Jost Van Dyke shore excursion

IWORK2CRUISE

I saw this description in the shore tour information for our Gem cruise in October.

Escape To Jost Van Dyke

The crew of the motorized catamaran Rebel Yell will greet you, ensure you receive a safety briefing and are settled in before the Captain sets off. This excursion is all about enjoying the thrill of the outdoors, an ideal combination of an invigorating cruise, an idyllic beach and Caribbean ambiance. Sit back and enjoy the views to port and starboard of this island archipelago en route to your first stop, White Bay on Jost Van Dyke. The catamaran will nose up to the beach to allow you to step ashore on one of the British Virgin Islands most magnificent beaches. You'll find yourself in paradise with crystal clear blue waters lapping at a picture perfect white sand beach fringed by palm trees.

Don't miss your chance to visit the world famous Soggy Dollar Bar. Here you can enjoy a refreshing Painkiller, the famous cocktail invented here. Stroll along the beach, swim in the warm waters or simply sit back and soak up some sun, you have plenty time on this trip. To round out your escape to Jost Van Dyke, the crew will supply you with unlimited fruit or rum punch on the return leg to the cruise pier.

Note: In the event conditions are rough, the boat will anchor just short of the beach and guests will swim the short distance to shore (approx. 30'. Participants must be able to swim as there is no dock at White Bay. With the shallow draft of the catamaran, guests can be dropped right at the beach, making it a very short distance to swim ashore. Crew would then assist getting bags ashore, so please limit the size of bags brought on tour.

My husband is not a swimmer. Has anyone done this tour? Did you need to swim ashore?

Thanks!

We did this excursion earlier this month on the Getaway and had the BEST time, both on the ride over and back, as well as the 4 hours we had on JVD.

On the trip over, the seas were pretty calm so it was a nice ride. They pulled right up onto the beach and we walked down into no more than ankle deep water. On the ride back to port, the seas were a little rougher but my son and myself sat right up front on the bow and got pelted by sea spray. I had the biggest grin on my face all the way back. We even drove through a rainstorm :)

Have fun if you go!!

We did this tour and had a great time. My wife does not swim but had no problem as the boat ran up on the beach. Even if it had to anchor it would be no more of a waist deep paddle, they may have a rope to hold onto or the crew would help I am sure. It was a great time go for it.

It specifically states that if it is too rough to pull up that closely, that guests will have to swim. Just because these people didn't have to, has nothing to do with how rough the waters might be on your cruise. It's obviously impossible for anyone here to predict this for your date.

If it is really on a CAT they can get pretty close to shore and you will not have to swim, though you may get off in knee deep water (depending on the tide). if it is a mono hull boat you will have to swim ashore.

This is for those who have been on this excursion...

Is there a taxi/bus ride from the cruise port in Tortola to the catamaran for the excursion?

Thanks!!!

The last time I went to Tortola, I saw the Rebel Yell pulling up to the dock for this excursion and dropping off at the dock as well..... I have not been on this excursion, but the cat and her crew seemed great and I am thinking of going the next time.

This is for those who have been on this excursion...

Is there a taxi/bus ride from the cruise port in Tortola to the catamaran for the excursion?

Thanks!!!

They were waiting at the cruise dock for us. Walk off the ship and down the sidewalk a bit and you're ready to board. They drop you right off at the same place when it's over

We have done this excursion - great fun! But, it was a rough ride over and back. Even though they let us off in shallow water, they made us put on life jackets to go from the boat to the shore and to wade back out to the boat. No need to swim.

I've been on a catamaran to White Bay (not through cruise line) and we had to anchor a little further out due to other boats already being there. I did notice some excursions using the dinghy to ferry people to and from the beach so you may want to ask if this company can do the same. White Bay is a unique experience and one of my favorite places!

I agree about the swim back being a little more interesting than the swim in. Especially if you have a few Painkillers and a rum punch or 2:D. If you do go, let your family/friends back home know what time you'll be there and you can wave to them on the web cam!

• 4 years later...

Last we were in Tortola the Rebel Yell picked passengers up in the same area as the cruise ship docked. 

