USA Today → Cruise smackdown: Anthem of the Seas vs. Regal Princess

-Lew-

Thank you for posting this. Wanted to go on Anthem or her sister for awhile. At least I'll get to go on Regal soon.

Would like to hear from someone who has been on both (or their sisters) for a comparison. Beyond the gimmicks on each, the choice of eating venues seems better on Anthem.

As much as we like Princess, and are planning to go on Regal in Feb, Royal Caribbean can't be beat for their cutting edge activities. We did Quantum in January and loved the Ifly and bumper cars. We also really enjoyed the Dynamic dining. Because of the activities I find the average age a little lower. RCi ships are really beautiful inside.

We are still a big fan of Princess but find there are so many different options on RCI.

I still believe Princess does have the best itineraries. It just depends what you are looking for a particular cruise. So we go back and forth between the two.

Would like to hear from someone who has been on both (or their sisters) for a comparison. Beyond the gimmicks on each, the choice of eating venues seems better on Anthem.

I have been on both the Royal and Regal Princess, and I have been on Quantum of the Seas. Absolutely no comparison whatsoever. RCI blew Princess out of the water with these ships. In fact, I'd say RCI blew Princess Royal Class out of the water with their last 3 ships classes.

Quantum Class is an absolutely amazing jaw-dropping experience. Royal/Regal's on board entertainment has nothing to compete with Quantum's main show (Mama Mia), ice shows and the shows in Two70. You walk around Quantum Class saying "wow" around every corner. On Royal/Regal, it's just "meh."

Cabins are much larger and have fully interactive TVs on Quantum. By "fully interactive," I mean you can order room service and check your spending balance. You can also log onto the internet using a provided keyboard. Plus, the ridiculous balconies they built on Royal/Regal are a joke compared to the spacious balconies on Quantum. Heck, you can even book an interior with a virtual balcony.

Interesting that the first feature mentioned of the RCCL ship is the skydiving simulator while the first feature for the Regal is the Seawalk.

Guess which actually gets more use during a cruise.

I have read a few CC member reviews of Anthem. Most seemed to agree that the best thing on the ship was seeing "We Will Rock You", but since I've already seen it preformed in London, I think that might be a let down for me.

There were a lot of complaints about people making multiple overlapping reservations for the shows and dinner. The venues showed fully booked, when they were actually half empty.

Others complained that all of the electronic fancy mechanical things were constantly breaking down.

I think I'll stick with Princess.:)

What about the food? I agree, Royal's entertainment (at least on Oasis) was better than I've seen on Princess. I'm really interested in comparisons of the buffets and specialty dining options on both. I enjoy the various food options during a cruise just as much as the ports and entertainment!

What about the food? I agree, Royal's entertainment (at least on Oasis) was better than I've seen on Princess. I'm really interested in comparisons of the buffets and specialty dining options on both. I enjoy the various food options during a cruise just as much as the ports and entertainment!

Here are my opinions of the speciality restaurants. I recently travelled on Freedom OTS, and have been on four Princess ships.

SteakHouse - Princess wins by a landslide. I did not enjoy my steak and meal all that much, nor did I like the fact that certain cuts and seafood (lobster) were up-charges over the existing restaurant fee which was already higher than Princess. $35 v $25. Realistically if you wanted steak and lobster you're talking about a 50-75 dollar meal. Not drastically different than at home.

Italian - I loved RCL's Italian restaurant and thought it was a lot better than Princess. The variety of food and offerings was a nice surprise.

Mexican - I also loved RCL offers this addition. As far as I know, Princess doesn't have anything like that anywhere in their fleet. I enjoyed it for that reason, and that it so different from normal cruise offerings.

Interesting that the first feature mentioned of the RCCL ship is the skydiving simulator while the first feature for the Regal is the Seawalk.

Guess which actually gets more use during a cruise.

