Probably the dumbest question ever about snorkeling

cookienadal

You typically don't wear shoes when you snorkel. You wear fins. If you are using a vendor for the snorkeling trip, they will provide everything you need, except sun tan lotion for your back.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You typically don't wear shoes when you snorkel. You wear fins. If you are using a vendor for the snorkeling trip, they will provide everything you need, except sun tan lotion for your back.

and for women the cheeks of your bottom..my sister in law burnt hers so bad she couldn't sit for 3 days...

if you like it after the first time..We ended up buying our own stuff as I was skeptical about how many others have use them..and I didn't get a good feeling about it...but that is me...

hope you have fun..

I got this one.

I'm not sure if by "they" you mean the ship or your cruise location. I think "No" on the former and almost always yes (rentals at destinations known for snorekeling). If you like snorkeling -- and why wouldn't you -- and you feel you'll do it at least a second time (and I'm betting you will), a small investment of well under $100 per set is something you should strongly consider. After a few uses they pay for themselves (as opposed to renting for $25 a crack), then you have them forever.

A "set" would consist of the snorkel (or course), mask (tethered to the snorkel) and fins. They are easily found in Amazon in full sets already in a beach-bag. Are there BETTER made sets? Yes, but honestly, if you take a modicum of care with them and use them only 2 or 3 times a year, they'll last you through the next decade. Costco also sells sets around this time of year just for the casual user (which I am, and I presume you, are).

Another thing you'll probably need are the little booties that slip over your feet tightly and have some semblance of a rubber soul (good Beatles album BTW). This is especially good for entering the water where it's rocky. You can also put your fins on over them; win-win.

Hopefully you're going to the Riviera Maya -- my favorite snorkeling place; esp. Cozumel (and Isla Mujures, the island across the channel from Cancun). Hawaii is great too. I've seen TONS of fish in all these places but even just to see a few is rewarding. Have tons of fun.

Here's a typical set. I've bougth US Divers equipment before. They're make decent equipment for the non-professional (i.e, 90% of us). The set here for an adult is about $57.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Admiral-Snorkel-11-5-15-5/dp/B0046ZN50W/ref=sr_1_7?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1435189005&sr=1-7

Edited by Chunder Worthy

If you aren't a great swimmer (or floater) take the vest they give you. If you are not average size, or someone in your party is "larger than the average bear" look into investing in your own snorkeling floatation vest. Most boats only carry one size which is not very big. My husband, who does not float and is very large (height and muscle) MUST have a vest. One trip we went on the vest was more like a "c" collar used by EMT's. I spent more time worrying about him drowning than snorkeling. Since they inflate, they easily fit in your suitcase without taking up too much room. Worth it for the peace of mind.

Also, a waterproof camera is amazing. I have my GoPro with a handle attachment and a security strap. The handle is also a flotation device in case it gets away from me. Amazing photos/videos to be had in the Caribbean.

My experience for both ship-sponsored and privately booked snorkelling excursions is that the equipment has always been made available, sometimes at a cost. Including an inflatable snorkel vest (vaguely like an aircraft lifejacket) that you blow up to the buoyancy that suits you and may help you keep horizontal on the surface.

Hygiene is pretty basic, after use the masks and snorkels are just thrown into a barrel of sea-water & ready for the next user - salt water is a very good basic germ-killer but some folk are more fussy, one reason for buying your own.

We bought our own after the first time - cost-wise it's a no-brainer because it pays for itself with just 3 or 4 uses, and because there are stacks of opportunities to snorkel off a beach at no cost at all.

Do ask to try on the face-mask in the shop before you buy, even if it means breaking the packaging.

But we didn't buy fins. They're not really needed if you just want to float around, only if you want to dive deep (don't try breathing through the snorkel when you do that :D) or swim fast.

They're a pain to put on & take off, a pain when using a boat's ladder, and very embarrassing if you step on your own flipper and go base over apex into the bottom of the boat. :o :D

We did buy rubber water shoes, as per CW's post. They've got incredibly good road-holding over slippery surfaces and wet or dry rocks, and they avoid the pain of walking through the line of broken coral or shingle around high-water mark, but they're unnecessary when snorkelling off a boat.

We also bought inflatable snorkel vests, but after a time or two stopped using them cos we'd got the hang of it. Might use them again in deep water, more for safety than convenience.

I suggest you use all the equipment supplied at least once, mebbe twice, then if you're hooked buy a snorkel and face-mast set. And fins, vests and water shoes at the same time or later if you want.

Just my own experiences

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

My experience for both ship-sponsored and privately booked snorkelling excursions is that the equipment has always been made available, sometimes at a cost. Including an inflatable snorkel vest (vaguely like an aircraft lifejacket) that you blow up to the buoyancy that suits you and may help you keep horizontal on the surface.

Hygiene is pretty basic, after use the masks and snorkels are just thrown into a barrel of sea-water & ready for the next user - salt water is a very good basic germ-killer but some folk are more fussy, one reason for buying your own.

We bought our own after the first time - cost-wise it's a no-brainer because it pays for itself with just 3 or 4 uses, and because there are stacks of opportunities to snorkel off a beach at no cost at all.

Do ask to try on the face-mask in the shop before you buy, even if it means breaking the packaging.

But we didn't buy fins. They're not really needed if you just want to float around, only if you want to dive deep (don't try breathing through the snorkel when you do that :D) or swim fast.

They're a pain to put on & take off, a pain when using a boat's ladder, and very embarrassing if you step on your own flipper and go base over apex into the bottom of the boat. :o :D

We did buy rubber water shoes, as per CW's post. They've got incredibly good road-holding over slippery surfaces and wet or dry rocks, and they avoid the pain of walking through the line of broken coral or shingle around high-water mark, but they're unnecessary when snorkelling off a boat.

