First time cruiser

iconix

Hello,

So I got a lovely surprise last week, my mother calls me and tells me to give my Grandmother a call...so I did. Guess we are cruising on the Royal Princess for 10 days on December 10th to the Carribeans..Antigua, Antigua & Barbuda-St. Lucia- Barbados- St. Kitts, St. Kitts- St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands-Princess Cays, Bahamas. Cruise/ flight is payed for, just have to worry about adventuring and "extra costs" on the ship or we have a mini suite too

Funny part of this was that same day prior to me making the phone call to Grandma, there was a bunch of women at work talking about vacation places and cruise. I informed them that I have never left Canada or had a real vacation.

And now I'm trying to learn about cruising... First off thank you to who ever made this forum, I plan on sucking all the knowledge I can from it.

I know we are flying in the day of the cruise but I'm not sure what time and I'm not thrilled about that because I am worried about being rushed but hey it's free, so I can't complain. So with this information, I plan on packing light to save on luggage cost at the airport. But I am hoping I can do some shopping near the Fort Lauderdale port.

Are there any decent shops near the port?

I know we can bring a bottle of wine each, is there a good liquor store near by?

Can we bring our own cork screw? I seen they charge to open at the restaurants but what about in the cabins?

Can I bring a multi-tool or a small folding knife? I plan on packing it in my checked luggage but worried about going to ports with it, if I am allowed. Before someone asks why I need my "tools" I am naked without them! Plus I have on more than one occasion "saved the day" with one or both tools. Fun story- Saved an entire bus of military personnel going when I was a kid. Whipper system broke down in the middle of an ice storm and they used my tools to fix it...imagine 30 military guys and 1 kid on a bus... The only one with any tools was the 14 year old lol I have also used them in a few emergencies and of course to open those damn Walmart packages. Now I carry a small knife on me all the time and there's usually a multi tool on me or close to me.

I apologize if any of these are stupid questions.... Like I said I'm really new to cruises and sadly vacationing.

Thank you all ahead of time.

If you are flying in the DAY OF the cruise, you will not have time to go clothes shopping...bring what you need! You will need to be ON the ship 90 mins. prior to spillway...and since boarding day IS day 1, you will want to make use of that ship!!!

You may bring a corkscrew, but the ship will provide one. Time can be bought at any drug or grocery store...no need to find a liquor store!

Yes..you can bring a multi-tool thing. Pocket knives under 3 inches are ok.

Make sure you do research on your ports....you can save a bundle on things to do ashore if you don't need an excursion...they are pricey! Most things are easy and cheap to do on your own...but you need info! So, get a guidebook on your ports!

Edited by cb at sea

First, check the Ft Lauderdale board for lots of info. Assuming you are flying into FLL, the port is only about 10 minutes away by cab. You will want to watch the Port Everglades Webcam occasionally to see ships going in and out. Typically Princess sails out of Berth 2 or 3, up near the A1A bridge (also called 17th street bridge. There is a large Total Wine store in the Harbor Shops (Cordova St about 1/2 mile west of here) and a Publix grocery with a large wine department at the same location. Your cab driver can take you there. The port has a few shops just north of the north entrance, but getting in the same day you probably won't have time to check in and walk there. The two bottles of wine per cabin are intended to be consumed in your cabin. You can carry on extra and they will charge a corkage fee for these (and you can take them to dinner without an additional fee). If you don't drink all your wine at dinner you can either take it with you or they will mark the bottle for the next night. By all means, bring your own corkscrew, although your steward can generally get you one. You can also buy wine from the bars or dining room, and they will add a 17% gratuity to that.

Search this board for "leatherman" to see how they handle knives. Generally if they find it they will hold it until you get off at the end of the cruise. And if you take it off at a port they will probably confiscate it when you get back onboard. You will go through a metal detector every time you get back onboard.

By all means do lots of reading on this board and pay particular attention to the info for Canadians - your onboard charges should be billed in US and let your bank do the conversion. Don't check the box on the cruise document to let them do the conversion. Have seen some recent talk about gifting yourself onboard credit that might help you. Don't use any of the items in the minibar in your cabin or you will be charged for them.

