Pre-cruise stay in London and electrical outlets?

Iamthesea

We are U.S. residents and will be staying at a boutique hotel for 4 nights in London before our cruise out of Southampton. We have never been to the UK. When traveling in Europe, we have always used the simple 2-prong adaptor to plug in our phones, iPads, chargers, my electric curlers and hair straightener. We also use this adaptor as an extra outlet resource when on the cruise.

What do we need in London? Or, I wonder if something might be provided for us at the hotel.

It depends on the products you are using. If it is an apple product you only need an adaptor. Read the fine print on the products you wish you use. We just learned this lesson our last cruise. Most products not say that they can handle 110 to 240. If so, you only need the small plug adaptor. The only product we needed the convertor for was an electric toothbrush. We will not travel with that anymore, too much bother.

Some "better"/more modern hotels will have more than one type of socket - either UK and European on UK and US - but, otherwise, you will need an adaptor with three prongs.

However, as Lynnees has warned, you MUST ensure that your appliance is dual voltage or use a step down transformer. If not, you risk destroying your appliance and, potentially, starting a fire.

NB: European voltage is also 220-240 volts.

Some hotels have them and will lend them to you but you really need the transformer as well as the adapter.

It depends on the products you are using. If it is an apple product you only need an adaptor. Read the fine print on the products you wish you use. We just learned this lesson our last cruise. Most products not say that they can handle 110 to 240. If so, you only need the small plug adaptor. The only product we needed the convertor for was an electric toothbrush. We will not travel with that anymore, too much bother.

Sorry, I meant to say that the appliances I use for my hair are dual wattage. I invested in those when we started traveling over seas. And the iPhone and iPad are fine, of course.

We also do not care to travel with a big convertor. ;)

you will need an adaptor with three prongs.

Thanks this sort of answered my question. Could you attached a link to the type of 3 prong adaptor needed? :)

Edited by Iamthesea

Sorry, I meant to say that the appliances I use for my hair are dual wattage. I invested in those when we started traveling over seas. And the iPhone and iPad are fine, of course.

We also do not care to travel with a big convertor. ;)

Thanks this sort of answered my question. Could you attached a link to the type of 3 prong adaptor needed? :)

As requested:

http://www.amazon.com/CKITZE-UK-Plug-Universal-Plug-Adapter/dp/B000G1EWZ2

The UK prongs are rectangular.

I use an adaptor for an electric razor which costs pennies. When I couldn't find it last trip and I was a bit low on my tablet - big scale panic - I bought a fancier one from Asda supermarket.

I have dozens of adaptors. French/UK. UK/France.

International woman of mystery, me:D

Now, next cruise I may invest in an UK/French to USA adaptor. If such a thing exists. Shame not to use all the sockets.

Edited to say yes, that is the one on the above post.

Edited by morbihan

Why not just email the hotel and find out what they might or might not have available?

When we were in London in May the hotel we stayed at had several different types of plugs right in the room, including one for our USA appliances.....maybe yours will too...but if not an email will answer your questions....why buy something if you don't need to?

Gracie, on our first trip to Europe, my sister did not have an adaptor. The hotel said that they had some complimentary adaptors, but they were all being used. I would rather be safe than sorry and take my own. ;)

The UK prongs are rectangular.

No wonder I could find one. I was looking for a 3 prong with round prongs. :D

Thanks so much for the link!

UPDATE: Glad I didn't purchase this before reading the reviews. :eek:

"This product does not accept 'polarized' US 2-pin plugs (those with one blade wider than the other). "

Now that I know what the thing is suppose to look like, I can check around. I will also take the suggestion and see if the hotel happen to have U.S. outlets, as well as the others.

Edited by Iamthesea

Thank you. ;)

I just returned from your neck of the woods - Litchfield Beach. I am ready to go back! :)

Yes, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield, and Pawley's Island are great places to visit, especially when all the tourist have gone home. :)

Thanks again for the link. I noticed that the adaptor has the small and large slots. I am ordering now. Can't beat free shipping! :)

We have a house on South Litchfield. Less crowded. House sits between the marsh and the canal. It's a piece of heaven! A quick walk or golf cart trip and we are at the ocean. :)

Pawley's is the same way, while N. Litchfield and the main thoroughfare are much more crowded. I wouldn't touch Myrtle Beach during any season. It was crowded back when I was a little girl.:eek:

Here's our house view below. And one of the beach this past weekend.

FullSizeRender.jpg.3c3da4c2f5db79cc7103e0b75f4a405f.jpg

863859086_SaturdayMorning.jpg.992c0340ed4c4707309c6333cd26cb35.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea

Thanks again for the link. I noticed that the adaptor has the small and large slots. I am ordering now. Can't beat free shipping! :)

We have a house on South Litchfield. Less crowded. House sits between the marsh and the canal. It's a piece of heaven! A quick walk or golf cart trip and we are at the ocean. :)

Pawley's is the same way, while N. Litchfield and the main thoroughfare are much more crowded. I wouldn't touch Myrtle Beach during any season. It was crowded back when I was a little girl.:eek:

Here's our house view below. And one of the beach this past weekend.

Nice pictures!

Sorry, I meant to say that the appliances I use for my hair are dual wattage. I invested in those when we started traveling over seas.......

So you don't need a voltage converter.

All you need is an adapter.

For England 31qMYnab8ML._SL75_.jpg

Or, if you want to be prepared for future trips you can buy a small, lightweight adapter plug set for about $16 that includes 5 plugs to take care of just about anywhere in the world you may travel. For example, this one

Conair Travel Smart Polarized 5 Adapter Plug Set

It comes with a little bag to hold the adapter(s) that you want to take with you on each trip.

It includes pictures of all the plugs with a list of the countries where each one works, so you don't even need to remember which plug to use for which country -- just glance at the picture.

Yes, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield, and Pawley's Island are great places to visit, especially when all the tourist have gone home. :)

We too live in Murrells Inlet.

Be sure to bring the correct adapter. Boutique hotels may not have one to lend you. I almost burnt our vanity at the Sanctuary! Ruined my curling iron. Ever try to buy a US approved iron in the UK; one at Harrod's of London was Just not worth the expense! I went without for a two week cruise!

....... Conair Travel Smart Polarized 5 Adapter Plug Set

It comes with a little bag to hold the adapter(s) that you want to take with you on each trip.

It includes pictures of all the plugs with a list of the countries where each one works, so you don't even need to remember which plug to use for which country -- just glance at the picture.

P.S. I just noticed that it lists the names of the countries where each adapter works right on the adapter itself, so you don't even need to look at the picture.

We too live in Murrells Inlet.

Be sure to bring the correct adapter. Boutique hotels may not have one to lend you. I almost burnt our vanity at the Sanctuary! Ruined my curling iron. Ever try to buy a US approved iron in the UK; one at Harrod's of London was Just not worth the expense! I went without for a two week cruise!

We eat at what we call "Mama Lee's", Lee's Inlet Kitchen in Murrells Inlet. Love their hushpuppies and the seafood was excellent this last visit.

P.S. I just noticed that it lists the names of the countries where each adapter works right on the adapter itself, so you don't even need to look at the picture.

I realized when getting ready to order Wine O's suggestion that the shipping is not included unless you spend $100 or more. I will check Best Buy and Radio Shack (not sure we still have one) when I am out this week.

fleckle - Thank you for the link to your set. That's something to think about. Although I do not need anymore of the NW1C adapters, I will need the NW2C's for future trips.

Edited by Iamthesea