Another "Bringing wine aboard" question

dakrewser

I thought the $18 included a service charge- or at least that was what I was told.

As it happens, I did tip the guys in the MDR some extra because they were so good.

It does. We've always had very good wine service, so I like to tip a little extra.

You may be right- and as I say, I didn't face the problem- but I would certainly argue the point with them. Corkage was introduced to compensate for their loss of mark up on wines they sell for consumption onboard. The key word here is 'consumption' and it is one usually used in the terms and conditions. But if the 'brought on' wine isn't consumed because it is off, I struggle to see how a corkage fee could be justified.

It isn't HAL's fault if you either bought a bad bottle or mis-handled a good one, is it? The corkage charge is for the "privilege" of bringing a bottle aboard, noy a guarantee of its quality (which HAL has no control over).

It isn't HAL's fault if you either bought a bad bottle or mis-handled a good one, is it? The corkage charge is for the "privilege" of bringing a bottle aboard, noy a guarantee of its quality (which HAL has no control over).

Corkage fees are intended to offset the loss of revenue by a restaurant or ship when a patron chooses to bring his own wine instead of making a purchase from the establishment's wine cellar. If the wine is spoiled and not consumed, there is no loss of revenue and the corkage fee should be reimbursed.

Corkage fees are intended to offset the loss of revenue by a restaurant or ship when a patron chooses to bring his own wine instead of making a purchase from the establishment's wine cellar. If the wine is spoiled and not consumed, there is no loss of revenue and the corkage fee should be reimbursed.

No, a corkage fee is to offset the sommelier's time, cleaning of glasses, disposal of the empty, etc. It covers the overhead of serving the wine. And all of those expenses are incurred whether or not you drink the wine.

Couldn't disagree more. The corked wine issue is entirely on me. If the ship provides glasses, opens the wine, pours the wine, and it's corked - there's no way I would consider them to have failed us. You do bring up an interesting point. How about $22 corkage with insurance. The ship refunds your money, caps your wine, and gives you a note so that you can ask the wine shop for a replacement bottle.

Edited by POA1

Point taken re: corkage fee=services provided (overhead).

Leftover unopened wine?? Appalling! ;-)

We too add a personal tip to the wine steward if good (e.g. knowledgeable & attentive--not always the case). Fortunate last time to have the sommelier, a Court Master attend us every night, his choice...

No, a corkage fee is to offset the sommelier's time, cleaning of glasses, disposal of the empty, etc. It covers the overhead of serving the wine. And all of those expenses are incurred whether or not you drink the wine.

Couldn't disagree more. The corked wine issue is entirely on me. If the ship provides glasses, opens the wine, pours the wine, and it's corked - there's no way I would consider them to have failed us. You do bring up an interesting point. How about $22 corkage with insurance. The ship refunds your money, caps your wine, and gives you a note so that you can ask the wine shop for a replacement bottle.

We may have to agree to disagree here. For years there were a few restaurants in Montreal, primarily very small and ethnic in nature, that allowed patrons to bring their own wine long before it became a common practise elsewhere in Canada. I can't speak for the US. Corkage fees varied, but in my discussions with the owners, it was quite clear that it was a revenue off-set for them. The only time we had a corked wine - this was long before screw caps or plastic "corks" - there was a look of puzzlement on the owner's face when I offered to pay the fee.

Where we may be viewing this from a different perspective is I'm assuming that the patron is purchasing a bottle of the restaurant's wine when the carry-in bottle isn't drinkable. Should that not be the case, then I agree that the corkage fee should remain in place. :)

We may have to agree to disagree here.

No harm. No foul. I understand your position. I don't agree.

Remember when this was normal discourse? Now it's all Hashtag #P1$sed0ff

Where we may be viewing this from a different perspective is I'm assuming that the patron is purchasing a bottle of the restaurant's wine when the carry-in bottle isn't drinkable. Should that not be the case, then I agree that the corkage fee should remain in place. :)

Ah, perspective - remember when a discussion allowed for different perspectives?

Re corked wines that you have brought on board, although it never happened to me, I would have assumed and expected to be have been re-imbursed the corkage charge, if the wine was off.

In reality, what would happen with a corked wine is that you would have to buy another bottle, probably from their list, so they would then make their mark up anyway. It would be very sharp practice to effectively charge two marks ups for one (drinkable) consumed bottle.

My incident happened before the current policy of charging corkage when you board. I don't recall whether they refunded the corkage for the bad bottle I brought to the Pinnacle (I would have been prepared to pay it) and we did replace it with a bottle purchased from HAL.

Does anyone have any tips how to do this to prevent breaking?

If you mean you want to pack your wine bottle in your checked luggage, than you need to pack it very carefully.

If I pack a bottle of wine I place a disposable baby diaper around the bottle and place it all into a ziplock bag that I can seal.

Then I wrap the bag in a sheet of bubble wrap and place it in the centre of the suitcase.

When TSA inspects bags they will also move it around, but none of ours have broken yet.

I have never had a bottle break on me yet. Magellans has some great bottle packers that I have fallen in love with. the re-usable ones work well and are worth the $ if you plan on doing it more than once ;)

Particularly for those who say that your favorite vintage, or a rare old wine, isn't offered on the wine list.

HAL wants the wine in your carry-on.

TSA forbids a bottle of wine in your carry-on.

Do you switch the bottle(s) from checked baggage to carry-on in the airport? Outside the cruise terminal? Or just wait and go to the "naughty room" once aboard?

You forgot another alternative -- switch it in your hotel room the night before the cruise.

I read that you pay corkage even if you drink it in your room, $15.00 per bottle

It's $18 per bottle, and yes, you pay corkage for every bottle after the one allowed, regardless of where you drink it.

Every bottle consumed in a public area, even the one allowed without corkage, incurs a corkage charge if consumed in a public venue.

I read that you pay corkage even if you drink it in your room, $15.00 per bottle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's $18 beyond the one free bottle per adult. The corkage free bottle needs to be consumed in your stateroom. Otherwise, you pay the corkage.

Corkage was $16 in 2012. It might have been $15 in 2009, but I don't recall precisely.

It's $18 per bottle, and yes, you pay corkage for every bottle after the one allowed, regardless of where you drink it.

Every bottle consumed in a public area, even the one allowed without corkage, incurs a corkage charge if consumed in a public venue.

Sorry Ruth. Didn’t see your reply before I posted.