Passports and Money Belts

Sadie65

We will be on the Regal Princess in July for the Scandinavia and Russia cruise.

The cruise is very port intensive, starting in Copenhagen, with stops in Oslo, Gothenburg, Warnemunde, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm.

I know that we will need to have our Passports when we enter St. Petersburg, but does anyone know if we need to carry our Passports whenever we leave the ship in the other ports?

Also, with all of the pickpocket warnings, do I need to buy a Money Belt for those times when my Passport is necessary?

Which Money Belt would you recommend?

Thanks,

Sadie

Never been to Russia but some places we've traveled in Italy and certainly Barcelona are famous for their pickpockets. I bought a device, larger than a money belt but smaller than a big fanny-pack, made by a company called PacSafe. It fits a lot of stuff! They make all sorts of travel gear from purses, to backpacks to fanny-packs that are all highly secure. They have metal thread running through them that make them impossible to slit and have very secure locking zippers than make it very difficult for anyone (other than the person wearing it) to get into! Both I and my DW have one of their products.

The cruise is very port intensive, starting in Copenhagen, with stops in Oslo, Gothenburg, Warnemunde, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm.

I know that we will need to have our Passports when we enter St. Petersburg, but does anyone know if we need to carry our Passports whenever we leave the ship in the other ports?

Also, with all of the pickpocket warnings, do I need to buy a Money Belt for those times when my Passport is necessary?

Thanks,

Sadie

We have Lewis & Clark Brand soft ripstop nylon passport holders. These are fully enclosed and have zipper pockets. They hang around the neck. We place them under our shirts and they are not uncomfortable.

We also carry a small purse, change purse size, that has a zipper and a ring. This is attached to a lanyard, the lanyard is then placed around the belt, and into a pocket. We keep the cruise card, one credit card and a small amount of cash in this purse.

I also have a PacSafe man purse:D that I carry whenever I'm on an excursion, or just off the ship, wandering around. I'm very pleased with it.

Edited by Treven

I also have a use a PacSafe "man bag" that is use in Europe. It holds all of the essentials including a camera and of course my compact and lipstick.:D Seriously, it takes a couple of hours to get used of it but after that it is terrific. Mine is an earlier version of this one.

As for passports you will be advised in the Patters which ports of call you will need to take your passport ashore in....when not required I advise leaving them in your cabin safe.

http://www.pacsafe.com/metrosafe-100-gii-hip-shoulder-bag.html

Edited by Putterdude

DH wears the around the neck pouch under his shirt. He has been known to carry an old empty wallet in his back pocket. Once he felt someone go for it, but he moved and the hand ran. I think that was in Barcelona. It was kind of an experiment. Good for a decoy tho.

I carry a cross body bag. I keep it nuzzled close to my body. I was amazed how some tourists carried their purses... I think I could have grabbed and run with them.:rolleyes:

There are lots of groups that work by distracting a tourist ..maybe spilling something on someone and then while helping to clean off your shirt, a partner does the pick pocket routine. Others use kids as distraction. Best advice is be aware and be over dilligent. Don't be stopped and distracted.

Edited by eandj

..[do you] need to carry [y]our Passports whenever [you] leave the ship in the other ports?

I don't specifically know and would think not -- although I personally would.

... do [you] need to buy a Money Belt for those times when [your] Passport is necessary? [and] Which Money Belt would recommend?

Yes, it would be an extremely wise to acquire a money belt. Any basic money belt is fine and will do the job. Just make sure you wear it as designed, underneath your clothes. We've had personal experiences with swarms of gypsies and pickpockets on public transportation in a handful of European cities and I guarantee that 99% of the time they'll seek out anything that is attached to the outside of your body -- if they SEE something, to them it means, "Great -- that's where the valuables are kept," and you're marked as a target. And it's of little matter if it has zippers, snaps, or padlocks, you wear it on your back, side, or in front of you. They're experts and can get into it or them. You know it's happening when you notice folks getting too near you and the waiving of newspapers, cardboard, or someone (they're confederate(s)) making a commotion. Those few seconds you look away is all the main actor needs. If you have a money belt tucked underneath your clothes they will take a pass on you. Out of sight is out of mind. And BTW, refrain from accessing it near crowds or just before stepping on a public conveyance. Bad timing. Beyond that, a little nudging and exploring of your person by thieves is all part of the fun! :p

I have a slightly different take on PacSafe products. I wore a regular money belt under my clothes every time I went to Europe for 20 years (I think my current one is a Rick Steves belt, but any of them would do).

