El Nino - anyone sailed the Pacific in a strong El Nino

OlsSalt

Upcoming Amsterdam - 43 day Tales of the South Pacific RT from San Diego reaching deep into Polynesia and more remote South Pacific Islands looks like it will coincide with the strong El Nino developing this year in 2015.

Pacific waters will be warmer which is good, but what about more rain, winds and rough seas? Anyone have experience on this route during other strong El Nino years?

Thanks.

Haven't sailed in the Pacific (yet) but El Nino certainly affects the Atlantic Ocean as well. We have done a Transatlantic in a major storm and Captain Gunderson announced he was changing direction and went 200 miles off route to avoid it (or as much as he could). We had little effect compared to others we talked to who were on other ships and crossing at the same time.

Upcoming Amsterdam - 43 day Tales of the South Pacific RT from San Diego reaching deep into Polynesia and more remote South Pacific Islands looks like it will coincide with the strong El Nino developing this year in 2015.

Pacific waters will be warmer which is good, but what about more rain, winds and rough seas? Anyone have experience on this route during other strong El Nino years?

Thanks.

The primary weather effects of El Niño are felt elsewhere than in the Pacific - there it is largely a broader, warmer distribution of sea current: which impacts temperatures and rainfall in areas to the east of the Pacific Ocean. Simply put: a strong El Niño has more impact on cruises in the Atlantic than in the Pacific.

We've done this area many times, very likely during an El Nino season, but I would never remember that!!

Really, things vary, day to day, week to week, year to year, but you know that!

Mostly we've had rough seas from SD to Hawaii, except for the time it was like a lake (really!) and Hawaii to Fanning Island. Sometimes you miss a port in the South pacific area due to wind. Otherwise, wind and rain are common, but usually don't last long.

The ONE thing that I can say with confidence: it will be HOT!

This is a nice cruise, nice ship! Have a super time!

Thanks for the warning about the run out of San Diego and back being rough. Like the run between Seattle and the start of the Alaska cruises - but as you say, you never know and whatever it is, it changes.

Except the heat around the equator. And the humidity I suspect more than the heat. Goal of this trip is to spend as much time as we can underwater so hopefully we will avoid the worst. Plus balmy evenings for us are a total treat - looking forward to when the sun goes down and the stars come out.

How did you find the interior public room temperature during those Pacific cruises: show room and main dining room. Over-cold, stuffy or "just right".

Thanks for the warning about the run out of San Diego and back being rough. Like the run between Seattle and the start of the Alaska cruises - but as you say, you never know and whatever it is, it changes.

Except the heat around the equator. And the humidity I suspect more than the heat. Goal of this trip is to spend as much time as we can underwater so hopefully we will avoid the worst. Plus balmy evenings for us are a total treat - looking forward to when the sun goes down and the stars come out.

How did you find the interior public room temperature during those Pacific cruises: show room and main dining room. Over-cold, stuffy or "just right".

Balmy evenings, stars: you got that right!! Try the top deck after it gets dark.

Sunsets are outstanding! We've seen the "green flash" several times, mostly on this cruise itinerary!!

HAL does a good job of keeping the ship at a moderate temp in these hot places. Inside by the gangway/tender dock it can get hot and muggy, but the rest of the ship is good. My experience with HAL, however, always dictates a board range of clothing, just in case you get a hot or cold ship. It happens.

Make sure you take a lot of waterproof sunblock! Ship has terrible stock and the price is outrageous; also, it can be hard to find brands you are used to in these ports.

Glad to help, if I can!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Green flash too -- that would be frosting on the cake!

Any tips how to look for this - moment the sun dips on the horizon. Any weather patterns to be alert for that can maximize the chances or do we make this an evening ritual every single night -which sounds okay by me.

On a trans-Pacific route many years ago, a group informally gathered in total silence on the back deck (of another ship) to watch the sun go down and the horizon explode in colors and contrasts. Then it was over and we often spontaneously clapped and then silently all walked away and back to our other worlds on that ship.

I see some of the port websites ask tourist to use only "bio-degradable" sunblock. I'll stock up before we go. Nice to not have to worry about air line baggage limits this time, because often the first to go when shaving off ounces are the large liquid items, which I hope to later pick up in another port.

Edited by OlsSalt

Balmy evenings, stars: you got that right!! Try the top deck after it gets dark.

Sunsets are outstanding! We've seen the "green flash" several times, mostly on this cruise itinerary!!

HAL does a good job of keeping the ship at a moderate temp in these hot places. Inside by the gangway/tender dock it can get hot and muggy, but the rest of the ship is good. My experience with HAL, however, always dictates a board range of clothing, just in case you get a hot or cold ship. It happens.

Make sure you take a lot of waterproof sunblock! Ship has terrible stock and the price is outrageous; also, it can be hard to find brands you are used to in these ports.

Glad to help, if I can!

that is a huge help to a lot of us going. thank you as always :)

I'm already on the lookout for biodegradable sunblock, but haven't seen any here. I know the water was often murky where there were a lot of tourists on the Great Barrier Reef, and I would hate to add to pollution in the waters of FP.

Green flash too -- that would be frosting on the cake!