We also bought inflatable snorkel vests, but after a time or two stopped using them cos we'd got the hang of it. Might use them again in deep water, more for safety than convenience.

I suggest you use all the equipment supplied at least once, mebbe twice, then if you're hooked buy a snorkel and face-mast set. And fins, vests and water shoes at the same time or later if you want.

Just my own experiences

JB :)

John Bull, excellent advice. No need to buy any equipment for your first time. If it turns out that you don't like snorkeling - and some people don't - you won't be wasting your money on equipment you won't be using again.

Some types of fins are worn over booties, some are not. I would strongly suggest buying your own pair of booties even if booties are part of the rental package. Then you'll have your own clean pair and you can use them in other places...depending on what kind of beach or shore you are on, they can come in very handy, and they don't take up much room in your luggage.

I'd also suggest wearing a t-shirt when you snorkel. It's so easy for your back to get sunburned. And don't forget the backs of your legs, especially behind the knees. Super-painful to get burned there...BTDT.

Hope you have fun!

If you've never snorkeled.... then your excursion will provide all you need. Don't buy anything,...don't bring anything...

It's not all it's cracked up to be.

I agree...not the most helpful advice....

Depending on where we are talking about, the snorkeling can be excellent. Grand Turk on the Wall, Costa Maya on the reef jump to mind. If you haven't snorkeled before you wouldn't likely know what is great, and what is not.

Actually, the dumbest question about snorkeling comes up every week on my ship at the Liar's Club Contest.

Question: Define the word "titup".

My answer: The wrong way to snorkel.

NB: The correct answer is: To behave or move in a lively or restless manner, as an

impatient horse; to caper; to prance; to frisk.

Want to try snorkeling for 1st time on my Royal Caribbean cruise. What do I need to bring as opposed to whats provided. Example: what type of shoes does one wear. Do they have those or do we have to buy them.

You've heard lots of answers to your basic question. I agree that a. Your tour will provide whatever you need, and b. You need sunscreen and t-shirt. In addition, let me say that I strongly recommend that you do NOT go snorkeling for the first time on your cruise! Please please try it out in a pool or lake first! Even if you consider yourself a strong swimmer and totally at home In the water. My point is that there is a trick to using the snorkel to breath. Learn that before you get to your snorkel paradise in the Caribbean! Don't waste your precious minutes in the water with lessons on how to use the equipment.

Have fun!

So so true.....I have seen so many families struggling and impatient and not having any fun....the ocean is always moving.....learn in a pool....I used my hot tub!....it won't take very long and you won't waste time trying to figure it out on a tight schedule in moving water!!...

Oh, oh, LIP BALM!

Bring lip balm with sunscreen and be sure to use it repeatedly! You will be right on the water's surface and when you don't have your face in the water, your lips will be right where the sunlight is bouncing off the water. You do NOT want to get sunburned lips. I forgot my lip balm once when I was teaching diving and my lips got burned...so painful!

Didn't read every post carefully so my apologies if it has already been mentioned. They will probably give you a "crash course" on the basics. If you do not see them rinse the mask in salt water...rinse it yourself BEFORE you put in on your face. On our first excursion as a family we all used their equipment even though my son and I are PADI certified and have everything except our own tanks. One of the workers wiped the masks with a sanitizing gel (like you see going into the MDR or Buffet) while we weren't looking. Some of it got into my eyes and I could hardly see through the tearing of my eyes for hours.

I also agree that you should do it a couple of times before investing in gear. Besides, if you fly carrying your own gear is unnecessary weight unless you are going to a destination specifically to snorkel and dive.

You've heard lots of answers to your basic question. I agree that a. Your tour will provide whatever you need, and b. You need sunscreen and t-shirt. In addition, let me say that I strongly recommend that you do NOT go snorkeling for the first time on your cruise! Please please try it out in a pool or lake first! Even if you consider yourself a strong swimmer and totally at home In the water. My point is that there is a trick to using the snorkel to breath. Learn that before you get to your snorkel paradise in the Caribbean! Don't waste your precious minutes in the water with lessons on how to use the equipment.

Have fun!

Never thought of that but so true. Slow deep breaths.

Our local dive shop teaches a snorkeling class and it is an excellent class for people who have never gone, not sure if they will like it, poor swimmers, beginners and especially for children. The goal of the course is to help you become more comfortable in the water and improve your skills. I have been on many excursions over my years where a family gets in the water and the kids hate it and start screaming and want to go back to shore. It gets very uncomfortable when the parents start pressuring the boat captain to take them back and then there are the people who get upset because their time was cut short.

The class covers equipment and techniques. People don't realize the importance of a good fitting mask. Our faces all have different shapes and there are many different styles and sizes of masks and it is a too bad when people give up snorkeling because of a leaky cheap mask. A perfectly fitting mask is essential for a good snorkeling experience. That isn't the case when you purchase them without trying them on.

People have no idea how to clear a fogged mask or clear water out of their mask and snorkel and it is much easier to practice this in a pool than out on your first snorkel excursion. When people have some of these issues and don't know how to correct them, they give up and think it isn't for them.

If you want to dive while snorkeling, again, much better to practice in a pool and learn the correct technique. A purge snorkel will work much better but many cheap sets don't have them. And it is better to have a stranger teach these skills rather than a parent.

A course is well worth the cost and the snorkeling will be much more enjoyable with proper training.

Check with your local YMCA; many offer snorkel classes.

SUNSCREEN on the back of your thighs & legs!!! (I learned the hard way in Mexico many years ago.) Back of your neck too.

Lip balm w/sunscreen it great advice too.

Enjoy!:)