Broadway at sea. Better choices than "Cats"/"Chicago"?

I've read a lot about "Cats" and "Chicago" not being ideal or even necessary. If a Broadway or Broadway-esque show were to be on the high seas, what would you like to see? Though I am not familiar with "Chicago" aside from the movie, I have to say "Cats" does not seem to me to be a very cruise-shippy type experience.

I don't know what it takes to obtain the rights to perform any given play but it seems like there are more that would seem better fits for a cruise-ship vacation and cruisers/people on vacation who want to have a fun time such as "The Who's Tommy", "Jersey Boys", "Wicked", "Victor/Victoria", "The Producers", and "Spamalot" to name just a few.

What big productions would you prefer to see over "Cats" and "Chicago"?

While Cats would not be my first choice (saw it years ago and liked it, but didn't love it), I would LOVE to see Chicago. It is one of my favorite musicals; just love the music.

None of the ones that you mention would have me very excited, but each to their own.

Chicago was awful. Got up and walked out. For a musical at sea, it needs to be fun and happy. This is why we loved hairspray!

Just yesterday, we saw The Wedding Singer. My husband and I both commented on how RCCL should pick this one up. It's funny, lighthearted and happy!

I've read a lot about "Cats" and "Chicago" not being ideal or even necessary. If a Broadway or Broadway-esque show were to be on the high seas, what would you like to see? Though I am not familiar with "Chicago" aside from the movie, I have to say "Cats" does not seem to me to be a very cruise-shippy type experience.

I don't know what it takes to obtain the rights to perform any given play but it seems like there are more that would seem better fits for a cruise-ship vacation and cruisers/people on vacation who want to have a fun time such as "The Who's Tommy", "Jersey Boys", "Wicked", "Victor/Victoria", "The Producers", and "Spamalot" to name just a few.

What big productions would you prefer to see over "Cats" and "Chicago"?

How about the Off-Broadway production "Naked Boys Singing"…that would generate some chatter on this board.:D:eek::eek:

Both CATS and Chicago were hugely successful on land and we thoroughly enjoyed the RCI version on Allure a few years back Will see CATS when we are on Oasis next week and will render our verdict then. However, no matter what shows that may be selected to replace them or to feature on another ship, there will be some who feel the decision was ill-considered while others will applaud the decision. Some may even book or cancel their booking based on the show being staged.:rolleyes:

Ship-friendly shows may be in the eyes of the beholder and what you or I might consider "ship-friendly" or "fun", someone else might consider to be sophomoric. Tastes among the wide range of passengers who sail with Royal Caribbean so it is unlikely that there will ever be universal approval of whatever decision is made.

Arrangements to stage Broadway type productions can be quite involved and while I am sure that RCI may appreciate suggestions, there may be more to it than just picking a show that we think would be popular.

However, no matter what shows that may be selected to replace them or to feature on another ship, there will be some who feel the decision was ill-considered while others will applaud the decision. Some may even book or cancel their booking based on the show being staged.:rolleyes:

Ship-friendly shows may be in the eyes of the beholder and what you or I might consider "ship-friendly" or "fun", someone else might consider to be sophomoric. Tastes among the wide range of passengers who sail with Royal Caribbean so it is unlikely that there will ever be universal approval of whatever decision is made.

Yes, this is precisely why I am asking this question. I am curious to know what people would like to see, be it the shows already being produced or others. If we all had the same taste and all were completely in 100% agreement with the choice of "Cats" and "Chicago" then the point of even asking this question would certainly be moot.

Chicago was awful. Got up and walked out. For a musical at sea, it needs to be fun and happy. This is why we loved hairspray!

Just yesterday, we saw The Wedding Singer. My husband and I both commented on how RCCL should pick this one up. It's funny, lighthearted and happy!

You mean for you it needs to be fun and happy, that is a good opinion but not everyone's opinion. :)

Some of us are fine with the "non-bubbly fluff" types of musicals/shows.

Choosing a Broadway musical for a cruise ship is a balancing act. It has to have a very broad appeal, name recognition, be adult enough, but not oo adult and be cost effective to produce.

Licensing rights for something like this are absurdly expensive, especially w/ recent run shows like Mamma Mia, Hairspray, Chicago, etc. RCCL is charged by the licensing company based on the number of shows a week and the number of seats in the theater. I don't know if there may also be a requirement for a certain number of perfomers to be Equity members.