At some point you will be able to select shore excursions. With Princess you don't actually pay for these until the day you take them (although it is possible now to pay in advance if your conversion rate is favorable). Once you have your booking number you can put in all your personal information for the cruise on the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess web site. Each person will be charged something like $12US for gratuities to their onboard account, so plan for that. Of course you can give more to individuals if you want to.

Also research your ports for the cruise on the Cruise Critic boards. Even if you choose excursions from the cruise line this still gives you a lot of information. Preparing for the cruise is half the fun. In St Thomas you will dock at Crown Bay, which has only a few stores. Town is a $6 jitney ride to the east and there are a ton of shops there.

Have fun on your cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. No question is stupid.

You can obtain a corkscrew from room service and they will usually leave it for you to use during the cruise. As far as a multi tool I bring a Leatherman and pack it in my suitcase. Never had an issue.

No charge to open anything in your cabin.

There are some store near the port and actually in walking distance if you are at Pier #2. But there are always taxis available.

Congrats on your cruise! :D

Hello,

So I got a lovely surprise last week, my mother calls me and tells me to give my Grandmother a call...so I did. Guess we are cruising on the Royal Princess for 10 days on December 10th to the Carribeans..Antigua, Antigua & Barbuda-St. Lucia- Barbados- St. Kitts, St. Kitts- St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands-Princess Cays, Bahamas. Cruise/ flight is payed for, just have to worry about adventuring and "extra costs" on the ship or we have a mini suite too

And now I'm trying to learn about cruising... First off thank you to who ever made this forum, I plan on sucking all the knowledge I can from it.

I know we are flying in the day of the cruise but I'm not sure what time and I'm not thrilled about that because I am worried about being rushed but hey it's free, so I can't complain. So with this information, I plan on packing light to save on luggage cost at the airport. But I am hoping I can do some shopping near the Fort Lauderdale port.

I know we can bring a bottle of wine each, is there a good liquor store near by?

I apologize if any of these are stupid questions.... Like I said I'm really new to cruises and sadly vacationing.

I'm going to skip your questions as others who've been cruising way longer than I have will have better answers probably. What I am going to do is direct you to the Roll Call for your particular cruise. (What's a Roll Call? It's a group going on the same cruise on the same date you are.)

First of all go here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=28&ship_id=347&sailing_date=201507

and select your ship, month of sailing and then when that page comes up select your sailing date. (Yes, I could have given you the URL for that end page but this way you get to learn how to navigate here as you go along. )

That will put you on the page with others going on the same cruise that you're taking. You can ask questions and learn things way ahead of time. The Roll Calls are a great feature of this website.

Oh, as to asking stupid questions, none of the ones you asked are stupid, by any means. The thing to remember is that EVERYBODY, regardless of how many cruises they have accumulated now, started off with absolutely no cruises to their credit and they, too, probably had most, if not all, of the same questions that you're having today. ;)

Hope you have a great cruise and that it will be the first of many for you and yours!

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

being a first-time cruiser I would highly recommend the ship's excursions. Yes, they will be more expensive, but the security of knowing that ship will still be sitting where you expect it to be should your excursion get back to the ship late - due to unforseen circumstances is worth a lot.

Edited by Treven

Hello,

Extra Costs: First of all on board currency is US$. Second, You will have to go onto the Princess web site and go into the Cruise Personalizer to complete the immigration information. If you don't have a passport now is the time to get one. You will be required to enter your credit card no. if you are responsible for your own on board expenses. If your grandmother is paying for your on board expenses then you have to be 'linked' to her account. Once the immigration information is completed you are able to print your boarding pass, 75 days in advance.

Expenses:

*If you are in a mini suite then there will be a "Hotel Charge" (also called the auto-tip) of US$12pp/day charged to your on board account (US$120 for a 10 night cruise)

*All on board beverages. Check out the All Inclusive Beverage Package it may be for you.

*While the auto tip does cover all the tipping you may feel that you wish to provide an extra cash tip to some of those that serve you.

*Any Princess Tours or private tours.

*Any other misc. on board expenses

Pack everything you require. There is no time for clothes shopping in Ft. Lauderdale. There are self service laundries on board, but doubt you would want to waste time there on a 10 day cruise.

