Elite level free laundry service question ...

YWW

I believe that the complimentary laundry/cleaning perk has lost much of its luster since I first became elite. In the last 3 or so years, I have seen wait times of over 5 days to get laundry and also seen a lot of items come back with small pin holes or other damage. I had a silk shirt "dry cleaned" that faded out so much, I can no longer wear it. For these reasons, I now often use the laundromat instead. It costs $6 to wash and dry a load which I usually do on a port day where I return early or during early dining hours. The clothes are clean, undamaged and ready to wear again in about 1/1/2 hours.

On one of our cruises in a suite, I sent clothes to the laundry for complementary cleaning, but did not check my robe until we got home where I discovered it had

lots of small holes in the back. Obviously, it was too late to make a complaint.

On one of our cruises in a suite, I sent clothes to the laundry for complementary cleaning, but did not check my robe until we got home where I discovered it had

lots of small holes in the back. Obviously, it was too late to make a complaint.

I have lost two shirts that were scorched beyond repair even though I specified "No hot iron". Even if you discover it in time to lodge a complaint, you will receive very little compensation for ruined items.

Idea for an expanded Elite perk: free laundry also in the self-service laundry rooms. $6 is getting a bit steep, but I would prefer to do my own since I have a lot of stuff I don't like to wash in other than cold water or put into a dryer. That would be a perk that would get me excited.

We'll be Elite in October.:)

Free DIY laundry for Elite? In addition to the standard service, I love this idea as I like to be the master of my own 'fate' (aka 'laundry', in this case). You could get tokens from your room steward.

BTW, I washed a previously washed red polo shirt in the laundromat in cold water, as usual. The water was actually warm and the colour ran. Lesson, I don't rely on the water being really cold, and I don't pack red cotton anything any more.:(

Idea for an expanded Elite perk: free laundry also in the self-service laundry rooms. $6 is getting a bit steep, but I would prefer to do my own since I have a lot of stuff I don't like to wash in other than cold water or put into a dryer. That would be a perk that would get me excited.

I agree 100%. On the Royal Maiden Transatlantic when it was taking days for elite laundry to get done, that is exactly what they did. I went to passenger services and they reimbursed me for the cost of the tokens used in the washer and dryer. I loved it. With the added bonus that my clothes were back and ready to wear while other people were still waiting for theirs.

Hold on to the paper copy of the laundry form that is returned to you until you leave the ship. I do check everything over for damage but often it is not until I wear it that the damage becomes evident. It's easier to report the issue to PSD if you have the copy of the laundry form.

And there will, eventually. be an issue. :(

Is it just me or does anyone else do their undies in the launderette rather than sending them to the ships laundry. No problem with most things but undies are personal! No I'm not ashamed of them.

On the CB last month over 300 elite so had note saying it would take up to 72 hours.

Yes we just do underwear and any other delicate items in the washers in the laundry room. It only takes about an hour and costs about 4-5 dollars. A lot of my stuff is that travel knit material and I dont trust that it wont tumble in a super hot dryer for hours!! Just a personal preference I guess!!

Hold on to the paper copy of the laundry form that is returned to you until you leave the ship. I do check everything over for damage but often it is not until I wear it that the damage becomes evident. It's easier to report the issue to PSD if you have the copy of the laundry form.

And there will, eventually. be an issue. :(

I believe those forms state that you have only 48 hours to report damage. By signing the form and submitting your laundry, it would seem to me that you are agreeing to that condition. However, I am not a lawyer.

Have you been successful in obtaining reimbursement for damaged items after you have returned home? I would appreciate knowing this.

I believe those forms state that you have only 48 hours to report damage. By signing the form and submitting your laundry, it would seem to me that you are agreeing to that condition. However, I am not a lawyer.

Have you been successful in obtaining reimbursement for damaged items after you have returned home? I would appreciate knowing this.

I had an item missing from my laundry. It was a sweater. Yes, I was compensated. I had to document it on the ship and it took a few times to the Passenger Services desk. They had to write a report and then I had to come back and sign the report. A few months later, mysteriously a check showed up with very little documentation on it but it matched the amount I claimed the sweater was worth.

Edited by Coral

I had an item missing from my laundry. It was a sweater. Yes, I was compensated. I had to document it on the ship and it took a few times to the Passenger Services desk. They had to write a report and then I had to come back and sign the report. A few months later, mysteriously a check showed up with very little documentation on it but it matched the amount I claimed the sweater was worth.
I'm glad to hear that people can really get compensation if they report it while they are on the ship. I am wondering whether anyone who reported it after they got home had any luck.

Free DIY laundry for Elite? In addition to the standard service, I love this idea as I like to be the master of my own 'fate' (aka 'laundry', in this case). You could get tokens from your room steward.

