Big changes coming

redshine

Although all of us are Armchair Admirals to a certain extent, from what I have seen on the two Boards, the people who are most resistant to the two lines amalgamating are the Regent Old Guard who have a horror of Oceania muck contaminating "their" Cruise Line.

I can also play clairvoyant here and point out that the first three people who INSIST that this is not so will also be the people who are most guilty of it. :D

On the other hand, it is impossible to responsibly operate two such similar entities while NOT unifying some operations if only in the interest of "economy of scale", and ALL OF US are watching the bottom line to a certain extent, so I think that the clutching of the pearls can stop now ;):p:D

I am that Regent (Radisson Old Guard) and I am one who embraces the Oceania cruises first now. I have branched out into other kinds of travel as well. The visual of "Clutching of the Pearls" is hysterical. Thanks for that.:rolleyes:

Even if they both became all-inclusive, one would be all-inclusive luxury and the other all-inclusive premium plus.

TC2,

Please explain to me what exactly would make Regent luxury and Oceania premium plus if they both became all-inclusive (in addition to freely interchanging butlers, chefs and GMs)?

Please don't say the clientele :D

TC2,

Please explain to me what exactly would make Regent luxury and Oceania premium plus if they both became all-inclusive (in addition to freely interchanging butlers, chefs and GMs)?

My guess is the same thing that makes people believe that a Cadillac is more luxurious than a Buick...

I am that Regent (Radisson Old Guard) and I am one who embraces the Oceania cruises first now. I have branched out into other kinds of travel as well. The visual of "Clutching of the Pearls" is hysterical. Thanks for that.:rolleyes:

I had a good laugh too! This "Oceania Muck" is about to embark on her first Regent cruise :rolleyes: :p;). We are going with an open mind, as we did on our first Oceania cruise, with the sole aim to have a blooming good time! We've been on Seabourn and Silversea, so the only difference I can see with Regent are the included "free" excursions, leaving aside actual ship differences. (I understand Silversea are now including some excursions). But for this cruise because we've been so busy, I just loved ticking the boxes to choose the excursions rather than spend hours researching private tours - so we will see how that works for us.

Chatkat - my goodness what a glamorous photo of you in your avatar! You are looking fabulous!:D

I have been lurking on the Viking Ocean board to learn more about it's product. But, came to the conclusion, with it's included tours, it wasn't quite for us....since we tend to be more traveler, than tourist in our approach.

However, I do wonder if this is a move toward that (Viking's) business model, rather than a merger of the Regent and O brands.

Right now, with the current Euro X rates being what they are, it makes land travel more alluring. But, I'll watch the cruise pricing, before and after this change with interest.

Edited by buggins0402

But for this cruise because we've been so busy, I just loved ticking the boxes to choose the excursions rather than spend hours researching private tours - so we will see how that works for us.

Chatkat - my goodness what a glamorous photo of you in your avatar! You are looking fabulous!:D

First - thank you for the photo comment. It's my professional headshot and photography is my business.

For the tours - part of the preparation for me is the fun of researching the ports. On our first Oceania Cruise you could buy a package of excursions - one in each port. We booked late and did that and there was no planning. I am just not fond of the big bus tours all including a shopping stop. On our last Regent Cruise one of the places they took us to was a Jewelery Store. I had previously shopped at another store and wanted to go back. The guide would not tell me where that store was as if she did not know it. When I did not go into the store she touted, I found my store - right next door. No commission for her.

First - thank you for the photo comment. It's my professional headshot and photography is my business.

I was going to mention this also. I noticed it last night. Very good avatar.

I'd change mine but since I have a perfect face for radio I'll probably leave it as is.

I think this is a great move. I personally don't like included tours, but I am THINKING that it said for $300 pp you and have these advantages. For once, I have booked the South Pacific. The little islands don't have many tour operators and I am thinking that Oceania will be taking all the good ones, so I did book tours for the smaller islands and it came to $1600. This $300 pp is a good deal IF you like included tours which I generally do not.

Now there are those on this board who are also on the Regent board who are probably horrified that the business model is getting so close. I believe Jim/Stan stated this beautifully. OMG...there is nothing wrong with the models being the same. I don't think the passengers on Oceania are any more a step down from those on Regent. I just think that people on Regent want to be cared for from cradle to grave! Those on Oceania (and don't forget the lovely ships) are more open minded and can care for themselves! My opinion only. I know that Regent will finally have one beautiful ship (and I am booked on it)...finally!

Anyway, we will live and learn.

TC2,

First, and in my opinion, most important is that FDR built Oceania as a premium or premium plus cruise line. He has stated this many times. When NCHL purchased PCH, it was also stated that they wanted three levels of cruise lines - mainstream, premium and luxury. This encompasses most cruising passengers.

Due to cost considerations, NCL passengers are less likely to jump from NCL to Regent. However, they could go from NCL to some of the lower category staterooms on Oceania. Check out the costs and you may see where I am coming from.