Your taxi will bring you directly to the port. It is a 10 min drive from the airport. You can ask the cab to stop at CVS or Walgreens along the way. They all sell wine.

Can we bring our own cork screw? I seen they charge to open at the restaurants but what about in the cabins?

There are cork screws and glasses as well as a fridge in every cabin.

Can I bring a multi-tool or a small folding knife? I plan on packing it in my checked luggage but worried about going to ports with it, if I am allowed.

Can't really answer that question, but doubt you will require a multi tool in the tourist areas.

See Above. OK here we go. Some of the things I state may be a repeat of what others have stated, but it is just easier to respond to your questions.

Also, suggest you post on the Royal Princess roll call for your cruise. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2092547

I wouldn't be thrilled with trying to fly in the same day of the cruise, especially in the winter. We always plan to get to our embarkation at least a day early except when leaving from the Port of Los Angeles, which is an hour's drive for us (and even then, we're getting into the car by 10am at the latest). You didn't say whether your grandmother is an experienced cruiser, but it's a good rule of thumb to be careful as far as flights when you have a deadline of when to be someplace.

One thing to do as mentioned above is to get a guide book for your ports. There's so many for the Caribbean. I usually start with a trip to the library to find one or two that I like and then try to find the latest edition (maybe on Amazon). Also if you google each port, you'll find a ton of tourism sites.

The big thing to remember about port stays is that you would need to be back on the ship by the time listed in that day's Patter. Usually that's a half hour before sailaway, so plan accordingly and pad in some time. That's one reason some will suggest booking any tours or excursions through Princess your first time at sea. But if you're careful you can map out your own tour or even lay out on a beach if you like. Make sure to double check a reliable watch against the ship's clock (don't rely on a cell phone except as a timer) and bring the day's Patter (will have the back on board time as well as the port agent's contact info, if needed), your photo ID and your cabin card (that will serve as your room key, your security card -- your photo will be embedded into it).

I have never had a corkscrew in my cabin. You can ask for one or I simply take one in my checked luggage. I also take a large Swiss Army Knife in my checked luggage. Never had a problem. Do NOT try to take something of that sort in your carry on luggage. They will take it.

One bottle of wine (no larger than 750 ml) per person is free to take on board. Any other wine will cost you $15 per bottle regardless of where you drink it. If you take your one "free" bottle to the dining room they will also charge you $15 for drinking it there.

All purchases will go against the credit card you have on file. The ship is a cashless society. You can't use cash even if you want to.

Enjoy your cruise. You only get one "first cruise" so make the most of it!

I you were (or are) in the military...fax your DD214 (US) or whatever they call it in Canada to Princess. There is a fax # on the Princess website or do a search here. Once you are registered, you will get OBC with every cruise you take.

For a 7-13 days, it is $100. Nice gift from Princess.

iconix, I'm on the same cruise. I second what the earlier poster said about coming over & joining the Roll Call.

If you're flying out of YYZ, there are enough early morning flights to ensure that you arrive in plenty of time for the cruise, it's only about a 3 hour flight. If the airfare was purchased through Princess, they will make sure that you're booked on a flight that arrives in FLL in plenty of time, and will even provide the transfer. Otherwise, the airport is only a short cab ride from the pier, and you can ask the driver to stop at the Publix on the way to fuel up...

Assuming you arrive in FLL with plenty of time for check-in, you can head to the Harbor Shops Shopping Center (less than 1 mile away from the port) for a little shopping. They have a Total Wine for your bottle of wine, a Publix grocery store for last minute incidentals (including wine) and a TJ MAxx for any last minute beach gear. I think you can ask any of the stores and they will help call a taxi to get you to the port - they are used to dealing with cruisers! I live north of Fort Lauderdale for 7 months of the year and on Saturdays and Sundays Harbor Shops is full of cruisers - we make sure we go to Total Wine on a week day! http://www.theharborshops.com/

Edited by capriccio

Search this board for "leatherman" to see how they handle knives. Generally if they find it they will hold it until you get off at the end of the cruise. And if you take it off at a port they will probably confiscate it when you get back onboard. You will go through a metal detector every time you get back onboard. Pack it in your checked luggage, do not hand carry it. Can't carry it onto the plane anyway. I agree do not bring it ashore as they may take it away when you get back on the ship (to be given back to you at the end of ythe cruise).

