Maasdam Stuck in Boston Harbor

Adoremus

This sounds a lot like what happened when I was on the Veendam last September in Quebec City....only we never got away from the dock. We also had toilets, etc. They kept telling us they were working on it until about midnight when they said it couldn't be fixed and the cruise was cancelled. I hope they can fix the problem for you and you'll be on your way.

Thanks. Sounds like you are safe -- you would have been told if that were not the case. Have a good night, and I hope that you will be on your way when you rise in the morning.

Texted with my parents who are aboard for the 14 night RT sailing. Basically what those on board reported is what I heard from them. Last announcement was around dinner time, that was after a late departure caused by a late arriving fuel barge. Then after pulling off dock the power situation got bad.

Now appears some work restored all hotel functions more or less and they are working on the rest of the electrical issues to restore full power and propulsion.

My last text with them was about 3 nearly 4 hours ago when mom said she expected no news before they went to bed. Dad sent a picture of their view of Logan's runway from his balcony and also said no expectation of news before bed.

Looked on Marinetraffic com and see they are still sitting in the special anchorage area well off the end of the runway. (Does seem an odd place for an anchorage though.)

Of course getting info out of HAL in evening hours on a weekend seems to be a dead end since they stay open short hours over the weekend to field calls.

The key is knowing root cause of the system failure and fixing that, not just putting a band aid on the problem where it could easily occur again, perhaps at sea. Sounds like the captain feels the same way based on what I hear he indicated he was doing, which was not going anywhere or making speculation on go forward plans until he knew the cause of the problem. Hopefully he continues to put safety first above all else with regard to sailing the itinerary.

We are currently on the Maasdam. Very comfortable, everything working in out stateroom. Had a wonderful dinner last night.

Unfortunately we are still here in the harbour. I guess we will hear something in the morning. Sad to think this cruise may not happen but happy that we are all safe and comfortable.

BTW the ship is looking beautiful and the crew have been outstanding.

Laurie

I think they are very concerned. We are anchored in the port. Last communication was from the captain about 3 hours ago. 10 PM now. Gonna have hard time getting to Bar Harbour now. Lots of fireworks though. And no Code red. Just normal 48 hour hand you your food

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good To hear that there is no Code Red.

48 hour Code Orange -- wonder if HAL is bringing that back on all ships? We didn't have it on the Zuiderdam back in February/March.

Morning update. The engineering team is working diligently to fix the engine issues. Sounds like most services are functioning. ETA. now is to leave Boston this afternoon when the Coast Guard is satisfied with the repairs. Hope to be underway later today with a modified itinerary. Goods news is it's Beautiful and sunny in Boston Harbor this morning [emoji295]️

Just had an announcement from the captain. He hopes to get underway early this afternoon as soon as repairs are completed and tested. They will update us to the change in itinerary later today.

Just talked to the Neptune Lounge. Propulsion system has been fixed but a long wait for USCG to sign off on us leaving. We will be skipping the Bar Harbour call and going directly to Halifax. Captain says they are working with Seattle for compensation for the problems.

I bet USCG will sign off as quickly as they can see the repairs are really done correctly to fix the core issue not just as a patch.

Based on info passed to me repairs still underway and then USCG has to check them and see tests completed before sail away can commence. Also, sounds like Seattle office is hard at work ensuring new itinerary is ready to go, which likely is just skipping first port if sailing happens this afternoon, and also compensation for all on board.

Sounds like as a bonus everyone got to see fireworks around the Boston area from the ship. Although nice, I am sure most folks wanted to see the first port of call.

Parents seem ok with the situation at this time. I bet some of y'all have met, and met my parents as well, at the CC gathering on boarding day yesterday.

I suppose a few more hours before sail away is likely, but if y'all get sailing soon after noon I'd expect next port of call should be achieved on time. Best of luck on the fix being signed off and getting out with only one skipped port of call.

We got off the Maasdam yesterday after a wonderful week of cruising on her. We are at the Long Wharf Marriott now looking at the Maasdam out in the harbor! We commented last night around 8 pm that she was sure having a late start. Hope you get under way soon and have a wonderful cruise.

On the Maasdam on the Atlantic Adventurer in 2014, our engines stopped as we were approaching the Canaries. Everything became very quiet, until the Captain came on and said "It's alright, we're in deep water!" We didn't know whether to laugh or worry! Everything started up again about half an hour later.

we were 283 nm out at sea that day according to my trusty Garmin handheld GPS.. that would have been a loooooong tow in to Tenerife :)

So, I've been chomping at the bit to know since last night, when I learned you were stuck in the harbor:

Were you able to see the fireworks from where the ship was?

Sorry your trip has been delayed, but big KUDOS for maintaining a positive attitude and especially for keeping us informed!! Hope you're underway soon and have a fantastic cruise!!:)