Port Canaveral .. Majesty?? RC Handing PC Over To Carnival

Seriously .. is PC being given the shaft by RC? .. This is a step backward, IMO.

I thought that about Miami several years ago, but the port and cruise line carry on.

This argument to me is ridiculous, first off Port Canaveral is not going to over take the popularity of Miami or Fort lauderdale anytime soon, second if you live in central florida you can go anywhere you like MIA/FTL is only a 3 and half hour drive and if you dont want to do it you have choices outside of Royal

I was not putting up an argument, nor do I fuss over ships moving to different ports. I was just stating why many people get upset about the relocation of ships. As you can see in my location, I'm from PA, and am definitely not one of those people who get worried about which ship is going where.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I'd be more interested in passengers leaving from and departing. Hartsfield has insane passenger counts, 46 million, but most are just changing planes. I don't think it seems that crowded in baggage claim

I'm happy to see that PC is getting Oasis of the Seas. I live in Orlando and would much rather drive 45 minutes from my house than 3 hours. Maybe next time we will get a newer ship.

The new port area is very nice if you have see it. It is perfect for ships that have a stop in PC....you can walk from the ship to local restaurants next to the pier.

I'm not really interested in shorter 3 or 4 day cruises..I would go on a short cruise if it was a great deal....however, 7 days is my preferred length....so having Oasis as the Seas close by will be great. If was was going to go on a 3 or 4 day cruise it would be on Disney Cruise Line...the Disney Dream is probably the newest ship that does 3 and 4 day cruises.

As for moving RCCL to the oldest terminal....I'm not sure Oasis of the Seas would fit at the smallest/oldest terminal....they have been digging in the area where the new port is...I am assuming this is to accommodate for Oasis.

Edited by Klstaack

I haven't seen it discussed here but it dawned on me that RCI would be giving up on the very attractive special event Quinceanera for the 5 month lapse period at PC in 2016.

The large number of 15 year olds that come from Central and South America to Port Canaveral cruises and the Orlando attractions is astronomical. We have seen 700 plus on Monarch and just last week 400 plus on Enchantment. Giving away that large a number of cruisers from Latin America; and, large number of vacationing families from the Southeaster US was not a good business decision. We are glad they made changes so Majesty will be here to fill the gap and stay at PC.

ps; Google Quinceanera Cruises if you are unfamiliar with this tradition.

I haven't seen it discussed here but it dawned on me that RCI would be giving up on the very attractive special event Quinceanera for the 5 month lapse period at PC in 2016.

The large number of 15 year olds that come from Central and South America to Port Canaveral cruises and the Orlando attractions is astronomical. We have seen 700 plus on Monarch and just last week 400 plus on Enchantment. Giving away that large a number of cruisers from Latin America; and, large number of vacationing families from the Southeaster US was not a good business decision. We are glad they made changes so Majesty will be here to fill the gap and stay at PC.

We've also seen large numbers of Indian guests on Monarch from time to time. They are doing a package US tour that includes Disney and a cruise out of Port Canaveral.

This argument to me is ridiculous, first off Port Canaveral is not going to over take the popularity of Miami or Fort lauderdale anytime soon, second if you live in central florida you can go anywhere you like MIA/FTL is only a 3 and half hour drive and if you dont want to do it you have choices outside of Royal

I wonder why the prices from PC are as high or higher than cruises from FLL.

Only thing, in winter the weather will be better in MIA or FLL. Which is huge fro all the sun seeker who have to fly.

I wonder why the prices from PC are as high or higher than cruises from FLL.

Only thing, in winter the weather will be better in MIA or FLL. Which is huge fro all the sun seeker who have to fly.

Either the limited number of ships, or the proximity to the Orlando theme parks would be my guess

I think most of the responses here represent a lot of hubris. Royal isn't just "winging it". They are a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company. They have likely pored over scads of data and projections to determine how to best serve their customers and generate the most revenue. I highly doubt any of their metrics are as rudimentary as those being utilized by the people on here arguing against the decision.

I get people not LIKING the move. But to think that Royal is clearly wrong and hasn't thought this through is the height of ignorance...

i think most of the responses here represent a lot of hubris. Royal isn't just "winging it". They are a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company. They have likely pored over scads of data and projections to determine how to best serve their customers and generate the most revenue. I highly doubt any of their metrics are as rudimentary as those being utilized by the people on here arguing against the decision.

I get people not liking the move. But to think that royal is clearly wrong and hasn't thought this through is the height of ignorance...

like!

Funny, Port Canaveral is our favorite port to cruise from. Reasonable hotel rates in the port area, several rental car agencies with free shuttles to the port, several shared shuttle companies to choose from, decent restaurants on the channel and in the Cocoa Beach area, much less traffic than the Ft. Lauderdale area.

I love port Canaveral also it's the easiest to cruise out of

I think most of the responses here represent a lot of hubris. Royal isn't just "winging it". They are a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company. They have likely pored over scads of data and projections to determine how to best serve their customers and generate the most revenue. I highly doubt any of their metrics are as rudimentary as those being utilized by the people on here arguing against the decision.

I get people not LIKING the move. But to think that Royal is clearly wrong and hasn't thought this through is the height of ignorance...

Agree with you, but I never realized there's so many CEOs on this board.

I've survived a few cruises with Quinceanera groups onboard. I feel like I deserve a medal or a cake for my mental anguish.

Edited by DarthGrady

Well said.

To say that Royal Caribbean is "handing over PC to Carnival" or that they are throwing PC the "old scraps of metal" is pretty unreasonable. Just remember, you're still getting the Oasis... Oh wait, people are upset with that too, right? Because she's not the newest Oasis Class ship? :rolleyes: Sure, Majesty might be a little bit of back track from Enchantment, but IMO, with this refurbishment, she's going to be just fine for the short cruises!

I've survived a few cruises with Quinceanera groups onboard. I feel like I deserve a medal or a cake for my mental anguish.

I hear you. Our first RCL in 2002 was full of them, but it was out of San Juan, go figure

PC has already over taken Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale in the number 2 spot. From a news article in the Orlando sentinel.

Port Canaveral, along with Miami and Port Everglades were among the top three cruise ports in the world, according to the 2015-2016 Cruise Industry News Annual Report.

Miami came in at No. 1, with 4.8 million passengers, followed by Port Canaveral with 3.9 million and Port Everglades with 3.4 million.

I am actually sort of happy that Majesty is coming to PC. Yes, she is an older ship and probably lacks lots of bells and whistles, but it will be nice to have her fill in for short cruises. We sailed on Majesty for our honeymoon in 1995 out of Miami. Considered sailing her this year, but the cost of a flight to Miami was not in the budget and driving was not a consideration with the schedule. I was sad to hear she was being retired, but now I am happy that we may be able to sail her with some great memories.

I'm still confused why people care about where RCCL home ports ships? Who gives a rip!

Following your logic then .... RC should just base all their ships in one port