Jim Berra "Jumps ship"

Tom-n-Cheryl

Looks like the VIFP architect has made a career move.

ARTICLE

I chatted with him a few times regarding the program (before/after) and found him to be friendly and helpful.

It was 3 years ago this month that the new program (which added the Diamond tier and other top-bottom changes) rolled out. Guess we'll all just sit back and see what changes are made, and when -- though I wouldn't hold my breath !

Still waiting to see what they have in store for keeping tabs on point tracking -- the fact that CRUISE DAY POINTS and VIFP POINTS are both listed in our profiles -- yet, thus far, they're the same number. Eventually they'll either do away with the dual approach or add options to bolster the count via partnership agreements or, like virtually ALL other lines do, add in additional credit for those in higher category cabins.

Tom

I saw the announcement today as well. Very interesting, and although I had a very brief conversation with him and he seemed like a good guy, I do have to say I expected so much more....... that being said, this represents at least the second major steal of a top exec from Carnival to Royal. I am not sure how much of it is house cleaning from the new president and how much is greener pastures.

Looks like the VIFP architect has made a career move.

ARTICLE

I chatted with him a few times regarding the program (before/after) and found him to be friendly and helpful.

It was 3 years ago this month that the new program (which added the Diamond tier and other top-bottom changes) rolled out. Guess we'll all just sit back and see what changes are made, and when -- though I wouldn't hold my breath !

Still waiting to see what they have in store for keeping tabs on point tracking -- the fact that CRUISE DAY POINTS and VIFP POINTS are both listed in our profiles -- yet, thus far, they're the same number. Eventually they'll either do away with the dual approach or add options to bolster the count via partnership agreements or, like virtually ALL other lines do, add in additional credit for those in higher category cabins.

Tom

Interesting...indeed!

I don't get this.. personally I think Royal does a much better job at marketing than Carnival ever has. Not sure if that is based soley on the need to advertise or not but there are consistently more Royal ads out there. And the loyalty program... watch out you RCL cruisers...

Personally, I think they should do away with cruise days and award points solely on dollars spent. People that book balconies and suites should reach higher tiers faster than people who book insides all the time.

I book insides when I cruise solo, but now with Carnival I have to pay for the person who isn't there as the 200% supplement is mostly in force.

Your proposal would actually benefit me and other solo cruisers, as we would get credit for paying for that non-existing person.

Personally, I think they should do away with cruise days and award points solely on dollars spent. People that book balconies and suites should reach higher tiers faster than people who book insides all the time.

Cruise days comes closer to the idea of spend more = earn more than the previous program which was based on number of cruises. A 3-day cruise counted the same as an 8-day cruise.

I wouldn't be too excited about this if I were a Royal cruiser. The Carnival program has been gutted of anything of value. Which means there is no need to be loyal to one line.

I seem to remember a time prior to the loyalty program. At least if they had one it was more subdued. It didn't stop the repeat customers when it was and they were a much kinder and happier crowd than the current entitled bunch. I'm all for rewarding loyalty and I have no problem with the perks received, just the attitudes of a few receivers.

Hmmm, does this mean RCCL is looking to be like Carnival?

Wonder if this was "voluntary"......................;)

As far a VIFP as it is, it means nothing for me other then slightly better offers for future sailing, like the one we are going on in Jan.:D

I book insides when I cruise solo, but now with Carnival I have to pay for the person who isn't there as the 200% supplement is mostly in force.

Your proposal would actually benefit me and other solo cruisers, as we would get credit for paying for that non-existing person.

I got double points sailing solo on Princess...also double per person OBC when offered. But I like Carnival's perks better. Nothing's perfect.

I don't get this.. personally I think Royal does a much better job at marketing than Carnival ever has. Not sure if that is based soley on the need to advertise or not but there are consistently more Royal ads out there. And the loyalty program... watch out you RCL cruisers...

Royal just changed their marketing advertising vendor (maybe they were not "wowed"). How much they spend and the return on that is another topic.....

Wow. Several executives have left Carnival in recent months, Ruben Rodriguez, Joni Rein, Mark Tamis, and now Jim Berra.

Some of that is that people moving on due to a new President and house cleaning and some is based upon people leaving for opportunity.

At least! I also wish for more frequent solo rates.

I seem to remember a time prior to the loyalty program. At least if they had one it was more subdued. It didn't stop the repeat customers when it was and they were a much kinder and happier crowd than the current entitled bunch. I'm all for rewarding loyalty and I have no problem with the perks received, just the attitudes of a few receivers.

How does a cruise line control attitudes or anyone with an "entitled" attitude?

I thought Vicky Freed left several years ago??

Vicki joined Royal Caribbean in January 2008. Lets not forget Joanne Schimelman, another exec who followed Vicki to Royal and Edie Bornstein, now Rodriguez, who left Carnival for Azamara and is now president of Crystal.