Does the fitness center have scales?

bama4cruisin

My DH suffered a heart attack last November. While he completed the cardiac rehab program, is doing great and the cardiologist is totally onboard with this trip, he has been advised to weigh daily to be aware early on of fluid retention.

Can anyone tell me if there are scales in the fitness center on the Constellation? While I try to keep up my activity level when on a cruise, it is usually walking laps on the promenade deck or walking/jogging track and taking the stairs. And I have NEVER wanted to find scales on a cruise😉😘

Good for your husband and I wish him a complete and speedy recovery.

Yes, there are scales, but they've never worked for me while at sea, only in port. Am I the only one to have this problem?

Definitely for us. The movement of the ship causes the scale to give inaccurate readings. Noticed this with different kinds of scales on lots of different ships. The best readings at sea come on the "metal weight" scales (like doctor offices some times have).

When you find a scale, have your husband weigh himself as soon as possible, and then use that reading as his baseline weight and use the same scale every day. It may be off his "home weight" by a few pounds or so, but if he weighs when he first boards he'll have an idea of how things are going.

All the best, and have a good cruise. :)

I know some will disagree with me but we and many others we know have found that drinking the ship's water has an affect on water retention. We never have the problem at home but have found that drinking Evian while on board has been very helpful in preventing the problem. We have all experimented through the years and found it to be true.

The dining room also has low sodium options which are indicated on the menu and you can also discuss them with your waiter or Maitre'd.

Have to agree about the water....I take Lasix for afib and brought my own water a few months ago to see if I could tell the difference....my feet end up looking like shoe boxes but not this time....there was a marked difference so I will be brining it on again unless they start to offer it at reasonable cost like carnival has started doing...I was really surprised at the results....

Thanks for the info about scales in the fitness center. As for the water, fortunately we have the beverage package as a perk so it will be bottled water. At this time, he no longer requires a diuretic (although he'll definitely be taking a filled prescription with him) and hasn't had any issues since early December, but we want to keep it that way.

I know some will disagree with me but we and many others we know have found that drinking the ship's water has an affect on water retention. We never have the problem at home but have found that drinking Evian while on board has been very helpful in preventing the problem. We have all experimented through the years and found it to be true.

The dining room also has low sodium options which are indicated on the menu and you can also discuss them with your waiter or Maitre'd.

This is interesting! I get terrible swelling when we cruise. The last couple of cruises we have had the beverage package and do ask for bottled water at dinner. My question is how we can tell if the water in the bottle is really Evian, etc.? Seems that the bottle is always already opened when the waiter serves it. How do we know that the ships water has not been put in empty bottles?

Have to agree about the water....I take Lasix for afib and brought my own water a few months ago to see if I could tell the difference....my feet end up looking like shoe boxes but not this time....there was a marked difference so I will be brining it on again unless they start to offer it at reasonable cost like carnival has started doing...I was really surprised at the results....

I have A-fib and didn't know that it can cause ankle swelling. I am on two medications, but neither is a diuretic. :rolleyes: One of my meds, Cardizem, causes terrible bloating. :(

This is interesting! I get terrible swelling when we cruise. The last couple of cruises we have had the beverage package and do ask for bottled water at dinner. My question is how we can tell if the water in the bottle is really Evian, etc.? Seems that the bottle is always already opened when the waiter serves it. How do we know that the ships water has not been put in empty bottles?

I have A-fib and didn't know that it can cause ankle swelling. I am on two medications, but neither is a diuretic. :rolleyes: One of my meds, Cardizem, causes terrible bloating. :(

I don't think they would do that.

My DH suffered a heart attack last November. While he completed the cardiac rehab program, is doing great and the cardiologist is totally onboard with this trip, he has been advised to weigh daily to be aware early on of fluid retention.

Can anyone tell me if there are scales in the fitness center on the Constellation? While I try to keep up my activity level when on a cruise, it is usually walking laps on the promenade deck or walking/jogging track and taking the stairs. And I have NEVER wanted to find scales on a cruise

I know some ships, but not all have them. I am the type that weighs myself every single day so I bought a really lightweight scale, very thin, and I take that on every cruise we go on so I can weigh myself in the morning when I get up and head to the gym for my daily workout.

The Aqua Class water is very often sodium free. Evian is probably the lowest out of the bottled waters available on the ship. So many waters have minerals and sodium added which really irritates me.

Two things will contribute to swelling and I get it really bad on cruises. Salt in the food is #1 but I do think the water too.

We normally have suites so we don't get the free water like Aqua Class. I told my butler that I couldn't buy salt-free water on the ship (I looked at labels) and I was concerned about the tap water (I know it's been desalinated but to what degree there is some salt left I don't know). I asked if I could purchase the aqua class water as I had taken a peek at some on my way down the hall one time. He didn't know about any of it but later that day he came back and said he'd deliver 4 to 6 bottles a day for me and he did! I never saw a charge on my bill.

At meals I just had them refill my water glass with Evian. I also avoided the soups and was really careful about choosing salad dressings, I chose foods with no sauces or didn't eat much of the sauce, and tried to eat as clean as possible.

I did prop my feet up as often as I could. We do hang out in our cabin a good bit so it obviously worked.

I had literally no swelling in my feet the entire cruise.

The first thing I do when boarding a new ship is to walk around to find the location of the gym so I don't accidentally pass it on the rest of the cruise.

It is well known that the spa attendants adjust the scales each night...adding 2 pounds to everyone's weight reading the next day.

As a cost saving measure and since weight translates to fuel use, I suggest that Celebrity remove the scales from all their ships to improve operating efficiency.

Should I go on.......

Two things will contribute to swelling and I get it really bad on cruises. Salt in the food is #1 but I do think the water too.

Technically, it's not the amount of salt in the diet, but the ratio of sodium to potassium. So while the food and water aboard tend to have more sodium, this can be easily corrected by adding potassium. You can find potassium supplements at any drug store to help bring the sodium/potassium ratio back in line.