Medication left in cabin

murphyjl

As noted, in order to turn around quickly, the stewards are supplemented by other staff for changeover, often entertainment, dining and food prep staff. They get a little extra money for this. To put it bluntly, there is no possible way a single steward can properly clean 14 cabins in 3 hours while dealing with luggage turnover, etc.

Most times, the stewards will focus on bathrooms and bedding and leave the vacuming/dusting etc to the supplemental staff. If the supplemental staff is working behind the steward and they don't have a chance to get back to the room and check before you show up...

Just had the best cabin steward of our 35+ cruises last week- Ruby on the Crown out if Seattle. I would think any cleaning issues would be related to an individual - not lower company standards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Us, too. Darwin on the Regal this month. Our room was immaculate; he was very attentive and personable!

Another place to always check is under the bottom drawer in the drawers at the desk.

Items can fall off of the back of the drawer, go under the bottom drawer and stay there until someone accidentally finds them.

I always check this at the end of a cruise to be sure I have not lost something.

Yes, I have found numerous socks (never a pair) this way. Straight into the bin they go.

A bar of soap covered in hairs laying on top of the shampoo pump bottles in the shower from the prior cruise. :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Over the years have found hair/food/medication/used diapers/thongs (with stripes)/bras, and a lot of dust and uncleaned bathrooms. etc etc etc.

Good grief, a good thing you cruise a lot or we would think you are very unlucky.

Edited by MicCanberra

Over the years have found hair/food/medication/used diapers/thongs (with stripes)/bras, and a lot of dust and uncleaned bathrooms. etc etc etc.

I find it interesting that you/we can find these things but the original owners cannot. We must go around and check at least 3 or 4 times before we leave the cabin for any misplaced items and even look under the beds.

I find it interesting that you/we can find these things but the original owners cannot. We must go around and check at least 3 or 4 times before we leave the cabin for any misplaced items and even look under the beds.

I know! We do too. And I still left my phone charger in the cabin on the Emerald in March. :rolleyes:

Took 2 months to get it mailed back from Princess.

I know! We do too. And I still left my phone charger in the cabin on the Emerald in March. :rolleyes:

Took 2 months to get it mailed back from Princess.

I also do several thorough sweeps of the cabins before exiting. You were lucky with your charger, although you would have had to buy another one anyway.:D

On our last cruise I was so surprised. I have medication that has to be kept cold, so I open the refrigerator. Surprise! There's a half eaten wrapped sandwich and an open soda can. :eek:

I did not put his name in for good service but I did give him an extra tip @ the end of the cruise as he did my a special favor.:D

I know they are busy but that was definitely a bad oversight on his part.

In this age of over-medication, we have cruise passengers popping (and dropping) pills constantly around the ship.

On my ship we have the "Pick-up Club". All crew are required to pick up any and all items and debris they find discarded on the floors around the ship. On a typical day I find quite a few unidentified tablets on the floors around the public areas of the ship.

At the same time we have parents letting their children crawl around - barely supervised - on those same floors.

It's a wonder we do not have more problems with this sort of thing.

Things get hectic on change over days. I have found similar things in hotel rooms. If it is too hard or messy for you to pick up just ask your steward to come in and fix it. Problem solved.

As noted, in order to turn around quickly, the stewards are supplemented by other staff for changeover, often entertainment, dining and food prep staff. They get a little extra money for this. To put it bluntly, there is no possible way a single steward can properly clean 14 cabins in 3 hours while dealing with luggage turnover, etc.

The assumption here is that the pill (or anything else) was just under the bed during the previous 24 hours.

The pill may have been there for days.

How about a nearly complete bar set up in a cabinet?

Our first time cruising Princess, in a suite and we found this after we had exchanged out our set up for sodas. Tons of water, some sodas and a couple beers. I didn't know who to notify (room service vs the steward) It was an amount that would make me assume the previous guests were elite, or on a B2B and stowed the extras in a cabinet then forgot about them?

A little gift for our anniversary!

