using two credit cards to pay for cruise

mysaddlebred000

I just talked to my dd and when she first talked to her ta (months ago) she thinks the issue was because they were using their AMEX-plat card and that gives certain dollar obc's and other perks from Princess for certain cabin categories. So, I'm wondering if the AMEX card is the reason and not because she is using two cards. I told she should ask to pay one with the AMEX and the other with their other card but now I am wondering if both have to pay with AMEX.

Anyone use AMEX and try to use another card?

She said she needs to start taking notes - I can't live without my notes!

thanks for any help with this.

I don't know about AMEX, but with many cards you only get the benefits if you pay for the entire fare with one card. For example the United CC from Chase gives you some travel insurance benefits, but only if the entire fare is paid with one card. Would not be surprised if the perks require full fare payment as well.

My daughter and her husband are close to final payment and told their ta that they wanted to pay half with one card and half with the other but the ta said they couldn't do that.

Thought I'd ask here. I'm sure someone has tried to do this.

Can you? Or does the ta have to redo the booking and have two instead of one?

thanks

Nope your TA is wrong; maybe even lazy. I'd question your TA as to why not?? Paid my Golden Princess cruise 1/2 on one CC and the other 1/2 on other cruise with no questions. Some people use one card for their deposit and the balance on another. It's Princess that process the payments as it should be and it should say Princess Cruises on your credit card statement. If it doesn't you need to find a new TA ASAP. If you have any concerns you can call Princess directly. Although they can't discuss your booking payment directly with you; but they can certainly discuss acceptable payment options including split payments.

Edited by COMBOY

Some of you are not reading all the comments. Last night I got a little more out of my daughter and it sounds like the reason is because of the AMEX card perks and not the ta.

I then asked if anyone was able to use a second card when getting the AMEX perks.

I appreciate all the replies.

I searched the Web and the Amex perks do have retrictions. The TA also needs to go to a special website to register the card. From what I read it certainly seems like you need to make the full payment all with the qualifying Amex card to get the OBC and other perks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boy, people are so quick to blame the travel agent! It is no big deal for a TA to do split payments, so it's definitely a good reason why you can't switch cards. If you use AmEx to get OBC etc., you can't switch to Visa and expect the AmEx bennies.

I searched the Web and the Amex perks do have retrictions. The TA also needs to go to a special website to register the card. From what I read it certainly seems like you need to make the full payment all with the qualifying Amex card to get the OBC and other perks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would think you are correct that the fare must be paid with the AMEX.

My SIL is out of the country and he is the one that talked to the ta and that's why I think my daughter is not so sure of what was said. The other card she wants to use is her new Princess visa. They have always used that AMEX for the cruise perks and she said someone told her she could get double points on the Princess card for cruise purchases. Like her old man, she is always looking for a good deal.

I told her to charge the princess air on her visa card.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry, but I am slowly pulling information out of her.

I would think you are correct that the fare must be paid with the AMEX.

My SIL is out of the country and he is the one that talked to the ta and that's why I think my daughter is not so sure of what was said. The other card she wants to use is her new Princess visa. They have always used that AMEX for the cruise perks and she said someone told her she could get double points on the Princess card for cruise purchases. Like her old man, she is always looking for a good deal.

I told her to charge the princess air on her visa card.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry, but I am slowly pulling information out of her.

I agree. I would think that if its an Amex promo that the entire fare has to be charged to the Amex?

Get a new TA. Sounds like he/she is lazy and does not take care of his/her clients. That should not have been a problem.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

... and she said someone told her she could get double points on the Princess card for cruise purchases. Like her old man, she is always looking for a good deal.

I suggest you do some research. Most of the websites that rate credit cards do not consider cruise line credit cards to be a good deal. You can do better than those type cards. For example, my Sam's M/C give me 3% cash back on travel including cruises.

Boy, people are so quick to blame the travel agent! It is no big deal for a TA to do split payments, so it's definitely a good reason why you can't switch cards. If you use AmEx to get OBC etc., you can't switch to Visa and expect the AmEx bennies.

I couldn't agree more. As has (and had) been stated, it's likely an AMEX requirement that, to get the perks, the entire cruise has to be charged to their card. Otherwise, what's to prevent people from charging $1 of their cruise to AMEX and the rest to a different card and claiming the AMEX extras?

But, on CC, a few things are a given:

-It's always the TA's fault (the correlary to this is "it's never the crew's fault");

-the only good TA is the one "I" use; none of the others can get you the (pick one or more) pricing, OBCs, free upgrades, red carpet treatment that "mine" gets "me";

and, just because it's hard to believe this is still a strongly held belief when every camera, phone, e-reader, tablet, laptop and watch uses wifi...

-Cheating, not the proliferation of wifi devices, caused the demise of unlimited internet.

:rolleyes:

I suggest you do some research. Most of the websites that rate credit cards do not consider cruise line credit cards to be a good deal. You can do better than those type cards. For example, my Sam's M/C give me 3% cash back on travel including cruises.

Cash back or a check that must be spent at Sam's Club? We looked into this when it came out last year but we chose not to go that route because we simply don't spend that much at Sam's Club, especially not in one trip (my understanding is that you get one check per year).

Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong because otherwise it's a very nice card.

Cash back or a check that must be spent at Sam's Club? We looked into this when it came out last year but we chose not to go that route because we simply don't spend that much at Sam's Club, especially not in one trip (my understanding is that you get one check per year).

Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong because otherwise it's a very nice card.

Per the web site:

Cash back checks are issued each February for the Cash Back earned during the previous calendar year. Cash back rewards are forfeited if the Sam’s Club MasterCard account is not in good standing, if the Sam’s Club Membership terminates or lapses, or if the Cash Back earned in a calendar year is less than $5.00. Cash back checks will be made payable to Sam’s Club and may be cashed only at a Sam’s Club location.

Looks like you have to cash it at Sam's, but do not have to spend it there.

Then why even have the check made out to Sam's Club? :confused: This is what confused up when we looked into it.

Costco checks are the same way, they must be cashed at a Costco store. The checks are, however, apparently different from Sam's Club in that they are made payable to the member which it appears Sam's Club checks are not.

Tom