HAL - Seriously, your customer service needs improvement

brentp

In my personal experience and in looking at posts over the last few years pertaining to over charges, the mini bar seems to be at the heart of the issue time and time again. You'd think that HAL could come up with a solution to avoid the time wasted by their employees and passengers, not to mention the aggravation.

While we use the fridge for cooling our own drinks, we otherwise never use a ship's mini bar and I wonder how many other passengers are the same. It's too bad that the option isn't included on the booking site. After selecting bed configuration and dining preference, we could check off filled or empty mini bar.

In my personal experience and in looking at posts over the last few years pertaining to over charges, the mini bar seems to be at the heart of the issue time and time again. You'd think that HAL could come up with a solution to avoid the time wasted by their employees and passengers, not to mention the aggravation.

While we use the fridge for cooling our own drinks, we otherwise never use a ship's mini bar and I wonder how many other passengers are the same. It's too bad that the option isn't included on the booking site. After selecting bed configuration and dining preference, we could check off filled or empty mini bar.

We're the same - never use the mini-bar, and we have been charged small amounts on occasion, always mini-bar charges. They have been re-credited after we have questioned the amounts. If the OP was charged the equivalent of the entire mini-bar, I can understand his frustration!

We recently sailed on a 30plus day cruise from the Far East to Vancouver on HAL. One suitcase was damaged during disembarkation. We filled out the forms and reported it to HAL. They responded promptly and basically told me I wasn't asking enough for the damage. Since we already have a cruise on the books, we are getting shipboard credit for the damage. We think this was above and beyond. Thanks HAL.

We recently sailed on a 30plus day cruise from the Far East to Vancouver on HAL. One suitcase was damaged during disembarkation. We filled out the forms and reported it to HAL. They responded promptly and basically told me I wasn't asking enough for the damage. Since we already have a cruise on the books, we are getting shipboard credit for the damage. We think this was above and beyond. Thanks HAL.

Thanks for posting this.

It's nice to hear about great Customer Service.... only fair for us to hear the good with the bad. :)

We had an overcharge once in recent memory. We called HAL and it was taken care of within 2 days. This case seems to be an exception to the rule. We hope they get satisfactory resolution.

I agree (as posted earlier) and I didn't call - I emailed.

Wondering if the OP got the automated answer from HAL? If they didn't, the message might not have been received.

I too hope it gets rectified to the satisfaction of the OP.

OP-I can feel your frustration and sympathize. We have also had a couple of cruises where we have been charged for mini bar items which we never used. We only use the fridge to store our own items. Luckily, it was quickly settled with a phone call to HAL like yours should have been.

We were also in the room on one of these times when the bar person came in and did the count and verified we did not use it so were very surprised when our credit card was charged.

As Fouremco stated, I also wish there was an option whether you wanted the mini bar stocked or not.

This does seem to be an issue that has happened frequently and causes unnecessary aggravation to passengers who, after a great cruise, get home to find a charge on their credit card.

HAL-smarten up!

We have emailed Ship Services prior to our cruises & requested that our mini-bar be emptied before we embark & it always has been. On debarkation day, the Wine Steward comes into the cabin to check it out & we have never been charged for the contents.

QUOTE 57redbird "While we use the fridge for cooling our own drinks, we otherwise never use a ship's mini bar and I wonder how many other passengers are the same. It's too bad that the option isn't included on the booking site. After selecting bed configuration and dining preference, we could check off filled or empty mini bar.

We have emailed Ship Services prior to our cruises & requested that our mini-bar be emptied before we embark & it always has been. On debarkation day, the Wine Steward comes into the cabin to check it out & we have never been charged for the contents"

"While we use the fridge for cooling our own drinks, we otherwise never use a ship's mini bar and I wonder how many other passengers are the same. It's too bad that the option isn't included on the booking site. After selecting bed configuration and dining preference, we could check off filled or empty mini bar."

Thank you both for a very viable solution for a very frustrating issue. I will most certainly be using one or the other on our upcoming cruise. Also, thank you both for being the voice of reason in a somewhat contentious thread.

Edited by Okie1946

We have emailed Ship Services prior to our cruises & requested that our mini-bar be emptied before we embark & it always has been. On debarkation day, the Wine Steward comes into the cabin to check it out & we have never been charged for the contents.

Great Idea..:) Never knew that could be done.. Thank you for this info..:)

I think theOP should post a polite, brief note on HAL's Facebook page about the problem of not getting a reply from them in a month about a delayed charge.

I can definitely recommend that because I did it, and got a phone call from Customer Relations within 3 hours. It didnt take them long to find my booking and my phone number. Different problem, but still the same lack of response until then.

