Nicaragua

Rustee

Would like to hear from anyone who has taken any of Princess Excursions from San Juan Del Sur. Interested in your views as we are still undecided on which excursion to take. Am not interested in any do it yourself tours only Princess Excursions. Thankyou

You can check in the Ports of Call forums. I believe Nicaragua is included in the Panama Canal forum. You may (or may not) find useful information there.

I too am at a loss as to what to do in San Juan del Sur. We will probably just find a beach for the day as volcanoes, etc. are stuff we have locally and have seen many times.

In San Juan del Sur we took the Princess excursion "Amayo Hacienda Experience w/Lunch".

We did very much enjoy it. The Barrios family actually lives there and opens their house completely up -- wonderful welcoming family. It's a functioning horse and cattle ranch on Lake Nicaragua . Beautiful grounds!

There were a variety of things to do: horseback riding, boating, swimming, dancing to live music, cooking lessons, etc.

Two volcanos are in the middle of the lake. One was active enough to see the smoke coming out.

The Nicaraguan lunch served was outstanding! :)

LuLu

We took the Rivas, Lake Nicaragua & Scenic Drive tour which was okay but nothing exceptional.

A drive to the small city of Rivas with an average church & small plaza. A quick dance performance next to the large lake with a free drink & a hazy view of the volcanoes. Next time I'd stay in San Juan del Sur although from what I saw of it there wasn't much to do there either.

There might be better things to do in Nicaragua but none of the other available tours interested us.

We did the "Amayo Haceinda Experience w/Lunch" a few years ago and the group of us still speak of it. It was a beautiful day spent with a beautiful family. The food was wonderful and the estate gorgeous. From discussions on the ship, it was the the pick of the excursions.

We took the Rivas, Lake Nicaragua & Scenic Drive tour which was okay but nothing exceptional.

A drive to the small city of Rivas with an average church & small plaza. A quick dance performance next to the large lake with a free drink & a hazy view of the volcanoes. Next time I'd stay in San Juan del Sur although from what I saw of it there wasn't much to do there either.

There might be better things to do in Nicaragua but none of the other available tours interested us.

We did this. Not a big thrill. Also, it is so depressing driving through the poorer parts of the country and seeing how people must live. Made me count my blessings.

Frank have to agree with you about the Rivas, Lake Nicaragua & Scenic Drive. Has been my least favorite so far. And it was a very warm day. We went to a resort by the lake for a drink and fresh fruit. Not really a resort by our standards but the entertainment was ok. We also have been to Granada. That trip was nicer and the town a bit more historical in my opinion. Kids love following you around trying to sell you things but it was fine and you can't help wanting to buy something from them. BUT watch out once one person sees you pulling out your money they all come a running. LOL Just part of the experience :)

Edited by waltd

We stopped last year on our Panama transit and took the Mombacho Volcano, 4WD, vistas and lunch tour. This is a pretty good tour as you hike, take a 4wd truck up fairly steep road to the top of the volcano, you briefly tour downtown Granada and have lunch at El Zaguan restaurant(good lunch as I remember).

This is a long tour but it is broken up with the change in vehicles, the hike, and the visit to Granada. One stop that is not mentioned in the description by Princess is a 20 minute stop half way up the mountain at a coffee plantation.It's also a restroom break. You can taste their coffees and buy a pound as a souvenir, which I did.

At the top of the mountain, the hike is listed as strenuous(but we did not have any problem with it) and you do get a great view from several locations. The vehicle that you take is open air and somewhat rough taking the bumps in the road as it climbs the mountain.

Pretty good tour with the variety of doing and seeing several points of interest.

Doug

In San Juan del Sur we took the Princess excursion "Amayo Hacienda Experience w/Lunch".

We did very much enjoy it. The Barrios family actually lives there and opens their house completely up -- wonderful welcoming family. It's a functioning horse and cattle ranch on Lake Nicaragua . Beautiful grounds!

There were a variety of things to do: horseback riding, boating, swimming, dancing to live music, cooking lessons, etc.

Two volcanos are in the middle of the lake. One was active enough to see the smoke coming out.

LuLu

Thanks LuLu, I just went and booked it! :D

I cant recall the name of the tour but it was an hour or so trip on coaches to a city at the south end of the lake where we had a traditional lunch while dancers entertained us. Then the tour moved to antique horse drawn carrigages with very friendly and knowledgable drivers and guides. We toured the sites of the very old city and then were dropped at boats on Lake Nicaragua.

There are endless small islands on the lake in that area many with homes built on them that we cruised in and around including one island with Howler monkeys that came right to the guide on our boat for food. Once back on land it was back on the coaches heading towards the ship with a stop at the view point for the two volcanos in the middle of the lake.

All in all we were impressed with the sights and guides and have a favorable impression of Nicaragua.

Terry

I am not sure if your actual port is Puerto Corinto but that was ours and its on the Pacific side too. I c/p my review form Fodors and I know you don't want a private guide but we had one and were taken to hill 14 which is important and historic to Nicaragua as you can see in the text below. I doubt if any Princess excursions go there but hey its for your perusal and for others too. I won't forget it.

http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/port-review-puerto-corinto-nicaragua.cfm

I am not sure if your actual port is Puerto Corinto but that was ours and its on the Pacific side too. I c/p my review form Fodors and I know you don't want a private guide but we had one and were taken to hill 14 which is important and historic to Nicaragua as you can see in the text below. I doubt if any Princess excursions go there but hey its for your perusal and for others too. I won't forget it.

http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/port-review-puerto-corinto-nicaragua.cfm

What does Max charge? How many hours?

