Gratuities

runnerswife

This is from Celebrity's website:

How are gratuities handled onboard?

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

John

If you have a drink package included, the tip is included in the drink package. If you don't have a package, the tip is added on. For example, if a soft drink is $2, then, you will be charged $2.36--$2 for the drink and $0.36 for the 18% tip.

John

Even with. Beverage package, there are some beverages not included, and the 18 % tip will be tacked onto them, things like bottles of wine, mini bar, and room service alcoholic beverages.

Also not included are the gratuities for massage, hairdresser, barber, etc.

We received a $32 credit toward a bottle of wine by trading in the bottle of bubbly that came with our CC room. We purchased a $42 bottle of wine and were charged 42-32 = 10 + 7.46= $17.46 after the credit. I'm wondering about the gratuity when you have a premium drink package and purchase a glass of wine that is more than the $13 max. I know if I have the premium package that I'll only be charged the cost over $13, but do they tack on a gratuity for this drink? If yes, is the gratuity based on the full cost of the drink or based on the difference?

We received a $32 credit toward a bottle of wine by trading in the bottle of bubbly that came with our CC room. We purchased a $42 bottle of wine and were charged 42-32 = 10 + 7.46= $17.46 after the credit. I'm wondering about the gratuity when you have a premium drink package and purchase a glass of wine that is more than the $13 max. I know if I have the premium package that I'll only be charged the cost over $13, but do they tack on a gratuity for this drink? If yes, is the gratuity based on the full cost of the drink or based on the difference?

You pay the gratuity only the the difference; $3 difference you pay $3.54

When you book a cruise that advertises “gratuities included” does that just mean for dining and stateroom -- or does it also include the 18 percent tacked on to drinks?

Gratuities included only includes the daily fixed charge gratuities - see those listed in the second post above by JUHUNTGOLF. This is for the dining, stateroom and some other staff.

It does not include any of the percentage add on gratuities such as drinks or spa services.

Edited by Lsimon

Wait staff ----------------- Some Amount don't care

Blu Management---------- Some Amount don't care

Stateroom People--------- Some Amount don't care

Other Staff---------------- Some Amount don't care

TOTAL -------------------- $ 13.45/day

Kathynorth, when the credit went on your SeaPass account it was just a miscellaneous credit, there's no differentiation that it had been for wine. For all that shows on the record it could have been a refund from shorex or a gift shop.

It was possibly a $27 bottle of wine for which you got the wine + gratuity refund, or perhaps it was a $32 bottle of wine for which no gratuity had ever been applied, but either way it doesn't matter.

You used that credit to buy a bottle of wine, and the gratuity for that purchase was therefore charged on its entire purchase price.

Kathynorth, when the credit went on your SeaPass account it was just a miscellaneous credit, there's no differentiation that it had been for wine. For all that shows on the record it could have been a refund from shorex or a gift shop.

It was possibly a $27 bottle of wine for which you got the wine + gratuity refund, or perhaps it was a $32 bottle of wine for which no gratuity had ever been applied, but either way it doesn't matter.

You used that credit to buy a bottle of wine, and the gratuity for that purchase was therefore charged on its entire purchase price.

Now I see the difference. I was interested in whether gratuity was added to the upcharge and the wine to wine situation had me a bit confused. Fortunately, I have all you CC buddies help me to keep it all straight!

Wait staff ----------------- Some Amount don't care

Blu Management---------- Some Amount don't care

Stateroom People--------- Some Amount don't care

Other Staff---------------- Some Amount don't care

TOTAL -------------------- $ 13.45/day

Thank you so much for the info!. It doesn't make a bit of difference who gets what, I was just curious. Seems to me that a few years ago somewhere it actually listed how the gratuities were split.

Thank you so much for the info!. It doesn't make a bit of difference who gets what, I was just curious. Seems to me that a few years ago somewhere it actually listed how the gratuities were split.

Here's how it used to be split before the increase:

The breakdown of the Automatic Daily Gratuity is as follows:

• Waiter - $3.65 pp/per day
  • Ass't. Waiter - $2.10 pp/per day
  • DR Mgm't. - $1.00 pp/per day

Stateroom Service - Amount varies based on cabin category occupied:

• Suite Butler $3.50 pp/per day (cabin steward ALSO gets $3.50)
  • Aqua Cabin Steward - $4.00 pp/per day
  • Concierge Class Cabin Steward - $4.00 pp/per day
  • Regular Stateroom Cabin Steward - $3.50 pp/per day.

• Other service personnel: $1.25 pp/per day

Celebrity used to list this in their documents, brochures and website but discontinued publishing a breakdown a couple years back.

EDIT: I've found that these are still broken down in the UK brochures you can download from Celebrity's UK web site:

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day

Waiter $3.72

Assistant Waiter $2.16

Dining Room Management $1.16

Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only) $3.50

Stateroom Service $3.58 ($4.08 for Concierge Class

& AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.38

I think I got this right. for sure, the included gratuity includes your room and dining room (wherever).

HOWEVER, IF you have purchased (OR GOT) a drink package -- even the basic classic --AND if you buy/ORDER a drink included in the package . . it may or may not include the tip???

I think I got this right. for sure, the included gratuity includes your room and dining room (wherever).

HOWEVER, IF you have purchased (OR GOT) a drink package -- even the basic classic --AND if you buy/ORDER a drink included in the package . . it may or may not include the tip???

It includes the tip....

Butler tip is included in the regular tips...

Edited by dkjretired

Celebrity used to list this in their documents, brochures and website but discontinued publishing a breakdown a couple years back.

EDIT: I've found that these are still broken down in the UK brochures you can download from Celebrity's UK web site:

Unfortunately, this is the breakdown for the old amount. If you add up the total for a suite, it comes to US$15.50 rather than US$16.45.

So, I decided to spend a spare half hour trawling the Internet for a more up-to-date breakdown without any luck BUT I did find three different breakdowns of the US$15.50.

I find this really annoying. Not coming from the US, we use the basic rate for each type of personnel as a benchmark for deciding what additional tips to give. For those from different tipping cultures and also tipping in a different currency [which does tend to feel unreal, like monopoly money once we have bought it], we do need some help. I have noticed that Celebrity have, in the past, changed the percentage breakdown to different personnel. I do not need to understand why but I do need to know what is currently considered to be the basic gratuity.

Edited by Project_gal