When I went to South America, I wanted a PacSafe bag to carry over my clothes and DH demanded (really, he was that adamant) that I not get one. His concern was that, in trying to pull or cut the bag off of me, a would-be thief would hurt me, knock me down, cut me, etc. His theory was that it was better to keep valuable things hidden in my money belt out of sight, and not to keep anything valuable on the outside of my clothes that might attract attention and which might end up in my personal injury. As for my camera, we decided that if a thief really wanted it, let them have it. That's why we buy trip insurance.

So we stick with using money belts under our clothes, and even have the small cloth sacks that go around our necks and hold our passports. We use these mostly when flying, as they provide easy access to our travel documents and allow us to comfortably keep our passports and credit cards right against our chests under our clothes in case we nap on a plane (because a friend of mine had her passport stolen out of her bag in the overhead compartment on a long flight which was pretty much a disaster when she landed and couldn't go through immigration).

On those Baltic cruises, the only port we had to take our passports off the ship was St. Petersburg.

My husband and I have the passport holders that we wear around our neck. They have the chords that have metal running through them so can't be cut.Lightweight, and room for some money as well as credit cards.When I travel to cruise ship, I have a purse that is called PacSafe.

Crossbody, metal through the straps, and locks so not very easy for someone to open.

Pick pocketing on the Baltic cruise had the biggest warning in St. Petersburg. Private tour guide kept warning us in spots where this can happen.

Thanks,

Sadie

Are you on the July 7th sailing? If so, we are on the same cruise. My experience in Europe is that there are not many ports that require one to carry passports. In fact the only country I remember having to do so was the Czech Republic. I'm assuming we will only need to do so in Russia.

After many trips to Europe, I'm finally breaking down and using a money belt. We've been in many high pick pocket cities like Barcelona and Rome and have never had a problem, but decided why push our luck.

I have a slightly different take on PacSafe products. I wore a regular money belt under my clothes every time I went to Europe for 20 years (I think my current one is a Rick Steves belt, but any of them would do).

When I went to South America, I wanted a PacSafe bag to carry over my clothes and DH demanded (really, he was that adamant) that I not get one. His concern was that, in trying to pull or cut the bag off of me, a would-be thief would hurt me, knock me down, cut me, etc. His theory was that it was better to keep valuable things hidden in my money belt out of sight, and not to keep anything valuable on the outside of my clothes that might attract attention and which might end up in my personal injury. As for my camera, we decided that if a thief really wanted it, let them have it. That's why we buy trip insurance.

your husband is a REALLY smart guy…hard to argue the common sense in his opinion!

PS: i always enjoy reading your cruise travel blog

We've used an Eagle Creek money belt but prefer our current one from Rick Steves. My wife wears it & I purchased a small wallet with a clip to secure in my front pocket with my driver's license, copy of passport & creditcard. Once in Talinn Estonia my cruise card was loose in my front pocket & unbeknownst to me fell out when I took out my wallet. I showed the gate & ship security the copy of my passport and they allowed me to board the ship & go to the PSD to get another card. My cruise card is now also in that small wallet & I keep my hand in my pocket whenever near anyone.

It's been too long since our Baltic's cruise & do not recall the requirements in each port including St Petersburg. During our South America cruise they took our passports when boarding in Buenos Aires & kept them for most of our cruise to LA. We always bring a couple of color copies that we carry with us when going into ports & by having a copy in our cabin I've read that could expedite reissuing our passport if we ever lost ours from carelessness or theft.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Another vote for a Pacsafe bag when in port and wear it across your body.

I agree!! The Pacsafe products are easily recognizable and 99.9% of the pickpockets/thieves will go after much easier targets like fanny packs and backpacks. Thieves may grab your purse if you just have it over your shoulder but they know they cannot do a quick grab and run when you wear it cross body.

I agree!! The Pacsafe products are easily recognizable and 99.9% of the pickpockets/thieves will go after much easier targets like fanny packs and backpacks. Thieves may grab your purse if you just have it over your shoulder but they know they cannot do a quick grab and run when you wear it cross body.