The Seawalk? That's a nice feature, but not new at all. Princess was about 7 years behind RCI with it. Although it's nicer on Royal Class, Enchantment of the Seas has had that since 2005.

The ship looks interesting and some of the dining options sound interesting also. However, I wouldn't use the bumper cars, rock climbing wall, wave surfing pool, etc. I also prefer the Princess decor and don't need a two deck shopping mall area.

I'm glad there are choices and I am sure many people will prefer the different ambiance and the activities, amenities, etc. but I will stick with Princess - at least for now. It suits me fine and I feel kind of "at home" and "comfortable" with Princess.

This is a smack down between the Anthem and Regal? How ridiculous! They are totally different and appeal to different interests in the cruising experience.

Anthem, like it's sister ships is a floating amusement Park. Regal is befitting of her name and appeals to people that want to "cruise".

There really is no other cruise line that compares to RC's style.

The smack down should be between Quantum and Anthem.:) Quantum is running at 47% after 375 reviews.

Edited by Mom33

This is a smack down between the Anthem and Regal? How ridiculous! They are totally different and appeal to different interests in the cruising experience.

Agree 100%. It's a silly comparison.

I follow every new cruise ship as it comes out, and QUANTUM/ANTHEM have absolutely zero appeal to me. While I understand that some people need to have bells and whistles thrown at them 24/7, I'm content standing at the rail, listening to the ocean, and watching the sun go up and down. Don't get me wrong: I'm sure RCI's latest Coney Island at Sea is a spectacular ship.....I'm just not that interested in what it has to offer.

I follow every new cruise ship as it comes out, and QUANTUM/ANTHEM have absolutely zero appeal to me. While I understand that some people need to have bells and whistles thrown at them 24/7, I'm content standing at the rail, listening to the ocean, and watching the sun go up and down. Don't get me wrong: I'm sure RCI's latest Coney Island at Sea is a spectacular ship.....I'm just not that interested in what it has to offer.

I'm really curious about this post. How can Quantum/Anthem have zero appeal, but Carnival Breeze does appeal to you? Breeze is easily, as you put it, a "bells and whistles thrown at them 24/7" or "Coney island at Sea" type of ship.

Seriously. I'm genuinely curious about that. :confused:

The Seawalk? That's a nice feature, but not new at all. Princess was about 7 years behind RCI with it. Although it's nicer on Royal Class, Enchantment of the Seas has had that since 2005.

Yes. Royal Caribbean had a canti-levered hot tub.

Princess has a sidewalk.

Yes. Royal Caribbean had a canti-levered hot tub.

Princess has a sidewalk.

That's not what I'm talking about. Enchantment of the Seas has a cantilvered bar and sidewalk on the lido deck that's very similar to Seawalk.

I'm really curious about this post. How can Quantum/Anthem have zero appeal, but Carnival Breeze does appeal to you? Breeze is easily, as you put it, a "bells and whistles thrown at them 24/7" or "Coney island at Sea" type of ship.

Seriously. I'm genuinely curious about that. :confused:

Fair question. First, I like true, two-story dining rooms. Next, the ropes course and waterpark are the only things I really find amusement park-ish on the BREEZE. And while it might not make sense, I simply don't like the way the QUANTUM class ships look.

I realize I am generalizing as I haven't really explored all of the itineraries of both ships being compared but there really is no comparison of the two if you take into consideration their itineraries.

I've casually looked into other mega ships that are loaded with all the bells and whistles and pretty much all of them have terrible itineraries. I told my husband that the only way I would want to cruise on one of those ships is if it was a transatlantic where there are no ports for many days.

That's not what I'm talking about. Enchantment of the Seas has a cantilvered bar and sidewalk on the lido deck that's very similar to Seawalk.

I thought a cantilevered hot-tub, 10 years before princess' sidewalk

made the sidewalk look silly.

Sort of like princess' water 'feature' on Royal. Royal Caribbean

had a similar 'feature' that was a mini-water park for kids.