Clothes Steamers, Power Bars and Extension Cords

Nikkibird

I just read that now steamers have been banned. Has anyone recently got one through their luggage without being detected? Is there a certain kind that would be allowed? I am really picky with my clothing and disappointed they have now banned them! It seems ludicrous that one must run the shower for long periods to get the wrinkles out of their clothes! I know you can pay for pressing but that will add up on a two week cruise!

Also, what about power bars and extension cords!!! Not allowed either I read. :mad:

I just read that now steamers have been banned. Has anyone recently got one through their luggage without being detected? Is there a certain kind that would be allowed? I am really picky with my clothing and disappointed they have now banned them! It seems ludicrous that one must run the shower for long periods to get the wrinkles out of their clothes! I know you can pay for pressing but that will add up on a two week cruise!

Also, what about power bars and extension cords!!! Not allowed either I read. :mad:

Steamers have been prohibited for a few years, it is not recent. Everyone is literally in the same boat, there are many things you can do.

Steamers are banned, and have been for quite some time. It is a safety issue. It is to protect the rest of the passengers who value safety over someone steaming their clothes. Which do you value most?

Same goes with power bars and extension cords. Safety.

When you booked your cruise you agreed to abide by the rules set forth by the cruise line. Trying to sneak one of these items on board is a breach of contract on your part, something you no doubt would be upset about if the cruise line did that to you.

Leave them at home.

Edited by sloopsailor

Steamers are banned, and have been for quite some time. It is a safety issue. It is to protect the rest of the passengers who value safety over someone steaming their clothes. Which do you value most?

Same goes with power bars and extension cords. Safety.

When you booked your cruise you agreed to abide by the rules set forth by the cruise line. Trying to sneak one of these items on board is a breach of contract on your part, something you no doubt would be upset about if the cruise line did that to you.

Leave them at home.

I have no problem with the safety thing. If the cruise line is concerned about it and people still bring them on board, seems to me that they should all follow Princess and have a "Laundry / Ironing room" that is supervised by staff. They have irons and ironing boards lined up for your use when you need it. And they provide the service for people who can afford to send it out to be done. Not everyone has deep pockets and some of us like our clothes looking good and not wrinkled! ;)

I have no problem with the safety thing. If the cruise line is concerned about it and people still bring them on board, seems to me that they should all follow Princess and have a "Laundry / Ironing room" that is supervised by staff. They have irons and ironing boards lined up for your use when you need it. And they provide the service for people who can afford to send it out to be done. Not everyone has deep pockets and some of us like our clothes looking good and not wrinkled! ;)

I believe you may need to read some of the tips for packing. I NEVER have to have clothes pressed when I travel. I like my clothes to look neat too. Choose clothes that don't wrinkle easily and I repeat, read packing tips. You are on vacation why on earth would you want to iron?

I am also very particular about my clothes.

When I cruise I relax my standards somewhat about a wrinkle or two or three. But then everyone else is in the same boat ha ha. And once on my body I tell myself that my capris are going to smooth out as soon as I put 98.6 degrees in them.

I Not everyone has deep pockets and some of us like our clothes looking good and not wrinkled! ;)

then pack the right clothes. I always look good, and have never needed to iron, steam or send anything out., INCLUDING my formal night gowns

... they should all follow Princess and have a "Laundry / Ironing room" that is supervised by staff... Not everyone has deep pockets.....

There is your solution. Just cruise with Princess instead of complaining about how other cruise lines do it. Not every cruise line has to be identical, and they certainly don't have to be a copy of Princess. If you can't afford to have items pressed, bring items that don't need it or spend you super tight budget on Princess.

I roll my eyes when people get their panties all in a bunch because [insert name here] Cruise Line doesn't do something the way they want them to. THEN DON'T CRUISE WITH THEM!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

I pack travel friendly clothes; place dry cleaner bags between clothes that may tend to crease; carry a spray bottle to mist the wrinkles out if needed. And when needed I use the ship's laundry. Life is good!

Also heard that hair flat irons work quite good and they are allowed:D Going to give it a try on the few things that DH brings that might need a press. He doesn't pack things that well and refuses to let me help lol

Edited by Christine Frances

I believe you may need to read some of the tips for packing. I NEVER have to have clothes pressed when I travel. I like my clothes to look neat too. Choose clothes that don't wrinkle easily and I repeat, read packing tips. You are on vacation why on earth would you want to iron?