Each person will be charged something like $12US for gratuities to their onboard account, so plan for that. Of course you can give more to individuals if you want to. The $11.50 (or $12 if in a mini-suite or full suite) is per person per day.

See above in red.

If you bring a corkscrew, also have it in your checked luggage.

Hello,

Can I bring a multi-tool or a small folding knife?

I have a small 2..25in Gerber knife I used to have on my key chain. I took it off after 9/11 so I wouldn’t forget when I went through metal detectors.

I’d taken it at least a dozen times after 9/11 in my checked luggage on Princess with no problems. The last cruise I took it on a couple of years ago, our luggage never came and when I called no one knew where it was.

We were really getting concerned since dinner was coming up and we had no cloths to change in to.

At about 5:30 security calls and wants us to come down to the loading area. When I get there our luggage is on the floor – unopened. As security stands around watching I’m told to open it.

After ME going through the cloths, electronics etc. the officer points to my bathroom hanger bag and has me dump it. “What’s THAT?” he asks, pointing to the knife. He said I couldn’t have it but I insisted he measure it. He finely let me take but I was warned it was NEVER to leave my stateroom.

I don’t take it with me anymore.

Once I cooled down however I was impressed with the thoroughness of their baggage check.

I’d taken it at least a dozen times after 9/11 in my checked luggage on Princess with no problems. The last cruise I took it on a couple of years ago, our luggage never came and when I called no one knew where it was.

At about 5:30 security calls and wants us to come down to the loading area. When I get there our luggage is on the floor – unopened.

After ME going through the cloths, electronics etc. the officer points to my bathroom hanger bag and has me dump it. “What’s THAT?” he asks, pointing to the knife. He said I couldn’t have it but I insisted he measure it. He finely let me take but I was warned it was NEVER to leave my stateroom.

Once I cooled down however I was impressed with the thoroughness of their baggage check.

If they only found the knife one time in the dozen or more times you had it in your luggage, I would be more concerned that they were not thorough over 90% of the time.

If your flights are not already booked, I would highly encourage you to fly in the day before. The cost of a hotel for one night is far less than the cost to fly to the first port, and much less of a hassle! :eek:

Enjoy your cruise, and be warned--cruising is highly addictive! :D

I agree with joining your Roll Call but along with that, sign your mom and grandmother up and attend the Meet and Greet (M&G). There you can talk to some CC'ers(Cruise Critic brethren) and have a chance to meet the Captain, someone from Engineering (they have the best stories!), the Cruise Director or Assistant and someone from the kitchen (we had Head Chef last cruise).

Every day Princess will put a Patter on the outside of your door. You'll see a little plastic pocket with your name on it. The Patter is a daily events calendar for the next day. You can use that to plan ahead. I'd recommend the cooking show with kitchen tour, veggie carving and any port specific shows.

I feel the MDR (Main Dining Room) has better food than the buffet and you are more likely to eat better food vs more food. The Royal's buffet layout though is GREAT. I would recommend that "IF" you are going to try a specialty restaurant, you do so on the 1st day. Also on the Royal you have pretty good pizza on deck 5 where you also have the better coffee. If you like wine, then Royal has a wine dinner that is hosted by the Maitre'D. It's a little pricey but all 5 in my party really enjoyed it. Take your camera. Be careful - you can gain weight thinking about food. TRY THE SNAILS! They taste like butter and parmesan - don't be scared.

The Royal has an Enclave in the spa. Tour it on the first day then decide if that is for you. But at least tour it as it's only on the Royal and Regal - as far as I know.

That's a lot of stuff and you haven't even gotten off the boat.

On your 1st cruise you will have a blue card. Princess shows the loyalty program on their site, the room cards are color coded per level. If you get hooked on cruising like most of us, you can think of the loyalty program as a video game in that you get more "stuff" as you level up. 14 more cruises and you will be Elite that means FREE laundry. :P

Enjoy your cruise.

