Cruise report: South America on Celebrity Infinity - March 2015

Miaminice

Hi fellow cruisers,

we love to cruise and we love to share our experiences. Until now we only wrote travel reports in German - some were shared by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Germany already.

On our last cruise we were ecouraged by fabulous guest speaker MickeyLive to also write in English. Well, here´s our first report in English.

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/South-America-01/south-america-01.html

Hope you like it!

Oliver

Oliver,

Your trip report was fantastic! We really enjoyed your photos too.

Jacki

Wow. As someone who enjoys writing detailed trip reports, I see I have a new goal. I started off just wanting to see the photos of an itinerary at (or near) the top of my "to do" list, but I read every word. Well done!

citizen-kane-clapping_zpsc3570d3a.gif

Thank you for a great review. We are on this cruise next January. One quick question about your taxi from the airport. You gave the price in US $. Did you pay in US $ or pesos? Just want to be prepared. Also, what currency did you use in Uruguay? Thanks again.

Thank you for a great review. We are on this cruise next January. One quick question about your taxi from the airport. You gave the price in US $. Did you pay in US $ or pesos? Just want to be prepared. Also, what currency did you use in Uruguay? Thanks again.

Thank you!

We paid in USD - no need to have Pesos at the airport.

Visit the website of Buenostours for more information. I have hardly ever seen a website giving so much useful information besides just advertising their tours.

http://www.buenostours.com/buenos-aires-travel-information

It really helped us to plan our stay!

In Uruguay (Montevideo) we paid with USD cash for the walking tour (tip based) and were able to pay by credit card for lunch at the port market. We even received a discount for paying with Visa.

In Punta del Este USD were also excepted. Tour, McDonald´s... no problem at all.

If you would like to leave you email by clicking on "Comments" on our website, I can send you the list of the tour operators we used.

Oliver

Edited by Miaminice

I hope that Miaminice doesn't mind if I also comment.

We also used American dollars to pay for the taxi from the airport to our hotel. There are some excellent discussions regarding the Argentina currency situation on the South American Cruise Critic forum. While in Buenos Aires for four days prior to our first leg we actually used very little Argentinian currency.

Our B2B2B series meant that we were in Montevideo twice. We again used American dollars. Most, if not all, of the food stalls and restaurants in the wonderful Mercado del Puerto quoted prices in both American dollars and Uruguayan peso. There is also a delightful artist co-op "katty corner" to the Mercado del Puerto, and they accepted American dollars, Argentian pesos and Uruguayan pesos.

And we also used America dollars in Punta del Este.

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am also on this cruise in January. Thinking of using Buenos Tours on the Sunday morning we board to see the San Telmo market and La Boca. Then return to my hotel to pickup luggage and take a taxi to the ship afterward. Are there many antique dealers at San Telmo or mostly newer things? In any case it looks like a must do on Sundays.

Glad I booked penguin tours in three ports in case we miss Punta Arenas or one of the other ports. Just hope it isnt Ushuaia as I am most looking forward to seeing the penguins on Martillo Island.

...Thinking of using Buenos Tours on the Sunday morning we board to see the San Telmo market and La Boca. Then return to my hotel to pickup luggage and take a taxi to the ship afterward. Are there many antique dealers at San Telmo or mostly newer things? In any case it looks like a must do on Sundays.

Glad you liked our review! Allow me to make a suggestion regarding your plan.

You really don´t need Buenostours just to see the market! Use them for a full tour. It is very easy (and safe) to get there (see attached map). You either go/drive to Plaza Dorrego directly or to Plaza de Mayo (Casa Rosada). From there you want to take Defensa Street (yellow line on the map) to Plaza Dorrego. The whole street will be lined with the stands of the vendors. The street will take you straight to Plaza Dorrego (red line on map). The covered market (blue) is also right there. Having a guide there would be a waste of money and a rush. Just take your time and feel the buzz :-) Stroll in your own pace...

After that, pick up your luggage, drive to the ship, check in, do the muster drill... and the day is complete :-)

As you can see in the review, we used Buenostours the day after embarkation day. We organized it on our CC Roll Call. Buenostours was fantastic. We told them what time we wanted to be back on board and they worried about time and adapted the tour as we went... worry free and fantastic!

In also in hindsight we found it was perfect! We would always recommend it to do it this way.

1485531404_feriaSanTelmo.jpg.b57412017af545cef1552dafd33ce62c.jpg

Edited by Miaminice

Again, I really enjoyed your review and photos.

We very much enjoyed our Around the Horn cruise.

It is interesting to see what other people do on the same cruise. We did a little of the same but also different stuff.

It appears that you didn't go to La Boca or the Palermo district in BA.

We didn't go to San Telmo since what our guidebook stated it was somewhat similair to La Boca.

Also, you didn't go to a Tango show. That to us was one of our high points of our visit.

Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

It appears that you didn't go to La Boca or the Palermo district in BA.