Princess always tenders to San Juan del Sur, not Corinto so make sure your private guide will meet you there.

I am glad for the current positive recommendations for some of the tours, as back in 2009 I took the "Granada, Parque Central and Shopping" half day tour and it was a complete waste of time. Middle segments now listed as 45 minute walking tour of Granada followed by 45 minutes free time for shopping. The 'walking tour' was just a 10 minute speech in the park, followed by 80 minutes cooling our heels--with our guide loudly haranguing us to buy a drink at the hotel at the Parque that allowed us to use the facilities. Of course practically no one did, mainly because of our obnoxious guide but also due to the restrooms--at what outwardly was a nice hotel--being indescribably disgustingly filthy. I do wish everyone a better experience at this port which is an interesting contrast to the touristy trappings in Costa Rica and Mexico.

We stopped last year on our Panama transit and took the Mombacho Volcano, 4WD, vistas and lunch tour. This is a pretty good tour as you hike, take a 4wd truck up fairly steep road to the top of the volcano, you briefly tour downtown Granada and have lunch at El Zaguan restaurant(good lunch as I remember).

This is a long tour but it is broken up with the change in vehicles, the hike, and the visit to Granada. One stop that is not mentioned in the description by Princess is a 20 minute stop half way up the mountain at a coffee plantation.It's also a restroom break. You can taste their coffees and buy a pound as a souvenir, which I did.

At the top of the mountain, the hike is listed as strenuous(but we did not have any problem with it) and you do get a great view from several locations. The vehicle that you take is open air and somewhat rough taking the bumps in the road as it climbs the mountain.

Pretty good tour with the variety of doing and seeing several points of interest.

Doug

DH and I did this same tour in March 2014. We enjoyed it, but felt it was a lot of time on the bus and we felt we didn't have enough time in Granada. I would rate it as one of the better tours though.

In November of 2014, I went with my dad and aunt on the Rivas, Lake Nicaragua & Scenic Drive tour. It was fine for a half day tour and it left us time to walk around the port and see all the vendors. I also had a local beer. My aunt was still recovering from her hip surgery, and walking with a cane. She did fine, so this would be a good tour for someone who doesn't want a lot of walking.

We did Granada, Masaya Market & Volcano, Lunch & Shopping

This is the itinerary

depart from ship for a free time for shopping at Masaya Market

Time at the Masaya Market

Depart from the Masaya Market to the Masaya Volcano

Visit to Masaya Volcano

Depart from the Masaya Volcano to the lunch venue

Lunch at El Filete

Depart from El Filete to Granada City

Guided tour of Granada

Guided tour of the San Francisco Convent

Re-board your transportation and return to your ship

We enjoyed this trip, especially the volcano and the market. We bought a lot of wooden gifts there, beautiful wooden crafts. The lunch was a buffet and Granada interesting, but not our favorite spot

LuLu

We did this excursion several years ago - very much enjoyed it :D

We did the Masaya Market, Granada, Volcano, and buffet lunch. Horrid place for lunch. When I used the restroom, no running water to wash your hands (sinks wouldn't work). Ladies brought in big bowls and indicated as we came out of stalls to use the same bowls to wash hands as everyone else. I just about barfed up my food. Had I stopped first in restroom, wouldn't have eaten. Used wipes to clean my hands. A big clue that the help had the same bathrooms.

A day later both my husband and I got sick and it lasted a few days.

Next time we stopped at this port, decided to just walk around the town. And it was filthy. You had to look where you walked, and it stunk.

If we pass this way again, won't bother to leave the ship. I found this to be the worst port ever, poverty level almost on par with Haiti.

By the way Masaya Market (marketed by Princess as the largest market in Central America), was a really small place with stalls of

not worth buying stuff. Like the stalls in Cabo off the pier area but with crummier merchandise.

We did a tour of Masaya market and a stop to see the Apoyo Lagoon (no lunch). It was two hours by bus to get to the market, about an hour there, then a short stop for to see the lagoon which was beautiful, then another two hours in the bus back to the ship. Oh and it was unbelievably hot and humid, and we had to wait over an hour for a tender as traffic was terrible which meant all of the busses got back late and at the same time. I wouldn't do the market again but heard good things about the volcano tour from others.

This is the itinerary

Visit to Masaya Volcano

Lunch at El Filete

Guided tour of Granada

We enjoyed this trip, especially the volcano and the market. We bought a lot of wooden gifts there, beautiful wooden crafts. The lunch was a buffet and Granada interesting, but not our favorite spot

We did this tour this April 2015 and enjoyed it also.

This is the itinerary

Visit to Masaya Volcano

Lunch at El Filete

Guided tour of Granada

We also did this tour when we were on our trans-canal trip. We found it very enjoyable and would consider doing it again. The lunch was typical Central American and was good. The market was interesting and had goods that were not made in Asia which was a relief.