99.9%??? How do you know that?? But they can do more physical damage to your body if they decide to grab and run. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

99.9%??? How do you know that?? But they can do more physical damage to your body if they decide to grab and run. :(

I have been to the UK, Rome, Barcelona and Paris and I always have a bag when in port. I have an umbrella, water bottle and maybe and extra sweater etc. So you are saying no one should wear/take a bag when in port in case some one should try to grab it and knock them down or something? They could have all their valuables in a money belt and still get hurt right! It is usually a slash and grab as well and the Pacsafe bags don't slash and the bad guys know it.

First of all, why,on this cruise would you want to carry very much cash with you? In St. Petersburg you will either be on a ship tour or a pre-arranged private tour. IMHO, in the other ports you will be going to the chance of pickpockets is no more than you would expect anywhere in the U.S.

Carry your ID, and a credit card (not American Express because it's not universally accepted) in a front pocket or a shoulder strap purse and you'll be fine. Don't fall for all this travel paranoia!

I wore a Rick Steves money belt when in Venice and Rome and it gave me peace of mind.

I tote a bag of cameras but run the strap around my neck and across my chest and hold on to the strap through habit. I use one camera at a time and close the bag when doing so.

At a restaurant I'd put the bag at my feet and trap the strap with my chair leg.

I always walked with the camera bag between me and the street in case of a scooter snatch.

I've never worn jewelry or an expensive watch so no concerns there. If I did I would err on the side of caution and leave them in the ship or hotel safe.

Peace of mind.

It's a jungle out there... (the Amazon)

Norris

I have been to the UK, Rome, Barcelona and Paris and I always have a bag when in port. I have an umbrella, water bottle and maybe and extra sweater etc. So you are saying no one should wear/take a bag when in port in case some one should try to grab it and knock them down or something? They could have all their valuables in a money belt and still get hurt right! It is usually a slash and grab as well and the Pacsafe bags don't slash and the bad guys know it.

You are putting words in my mouth. Where did I say you should not carry a bag??? A slash and grab would mean the carrier would get slashed because the PS bags are slash proof. Where do you come up with your numbers of 99.9%??? I do not agree with the false sense of security that one "MAY" get with a PS bag. This is "my opinion". I don't offer bogus statistics for protection that a money belt may offer.

We have traveled around the world for 20 plus years........I agree about the money belt. The thought of someone getting really hurt with a Pac Safe bag is a strong possibility and the reason we do not use one. Out of sight out of mind.

Ok I get it now! Just the Pacsafe bag may cause someone to get hurt but other bags are ok.

Like a couple others have said, I use a Rick Steves (www dot rick steves dot com) money belt for my money, credit card, passport, and cruise card. It needs to be worn UNDER clothing so as not to be seen by others - this is your "deep storage." I can't imagine anyone would wear one outside their clothing, but I've read about it. When I need to access my money belt, I either go into a restroom or stand in some quiet place with my back to people. It is quick and easy to get into.

I usually also carry a small bag/purse with just my water bottle, money equal to $20 for small purchases, and a guidebook.

He has been known to carry an old empty wallet in his back pocket. Once he felt someone go for it, but he moved and the hand ran. I think that was in Barcelona. It was kind of an experiment. Good for a decoy tho.

I did something similar once when I was in Paris. I traveled around the city on the Metro subway wearing a backpack (with nothing in it) that I had put locks on all the zippered compartments except one that was at the top of the backpack. Nothing was in it, but I was curious if someone would try to open it. Lo and behold, it didn't take but 5 min. and I checked the unlocked compartment and it was open! I had not felt anything. So I zipped it back up and got back on the subway. This time I was standing up and a man in a business suit was behind me (I saw him in the reflection of the subway door). I felt the backpack move and heard the zipper being opened. I looked back at him but he stood there stonefaced. When I got out, the compartment was indeed open.

So . . . . even though you might not think a thief can get your things, think twice. You likely won't even feel anything. Moral of the story is use an under-clothing money belt and you can keep your vacation from turning into a nightmare. :p

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I haven't really talked with many pickpockets and thieves but your 99.9% figure seems a little high to me.