)

It never seems to really feel like Christmas at home so we're really looking forward to the chilly weather and the Christmas Markets!

Christmas markets have become really popular in the U.S. and Canada, it appears. The company Käthe Wohlfahrt will be joining in with stalls at some markets in the U.S. and one in Canada. So if you cannot make it over this season, perhaps you can have a look at this list:

http://www.christmasfromgermany.com/articles.asp?id=135

I have found a few more that sound to be in German tradition/style, one of them at a place called Cambria in California. I imgagine California to be mild in winter and wonder if it will be cold enough to appreciate glühwein?

notamermaid

Our local German club has had a Christkindlmarkt for several years, and several of the local towns will also hold smaller ones. I love going to them, although they are indoors, so we don't get to see the lights. They have mostly local or imported (actual German) crafts, and the club even has a place to have lunch. I wouldn't mind travelling to Europe for a Christmas market, it would probably be a lot warmer than out temps at home. My husband on the other hand will take some convincing. Guess I'll just have to be content with what we have here.

Always remember near rivers it is a damp cold that feels colder. Take gloves, hats, scarfs and warm clothing. We are going on our third Christmas Market cruise in December, a waterproof coat and footwear is very nice to have!!

Second seating

I just ordered silk sock and glove liners and top and bottom base layers as well as waterproofing spray for our boots and jackets. Already have stocked up on scarves, hats, etc. :cool:

Hello Daisi,

Our local German club has had a Christkindlmarkt for several years, and several of the local towns will also hold smaller ones. I love going to them, although they are indoors, so we don't get to see the lights. They have mostly local or imported (actual German) crafts, and the club even has a place to have lunch. I wouldn't mind travelling to Europe for a Christmas market, it would probably be a lot warmer than out temps at home. My husband on the other hand will take some convincing. Guess I'll just have to be content with what we have here.

well, it can be so much fun getting local craft from stall meeting friends and neighbours. I enjoy that, too. We have one organized by the local church where the teenagers bake the waffles and when it is dark people sing along to carols in the churchyard.

Perhaps you could make your way down to the U.S. for a market to get your husband in the mood for it? And there is always the possibility to tempt him with something that you can include in the Europe trip - which could be a land trip - like a hobby or special interest. In Wolfsburg (seat of Volkswagen company) there is a special museum complex for cars for example, complete with hotel and seminars on cars... If he is a chocolate lover I highly recommend Brussels. Actually I recommend it to everyone :D: http://visitbrussels.be/bitc/BE_en/minisite_winterwonders.do

Or you could watch some youtube videos on the European markets together. He might find it hard to resist after that.

But thinking of Canadian forests in snow when I walk through rain with cars rushing by, that for me is a great thought to get me in a better mood.

Have a good winter.

notamermaid

Always remember near rivers it is a damp cold that feels colder. Take gloves, hats, scarfs and warm clothing. We are going on our third Christmas Market cruise in December, a waterproof coat and footwear is very nice to have!!

Second seating

Thank you for that tip. I find the damp really gets to me more than the cold does. I find those silky leggings - rather than tights - a good investment, they are thin and when your legs are warm and your feet still cold you can easily exchange your socks for some warm ones.

Even when it feels o.k. in the valley excursions into the hills can make you feel really cold.

notamermaid

Hello Daisi,

well, it can be so much fun getting local craft from stall meeting friends and neighbours. I enjoy that, too. We have one organized by the local church where the teenagers bake the waffles and when it is dark people sing along to carols in the churchyard.

Perhaps you could make your way down to the U.S. for a market to get your husband in the mood for it? And there is always the possibility to tempt him with something that you can include in the Europe trip - which could be a land trip - like a hobby or special interest. In Wolfsburg (seat of Volkswagen company) there is a special museum complex for cars for example, complete with hotel and seminars on cars... If he is a chocolate lover I highly recommend Brussels. Actually I recommend it to everyone :D: http://visitbrussels.be/bitc/BE_en/minisite_winterwonders.do

Or you could watch some youtube videos on the European markets together. He might find it hard to resist after that.

But thinking of Canadian forests in snow when I walk through rain with cars rushing by, that for me is a great thought to get me in a better mood.

Have a good winter.

notamermaid

I have no problems talking him into travelling, but he wants to do it in warmer temps. I guess growing up where winters average -25 to -40C, we think that is normal winter temps, and so not ideal travel temps. I will just have to work on him that your winters are so much warmer. I would love to go to the car museums as well, but I think if we make it to them, it will be in warmer weather.

