Can I have blood tests on Prinsendam?

I am a cancer patient and I need weekly blood tests sent in to MD Anderson in Houston Texas. I have called HAL to ask this question and am awaiting a return call from "Fleet medical".

I just thought some one on this forum might know the answer.

Carol:)

I would get the test right before I go on the cruise, and then again when I get home. Even if you can get a blood test, the results will take MUCH longer than a week to get to your doctor.

If this is a MUST, then you should stay home, and take care of your medical issues.

Ask your doctor if you could go 8-10 days between tests.....

I am a cancer patient and I need weekly blood tests sent in to MD Anderson in Houston Texas. I have called HAL to ask this question and am awaiting a return call from "Fleet medical".

They probably can't handle the specific test on board . Also they probably don't have the correct vials for sending the test a a lab. A shore lab or hospital might be able to help you.

There are some specialized cruises that may be able to accommodate you. If you google cruise with (whatever kind of) cancer, you may be able to find one that is set up to deal with your situation especially.

You will also need special travel insurance:

https://www.allclearcruise.co.uk/cancer-cruise-insurance/

More information:

http://www.nccn.org/patients/resources/life_with_cancer/traveling.aspx

Some cancer patients can qualify for a free cruise:

http://kickcanceroverboard.org

Another way you might handle this is to have your blood test the day prior to leaving on the cruise. Cruise for 6 - 7 days and then have your blood test at a local hospital where you debark your cruise.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

For those asking the OP if they could just go without the test for the length of the cruise: HAL Prinsendam specializes in 'Collector's Cruises' and 'Grand Voyages' of anywhere from three to ten or more weeks. So that's a no.

I have no idea if HAL will arrange the tests for you, nor do I wish to influence your decision on whether to cruise or not. But the ship's medical centers are not really set up nor adequately staffed to offer regular appointments to a passenger with a chronic condition. Prinsendam is a 30 year old 900 passenger ship so it may be even less so than newer larger ships. And heaven forbid there be an outbreak onboard your cruise: your tests would almost certainly not be done then as the medical staff would be swamped and would not even want you visiting the medical center among the virally infectuous--and if you are even slightly immunocompromised from your treatment you almost certainly would be asked to leave at the next port.

Even if the ship Dr could do the weekly test by the time it gets from a port to TX the blood sample would probably not be accurate any more because of transport time.

The thing you need to realize is that even if you can get the test done, you are probably going to be home and have the next test completed long before any test or the results get to Anderson.