You walked  off the ship up to the end of the pier and excursion were there.

Rebel Yell crew was great and helped those that needed it. Water was about waist deep for pax that day.  As many have mentioned wind and seas will determine where pax are dropped off.

It is a great excursion.

4 hours ago, beachgoddess said:

It's now 2019 & I'm wondering if anyone has taken this excursion recently.  Need to know how deep the water is once you step off the tour boat.  Not a good swimmer either..........😕

I was also chicken about the same thing before going but absolutely loved this excursion.

We took this excursion via Celebrity, in September. We had to board a catamaran from the Tortola dock. Then a small "barge" transported us from the catamaran to the shore directly. No waist deep water to jump into an no swimming to the shore. It was really very easy to do. We were at the very first beach. Good amount of palapas and shaded area, very nice bar, clean restrooms, showers, picnic lunch tables, lounge chairs in excellent condition. Lunch and 2 drinks were included. Lunch was the normal hamburgers and hot dogs. The water was crystal clear lovely. We walked along the beach to the Soggy Dollar. There were only 5 or so people there. The entire time that we were at White Bay, there were no other tours, local boats etc that came there that day, so it was not crowded at all. I only wish we had some more time on there. The excursion started at 7.30 and we had to leave the beach by 11.30. Every one was dragging their feet and nobody got on to the barge at 11.30 sharp.

Celebrity used some other tour operator, not the Rebel Yell, for this excursion.

We have taken this excursion thru ncl. It was great both times. Yes you may have to swim in or you may not. It depends on the amount of boats already anchored when you arrive. We both are good swimmers and loved it. It really is a great time not to be missed. The crew will help people if needed and provide floatation devices if needed. We have had to either swim in or walk to shore.

was there April 2019

gorgeous beach, pristine sugar.

Walked off the ladder into less than knee deep water with assistance but it was a calm day

Went on the early trip, dragged the family out of bed if I recall 730am, up side by the time we left if was getting crowded with other boats docking and pretty hot in the mid day sun and it allowed us to bum around town afterwards

Down side we were starving when we arrived, no one fed us anything on the way over.  Restaurants on the beach didn't open for about 1 plus hours, my husband went on a 'field trip' with one of the guides to 'town' and did get some coffee.  By the time a place did open up, tacos were delicious but very pricy.

Also there was a minimum amt if you used a credit card, poor people we were near only wanted 2 beers but had to spend a few more bucks to meet the minimum request.

If you want to hang out and just relax, it is a great excursion, one of the prettiest beaches I have been on...sugar

15 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I was also chicken about the same thing before going but absolutely loved this excursion.

We took this excursion via Celebrity, in September. We had to board a catamaran from the Tortola dock. Then a small "barge" transported us from the catamaran to the shore directly. No waist deep water to jump into an no swimming to the shore. It was really very easy to do. We were at the very first beach. Good amount of palapas and shaded area, very nice bar, clean restrooms, showers, picnic lunch tables, lounge chairs in excellent condition. Lunch and 2 drinks were included. Lunch was the normal hamburgers and hot dogs. The water was crystal clear lovely. We walked along the beach to the Soggy Dollar. There were only 5 or so people there. The entire time that we were at White Bay, there were no other tours, local boats etc that came there that day, so it was not crowded at all. I only wish we had some more time on there. The excursion started at 7.30 and we had to leave the beach by 11.30. Every one was dragging their feet and nobody got on to the barge at 11.30 sharp.

Celebrity used some other tour operator, not the Rebel Yell, for this excursion.

Well that makes me feel a little bit better!  I booked this excursion for me & my husband cos it just sounds too beautiful & fun to miss.  I'm sure I'll be fine, but I'm usually nervous about ocean water over my head.  Thanks for your reply!  It was very helpful!

One of the best times.  Going again this November.  Water was never above the waist going to the beach or back to the boat.    You will have a great time.  You should set up a bar crawl while on the beach.  It is 5 bars long.  Also one of the bars has a web cam you can look it up.  We actually said hello to friends on the web cam on one of our trips their.