Celebrities, VIPs, Rich and Famous on X

Pipo

We had a chat with Simon Calder on the Eclipse, who often appears on the BBC news whenever there is some sort of air transport related problem going on.

I would never had taken Simon Calder as a cruiser. Was he on board to write an article? I believe he writes for the Independent.

On another occasion, we were sailing out of Singapore on the Solstice where there is a requirement for all passengers to hand in their passports as the authorities won’t let the ship sail until they have seen everyone’s. Despite frequent reminders over the ships’ tannoy we were still waiting for a handful to hand them in 2 hours after we had supposed to have left. At this point the ship decided to name and shame the few remaining passengers. One was Alan Titchmarsh who is a well-known gardener in the UK. We heard later than he was most upset that everyone on the ship knew he was on it! Shame.:p

Well, there was an easy way for him not to have his name announced...

I would never had taken Simon Calder as a cruiser. Was he on board to write an article? I believe he writes for the Independent.

Well, there was an easy way for him not to have his name announced...

As a matter of fact Simon did tell us he was on the ship to do an article. This neing Eclipses' first season in Europe and we were on a three day cruise to Cork and I think there was other (less well known) travel correspondent's on-board.

To be fair to Alan T, apparently he had handed his passport in at the appropriate time but Celebrity had mislaid or misfiled it. That seems likely as I doubt he would withhold it deliberately and rarely came out of his suite after having his name broadcasted round the ship!

A few years ago my wife and I were in Blu and started a conversation with the couple next to us (we do this a lot in Blu). His deep voice sounded very familiar and I finally asked why it was so. He then revealed he was the play-by-play announcer for the last 15 something years for a national league team (do not want to disclose which one).

They were super nice people and it turned out he was long time friends with another league announcer Marty Brenneman who has been with the Reds forever it seems...in our former home town. Our new friend told a number of interesting stories of what travel life is like for his profession and strange situations he encountered. Famous maybe/maybe not but great conversation over dinner!

Tim Gunn was on our Summit cruise this year, but only until the ship sailed. They were filming a commercial, in Luminae, for their upcoming promo for Project Runway.

Haven't seen any celebrities on Celebrity, but have seen lots on Crystal. I have to agree with the poster about Neil Armstrong. Not friendly at all. Buzz Aldrin was also on Crystal and he was downright rude. He was a paid speaker for this cruise, and was hawking his book. Someone approached him right after his talk and asked to have the book autographed, and he turned his back on the person and walked away---said he doesn't do autographs. He refused to speak to anyone who approached him in any part of the ship.

As for others, three of the meanest celebs were Marian Ross (mom on Happy Days), Regis Philbin and his wife, Joy. They were all on board as paid speakers, but they were totally rude to everyone, especially to the crew. Joy Philbin was the worst, treating crew like indentured servants.

I was on a trivia team with YA Tittle and his wife, Minnette. For those who don't know him, he's a former superstar football player. A very lovely couple. Felt sorry for her because they went with us on an overnight shore excursion to Cambodia and she got awful food poisoning and was sick for a week.

Some of the best celebs I've met were Marlin Fitzwater, David Brenner, Debbie Reynolds, Tommy Tune, Marvin Hamlisch (the VERY BEST), and many former Olympians like Bart Conner.

Edited by kitty9

On our Reflection cruise to the Med last October we met a very nice gentleman traveling with his wife and daughter. We had drinks with them in Michael's Club every evening. Towards the end of the cruise the wife casually mentioned her husband's work in the film industry. We later Googled him and it turns out he won an Oscar for "The Right Stuff" and an Emmy for "The Holocaust".

Neil Armstrong was always wary of celebrity and spent as much time as possible out of the public eye. So i'm not entirely surprised they made a special request to be left alone.

Mike Duffy (an infamous Canadian senator) was on Constellation in 2009 I believe. According to his journal (which was made public thanks to his ongoing corruption trial) he really enjoyed the pizza onboard. Can't say I blame him.

Celebrities sometimes are onboard because they are promoting something or giving a seminar.

The really rich and famous charter a yacht or have their own.

I know, but there have been a few stars that have done popular cruises and the story made it to the press, like John Travolta on a Royal Caribbean ship (the one of the sexual assault scandal)...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/john-travolta-sexual-harassment-royal-caribbean-cruise-line-employee_n_1507562.html

If Travolta sails on Royal Caribbean, why not others on Celebrity?

Haven't seen any celebrities on Celebrity, but have seen lots on Crystal. I have to agree with the poster about Neil Armstrong. Not friendly at all. Buzz Aldrin was also on Crystal and he was downright rude. He was a paid speaker for this cruise, and was hawking his book. Someone approached him right after his talk and asked to have the book autographed, and he turned his back on the person and walked away---said he doesn't do autographs. He refused to speak to anyone who approached him in any part of the ship.

We all knew about Armstrong's behavior, but from Aldrin? I wouldn't expect that from him. The one I have on the very highest position is Jim Lovell, hope he is not like the other two.

Was on a 4 day cruise out of LA on a line which is not defunct. Mickey Gilley was entertaining and his table was next to ours. Didn't talk to him. Also on board was Kurt Thomas (Olympic gymnast) who was also part of the entertainment. He did some of his routines.

I have never met a celebrity on Celebrity but I was wondering if anyone knows where to find the episode of "The Nanny" that Fran Drescher and company filmed on The Century. I only found out about it recently and would love to watch it. I think they filmed the episode when The Century was new, around 1996. Thanks!

Try utube

I used to love that show. Especially Mr. Sheffield!! But they all were very funny.

A few years ago my wife and I were in Blu and started a conversation with the couple next to us (we do this a lot in Blu). His deep voice sounded very familiar and I finally asked why it was so. He then revealed he was the play-by-play announcer for the last 15 something years for a national league team (do not want to disclose which one).

They were super nice people and it turned out he was long time friends with another league announcer Marty Brenneman who has been with the Reds forever it seems...in our former home town. Our new friend told a number of interesting stories of what travel life is like for his profession and strange situations he encountered. Famous maybe/maybe not but great conversation over dinner!

Hello. By any chance was this on Silhouette, Transatlantic?

If not, then we too also saw a baseball announcer with the "golden voice" and recognized him by sight but did not engage with him. I imagine very few people would have recgonizd him at all.

We met Amalia on a Med cruise some years ago. During her prime she was marketed as the Elizabeth Taylor of the Philippines. A beautiful lady and excellent actor. Of course her career was exclusively (as far as I know) in the PI and Asia. When we met her she has gone the way of our Liz. A very gracious lady and friendly. She was almost as excited to meet Flora as Flora was to meet her. Flora being Filipino and all plus we were the top cruisers on that cruise. ~ Rick

Closest we've come is a meteorologist from a local Chicago station, who was so famous I can't even remember his name:). He was traveling with his family - even though DH is a weather fanatic we decided to leave the guy alone to enjoy his vacation.

I read on the RCI thread that President Carter and his family sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas last January.

OK, it's not Celebrity but I think he is someone VIP enough to be worth mentioning in this thread.

As reported, he didn't show up very much in the public areas of the ship but appeared at the Captain's table on the last formal night. Of course, he was in a large suite with some agents of the secret service in the adjacent cabins. He used a private gangway entrance and made private excursions.