The Gullveig's Crew was Superb - Management, not so much

robert lockwood

:mad:We got back from our Viking Danube River Cruise yesterday. I’ve been critical of Vikings management on this site and I wanted to let everyone how our trip turned out….like I promised.

The ship, the crew, the food, our room, the sites and the tours were all first class. Especially the crew – they made this a wonderful 25th wedding anniversary vacation. There are too many to mention but they know who they are and so does the captain. We made new friends and dance every night. So the question is will we river cruise again? Absolutely! Will it be on Viking? Probably not – the crew on the ship “won us over” but their management kept making decisions undid the goodwill that the crew provided.

Management’s focused on their bottom line instead of the customer experience three times:

#1 - The old issue – We bought the Viking Air Plus package and paid extra for confirmed tickets with better flight times. These were confirmed flights with confirmation numbers. See my prior posts. In a nutshell - Viking changed our flights which meant getting to the airport at 6 am and having a 6 hour layover. For 7 days they promised to have a Flight Supervisor call our travel agent or us to resolve the issue. Every day we would call and they would repromise to call us back. They never called. During these 7 days they said they wouldn’t refund the money either – which is nuts as you can’t charge us for an additional option – not provide it – then keep the money we paid for the extra option. Before I left I wrote the CEO telling him about our situation. While we were on the ship I got a note that said they had given us back the flights we had already paid.

BTW – two couples from our cruise were on our same flight that Viking changed, then changed back did not paid extra like we did for these better flight times and there flights never changed – which makes you wonder why they chose customers who paid extra to bump. It just doesn’t make any sense.

#2 - New Issue – there was low water between Regensburg and Nuremberg so our boat sat for 3 nights just north of Passau and we took bus rides to Regensburg and Nuremberg. A 3.5 hour round trip and a 6 hour round trip. I realize that they don’t control the river level but other Viking Longships (the Tor, Jarl and probably others too) both went up and down the river as well as many company’s ships as we just sat there. They wouldn’t address why – so the only thing I can deduce is that since our cruise ended in Nuremberg and another started back to Budapest that same day – they were worried that if we continued on to Nuremberg that water levels got worse that the next cruise would be stuck. So they made the decision for our cruise to sit for 3 nights to benefit those on the next cruise who would then have a full 7 day trip. They brought those guests from Nuremberg to the ship to start their cruise the day we got off the ship.

It was purely an economic decision – they could have continued our cruise as planned but it would have potentially risked the next cruises return. I’m not comfortable with the decision – sacrificing us for the next cruise - we all paid the same amount. But the confounding thing is that no one was offered anything for being short changed. The on board crew did the best they could with management’s decision and I don’t fault them. I just think everyone should know how Viking operates.

#3 - Last Minor Issue – In total my wife and I paid ~$2,000 for a balcony room – which was very nice and was great while we cruised down the river – but we spent 4 days and 4 nights parked next to other ships so instead of a view of the river we looked into someone else’s room.

So I hope others find this information helpful – we will probably travel on Scenic or Tauck next year with friends that we made on this year’s trip.

Both my wife and I travel often – probably 40% of the time so we know that things happen. It really makes you appreciate when things go as they are planned. Like our flights to Europe being delayed for 4 hours because none of the plane’s bathrooms worked – it meant we missed our connection and a day in Budapest. This is the adventure of travel and it happens sometimes. The difference is that the airlines provided us with food vouchers and a trip to the Admiral’s Club for the long layover. It was their way of saying “we are sorry and we care that you have been inconvenienced.” We didn’t have to ask - maybe Viking’s management team could learn something from the airlines.

Enjoy your river cruise!

I am curious about why you are starting a new thread about an old topic...I think CCers have listened and offered advice and support in your 'second' thread on this same topic...so this makes Thread #3.

You had issues, you got your flights changed, you had a great trip, now...isn't that enough? Time to move on me thinks.

PS if you are coming here hoping that Viking will pony up something....don't be holding your breath for any rebate on being rafted and obscuring your balcony room...you'd have to take a number and stand in a very long line up of others who didn't come to CC first or did and didn't believe that 'SURPRISE' you have company looking in your window/balcony.

Suffice to say, you paid your money, you got your cruise, the river was low (it happens) but overall you had a good trip. Time to move on...

For the posters who use Scenic and Tauck....I'd warn them this guy is coming!!! I don't think he'll be happy no matter what!

I would really hate to go through life looking and finding nothing but bad to talk about!!

Maybe a little cheese with his whine?

Thanks for your all the comments. I only posted our experience because I was asked to in one of the other treads plus I wanted “new river cruisers” like us to know what can happen. I thought this is one of the purposes of Cruise Critic. We will book with other companies next time because:

#1 - Although Viking finally relented and rebooked us on the flights we paid for in January and were confirmed – however they drug it out and never called me or our travel agent like they promised 7 days in a row. We didn’t hear anything until we were on the ship a couple of days. I own a small vacation rental business and would never think of not responding to a customer, especially after I said that I would.