Best time to wander our forests in the snow is early Spring, especially when you are at a Sugar bush....:)

Winter at -25C, I have heard of that... I can only ever remember experiencing -23C at one day in my life in Europe. It hardly ever gets colder than that. You would have to head to deep Scandinavia or Moskow. -15C is exceptionally cold for Germany unless you climb the Alps. So we do not have the winters you have. Sugar bush, had to look that up, sounds so unusual and interesting nature to me who is used to the maples that are common round here.

notamermaid

I'm not worried about coats, layers, gloves and such. I'll be bringing the ski gear I never wear because I am always too hot for it and assuming that I'll schlep it there and not wear it. But what about shoes? I'm assuming there will be more rain than show on my Danube cruise in 10 days. I don't want wet feet. Is this likely to be misting on and off sort of rain, or coming down in sheets all day sort of rain? Waterproof boots are big and heavy and I can't wear them on the plane because of that always too hot thing mentioned above.

Thanks for all the help!

I cannot wear my boots on the plane as I would overheat. I wear them to the airport and through security. Once I am at the gate I have a bag they go in and I put slip on crocs that I use for slippers. Sometimes this is an extra bag I have never had a problem with it. My boots are Dansko that I have had for years. After the season i have them cleaned and sprayed with waterproof spray.

Second seating

I'm not worried about coats, layers, gloves and such. I'll be bringing the ski gear I never wear because I am always too hot for it and assuming that I'll schlep it there and not wear it. But what about shoes? I'm assuming there will be more rain than show on my Danube cruise in 10 days. I don't want wet feet. Is this likely to be misting on and off sort of rain, or coming down in sheets all day sort of rain? Waterproof boots are big and heavy and I can't wear them on the plane because of that always too hot thing mentioned above.

Thanks for all the help!

We are currently sailing on Scenic Jade (Budapest to Amsterdam) and have had several days of not so great weather. Temperatures have been hovering between 32 and 42 degrees F for most of the trip. On several days we've had light rain....not pouring, but definitely need raingear/umbrella. On the day we were in Salzburg it was raining/sleeting for much of our time in the city, then it switched to snow as we rode the bus up the mountain for lunch. Did it ruin our day? Not at all....would have been nicer with the sun shining, but we still enjoyed our tour.

You definitely need layers so that you can peel some off on the bus or for the indoor parts of the tour. We didn't bring boots so our shoes were a bit soggy at times, but always dried out by the next day's tour. I think next time I would also bring a poncho that would keep my backpack covered.....it, and everything inside it, got pretty soggy from the rain. Most of the cities we visited had cobblestone walks that get rather slippery when wet, so consider that when choosing shoes to pack.

We are from Chicago, so we're no strangers to cold weather and I was sure we were overpacking for the weather. Temps in the low 30s and 40s don't usually bother us too much but the dampness and wind made it seem colder and we were glad we'd packed so many layer options.

Every city we visited was busy setting up for their Christmas Markets. By the time you arrive, they'll be beautiful! Have a great time.

I have no problems talking him into travelling, but he wants to do it in warmer temps. I guess growing up where winters average -25 to -40C, we think that is normal winter temps, and so not ideal travel temps. I will just have to work on him that your winters are so much warmer. I would love to go to the car museums as well, but I think if we make it to them, it will be in warmer weather.

Best time to wander our forests in the snow is early Spring, especially when you are at a Sugar bush....:)

Average winter temperatures of -25 to -40C? Wow! Where did you grow up, Iqaluit, Tuktoyaktuk, Pangnirtung or some place as cold as these?

The boots I travel with in cold climates are Keen with soft leather tops - they're knee height but pull-on, no zipper - so they pack really well. They aren't waterproof so once a year I spray them with a silicone water repellent. However, on our Christmas market cruise, I got the most use out of my goretex walking shoes. We didn't really have wet or terribly cold weather - I think Frankfurt/Rudesheim might have been the only wet day.

So here it is, the Christmas market season. The first markets have already opened, Koblenz, the largest town in my area follows today. "My" local one is being prepared, the huts are already up, decoration and goodies to follow shortly.

I came across this article from the Financial Times that I quite enjoyed: https://www.ft.com/content/755e97de-a81b-11e6-8898-79a99e2a4de6

With that untranslatable word "Gemütlichkeit". It supposedly takes a sentence of about 15 words to get that idea across in English, possibly still not quite capturing it. :D

I hope that all you travelling to Christmas markets get to feel that special feeling. And you staying at home, too. :)

notamermaid

P.S.: You might be able to only see the article once, or possibly not at all and be asked to subscribe. However, if you feel like it, you can google the article.

Edited by notamermaid