Azamazing Evenings -- Yes or No

Thameside

Earlier in this thread, Bonnie said the outdoor Ephesus concert was cancelled for a late September/early October cruise because it can get cold at night in the fall in western Turkey. Gee wiz, it might even rain! (My comment - baloney; we scuba dived all year round in the Aegean when I lived there.) So it looks like one of the primary reasons we picked this particular October cruise line and ship has been replaced - a good "bait and switch" tactic, I agree.

We are not real happy with the "theme park" idea but will probably check it out, as I am the only one of the four of us who has been in Turkey. Personally, I am not expecting much for that evening; gotta keep in mind the 24 hour cancellation requirement. This will definitely challenge Azamara and the crew of the Journey since this is our first cruise on Azamara!

Wife and I took an Azamara cruise to Croatia and the Dalmation islands as our first Azamara cruise. We are Regent cruise regulars. The Azamara Evening was a cello concert by Croation star, Ana Rucner. Not knowing what to expect, we went anyway. It was GREAT. The venue was perfect. The music was different from what we expected, but....we loved it. I would attend any Azamara Evening because we loved our first experience. No food was served, but sparkling wine was complementary.

Wife and I took an Azamara cruise to Croatia and the Dalmation islands as our first Azamara cruise. We are Regent cruise regulars. The Azamara Evening was a cello concert by Croation star, Ana Rucner. Not knowing what to expect, we went anyway. It was GREAT. The venue was perfect. The music was different from what we expected, but....we loved it. I would attend any Azamara Evening because we loved our first experience. No food was served, but sparkling wine was complementary.

we had all kinds of snacks- rich and heavy bit it was my dinner. later i went and got an ice cream at a shop. finding they are serving less and less food each year.

Weather base typical temps in Oct for this area show: (West Turkey.. East Greece)

Avg High 67 73

Avg Low 53 58

Rainy season starts in Oct thru Mar.

No matter when and where one travels, you have to be prepared and put up with weather. Must admit though that rain would mess up an outdoor concert. No matter - still major disappointment! Would lo loved to have tried....

On our cruise in June 2014 we were scheduled to have our Azamazing Evening at Ephesus but unfortunately it rained late afternoon and the venue for the concert was quickly changed to the large hall at the "theme park". Whilst Azamara and the tour agency did a good job with the logistics the overall experience was extremely disappointing. The orchestra was very good but all the seating was on the same level so those at the back were unable to see the musicians.

I have now attended 5 Amazing evenings and for me only 2 were worth attending, The concert in St Michaels Caves in Gibraltar and the concert at the Phoenix Theatre in Venice. I don't regard them as a major selling point and would rather the price of the cruise was reduced.

• 3 weeks later...

MY wife and I and an other couple are on the May 2016 Venice to Istanbul crucise. Anyone know what the Amazing Evening is and what it entails?

They sound wonderful, but are they an extra cost and if so included?

If it is in Debrovnik, I have been their before and have some special restaurants I would like to go to instead.

If Ephesus, I am toying with doing a private tour so I can get to see all the ruins I especially want to focus on.

If Istanbul, I am neural as we will be staying several days after the cruise ends to make sure we see lots of this city and get its full flavor.

Again, any thoughts, information, or advice on the Amazing evenings for the May 2016 Venice to Istanbul cruise?

They are free, but you do have to sign up for them of you want to go. You should be able to find out what it is, and where it is by looking at the Land Discover brochure for your cruise on the Azamara web-site. On cruises including Ephesus the Azamazing Evening has often been a concert at Ehpesus, plus drinks and snacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MY wife and I and an other couple are on the May 2016 Venice to Istanbul crucise. Anyone know what the Amazing Evening is and what it entails?

They sound wonderful, but are they an extra cost and if so included? No extra cost to attend, but if you sign up to go and don't cancel there will be charge.

If it is in Debrovnik, I have been their before and have some special restaurants I would like to go to instead. If you hadn't taken the Gondola up the mountain for a view, it is fantastic to see the old city from a view point.

If Ephesus, I am toying with doing a private tour so I can get to see all the ruins I especially want to focus on. Doing a private tour I think is always the best and you should try and get some other couples to share cost for a total of 6 or so. If your Amazing evening is here try and arrange an early tour so you could rest before the Azamazing evening,If Istanbul, I am neural as we will be staying several days after the cruise ends to make sure we see lots of this city and get its full flavor.

Again, any thoughts, information, or advice on the Amazing evenings for the May 2016 Venice to Istanbul cruise?

For Istanbul I suggest you use a cab and have the driver say drop you off at the grand bazaar and park the car and come back to walk you through the bazaar. Make a deal ahead of time s to cost which I think you should pay any parking fees, but ask how much and have him show you the parking receipt.

A driver is good to go and buy your tickets say for Topaki and study Topaki to know what you want to see. We took our driver to lunch at the restaurant he selected and it was wonderful. There were just two of us, but it would be OK with two more in the cab. The deal would be for the entire cab on a per hour fee. I don't know what it would be but I would guess an 8 hour day might be $240 for a starting point and then work it out. You have to be sure he speaks English. Most of the cabs near the cruise dock speak English. Take some time to haggle and don't be in a hurry. Use a hand held recorder to satisfy the contract.

Edited by scapel

Although I'm not entirely at one with Azamara, the Azamazing evening on my cruise was such a logistic success that I have to admire them.

It was a dance performance in Batumi, Georgia.

Returning to the ship we were met with drinks and a band playing. All the locals were watching from behind barriers. Never felt so much like a celebrity on the red carpet in all my life! Hahahahahaha.

Edited by canny_cruiser

Our next Azamazing Evening is a night of music in the magnificent Cathedral of Palma .....this is a once in a lifetime experience.

We are really looking forward to it. :)

Lucky you! We are in Palma today (on Quest) and, sadly, we don't have an AzAmazing evening as it is one of the replacement dry dock cruises.

Ah well, we will just have to visit the Cathedral and use our imagination!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone by chance experienced in Sorrento what is described as

Discover the enthralling songs of Campania's darling tenor, the early-20th century Enrico Caruso during this performance by local singers in Sorrento's town center.

It looks like this might be held in a movie theater, the Cinema Teatro Armida. I'm travelling with my family of three teenagers, my wife and my mother in law. None of us would really be much into a sort of tenor concert, and if the venue is an indoor movie theater versus some great outdoor venue, my gut says it might be better to skip this. Shopping, gelato, coffee and people-watching is probably more our style.

But...if this is a repeat evening, and others have a positive review, I would certainly love to hear it!

And when best laid plans don't go to plan...... An amusing explanation by Captain Jose how a logistical problem was overcome and a brief recording of the first part of the subsequent performance.

A more detailed report of the cruise has been submitted under the heading Quest cruise 11th October.

Please forgive our very amateurish attempt at being a video recordist:).

David and Julia