Something for shoulder/arm warmth over formal dresses

ok, silly question, but I really do not know the answer. What do you wear over your shoulders/arms for a bit more warmth when wearing a formal dress? I am not very worldly regarding dressy/formal wear., but I am getting better at dressing up and do enjoy it immensely, but I'm still learning. I love the occasional time I get to wear my gorgeous dresses, but I just go from car to restaurant, so haven't been in this situation.

I am off on our first cruise at Christmas (Baltic cruise) and wonder what I can put over any dress I currently have (Or may buy) to provide smart/formal extra warmth if I require it. I am in my mid /late 40s...

Please post photos where you can of ideas :)

Thanks

I've always brought a wrap (pashmina sort of thing), but have NEVER needed it! It really ruins the look of your dress, IMO...and is a pain to drag around all night!

Just bring something lightweight, and neutral...maybe silver or some other metallic color that will go with anything. Chances are you'll be able to leave it in the cabin. Unless you REALLY want to, there's no need to go outdoors in your gown!!

Edited by cb at sea

Depending on the style of the gown you could also opt for a nice bolero or shrug in a fabric that will go with your gown.

I know that I get cold easily in the air-conditioned dining rooms and when I step outside to walk in the moonlight with the DH so I always have some kind of wrap, bolero, or shrug that I wear. I love the idea of a faux fur wrap...how fun and different. It's an awesome idea and could be worn with all your gowns and dresses. How fun!:D I must hit some vintage shops and see if I can find one for my next cruise!!!:D

Thanks for the great tip Flordiana! Love it!

Baltic in December? (fake) fur stole! silk/wool pashmina!

The interior of the ship will be heated. ;)

I used to always take some kind of wrap and like another poster mentioned, I NEVER ended up needing it. I get chilly quite easily but have never found the dining room or public areas on a ship to be so overly chilly to the point that I needed a wrap in the evenings.

BUT, if you are convinced taht you will need something to cover bare arms, I would suggest that a shrug or bolero jacket is much more practical. If you search, you can often find these in metallic fabrics or with beading or whatever, so that they are suitable for formal wear. With a wrap or pashmina, you have to keep it adjusted just so, so that it covers your shoulders and arms but doesn't slide down, and that can be difficult when you're trying to eat dinner, or walk outside in the wind on deck. A shrug or bolero jacket has actual sleeves, so is much easier to deal with for dinner or in high winds. :)

I do find the interior of the ships to be chilly at times. I knit beaded lace silk shawls so I can usually find something in a drawer that will work as a wrap. I find that it can enhance the look of my outfit plus keep me warm.

Thanks for all these ideas. I'll start keeping an eye out in the shops and online :) And I agree, if I happen to be under air-con I can freeze. I have now chosen a desk at work (we hot desk...) which has no air-con over it, for this reason. Also if we wish to brave the prom for a short time, it will be nice to have something to cover my arms that is suitable.

I'd never even heard the word bolero as clothing, so thank you!

ok, silly question, but I really do not know the answer. What do you wear over your shoulders/arms for a bit more warmth when wearing a formal dress? I am not very worldly regarding dressy/formal wear., but I am getting better at dressing up and do enjoy it immensely, but I'm still learning. I love the occasional time I get to wear my gorgeous dresses, but I just go from car to restaurant, so haven't been in this situation.

I am off on our first cruise at Christmas (Baltic cruise) and wonder what I can put over any dress I currently have (Or may buy) to provide smart/formal extra warmth if I require it. I am in my mid /late 40s...

Please post photos where you can of ideas

Thanks

What to wear depends on the gown and the time of year to me. I don't think you can go wrong with a light silk wrap. I tend to prefer to match my gown,

Aqua-Blue-Silk-Shawl-1_s.jpg

but some people like a splash of color.

il_214x170.609908916_os4r.jpg

Some gowns come with a jacket.

Formal-Mermaid-Sweetheart-Long-Charcoal-Grey-Lace-Beaded-Evening-Dress-With-Sleeves-Jacket.jpg

Sometimes a jacket can be ordered or dyed to match a gown. Shoes, too. There is probably a dry cleaner or a bridal shop in your area that dyes.

A faux fur might suit for a Christmas cruise.

il_340x270.602973203_aymg.jpg

What about a faux fur stole for vamping it up?

91170white.jpg