Seabourn and Silversea have built new ships in the past few years. None of the new ships have inside cabins (although they are indeed beautifully appointed on Oceania's new ships) or blocked views. And, all of the new ships on Seabourn and Silversea have under 700 passengers (even the ship that was announced by Silversea this week). Silversea's largest ship at the moment holds 540 passengers and Seabourn's ships carries 450 passengers).

A lot of money is going into Regent at the moment - specifically on the Navigator ($40M for the next renovation). The Explorer is costing untold amounts of money. It appears that they are "luxing up" (my term) Regent. Oceania is fixing up an older ship that will ultimately be the same or similar to their current smaller ships. IMO, this is keeping things pretty status quo in terms of ships.

While I hope this is not the case, if Oceania started including alcohol, their selection may be more like what Azamara or Viking Ocean instead of the same as Regent's (if my assessment of the situation is correct).

IMO, there is nothing to gain by making Oceania the same as Regent. Oceania could lose some great customers if they increased prices in order to include alcohol or other things that Oceania passengers prefer to pay for separately.

I am mostly joking about ChatKat saying the same thing for 7 years. I agree that many things are shared by the two cruise lines but there remains differences and I believe this will be true for the foreseeable future.

P.S. Paulchili -- see, I didn't use the 'c' word:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Oceania HAS been essentially raising prices by cutting the number of days on a cruise. This is sort of a deal breaker for me as I like longer cruises. I am keeping my eyes open. However, in my opinion, let us not kid ourselves about price increases! They are there.

I think this is a great move. I personally don't like included tours, but I am THINKING that it said for $300 pp you and have these advantages. For once, I have booked the South Pacific. The little islands don't have many tour operators and I am thinking that Oceania will be taking all the good ones, so I did book tours for the smaller islands and it came to $1600. This $300 pp is a good deal IF you like included tours which I generally do not.

Anyway, we will live and learn.

According to some the tours are only on cruise to Europe, Alaska and Canada

Time will tell if it works out or not

seems to me Oceania passengers do not really need/want that much hand holding ;)

TC2

Just to let you know that I am one NCL customer that can afford to jump to Regent and Oceania in any room I want. I bet others can also do the same. Guess what assume stands for!

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

If it is "only" $300/p then it would not be so bad. Unlimited internet and shore excursions would cost a lot more than $300; even though some get PPG as part of other perks, this may add another $250 or $300 OBC, depending on the length of the cruise.However, internet and OBC for PPG are p/cabin while $300 would be p/p

So - sounds like a reasonable deal at $300/p if one takes many shore excursions, which as we know, are expensive whether taken with cruise line or DIY.

But the "FINAL SALE" had free PPG and UNLIMITED INTERNET...

Just another marketing ploy to sell slow selling cruises. Remember they will have another ship in Europe in 2016....

Your World on Sale

Final Sale

Free Internet (small print concierge and above and it is not unlimited)

2 for 1 prices

Free Air Fare (that is not free)

Anybody care to add to the list.....

Edited by PaulMCO

Just to let you know that I am one NCL customer that can afford to jump to Regent and Oceania in any room I want. I bet others can also do the same.

hmmm...me too. And I bounce back and forth, based on the deal and the type of cruise I want to take.

After sailing both RSSC and O, I find the luxury aspect pretty much on parity, and have confirmed in my mind that lux-lite is a myth.

One is all inclusive, the other is ala carte.

The current strategy on NCL is fare creep, masked by more and more inclusions. On Oceania, I simply think it is a way to fill poorly selling routes and not a strategy to narrow the gap between the two lux offerings.

The current strategy on NCL is fare creep, masked by more and more inclusions. On Oceania, I simply think it is a way to fill poorly selling routes and not a strategy to narrow the gap between the two lux offerings.

We have a winner :D

seems to me Oceania passengers do not really need/want that much hand holding ;)

Agree. Very frequently the average O cruiser is described as "well traveled", which is generally not the type of cruiser that wants the hand-holding ashore, or at least not in every port.

Agree with computerworks. The promotion is a way of filling the ships.

In terms of "snobs"...... I want to say "give me a break", however, not everyone understands the "draw" of luxury cruising. Yes - Oceania cruisers are very experienced - as are Regent cruisers, however, Regent cruisers prefer a different style of cruising. For some luxury cruisers, we have been to the same ports numerous times. We don't need to have our hands held by the crew but appreciate the recognition that they give. Since we have been to many of the ports on prior cruises (which is why many of us dislike included excursions), we just want to stay onboard or walk around the ports and have some coffee/tea/wine and watch the locals.

In terms of this thread, I have no problem with Oceania cruisers that wish to do their own thing. It puzzles me as to why there is a negative reaction to Regent. After all, we are sister companies. On the other hand, I must admit that I still have a challenge seeing NCL as a sister company. I personally tried to welcome NCL passengers on CC and was met with a less than happy response. They seem to almost hate FDR and all that he represents.