Op: When you get to your stateroom the first time look at the carpet in the hallway. One side of the ship is red and the other is blue. Note your color and you’ll never get lost.

Not on the Royal. Same carpet on both sides.

Bummer - we've only been on 9 Princess ships and they all red/white stripes on oposite sides. I found it to be very helpful the first few cruises.

It should be simple but with color Princess is very inconsistent.

BLUE, Left, Port, Even(cabin #s and # of letters) Princess fails on the color

RED, Right, Starboard, Odd(cabin #s and # of letters) Princess fails on the color

Pardon the pun Princess but get on board. ;)

If your flights are not already booked, I would highly encourage you to fly in the day before. The cost of a hotel for one night is far less than the cost to fly to the first port, and much less of a hassle! :eek:

Enjoy your cruise, and be warned--cruising is highly addictive! :D

While I agree completely with your statement about arriving the day before the day you're scheduled to depart, I'm not sure about the legality of flying to the first port when you're talking about an Alaskan cruise. I believe that may constitute a violation of the PSA (Passenger Services Act.) I'm checking with my go-to guy on questions like this so I may be coming back with an explanation of why this isn't the case.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

While I agree completely with your statement about arriving the day before the day you're scheduled to depart, I'm not sure about the legality of flying to the first port when you're talking about an Alaskan cruise. I believe that may constitute a violation of the PSA (Passenger Services Act.) I'm checking with my go-to guy on questions like this so I may be coming back with an explanation of why this isn't the case.

Tom

You are correct, Tom. I had missed the fact that this was an Alaskan cruise, and was thinking more along the lines of flying to one of the Caribbean islands, which IS legal.

So, OP, yet another reason to fly in the day early!

Holy smokes!!!! Wish I was this popular on my other forums... Lots of love in here.... Thank you allll for the information!

It does seem to be a hit or miss on the possible confiscated of my multi tool. Stuck in limbo as to bring it or not... I know if I don't bring it I'll have a backpack or luggage malfunction, have an emergency situation that my tool could help..

Funny thing is, even though I have never gone on vacation I have my passport lol

Nope, I'm not military both parents are. Mom was aware of the military discount but thank you for that heads up.

As far as flight goes... Grandma has control of that...I do know this, we are spending a night in Toronto close to the airport, so hopefully that means early flight.

The shopping I want to do is mainly for beverage stuff, somewhat healthy snacks for on the excursions. I msg princess and they said we can bring water and sodas. So I'm loading up mainly on water for me, sodas for everyone else and I'm hoping this means I will help burn calories by having to goto my room for drinks every time. I don't drink much but wish I could bring my own alcohol besides wine which will more than likely be for Mom and Grandma. Baileys and hot chocolate while watching movies... Sounds good lol

I'll sign up for roll call, Bu I don't know about the old folks (Mom and Grandma) Is Roll Call part of Princess and that's why you can meet the ships personnel?

As far as food goes... I'm happier than hell with pizza and burgers 24/7, I maybe in my early 30s but I'm still a believer that you can have all your daily needs on those two meals ...mainly pizza but there's a million ways to make it lol.. However I promise I will try new stuff....snails, shrimp, funny things like that I'll try... You toss me a octopus or something slimmy, I'll pass lol.

Speaking of gaining weight.... The gym... Please tell me what type of equipment they have on this boat. I don't sleep much. Plan is in bed by 1-2am (maybe) in the gym as early as I can get in or taking as much stairs as I can take before diving into the ocean to get to my exclusion lol

Oh I believe we are in a mini suite on deck 15 marina deck, Is this a good deck? Don't want to be stuck in the basement in case I need to find a life boat lol

ALASKA??? I think I missed something?? Eastern Caribbean is were we will be going... Alaska maybe next lol

Question... Formal.. I don't own any sport jackets (unless my sport bike leather counts? Lol) I'm willing to get one because my Grandma wants me to wear one, my only concern is will I cook in one? Otherwise is the main dining room near the pool because I will swim with it all on if I get to hot lol either way it looks like I need to find formal clothes because I have nothing, specially considering I'm in the process of loosing weight.

Not sure if I got to everything mention but again thank you all!!