Totally agree! After my first cruise I started buying "cruise clothes" Colours that match and can be interchanged and definitely clothes that didn't need ironing. Years later, all my clothes are now "cruise clothes" lol:D

Edited by Christine Frances

I packed a linen dress and a linen shirt on my last cruise -- both can, and do wrinkle if you look at them sideways.

A dab of fabric softener in a spray bottle of water worked wonders. I hung both up, spritzed them well, shook them out, and the worst of the wrinkles fell right out. Then, I realized that after sitting in a taxi or a cruise excursion bus for an hour, I was rumpled anyway - as was everybody else.

Nobody on board has an iron available in their cabin. Most are making the same 5 outfits work in various combinations and getting as many wearings as possible out of each item of clothing. (black skirts that hit below the knee are a must in my book. Need to dress up a bit, put the skirt on! It doesn't matter what the top is, it looks nicer if you're wearing a skirt.) Everybody really is in the same boat when it comes to laundry and pressing clothes.

Non wrinkle clothes and Downy spray on wrinkle release.

Does Downy Wrinkle Release really work?? They don't sell it here in Canada or at least I have never seen it. If it is that good, I may have to drive over the border for a day!! :D

Does Downy Wrinkle Release really work?? They don't sell it here in Canada or at least I have never seen it. If it is that good, I may have to drive over the border for a day!! :D
Not necessary. Just make your own version.

"The good news is you can make your own wrinkle releaser spray quickly and easily for very little cost. It’s simply a matter of adding a little bit of fabric softener to water. For every 1/3 cup of water you add 1 teaspoon of fabric softener. You can make as small or as large of a batch as you want. You don’t need expensive fabric softener either. A bottle of fabric softener from the dollar store performs just as well in this homemade wrinkle releaser spray as the pricier brands."

"TRAVEL SIZE HOMEMADE WRINKLE RELEASER SPRAY

You Will Need:

1/3 cup water

1 teaspoon fabric softener

Combine the items in a small spray bottle and swirl them together to mix. To use, spray on clothing and stretch and smooth to release the wrinkles."

Quoted from Homemade Wrinkle Release Spray

Edited by varoo

Not necessary. Just make your own version.

"The good news is you can make your own wrinkle releaser spray quickly and easily for very little cost. It’s simply a matter of adding a little bit of fabric softener to water. For every 1/3 cup of water you add 1 teaspoon of fabric softener. You can make as small or as large of a batch as you want. You don’t need expensive fabric softener either. A bottle of fabric softener from the dollar store performs just as well in this homemade wrinkle releaser spray as the pricier brands."

"TRAVEL SIZE HOMEMADE WRINKLE RELEASER SPRAY

You Will Need:

1/3 cup water

1 teaspoon fabric softener

Combine the items in a small spray bottle and swirl them together to mix. To use, spray on clothing and stretch and smooth to release the wrinkles."

Quoted from Homemade Wrinkle Release Spray

Right on.....Thank you!!!

Some of your posts are so so funny. I am sitting here reading and lol. I love the vodka wrinkle solution and also the nude. I would have more wrinkles than any of my clothes. I always ask myself, who are you trying to impress? Do you know any of these people? Do any of them really care what I look like?

Everyone seems to be busy having a good time and I seriously doubt they are looking for wrinkles in my clothes. If so, I suggest they "get a life."

Some of your posts are so so funny. I am sitting here reading and lol. I love the vodka wrinkle solution and also the nude. I would have more wrinkles than any of my clothes. I always ask myself, who are you trying to impress? Do you know any of these people? Do any of them really care what I look like?

Everyone seems to be busy having a good time and I seriously doubt they are looking for wrinkles in my clothes. If so, I suggest they "get a life."

Good point Snit.... :eek:

OP, I appreciate your concern about wrinkles, but as many have mentioned, steamers have not been allowed for many years. If this is truly a deal-breaker, then perhaps Celebrity is not for you. I never travel without my small spritz bottle, and find that warm water works well.

Everyone on your cruise is there to enjoy... wrinkles are a fact of life, and frankly my dear, no one gives a damn!

Enjoy.....:)

Go nude! Oh there are probably wrinkles there too...good luck. Roll clothes don't fold, hang in garment bags, keep your eyes closed and dress in the dark!

Forget the soap provided by Celebrity. Use Dawn Liquid. Gets rid of unwanted grease and fat. No more wrinkles!