We didn't go to San Telmo since what our guidebook stated it was somewhat similair to La Boca.

Also, you didn't go to a Tango show. That to us was one of our high points of our visit.

Hi and thank you!

We were told the same about La Boca and San Telmo... and since we got so wonderfully stuck in San Telmo, we decided to save La Boca for our next visit.

My wife and I rather enjoy a selection and take our time for it than rush to see it all. So we´ll just have to go back...

Tango? OK, alright, you got me, I confess... ;) I don´t like Tango. I don´t like the dance and I don´t like the music... SORRY :( My wife asked me about going to a Tango Show - and I would have, really! But when we were there, the subject did not come up again :rolleyes:

I will read you review and see what others experienced on the same cruise. You are correct - it´s always interesting.

Safe travels!

Oliver

Edited by Miaminice

Miaminice,

Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion. I agree with you that it would be better to go to the market on my own. Normally I would definitely do it this way. If I am in Paris, I go the all the flea markets by myself. But I have never been to Buenos Aires and I am a female traveling alone, so am a little more apprehensive. If I can get friends to accomoany me, I will definitley do it alone. But I do not want to miss La Boca as I am not sure I will be returning to Buenos Aires, and I was thinking a tour guide would be a better way under the circumstances.

I hired a guide in Istanbul to help me navigate the areas where i wanted to go, that were not normal tourist sites and it worked out well because they know places you might not find otherwise. If I have to, I will add a couple of hours to the guide so I can spend more time in San Telmo and La Boca. But thank you for your detailed directions and if I can find someone to go there with me I will definitely go there without a guide, but not by myself in this instance.

But I am planning to take the Recoleta and Cemetary tour with them so maybe they will give me a discount! :D

@ptrpanpens

I know that Buenostours also offer 2-day-tours. If I were you i would organize something on your RollCall.

No need to be apprehensive about walking San Telmo alone during the Sunday market. I have two photos of Defensa Street / Plaza Dorrego below. They should give you an idea. Many people, tourists and locals alike, and thus quite safe. Just watch your bag (as always) or, even better, don´t even carry one.

082-IMG_0428.jpg

083-IMG_0432.jpg

Thanks again Miaminice. I am going to try to arrange tours with the rollcall but not as easy pre cruise as it would have been going from the ship as you did. I must say though, for me it has also been worth it to spend the money for the unique one on one experience I have with just me and the guide. I have done this in several cities and still keep in touch with them and we have become good friends. It is much different than going in even a small group. I want to go to San Telmo on market day not just any day of the week, but I will certainly consider your recommendations. I am a shopper esp for antiques so hard to go without cash. Lol:D

Oliver,

Thank you for the awesome review. We will be doing the same cruise in March 2017. We were thinking about canceling but after reading your review and seeing your photos we are excited. There is no way we are canceling.

Thanks again.

Steve

Loved reading your review and viewing your pictures! We are taking this trip in March of 2017 and reading all of your information here made me even more excited. Thank you!!

Thank you! It's quite a while to go, but we are sure you will love it!

If we can be of any help with information about the tour operators, just leave your email by clicking on comments on our website.

Safe travels!

Oliver

South America Review: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/South-America-01/south-america-01.html

What a great review. My DH has always wanted to do this cruise, me, not so much. After reading this review, I am excited about booking this cruise. Anyone have an idea as to what time of year is best weather wise. I know there are no guarantees.

Thank you Suite Dreams!

We were told that March was a good time... and we can not argue that.

The weather was, as you could see in the review, fine.

However, the tour before going to Antarctica wasn´t so lucky. We were told about bad visibility and snow on the deck...

South America Review: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/South-America-01/south-america-01.html

Hi Oliver,

Thanks from me too on your fantastic review! We're doing a similar itinerary in January, but in reverse. Really looking forward to it now!

I know I'm straying a little, but I'm really curious and hope you will indulge. I also have an older small Panasonic Lumix, a ZS9....love the quality of photos from the Leica lens. But, I can't believe how intense the colours are in your photos. What editing software do you use, if any?

Sam

I know I'm straying a little, but I'm really curious and hope you will indulge. I also have an older small Panasonic Lumix, a ZS9....love the quality of photos from the Leica lens. But, I can't believe how intense the colours are in your photos. What editing software do you use, if any?

Hi Sammy,

thank you for your compliments!

The majority of the photos are taken with my Canon Eos 70D. Only on the first day in BA I used my old Lumix TZ25.

I don´t do much editing on the photos. I use Lightroom (excellent software), mainly just to crop and upright and sometimes correct the exposure. While importing the pix I apply a filter to automatically adjust brightness and intensity - that´s it.

Otherwise I am kind of a purist - I don´t like to adjust colours and other things - and thereby change the way the moment really was.

Lightroom was recommended to me by a photographer we met while having dinner in Rome before a cruise - and I can´t thank him enough for it.

Thanks again!

Oliver