If they were to do this (unlikely in my opinion due to great opportunities for abuse by sharing), they could just do what they now do for laundry for elites. Continue to put the charge for tokens on your account and automatically take it off.

If you're taking a B2B and want to send something out the day before or morning of your turn-around day, write In Transit/Elite on your cleaning slip so they know you're just expecting it back within the normal time frame.

We noticed that our cabin steward would do this on ours so now we help out a bit by doing it for him. :)

LuLu

You are eligible for PRESTO, same day service by being in a suite.

Mike:)

Could you show me where it is stated that full suites get same day laundry service? I've sailed in a lot of suites on different Princess ships and never had same day laundry service. I'd like to be able to quote something for our upcoming 28 day LA-Hawaii-Tahiti-LA trip in October.

Thanks.

Yes we agree that those kinds of items are personal and that is why we will still use the laundry and wash our own close. We just turned Elite but will not use the complimentary laundry.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Could you show me where it is stated that full suites get same day laundry service? I've sailed in a lot of suites on different Princess ships and never had same day laundry service. I'd like to be able to quote something for our upcoming 28 day LA-Hawaii-Tahiti-LA trip in October.

Thanks.

No I can only refer you to the list of suite benefits stating "complimentary laundry" which differs from the elite benefits which specifically state "excludes same day service".

We have cruised in many suites with Princess over the years and have never been charged extra for the times we needed to have same day (Presto) service.

Mike:)

I agree 100%. On the Royal Maiden Transatlantic when it was taking days for elite laundry to get done, that is exactly what they did. I went to passenger services and they reimbursed me for the cost of the tokens used in the washer and dryer. I loved it. With the added bonus that my clothes were back and ready to wear while other people were still waiting for theirs.

freetocruise, This is a great idea when elite laundry takes days. What did you show Passenger Service to be reimbursed the cost of your tokens? Did they credit your account or actually give you more tokens.

May have to use this on our upcoming South Pacific cruise, which I know you're on as well, if there's many elites.

Pam

If you're taking a B2B and want to send something out the day before or morning of your turn-around day, write In Transit/Elite on your cleaning slip so they know you're just expecting it back within the normal time frame.

We noticed that our cabin steward would do this on ours so now we help out a bit by doing it for him. :)

LuLu

Thanks for this information. I did not know to do this!

It's good to see that I'm not the only one to have pinholes in their clothes when using the ship's laundry. Some items (DH's undies) have come back looking like swiss cheese. One of his lighter weight material shirts came back with a small hole in it. It wasn't a good day for me, so I took the shirt and a pair of undies down to passenger services to show them. They kept the shirt and said they would have it mended (which they did) but I just kept the undies after they saw the holes. They told me to file a claim under my Homeowner's Policy. Now I won't send anything out but clothes that are made of heavier material or I don't care if they come back shrunk or holey.

I did have a nice new Princess tee shirt come back faded, 3" wider and 3"shorter. Took it to PSD again and showed them an identical shirt to compare. They filled out a form and said a check would be mailed. A day later they called and said they would be crediting my account for $32.

My wait time for having laundry returned ranges from 2 days to 4+. The longer wait was when there were extremely large numbers of Elites on board. I use the self wash laundry for a lot of my clothes so that I can wash in cold water and damp dry. Hang them around the cabin to finish drying. If you are concerned about possible bleeding of colors, try using either Carbona Color Grabber or Shout Color Catcher. They work for me.

I don't feel the Elite perk should include using the self serve laundries for free. The perk is what it is (sending clothes out to be cleaned for free). We are not promised clean clothes at no cost to us; there's a difference.

It's up to us whether to send clothes out or wash them ourselves. We have probably spent $100s doing our own laundry on Princess ships since we've been Elite, simply because we prefer to do it that way, and still think that having that option is the best thing about Princess.

There are paper laundry bags hanging on a hanger in the closet area. You can always ask your steward for more. You fill out the paper with what is in the bag, such as how many socks, undies, t-shirts, blouses, jeans, etc. If you are sending in dry cleaning as well, I would probably use a separate bag. Yes, things are ironed. As for turn-around time, we've never had a problem. We usually hand in the bags in the evening and receive them back the following evening. I've read that if the ship has a large number of Elite passengers the turn-around can be longer. I don't think it's ever been more than 48 hours for us, but I guess it can be as much as 72 hours. They usually leave a note in the cabin warning you. They do charge you and then it is deleted off your shipboard account the following evening.

They don't iron hankys anymore.

I don't feel the Elite perk should include using the self serve laundries for free. The perk is what it is (sending clothes out to be cleaned for free). We are not promised clean clothes at no cost to us; there's a difference.

In general, yes.

But the situation initially described here is when it was taking Princess four, five or more days to return the laundry.