#2 -I didn’t know that rafting is a big issue – but since our cruise stopped short of our destination and we sat for multiple days and nights it seemed a little extreme to me not to see anything from our balcony for 40% of our trip.

#3 - I’m perplexed that Viking wouldn’t answer anyone on our ship as to why other Viking Longships continued up the river to our destination and we just sat there. As I mentioned, we were passed by Viking longships going both ways and ships from other companies as well. It seems to me that even though there was supposedly low water something kept us from continuing while other ships sailed right by. The only thing the cruisers on the ship were left to think is that we wouldn’t like the answer. Again, it just seems really odd to dodge the question every day while we just sat.

As I said we are experienced travelers and expected more from Viking as far as communication. Are my expectations too high? Is it too high an expectation to think that Viking would do what they said they would do or answer a simple question? I find it odd that some on this site would think that it is or try and minimize these issues. Hmmm?

I don’t know what the norm is when these things happen on a river cruise. My only benchmark is the airline industry. They offer vouchers and such and if you are bumped from a flight offer a free flight in the future. It is standard practice even if it is weather related like “low water.” I don’t know what the practice is for river cruise companies. Maybe the industry doesn’t do anything and that is good information for new cruisers to know. Can anyone provide some light on this?

Someone made a point that other companies may have similar issues – that may be the case. Viking is adding ships like crazy and maybe they are growing too fast and their non-ship customer service has suffered. The ship and crew were fabulous and I’m glad we took the cruise and the pre and post extensions.

My only benchmark is the airline industry. They offer vouchers and such and if you are bumped from a flight offer a free flight in the future. It is standard practice even if it is weather related like “low water.

I can only assume you haven't flown much in recent years...

With the airlines you get nothing if it is weather related and IDB gets you cash or a voucher but not a 'free flight'.

It's tough to know exactly what to expect, I sure didn't know about rafting until I experienced it. Most here, with the exception of a very few self appointed "expert" cruisers, don't know what they don't know. We live, learn and sometimes experience disappointment.

...IDB gets you cash or a voucher but not a 'free flight'.
14 CFR 250.5 requires that passengers Involuntarily Denied Boarding receive 400% of their fare if the airline can not get them to their destination within 4 hours of their original scheduled arrival. 400% of the fare paid is close enough to a free flight for my purposes.

I think the OP has some legitimate complaints versus Viking (eg taking the money for the flight change, and then attempting to give him neither the flight change or his money back; no explanation for why his boat is sitting for days while other similar Viking longboats are sailing past in both directions). I'll agree with CPT Trips comment about self appointed experts.

Thank you for letting us know how your cruise went and your thoughts.

Did you really only pay about $2,000 per person for the cruise itself? That's a heck of a deal. If that's the case, I guess you get what you pay for.

I read the $2000 as being the delta between the lowest price cabin and the balcony cabin they purchased.

14 CFR 250.5 requires that passengers Involuntarily Denied Boarding receive 400% of their fare if the airline can not get them to their destination within 4 hours of their original scheduled arrival. 400% of the fare paid is close enough to a free flight for my purposes.

You seem to be agreeing with me, the compensation is more specific than 'a free flight'.

My point was that he is using his incorrect beliefs about airline behavior to judge a river cruise.

I'm sure if he now uses the email address posted earlier by Viking to get in contact regarding his specific point about the time the ship spent docked while others continues cruising that Viking will deal appropriately with his complaint.

No point in making much of the rafting point as that is relevant only to the extent that it was a result of the extended docking period.

My pleasure for the update - sorry for any the confusion. The ~$2,000 price that I mentioned was what we paid extra to have a French Balcony room instead of the standard room. The $2,000 extra was for both of us - $1,000 apiece. My point was we spent about 40% of our time rafted so the balcony was not as useful as we thought it would be – it was like paying for a balcony without a view.

This was our first river cruise so comparing what the airlines do to how river cruise companies operate when things go wrong might not be valid – that is why I asked about their standards or guidelines.

We fly a lot and when things don’t go right the airlines provide perks – food vouchers, entry into the Admiral’s club and even free tickets when things get really messed up. It might be our status with USAir – but they always take care of us. Has anyone heard of someone getting something from a river cruise company when things like what happened to us occur?

thanks for coming back and explaining your recent Viking experience. its important to hear about the good/bad/ugly to assist others in their choices. people can make up their own minds about opinions. the rafting is an issue and needs to be discussed to inform others, many maybe unaware.

I truly believe that you should e mail Viking. My experience with them is good at getting back to you. If not, I wouldn't be taking my 6th cruise with them. As others have said, things happen, please email them at the address they have posted on CC.

I truly believe that you should e mail Viking. My experience with them is good at getting back to you. If not, I wouldn't be taking my 6th cruise with them. As others have said, things happen, please email them at the address they have posted on CC.
I don't doubt that Viking is good at getting back to you. The problem is they don't do anything when they do get back to you. As an example see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942909 As I noted in Msg # 61 in that thread Viking over a year and a half ago commented "we have read all of your posts and noted your points of disappointment and frustration" concerning misleading statements about dining choices, yet a year and half later the Viking website STILL has the same misleading (I am being polite - I actually think they are just plain false) statements.