The bottom line (at least for us) is that we can book a Regent cruise and have everything taken care of (for us this means Business Class Air, transfers, alcohol, tips, and internet). I need to make a special comment regarding "free" or "included" internet. Oceania and Regent offer "free" internet on some cruises as does Regent. This is not the same benefit as the loyalty benefit offered on Regent. We have paid for included internet on Oceania and learned that only one person at a time (per suite) can access the internet. On Regent, if you are "Gold" or above (Seven Seas Society benefits), both people in a suite can access the internet at the same time. While my DH is not on the internet as much as I am, he does not like to wait to get online.

hypercafe: It is great that you can afford to go from NCL to Regent. Unfortunately, this is not the case for many NCL cruisers. Perhaps the all-inclusive experience is not for you which is very understandable. You have a choice and it sounds like Regent is not for you.

ChatKat: ???????????

Edited by Travelcat2

First, and in my opinion, most important is that FDR built Oceania as a premium or premium plus cruise line. He has stated this many times. When NCHL purchased PCH, it was also stated that they wanted three levels of cruise lines - mainstream, premium and luxury. This encompasses most cruising passengers.

Due to cost considerations, NCL passengers are less likely to jump from NCL to Regent. However, they could go from NCL to some of the lower category staterooms on Oceania. Check out the costs and you may see where I am coming from.

Seabourn and Silversea have built new ships in the past few years. None of the new ships have inside cabins (although they are indeed beautifully appointed on Oceania's new ships) or blocked views. And, all of the new ships on Seabourn and Silversea have under 700 passengers (even the ship that was announced by Silversea this week). Silversea's largest ship at the moment holds 540 passengers and Seabourn's ships carries 450 passengers).

A lot of money is going into Regent at the moment - specifically on the Navigator ($40M for the next renovation). The Explorer is costing untold amounts of money. It appears that they are "luxing up" (my term) Regent. Oceania is fixing up an older ship that will ultimately be the same or similar to their current smaller ships. IMO, this is keeping things pretty status quo in terms of ships.

While I hope this is not the case, if Oceania started including alcohol, their selection may be more like what Azamara or Viking Ocean instead of the same as Regent's (if my assessment of the situation is correct).

IMO, there is nothing to gain by making Oceania the same as Regent. Oceania could lose some great customers if they increased prices in order to include alcohol or other things that Oceania passengers prefer to pay for separately.

I am mostly joking about ChatKat saying the same thing for 7 years. I agree that many things are shared by the two cruise lines but there remains differences and I believe this will be true for the foreseeable future.

P.S. Paulchili -- see, I didn't use the 'c' word:-)

I am a little confused as to what distinguishes a premium cruise line from a luxury line. I have been on Regent once (in a Seven Seas Suite) and Oceania 4 times (in an Oceania suite on the Marina, and owners suite 3 times on the "R " ships. The only difference I noticed was that the price was comparable but Oceania's suite was twice as large. I do not take ship's excursions and we drink very little, so the "free" excursions and all the liquor you can drink do not help me. The food , i think, (subjective of course) was superior on Oceania. The decor, ambience, level of service, and fellow travelers were comparable. So , is the major difference between "luxury" and "premium" the "all inclusive" aspect of the "luxury" lines?

Richard

I am a little confused as to what distinguishes a premium cruise line from a luxury line. I have been on Regent once (in a Seven Seas Suite) and Oceania 4 times (in an Oceania suite on the Marina, and owners suite 3 times on the "R " ships. The only difference I noticed was that the price was comparable but Oceania's suite was twice as large. I do not take ship's excursions and we drink very little, so the "free" excursions and all the liquor you can drink do not help me. The food , i think, (subjective of course) was superior on Oceania. The decor, ambience, level of service, and fellow travelers were comparable. So , is the major difference between "luxury" and "premium" the "all inclusive" aspect of the "luxury" lines?

Richard

+1

See my post #28 above.

In my scenario both cruise lines were "all inclusive" yet apparently one was still a luxury and the other remained premium - so "all inclusive" was not the difference :confused:. It was never explained to me, although Don had a suggestion - maybe you'll get the real answer :)

Edited by Paulchili

In terms of this thread, I have no problem with Oceania cruisers that wish to do their own thing. It puzzles me as to why there is a negative reaction to Regent. After all, we are sister companies. On the other hand, I must admit that I still have a challenge seeing NCL as a sister company. I personally tried to welcome NCL passengers on CC and was met with a less than happy response. They seem to almost hate FDR and all that he represents.

TC, I snipped a lot. My point is that we, at least, have no hostility to Regent and I'm not sure why you think that most Oceania passengers do. Maybe you've received mail that I haven't seen!

We did book an big anniversary cruise a couple of years ago on Regent but it was last minute and we cancelled simply because I couldn't justify to myself $60K for a two week cruise! This was Bangkok to Mumbai which would have entailed a big airfare bill. Plus we were late booking and so when we wait listed for a top suite (not THE top suite but pretty close), we just decided it was too rich for us when we got it. Plus I'd already booked two Oceania cruises around the same time, and so we took those instead.

That's not to say we are hostile to Regent or will never try it! But so far Oceania suits us perfectly. I know that not everyone feels the same. Given my husband's serious vision problems these days, we may not be cruising much in the future anyway.

Mura