Many have decried CATS on the Oasis, but let's remember it is still the #1 grossing musical in the World with the third longest run on Broadway (behind Phantom of the Opera and Chicago). The show just enjoyed a sold out revival in the West End starring Nicole Sherzinger and is planned for a transfer to Broadway with her as well. Touring productions are still playing all over the world as well, so there definitely is an audience.

Most people here don't seem to understand that CATS, is more a series of vignettes about different types of cats and is strung together with a loose narrative. Most of the songs are really quite good, and from what I hear RCCL has given this show a first rate production.

Choosing a Broadway musical for a cruise ship is a balancing act. It has to have a very broad appeal, name recognition, be adult enough, but not oo adult and be cost effective to produce.

Licensing rights for something like this are absurdly expensive, especially w/ recent run shows like Mamma Mia, Hairspray, Chicago, etc. RCCL is charged by the licensing company based on the number of shows a week and the number of seats in the theater. I don't know if there may also be a requirement for a certain number of perfomers to be Equity members.

Many have decried CATS on the Oasis, but let's remember it is still the #1 grossing musical in the World with the third longest run on Broadway (behind Phantom of the Opera and Chicago). The show just enjoyed a sold out revival in the West End starring Nicole Sherzinger and is planned for a transfer to Broadway with her as well. Touring productions are still playing all over the world as well, so there definitely is an audience.

Most people here don't seem to understand that CATS, is more a series of vignettes about different types of cats and is strung together with a loose narrative. Most of the songs are really quite good, and from what I hear RCCL has given this show a first rate production.

I saw Cats on Oasis in January and I thought it was excellent. Also saw Chicago on Allure a couple years ago, again excellent. But that's just me. :p

Book of Mormon

A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

Spamalot

The Producers

or there's always

Les Miseables

or how about

Warhorse

Equus

for those who think CATS! is dark!

the cream of the crop of current musicals is Wicked, but there's no way they can license it.

As stated, CATS! Is one of the most successful musicals in history, so clearly there's an audience.

It's going to be hard and even impossible to please everyone. However I agree that Cats is not the most exciting musical. Even if performed great, many people will get bored.

I don't think Chicago is currently playing on any RCL ship (Mamma Mia has replaced it on Allure), but I also agree it's not the best selection. RCL ships are family friendly, but Chicago is not.

I think Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You are great selections....and I think Hairspray used to be on one of their ships, also a great one.

There is also a consideration of the set, etc not being too elaborate or complicated.

Other good ones...Jersey Boys (personally not my favorite), The Producers, Grease, Beauty and the Beast, Fiddler on the Roof.

PS - Even with Cats and Chicago selections not being the best, I think it's great how RCL has introduced real production shows.

Edited by LuCruise

I think that Cats on Oasis would be more successful if they simply handed out a Playbill or something along those lines. DH and I had never seen the play before we saw it on Oasis. I had read that the plot is difficult to follow, especially in the first act. So I downloaded the plot synopsis and we read it while waiting for the show to start. I am so glad that we did that, as I think we would have been lost if we hadn't.

So many people are leaving at intermission, not because it is poor quality performance, but because they are lost in the plot. Just my opinion, but I really feel that it could be easily solved.

Second time we saw Cats, it was much more enjoyable for us since we were familiar with the plot.

I think that Cats on Oasis would be more successful if they simply handed out a Playbill or something along those lines. DH and I had never seen the play before we saw it on Oasis. I had read that the plot is difficult to follow, especially in the first act. So I downloaded the plot synopsis and we read it while waiting for the show to start. I am so glad that we did that, as I think we would have been lost if we hadn't.

So many people are leaving at intermission, not because it is poor quality performance, but because they are lost in the plot. Just my opinion, but I really feel that it could be easily solved.

Second time we saw Cats, it was much more enjoyable for us since we were familiar with the plot.

Thing is, there really is no plot. At least not in the traditional sense. So if you're expecting a beginning, middle, and end, it's sort of there (the Jellicle Cats intro, Memory, and the journey to the heavy side layer), but you really have to look. Which is part of what made the show unique in 1981...

And, it doesn't help that the plot is in the almost whispered intro...

Edited by markeb