My pleasure for the update - sorry for any the confusion. The ~$2,000 price that I mentioned was what we paid extra to have a French Balcony room instead of the standard room. The $2,000 extra was for both of us - $1,000 apiece. My point was we spent about 40% of our time rafted so the balcony was not as useful as we thought it would be – it was like paying for a balcony without a view.

Rafting is an increasing problem, and AFAIK it's worst on the Danube itineraries. If you sail on the Rhone or the Douro there is a lot of daytime sailing, so you are guaranteed a view from your balcony much of the time.

I read the $2000 as being the delta between the lowest price cabin and the balcony cabin they purchased.

Thank you - I think I missed that.

My pleasure for the update - sorry for any the confusion. The ~$2,000 price that I mentioned was what we paid extra to have a French Balcony room instead of the standard room. The $2,000 extra was for both of us - $1,000 apiece. My point was we spent about 40% of our time rafted so the balcony was not as useful as we thought it would be – it was like paying for a balcony without a view....

Thanks - that makes more sense. ;)

robert lockwood: Has anyone heard of someone getting something from a river cruise company when things like what happened to us occur?

Yes, but not from Viking or Scenic.

Thom

I beg to differ.

We had issues with the air conditioning on our Bucharest to Budapest cruise with Viking. The air wasn't working for the last 3 days of the cruise - and we were offered a voucher worth the equivalent of 3 days of our cruise. It was based on what we paid - so the people in the suites were offered more than those of us in Aquarium Class --> I think this was the right way to do it.

On our 1st cruise with Scenic, we had booked their Tulip Time itinerary - and had booked our flight - when Scenic informed us that the sailing we had booked was no longer available. We had booked our own air - so when they offered us an alternative date, we needed to change our flights. Scenic paid the cost of the change fee without question.

We didn't ask for anything outrageous - and we had to stand our ground with Scenic - but both situations were settled to our satisfaction.

The problem for the OP is that Viking may offer something, but I am sure it will be in the form of a voucher to be used for future travel. The OP has already said he will most likely do another river cruise - but doubts he will do it with Viking. But he will have to travel with them again if his compensation is a voucher - and he wants to use it.

Fran

Edited by franski

I beg to differ.

We didn't ask for anything outrageous - and we had to stand our ground with Scenic - but both situations were settled to our satisfaction.

The problem for the OP is that Viking may offer something, but I am sure it will be in the form of a voucher to be used for future travel. The OP has already said he will most likely do another river cruise - but doubts he will do it with Viking. But he will have to travel with them again if his compensation is a voucher - and he wants to use it.

Fran

I too beg to differ. We travelled with three other couples with Viking on the Danube when an outbreak of some bug occurred that felled many passengers and crew (NOT norwalk..more head and chest with fever).

For reasons unknown, precautionary measures were not taken to help thwart the spread (love the word 'thwart' don't you?). I had made a comment on CC after our trip about the illness and Viking contacted ME! using info from my screen info.

They offered a voucher to put towards another cruise that was more than generous to all 4 couples since all 4 couples had been sick.

As it turns out, we were unable to plan any trips in the next year to be able to use the vouchers. I still think that was pretty darn good customer service.

Viking contacted ME! using info from my screen info.

Putting the customer service issue aside, are you in anyway disconcerted about a cruise line that ferrets out their customers' identity from a screen name and location on a public discussion board?

The is the second example of this circumstance that I've encountered on these boards recently. I don't recall whether it was Viking both times.

If any cruise line contacted me from such scant information, I would really have something to complain about. Additionally, I would ask CC to allow me to set up a new profile that obscured all relevant identifying data.

Putting the customer service issue aside, are you in anyway disconcerted about a cruise line that ferrets out their customers' identity from a screen name and location on a public discussion board?

The is the second example of this circumstance that I've encountered on these boards recently. I don't recall whether it was Viking both times.

If any cruise line contacted me from such scant information, I would really have something to complain about. Additionally, I would ask CC to allow me to set up a new profile that obscured all relevant identifying data.

NO, I was not disconcerted.

I was the only passenger from my town...in fact the only Canadian on the cruise. So it wouldn't have too hard to find me.

It was a good guess on their part and they didn't know for sure; their first question was 'Are you Remydiva?' In my posts on CC, I never complained, never threatened, never stomped my foot; I merely reported my situation on this forum in response to another CCer saying they had gotten sick.

I actually thought it was excellent customer service to try and find me in their effort to learn more about the health concerns on one of their ships. Their first concern was to investigate why protocol hadn't been followed to contain the spread of the illness so they wanted to hear more about the situation. I forget the actual details but Viking's protocol is something like if four passengers report an illness, the staff is supposed to move to a higher level of sanitation and containment. This did NOT happen on our cruise.

After hearing about how sick we were, THEN they offered compensation.

So, to take a different point of view, wouldn't you be glad that Viking went to those lengths to investigate if their health and safety procedures were being followed and if not, make the changes to improve staff training? I was.

I take my personal identity security seriously but again, no, I was not disconcerted by Viking contacting me in this case.