Help with Summit to Bermuda

mizLORInj

Ok so we cruised on Summit in 2010 to Bermuda and while it was a nice cruise, the ship at that time needed a facelift badly, which I know it got at end of 2012.

We have also cruised to Bermuda on NCL Breakaway in 2013 which was great, and while I realize Liberty of the Seas is also an option, we prefer the 7 nighters.

So I'm wondering if we chose Summit, what would be different about Summit this time from 2010? I know it was "Solstice-ized", and I did LOVE the Equinox, but somehow I don't think Summit will be the same at all.

Opinions? Thanks in advance. :confused:

We sailed the Summit out of San Juan last year and she has become my favorite ship. Having not sailed it prior to its facelift, I can only surmise changes included the addition of the Bistro and Blu, plus general overhaul. She is a beautiful ship with an outstanding crew. I can easily say it was the best service we have had in years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We love both classes of Celebrity ships for different reasons. The Summit was given a 'facelift' 2012 but she is still essentially an M class ship. If you really prefer the S class you will not find Summit meeting your expectations any more now than you did in 2010.

Personally there are features on the M class we enjoy, having two different classes of Celebrity ships adds to our enjoyment.

I think it's important to separate out in your mind whether you didn't like Summit because it was a little shabby, or because it compares poorly to Equinox which is an S class ship. Summit has her own charms, she is smaller and I think warmer, but even with a facelift she will never have the modern decor and multiple amenities of Equinox. The refurb added spaces like Qsine and Bistro on 5, but of course it didn't remake the whole ship. Plus, it's already been about 3 years so things like carpets may be showing wear again. Seems to me that if you didn't like Summit the first time around, it won't be much better on the second.

I think it's important to separate out in your mind whether you didn't like Summit because it was a little shabby, or because it compares poorly to Equinox which is an S class ship. Summit has her own charms, she is smaller and I think warmer, but even with a facelift she will never have the modern decor and multiple amenities of Equinox. The refurb added spaces like Qsine and Bistro on 5, but of course it didn't remake the whole ship. Plus, it's already been about 3 years so things like carpets may be showing wear again. Seems to me that if you didn't like Summit the first time around, it won't be much better on the second.

They were changing out sections of carpet in the Oceanview Café when we were docked in Bermuda the first week of June.

We enjoyed at two week westbound TA on the Silhouette in late 2013 and our August 30th sailing on the Summit will be our third time in two years.

Each of the ships have their own charms. For a seven night cruise, we prefer the Summit for its size, warmth and most of all for its convenience - we drive three hours to the port, take whatever luggage we need or want and embarkation/debarkation is a breeze. No flights, no weight limits, no bag fees, etc.

We work stupid, crazy hours and when we travel we want to leave the stupid, crazy stuff behind, so we enjoy cruises with many sea days. For me, there is nothing more pleasant than sitting at the Sunset Bar, smoking a cigar, having a properly prepared mojito (or three) with new friends, solving the problems of the world, or simply reading a book, while taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the sea.

The Summit is big enough to lose yourself in, if you so chose, and small enough to feel cozy; we prefer the crew, as they appear, from a guest's perspective, to be a close knit group.

Would we like to see a larger choice of specialty restaurants? Sure. Would we like to see more activities on the sea days? Yes. We'll see what Ken Mills has planned in nine weeks. Would we like them to get rid of the DJ playing hip hop, or have them play music the adults on the cruise can dance to, you bet!?! That's an issue on every X ship.

Did we love the lawn club and a chance to sit with a large group of cigar smokers at the bow in comfy chairs on the Silhouette? Absolutely! Did we love the Lawn Club Grill and the large Cellar Masters? For sure. Did we drink all the Taylor's 20 year old tawny on the Silhouette and use up all the fresh mint? Damn straight!

But the Silhouette doesn't sail from New Jersey...and they dropped the 123GO promotion (at least the part with the beverage package) on the TA's and TP's...

Derek and Katherine

We feel Summit is in need of upkeep. Not necessarily on the inside, but outside. On other cruises, we saw crew members always doing exterior upkeep on the ships while in port, whether it be scrubbing or painting the hull or redoing the railings on the decks. We never saw this at all during the three days in Bermuda. They didn't even wash the windows. While sitting in Normandie on a couple of nights, by window tables, the window wells on the outside were covered in rust, and not just a speck of rust, but one half of the windows were rusty. Not a good sign of a captain that cares about the appearance of the ship.

That said, we love the M class ships, always have, but for whatever reason, the people who run Summit just don't seem to take as good of care of that ship as she deserves. It makes no difference if she's older, but to have upkeep issues that should be easily taken care of not addressed makes you wonder about those in charge of Summit.

