Coffee maker in cabin

IdRatherBCruisin

That would be great. Didn't have them in 2013. Had small kettle this year on RCI Mariner of the Seas. Maybe it is an Asian cruising thing?

Exactly.

We were on the Mariner during its repositioning cruise from Galveston to Singapore. On the last segment of that cruise they added the kettles to the staterooms.

That was just one of a number of changes they made for the Asian market.

• 2 weeks later...
No, even with "auto shut off", they are not allowed. Mr. Coffee almost went out of business a while back due to lawsuits about the home fires caused by their coffee makers not shutting off.

Those lines that do provide coffee makers in the cabins inspect them monthly, so they know that the units are safe. Heck, I can remember when the electricians had one in their shop for testing, and left it on with no one there, and it went up in flames.

I have heard the safety briefing at muster drill on Golden Princess as recently as last year (yes, I do listen) and they clearly state that such devices that do not have an automatic off feature are not allowed (I'm paraphrasing from my faulty memory). That tells me that devices with an automatic off feature ARE allowed.

The biggest danger to any ship is fire. The problem I have with those that say they are "safe", this is self accessed and I do not want to be at the mercy of someone that wants convenience.

Doug

I will submit that any hair straightener/flat iron is just as dangerous as a coffeemaker, probably more so. Yet those are allowed (perhaps wild-eyed frizzied hair women are more dangerous than fire:p), and many of them don't shut off automatically (mine does).

I have heard the safety briefing at muster drill on Golden Princess as recently as last year (yes, I do listen) and they clearly state that such devices that do not have an automatic off feature are not allowed (I'm paraphrasing from my faulty memory). That tells me that devices with an automatic off feature ARE allowed.

I will submit that any hair straightener/flat iron is just as dangerous as a coffeemaker, probably more so. Yet those are allowed (perhaps wild-eyed frizzied hair women are more dangerous than fire:p), and many of them don't shut off automatically (mine does).

Mine shuts off too! Thank God! I really don't want to travel "curly" all the time and need my flat iron!! LOL!

NCL has coffee makers in the cabins....in the suites anyway....and they are great because they are actually espresso/cappucinno machines! I wish Princess had those, but then there wouldn't be a need for Coffee cards! ;)

It's a funny day on Cruise Critic. I just read a thread where people are saying some cruise lines don't have self-serve laundry facilites because they are a fire hazard. And here, we have people saying Princess doesn't have coffee makers because they are a fire hazard. Anyone else see the irony? ;)

Definitely a funny day, we are just of Celebrity Eclipse and they don't have any self-serve laundry but they do have kettles in their rooms when sailing from the UK. Every line has its own rules and we just need to respect that.

Princess does not allow electric coffee makers in the cabins. If you try and sneak one on and they find out then they will take if from you. Here is what I do. I bring a French press coffee pot. Easy to use and it makes great coffee. It is not electric, it is a press. Bring your own favorite ground coffee and also a Small size insulated pot that can hold hot water. The lido has hot water 24 hours a day in the coffee area. Just go up and fill your insulated pot with hot water and then use it with your French press in your cabin to make fantastic tasting coffee. If you have never used a French press buy one and test it at home. You will see how easy it is to use. You might think it is a big production to do this but if you like good coffee it might be worth it to you. It is to me at least.

• 2 months later...

I have brought a one cup Black and Decker coffee maker on every cruise so far. It's out in the open for all to see. As long as it is auto shut off (which it is) and has no hot plate (which it doesn't), they have had no problem with it. I unplug it after making the coffee. No where in any documentation does it say you cannot have it in the room. My cabin stewards have never said that it was not allowed. This topic has been going around for years here and still manages to rile up the troops. I don't want to trek all over the ship to get a cup of coffee in the morning or wait an hour for room service. We all have opinions but only Princess knows for sure (and good luck getting a straight, factual answer from them too; I tried)

This is what I found in the Personalizer Documents section. It's taken from the "Safety Information" section of "Additional Forms and Documents".

The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of

non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not

permitted in your stateroom; please do not bring this type of equipment with you

So an auto thermal shut-off heater (Like the Black and Decker mentioned earlier) should be acceptable. I have used one in the past just to heat water for instant coffee (VIA)

:D Sorry, don't mean to laugh. I just get a kick at how Cruise Criticers think sometimes. :D

I am laughing...hard. Because just look through a couple of threads and you'll see several posts about not wanting to take a suit for formal nights because of the extra space the suit will take up in the case (and mention airline fees for said bags as well) yet, here we are talking about taking a coffee pot. :cool:

I too must have my morning coffee, but I'm not willing to drag along a pot and the supplies when I can walk to any number of areas of the ship and get pretty good coffee.

I am laughing...hard. Because just look through a couple of threads and you'll see several posts about not wanting to take a suit for formal nights because of the extra space the suit will take up in the case (and mention airline fees for said bags as well) yet, here we are talking about taking a coffee pot. :cool:

I too must have my morning coffee, but I'm not willing to drag along a pot and the supplies when I can walk to any number of areas of the ship and get pretty good coffee.

Everyone has there own priorities. DW needs her morning coffee and we tried bringing a French press on one cruise but what a mess. Now I am DW's "coffee maker" as I throw on some sweats and get a mug full of fresh brewed coffee from the IC at around 6:30am every morning.

Everyone has there own priorities. DW needs her morning coffee and we tried bringing a French press on one cruise but what a mess. Now I am DW's "coffee maker" as I throw on some sweats and get a mug full of fresh brewed coffee from the IC at around 6:30am every morning.

And please, don't think I was criticizing, that wasn't my intention at all. I'm the same guy who will go into my hotel room, check it out and then come down for my bags because as a former hotel worker, I'm very picky about the rooms I stay in.

Just funny that some will mention space constraints for not having a suit while others will take the kitchen sink.

We take four to five cases with us on a seven day trip. ONE belongs to me!! LOL

Not worth the risk. Plenty of coffee available via room service and on decks. Please do not chance a fire. Do Not bring coffee makes on board as a courtsey to other passengers who do not want a fire to ruin their vacation.

Edited by Medfield98

Princess does not allow electric coffee makers in the cabins. If you try and sneak one on and they find out then they will take if from you. Here is what I do. I bring a French press coffee pot. Easy to use and it makes great coffee. It is not electric, it is a press. Bring your own favorite ground coffee and also a Small size insulated pot that can hold hot water. The lido has hot water 24 hours a day in the coffee area. Just go up and fill your insulated pot with hot water and then use it with your French press in your cabin to make fantastic tasting coffee. If you have never used a French press buy one and test it at home. You will see how easy it is to use. You might think it is a big production to do this but if you like good coffee it might be worth it to you. It is to me at least.

no offense but if I wanted to trek up to the buffet or down to the IC, I would just get coffee there. I like to wake up on the balcony with coffee before leaving the room and hate waiting for luke warm crappy coffee from room service. No one has been able to show in writing where coffee makers are not allowed. Princess can't even tell me so until then, I just bring the safest one I can find and await the experts on board's decision whether I can use it or not.

What makes it legal to be onboard?

"Legal" may be an inappropriate term but there is nothing in our legal passage contract that prohibits electrical appliances. Others have cited the request to not bring non auto-shut off small appliances.

As to bringing the "kitchen sink" -- we each bring a 25" bag plus a small day pack. Our travel kettle takes up no more space than a hair dryer.

Edited by Alaskanb