Any tips how to look for this - moment the sun dips on the horizon. Any weather patterns to be alert for that can maximize the chances or do we make this an evening ritual every single night -which sounds okay by me.

On a trans-Pacific route many years ago, a group informally gathered in total silence on the back deck (of another ship) to watch the sun go down and the horizon explode in colors and contrasts. Then it was over and we often spontaneously clapped and then silently all walked away and back to our other worlds on that ship.

I see some of the port websites ask tourist to use only "bio-degradable" sunblock. I'll stock up before we go. Nice to not have to worry about air line baggage limits this time, because often the first to go when shaving off ounces are the large liquid items, which I hope to later pick up in another port.

Green Flash:

Obviously, no clouds near the horizon. Just very clear day and a lot of luck.

Once the sun get close to the horizon it goes down very quickly and you have to be concentrating. Shading your eyes on the sides with your hands helps. It is not a big flash of green, just a small spot and it is gone. Sometimes it is hard to know if you've seen it!

Every evening on deck has been our ritual and I think that is why we have seen the Green Flash so many times.

Sunsets:

This is the cruise for sunsets. Some of the most spectacular ones! Big sky country means big sunsets.

Sunblock, etc:

Buy what you need/missed in Hawaii.

Fanning Island has the least expensive shell jewelry and other items on this cruise. If you don't stock up (i.e. buy twice as much as you think you want), you will be sorry! Some Crazy Glue comes in handy because some of this stuff is made on fishing line or similar and it has the alarming tendency to unravel -- messy! A touch of glue on the knots works wonders.

Hope this helps!

Edited by SilvertoGold

I'm already on the lookout for biodegradable sunblock, but haven't seen any here. I know the water was often murky where there were a lot of tourists on the Great Barrier Reef, and I would hate to add to pollution in the waters of FP.

Came across several that were recommended - amazon has some of the brands. Best was a website that compared several brands "best for snorkeling", They like "Rubber Ducky ' best and explain why. But guess what, it is also outrageously expensive $10 an ounce and mainly that white- coaty titanium dioxide - barrier block rather than chemical block.

Good research topic because I am also learning the "clearer" titanium dioxide sunblocks are "micronized" which I don't think is good either.

Mexican snorkeling resorts now require a biodegradable sunblock too and guess what, they also sell "Mexi-tan" which apparently is one of the good ones - though more "whitey" coating.

Some Crazy Glue comes in handy because some of this stuff is made on fishing line or similar and it has the alarming tendency to unravel -- messy! A touch of glue on the knots works wonders.

Hope this helps!

That idea sure helps me! I have a fairly nice shell necklace that's coming loose. Great idea, and I shall put it to use presently.

Thanks! :D

That idea sure helps me! I have a fairly nice shell necklace that's coming loose. Great idea, and I shall put it to use presently.

Thanks! :D

Glad to be helpful, Ruth.

On one of these cruises, my nifty, new Fanning Island shell bracelet started to 'shed" in the middle of the Explorer's Lounge. Finally got to use the glue I always pack!

Came across several that were recommended - amazon has some of the brands. Best was a website that compared several brands "best for snorkeling", They like "Rubber Ducky ' best and explain why. But guess what, it is also outrageously expensive $10 an ounce and mainly that white- coaty titanium dioxide - barrier block rather than chemical block.

Good research topic because I am also learning the "clearer" titanium dioxide sunblocks are "micronized" which I don't think is good either.

Mexican snorkeling resorts now require a biodegradable sunblock too and guess what, they also sell "Mexi-tan" which apparently is one of the good ones - though more "whitey" coating.

Thanks for that, will look online, DD shops a lot on amazon. I don't mind the white stuff on my nose, and perhaps a long sleeved shirt will protect the rest of me!

Someone on a blog recommended a fly-swatter - have that ready to pack!:D

REI has several biodegradable sunscreens listed on their website. I think most were $6 to $12 for 3 oz. or larger.

You may be able to use your Healthcare Savings Account to cover sunblock (if you have one). Rit sells Sun Guard, a powdered treatment you use to soak tightly woven cotton garments to give them a high SPF, if you prefer cotton (100% cotton). Have only been able to get this online.

I went to earth911.com where they list several eco friendly sunscreens ranging from $13 to $36. I only recognized one name and am not sure we can get the others in Canada. Ombrelle, coppertone and neutrogena also make them and are available in Canada. They are not cheap, usually running $20 to $25 a tube thought haven't checked the prices this year[emoji50]

OP, just looked at your itinerary, looks a good one, my DH ad I are wanting to do something similar but starting from the other direction from Australia. Once you get into the seas below the equator you are actually travelling at a good time of the year. Cyclone season starts around November, peaks Jan, Feb and Mar and finishes around April. So you are not likely to encounter a Cyclone in the southern South Pacific, we have and it is quite exciting :D

You're going to Dravuni, my favourite island - not dramatic but an untouched little green island amongst other untouched little green islands in blue blue seas. Don't expect much in infrastructure but the local residents are very friendly.

The only other island I have been on that is in your itinerary is Suva - people are incredibly friendly as well - Bula Bula (hello or welcome in their language) everywhere and from everyone - but the main town itself was nothing to write home about. It is the central area for business, airport and to get people out to the resorts. So look for a tour that takes you out of the main town.