Edited by cruisead

What was it that made you think Summit needed a facelift?

The Summit was "Solticized" in 2012. They added staterooms to deck 11 & deck 3, did away with the kiddie pool, & moved the Fun Dactory to the port side of the Skyview Lounge, & added Bistro on Five & Cafe Biacio,& carved out Blu from one side of one level of the MDR.other than that, I don't think they did much else. So whatever you may or may not think is shabby, may still be the same.

We sailed her in March & thought she was fine, but we've never sailed a Celebrity ship that we thought was shabby.

We feel Summit is in need of upkeep. Not necessarily on the inside, but outside. On other cruises, we saw crew members always doing exterior upkeep on the ships while in port, whether it be scrubbing or painting the hull or redoing the railings on the decks. We never saw this at all during the three days in Bermuda. They didn't even wash the windows. While sitting in Normandie on a couple of nights, by window tables, the window wells on the outside were covered in rust, and not just a speck of rust, but one half of the windows were rusty. Not a good sign of a captain that cares about the appearance of the ship.

That said, we love the M class ships, always have, but for whatever reason, the people who run Summit just don't seem to take as good of care of that ship as she deserves. It makes no difference if she's older, but to have upkeep issues that should be easily taken care of not addressed makes you wonder about those in charge of Summit.

I honestly think that these decisions are made by those at a pay grade above the Captain. I'm pretty sure that the two (very) capable Masters of the Summit are not happy about the rust either. But, if Miami doesn't want to take care of the problem -- not much that an individual (including the Captain) can do about it. :(

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. :cool:

CELEBRITY: Would you please bring one of your S class ships to NJ to do the summer Bermuda runs! It is time for a change from Summit!

That would be wonderful. I love Celebrity Summit but would love to try a newer ship. I don't fly to can't get to anywhere else Celebrity has ships to go on.

Laura

We are comparing apples to oranges, and as I have said before opinons are all subjective. IMHO Summit is a Lady showing age gracefully and although she is aging she meets my expectations 150%. Rebooked another cruise on her because she is what I look for when cruising. I look for smaller, warmer, destination and availability and Summit has it all.

That would be wonderful. I love Celebrity Summit but would love to try a newer ship. I don't fly to can't get to anywhere else Celebrity has ships to go on.

Laura

I've been begging for that for awhile now, I think they may have to make some modifications at the pier though and get permission of course from Bermuda. I know they had to do some changes at the dock for Breakaway. Perhaps when the new ships arrive, we might see a change, guess it depends where they can make the most money.

I was just on the Summit and it was wonderful, they keep it very clean and I believe she's going in for some work early next year.

We were on the Summit to Bermuda a year ago and again last week - just got off this morning - and while we had a lovely cruise and enjoy the Summit staff tremendously, the ship was showing much more interior rust and and maintenance issues than a year ago. We aren't overly troubled by such, but we're very surprised. It was the first time we commented on maintenance in 13 Celebrity cruises.

Again, we had a lovely time.

CELEBRITY: Would you please bring one of your S class ships to NJ to do the summer Bermuda runs! It is time for a change from Summit!

I bet this will not happen until their new ships, "Project Edge", are sailing which is not suppose to happen until 2018. Maybe after those ship are out and they start selling the M Class then an S Class will come back to New Jersey.

My DH and I both felt that the Summit was long overdue for a refurb. We, as well as so many others on the ship, had recurring problems with the plumbing in the WC and felt that the ship looked very tired. I last sailed on the Summit in July 2012, and it seemed to me that she had been rather badly neglected over the course of the past three years. The staff and Bermuda were great, though!

We were on the Summit to Bermuda a year ago and again last week - just got off this morning - and while we had a lovely cruise and enjoy the Summit staff tremendously, the ship was showing much more interior rust and and maintenance issues than a year ago. We aren't overly troubled by such, but we're very surprised. It was the first time we commented on maintenance in 13 Celebrity cruises.

Again, we had a lovely time.

My DH and I both felt that the Summit was long overdue for a refurb. We, as well as so many others on the ship, had recurring problems with the plumbing in the WC and felt that the ship looked very tired. I last sailed on the Summit in July 2012, and it seemed to me that she had been rather badly neglected over the course of the past three years. The staff and Bermuda were great, though!

She is getting a refurbishment in February of next year. We're sailing on her again next year so looking forward to the new look.

We were on the 31 May sailing also, and noticed they were replacing portions of the carpet in the buffet area while the ship was in Bermuda.