Maasdam Stuck in Boston Harbor

Adoremus

That would be the classification society, which is the insurance underwriter (think UL). Primary reason the USCG will stop a ship from leaving port is loss of redundancy of steering. Even loss of one propeller on the Maasdam would not really trigger a USCG stoppage, though the Master would be prudent to remain until repairs are completed. Loss of one rudder's operation, however, would trigger an almost guaranteed USCG inspection. Both the port state (USCG), which issues the clearance to sail through the port, and the class society, which issues the "fitness to proceed" obviously are required for this issue, which I think points directly to steering. The loss of some hotel power, could mean that a section panel of the electrical system went down, taking both some things like the toilet vacuum pumps and the steering gear.

Maasdam was my first HAL cruise, out of Norfolk, 11 Dec 2006. We left 2:15 hours delayed because of one engine not working... we left Norfolk on only the starboard engine. The wake showed only one wake and that engine screamed all night. They got the port engine started about 07:40 the first morning out. After a day at sea we arrived at our first port Half Moon Cay hours late at 14:30 but on two engine. We tendered in starting at 3pm and all aboard was at 17:30 so a very abbreviated visit to HMC.

We had a great cruise and no other issues with the engine. We had no issues with any of the Hotel capabilities even on one engine.

At that time Captain Henk Draper was the Master and I was very glad that he proceeded with the cruise. We never did hear of the cause of the problem.

I was aboard Maasdam on a 35 day B2B2B Collectors cruise when Capt Smit had his debut as Master and again last year on the Atlantic Adventurer. I have great confidence in the HAL Masters.

Sometimes stuff happens but I've learned that "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!"

Fair Seas and Following Winds to Maasdam and all aboard her. m--

Maasdam was my first HAL cruise, out of Norfolk, 11 Dec 2006. We left 2:15 hours delayed because of one engine not working... we left Norfolk on only the starboard engine. The wake showed only one wake and that engine screamed all night. They got the port engine started about 07:40 the first morning out. After a day at sea we arrived at our first port Half Moon Cay hours late at 14:30 but on two engine. We tendered in starting at 3pm and all aboard was at 17:30 so a very abbreviated visit to HMC.

We had a great cruise and no other issues with the engine. We had no issues with any of the Hotel capabilities even on one engine.

At that time Captain Henk Draper was the Master and I was very glad that he proceeded with the cruise. We never did hear of the cause of the problem.

I was aboard Maasdam on a 35 day B2B2B Collectors cruise when Capt Smit had his debut as Master and again last year on the Atlantic Adventurer. I have great confidence in the HAL Masters.

Sometimes stuff happens but I've learned that "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!"

Fair Seas and Following Winds to Maasdam and all aboard her. m--

Our first HAL cruise was also on the Maasdam -- 1996 -- Baltic -- no problems.

But in 2012 we did a 25 day Caribbean cruise and for several days we had minor engine problems. We arrived at ports late and left the ports early. Finally the part that was needed arrived while we were in St Maarten and all was well for the rest of the cruise.

Engine problems on RCI's Jewel of the Seas several weeks ago kept her docked in San Francisco an extra several hours but only delayed our arrival in Victoria by a few hours (5pm instead of 11am). No hotel functions were effected.

Maasdam docked at Halifax about 1 p.m. local time

Glad things seem to be back on target. Maasdam sure has had her share of problems lately - first the norovirus and now this! Hopefully all will be normal on her for awhile, as it is a nice ship with a good crew.

We got to Halifax at 1. Delayed. Captain is giving us extra port time tonight so we will leave at 8 PM. He also was able to park the ship the other direction at the Pier to get us on land quicker. That moved saved about 20 minutes of turning ship around. The port authority just had to adjust the gangway to exit out other side of ship. Also since leaving late we will arrive Sydney 1 hour late also tommorow. Should be back on current schedule by the time we arrive in PEI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So happy you were able to get to Halifax. It's a great port. Hope the rest of your voyage continues to be enjoyable. Great the Captain got you that little bit of extra time ashore. Those efforts are so appreciated.

ahhh, my poor maasy,, I remember way back in 2000,, she had 1 engine failure going through the panama canal,, she kept on going , but we missed 1 port, got in the day earlier in port everglades, and had a free bar and barbeque,, good times :)

Sorry to hear about Maasdam's problems, especially the engine. We were in the middle of the ocean a few years ago, sitting in the MDR for dinner, when Maasdam's captain came on the loudspeaker and said they were experiencing some engine issues and were going to **** down everything and restart the engines. They accomplished just that, and then everything went smoothly. Really love that ship so glad you are underway now.

I must step in and say there are some who know Maasdam equally as well..... Captain Smit was Chief Officer (as the rank was then known) to Captain Henk Draper. Captain Draper was Master of Maasdam for a great many years. He knows every tiny corner of every square inch of Maasdam. :)

How exciting for Captain Smit to have inspired you to go to Maritme School. Wishing you much success and happiness as you prepare for your new career. :) Hope to see you on Maadam one day.

I've loved Maasdam since I was present at her Inaugural Party when she stopped in Boston fresh from Fincantieri. Have loved that ship since she first sailed.

Capt Ane and Capt Henk-- thee best of the best..

gotta keep the Maasdam going strong before she leaves for the west coast next April.. we'll be on her this October for the 25th time and it'll push us over 500 actual cruise days sailing her.. gonna miss her leaving the east coast..

gotta keep the Maasdam going strong before she leaves for the west coast next April.. we'll be on her this October for the 25th time and it'll push us over 500 actual cruise days sailing her.. gonna miss her leaving the east coast..

I wish I could say I've spent that much time with her but in two years I cruised on her 5 times for 55 days. But it was the experience I had that makes her special to me. Part of my soul does belong there with her. I too will miss her here on the east coast, but I am heading off to maritime school and won't be able to visit her anyway. But as I said to her in April, “There are no good-byes, where ever you'll be, you'll be in my heart.” I am who I am and where I am because of her and Captain Ane Smit.

We got to Halifax at 1. Delayed. Captain is giving us extra port time tonight so we will leave at 8 PM. He also was able to park the ship the other direction at the Pier to get us on land quicker. That moved saved about 20 minutes of turning ship around. The port authority just had to adjust the gangway to exit out other side of ship. Also since leaving late we will arrive Sydney 1 hour late also tommorow. Should be back on current schedule by the time we arrive in PEI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That for the updates. Better to have more time in Halifax. Sydney is a so so port to me.