Medication left in cabin

murphyjl

I wipe down the cover over the ceiling ventilation fan and it's even worse. No, these cabins are not "clean" to the same degree I clean at home.

I never thought of that one but I think I'll check it out next cruise. Better bring more wipes!

I'm not - but the Doctor on my ship reports to me.

A bit off topic, but if you can tell him what to do medical services are a lot less separated from the ship than what I've read before.

He tells me that the average passenger he sees in our clinic is taking 18 different medications.

Maybe it's just me, but 18 different medicines (on average) spells "Over-medicated".

While the population on a ship is different from average, and the population visiting a doctor while on a ship would be even more away from average, I simply can't believe 18 different medications on average. I'm not a doctor but in medical IT. I've never seen a record showing 18 medications taken at the same time. Just 5 or more is known as "poly-pharmacy" in Holland, and reason for special meetings between doctors and pharmacists to weed out or replace conflicting/double/hazardous medication. At 18 medications they probably should invite the dietician to the meeting as well.

Goodness, I am checking under the bed next cruise for sure.:eek:

I found someone's pajama bottoms stuffed down inside a sofa at a hotel. I didn't ask for a refund, I put them in the garbage. :rolleyes:

I simply can't believe 18 different medications on average. I'm not a doctor but in medical IT. I've never seen a record showing 18 medications taken at the same time.

Not necessarily taking 18 at the same time.

Could be taking (as an example) 6 in the morning, 6 at dinner, and 6 at bedtime.

Often some of the pills are being taken to lessen the side effects of other pills.

I am feeling very underprivileged about not finding guckie things in our cabin...well if you don't count the bra we found in a drawer once. But seriously stuff get left and found some of the best 4 & 5* hotels. Its no big deal, call the steward, or housekeeping it will be looked after. If you want to wipe down your cabin with Lysol or Clorox wipes, do so....it your home for the next__days, frankly we don't bother and never have come down with anything other then colds which we probably picked up in the theatre or elevators.

I'm with you. I can't imagine why I would want to wipe down any room I stayed in. If it's that gross, then I would notify someone to clean it up. I've spent my life on the road with my job and stayed in more hotels than I want to remember - I'm still alive and kicking and probably healthier than most people.

Anyone think the standard of cabin cleaners has dropped? Just back from Caribbean Princess and was disappointed to find somebody had obviously dropped a pill of some sort and it fell under bed. It was only just under the bed so if the room had been cleaned properly it would have been found. I had two young children in my cabin who could easily have eaten it. If my son of two had taken this pill and fell ill I would have had no idea what it was. Poor.

Cleaning the floor of the cabin involves picking up any obvious junk and then vacuuming the carpet. It is not an inch by square inch hard-target search. A single pill would not be necessarily be obvious to anyone not on their hands and knees. I don't think a missed pill is indicative of a lowering of standards. Luckily, your child was not endangered by this potential possible hazard.

Not necessarily taking 18 at the same time.

Could be taking (as an example) 6 in the morning, 6 at dinner, and 6 at bedtime.

Often some of the pills are being taken to lessen the side effects of other pills.

I meant "currently prescribed medications", not literally swallowing them. 18 pills per day is not that uncommon, I was thinking 18 different medications.

With all the things we've found left by the previous(?) occupants of our cabins, why haven't we found money?!:D

We have found a few pennies and dimes.:D But did find a gold pendant on a chain under the lip of the cabin safe which we turned into the PSD. Lesson, always run your finger under the lower, inside lip of the safe before leaving the cabin for the last time.

Rule of thumb is that anyone is at a risk of a medication interaction if they are taking 7 or more medications. The statistics for people taking their medications correctly range from 43 to 52%. Numbers worsen with increasing number of meds and age. Yes, I am a medical professional. (Nurse practitioner who works ED and as hospitalist)

I am also a bit creeped out by the reports of lack of cleanliness and foreign objects found in the cabins. Guess I will need to bring my Lysol wipes.

Totally off topic, but what would define "risk of medication interaction"? Even grapefruit combined with some very common medications gives a serious interaction.

Cleaning the floor of the cabin involves picking up any obvious junk and then vacuuming the carpet. It is not an inch by square inch hard-target search. A single pill would not be necessarily be obvious to anyone not on their hands and knees. I don't think a missed pill is indicative of a lowering of standards. Luckily, your child was not endangered by this potential possible hazard.

Also small, hard tablets are notorious for evading vacuum cleaners. Unless you manage to get the the nozzle directly over them they don't get sucked up, and even then they can be stubborn.

Also small, hard tablets are notorious for evading vacuum cleaners. Unless you manage to get the the nozzle directly over them they don't get sucked up, and even then they can be stubborn.

So true - my husband takes a lot of meds and every week he puts his pills in one of those daily pill things to stay organized. He always manages to drop one or two on the rug under the kitchen table. My Kirby and Shark,(which both could suck up an elephant), always seem to miss them - especially when they are close to a table or chair leg.

Edited by mek