How about a nearly complete bar set up in a cabinet?

Our first time cruising Princess, in a suite and we found this after we had exchanged out our set up for sodas. Tons of water, some sodas and a couple beers. I didn't know who to notify (room service vs the steward) It was an amount that would make me assume the previous guests were elite, or on a B2B and stowed the extras in a cabinet then forgot about them?

A little gift for our anniversary!

Lucky for you I suppose. Great score at the start of the cruise.:D

When unpacking for a cruise I was putting clothes away in the closet and found a cell phone on one of the shelves. It's one thing for the cabin steward to miss it but the cell's owner not to realize he (or she of course) didn't have his phone.

Note made to use a walking stick to check the shelves higher than I can see, holding onto the base and using the handle as a "hook" to bring anything to the edge of the shelf. Will also be wary about putting out my own medication-I'm guilty of putting ALL the tablets out on the table before I start taking them-I must learn a more efficient method. Yes I do, at home, use a compartmentalized 7 day pill box, but always keep medication in the original containers when travelling, even locally, so won't have this option available. Oh, I could ask the chemist if they'd do me up 2 Webster packs covering a fortnight's medication if I brought the Fish Oil and Caltrate tablets in for their use-I usually get a full set of prescriptions meds dispensed specifically for travelling so I know I have plenty. I've a small oval clipped container that holds hair pins, could easily "dispense" the Webster Pak into the opened lid and take them from the lid for accuracy.

THANK YOU for prompting the solution to the perennial problem of safely dispensing medication when I don't see too well. I never thought of using the lid of a container I had to bring with me, to securely hold the tablets until taken.

On the Celebrity Eclipse last year we found men's swim trunks behind the sofa cushions, which we thought was pretty funny (too small for DH :rolleyes:). We simply handed them to our room steward who was embarrassed to have missed them.

Could have been worse... they could have belonged to the steward!:o

Possible, since I think under bed is usually only hit on turnaround, as opposed to daily unless they notice something.

Still holds tho, the occasional staff are far more likely to miss/skip something than the regular stewards.

The assumption here is that the pill (or anything else) was just under the bed during the previous 24 hours.

The pill may have been there for days.

My dad had a simple solution. He carried 2 little tupperware style containers (smallest he could find) and each day loaded up his morning and afternoon pills in them from the larger containers. They stack for easy packing and provide a nice clean way to make sure you have everything handy. I'll do the same at some point as I am sure the quantity of meds I take will increase over time.

Note made to use a walking stick to check the shelves higher than I can see, holding onto the base and using the handle as a "hook" to bring anything to the edge of the shelf. Will also be wary about putting out my own medication-I'm guilty of putting ALL the tablets out on the table before I start taking them-I must learn a more efficient method. Yes I do, at home, use a compartmentalized 7 day pill box, but always keep medication in the original containers when travelling, even locally, so won't have this option available. Oh, I could ask the chemist if they'd do me up 2 Webster packs covering a fortnight's medication if I brought the Fish Oil and Caltrate tablets in for their use-I usually get a full set of prescriptions meds dispensed specifically for travelling so I know I have plenty. I've a small oval clipped container that holds hair pins, could easily "dispense" the Webster Pak into the opened lid and take them from the lid for accuracy.

THANK YOU for prompting the solution to the perennial problem of safely dispensing medication when I don't see too well. I never thought of using the lid of a container I had to bring with me, to securely hold the tablets until taken.

I set my iPhone on my nightstand and put my meds on it. They can't roll off because it's in an Otterbox case. I do it at home, and I use my phone on cruises to play Jeopardy, check Patters and our account on Princess, and use it for wifi, so it's handy for taking meds. If none of that applies, then go with a Tupperware midget. That's what DH uses.

Edited by jagsfan

Possible, since I think under bed is usually only hit on turnaround, as opposed to daily unless they notice something.

Still holds tho, the occasional staff are far more likely to miss/skip something than the regular stewards.

We store our bags under the bed so good luck cleaning under them during a cruise.