We have had mini bar purchases show up on a final bill but didn't bother to call about a can or two of soda. We thought perhaps we may have forgotten the can of soda water or whatever we may have used. I'm sure there were times there was an error but my DH always said his time was worth more than the $5 or so dollars we questioned.

We have had mini bar purchases show up on a final bill but didn't bother to call about a can or two of soda. We thought perhaps we may have forgotten the can of soda water or whatever we may have used. I'm sure there were times there was an error but my DH always said his time was worth more than the $5 or so dollars we questioned.

With all due respect, the OP did not say this was a matter of $5 - I suspect it is more because of their concern but I could be wrong.

Each to their own, but I certainly understand the OP's concern and others who have reported over billing. Personally I don't like being billed for something I didn't get either.

I've been overcharged with the dreaded mini-bar excuse about once every three HAL cruises. It's not a lot of $$ (actually it was once) but I call them each time and it's removed. HAL is making a lot of $$ off those of you that HAL over-charges and just let it go. As a CCL shareholder I guess I should be OK with it, since it helps HAL's bottom line.

With all due respect, the OP did not say this was a matter of $5 - I suspect it is more because of their concern but I could be wrong.

Each to their own, but I certainly understand the OP's concern and others who have reported over billing. Personally I don't like being billed for something I didn't get either.

Given the number of people who experience problems with unwarranted mini-bar charges, I think that everyone should challenge such charges, even if the amount is minor. That might help put an end to the ongoing problem.

In this case, the OP indicated that the charges were for "items on the room counter removed from our room at our request." In my experience, that would normally be just a couple of bottles of water, so $5 might not be far off the mark. On the other hand, I agree that the extent of the OP's concern seems disproportionate to such a small amount.

I don't think I've ever read on CC where a problem like this didn't get resolved in time. I know it's annoying...happened to me a couple of times. Those stewards are so overworked the last day. I'm sure they make mistakes. If this didn't get resolved, I'd be surprised. I would say HAL errs on the customer's side in most cases.

I don't think I've ever read on CC where a problem like this didn't get resolved in time. I know it's annoying...happened to me a couple of times. Those stewards are so overworked the last day. I'm sure they make mistakes. If this didn't get resolved, I'd be surprised. I would say HAL errs on the customer's side in most cases.

I agree with what you say, but I think that it's worth pointing out that the root of the problem sometimes lies with passengers, not the stewards or those restocking the mini-bar.

DW and I prefer a late disembarkation time, allowing us to enjoy a leisurely last few hours on board. As a result, we have on several occasions still been in our cabin when they came to check the mini-bar and restock as necessary. The final accounting has now been made, but there's nothing stopping us from helping ourselves to an item or two before heading off. The incoming passengers probably wouldn't know they were missing and would eventually be charged for the items.

I like the idea of emailing ahead of your embarkation date to have the min-bar emptied to avoid any issues, a practise I'll adopt for all future cruises.

I agree with what you say, but I think that it's worth pointing out that the root of the problem sometimes lies with passengers, not the stewards or those restocking the mini-bar.

DW and I prefer a late disembarkation time, allowing us to enjoy a leisurely last few hours on board. As a result, we have on several occasions still been in our cabin when they came to check the mini-bar and restock as necessary. The final accounting has now been made, but there's nothing stopping us from helping ourselves to an item or two before heading off. The incoming passengers probably wouldn't know they were missing and would eventually be charged for the items.

Not certain but in the past wasn't the mini bar locked after it was restocked prior to the next group occupying the cabin

I know this has been done on X

Not certain but in the past wasn't the mini bar locked after it was restocked prior to the next group occupying the cabin

Good question, I've not paid attention to that. I do know that in one case, someone helped themselves to the two bottles of water at some point between restocking and our arrival, something that we were quick to point out to our helpful steward.

Edited by Fouremco

I never paid attention to this. Is there something in the room to check when u first get in the cabin to make sure all is there that should be?

I've always just taken whatever is there & moved it somewhere else as to not get mixed up with our stuff.

Hopefully HAL is reading so that changes can be made.

I've not been in a cabin on a HAL ship that locked the mini-bar. And there are cabins that don't have minibars -- so the mini-bar contents are on the counter.

I've not been in a cabin on a HAL ship that locked the mini-bar. And there are cabins that don't have minibars -- so the mini-bar contents are on the counter.

I was aware that some cabins had no minbar but I simply assumed that the items normally contained in a minibar wouldn't be there either. Never to old to learn... :)

It could well be that HAL relies on that attitude.:rolleyes: I'm not sure that it is ever OK to allow a corporation to dip into my pocket, so I would always question a charge, no matter how much and no one should be made to feel it is not worth the bother. In my experience, everything has to be reconciled and balanced exactly. If it doesn't, then it is a symptom of a larger problem which HAL needs to fix.

Edited by Lizzie68