Cruising Solo

jdyer09

Hey everyone, after many personal events in my life, I am debating taking a solo cruise for a few days for the first time ever. Thinking the Ecstasy to Key West and Cozumel for 4 days, or 5 days to Dominican and Grand Turk. KW and Coz are familiar ports. As a 30yof Im looking to dive in both ports, and just relax for a bit?

Any advice for a weary first time single cruiser? Thanks!

I cruise solo sometimes and have done the Key West/ Cozumel a few times. Click on my reviews in my signature. Mostly, on the earlier IMAGINATION cruises and also one on the RCI:MONARCH of the SEAS which was purged since they sold the ship

Edited by wiskt

I cruise solo about 75% of the time, and enjoy it immensely. I usually have no problems with dining since I'm a guy - no one questions why I'm solo. I do what I want, enjoy what I want to enjoy. I get involved or stay by myself depending on the day, my attitude and the weather.

I can feel happy, joyous and free, without being singled out.

There's much more discussion about sailing solo in threads under the special interests grouping.

Edited by evandbob

Hey everyone, after many personal events in my life, I am debating taking a solo cruise for a few days for the first time ever. Thinking the Ecstasy to Key West and Cozumel for 4 days, or 5 days to Dominican and Grand Turk. KW and Coz are familiar ports. As a 30yof Im looking to dive in both ports, and just relax for a bit?

Any advice for a weary first time single cruiser? Thanks!

A solo cruiser is different than a single cruiser. In your case, according to past posts, you are choosing solo. You'll enjoy getting away and doing what you want and when you want for a few days. Ecstasy is a favorite ship for many of us.

Thank you everyone. Yes, solo, not single. Sorry for the mix up. It seems a bit intimidating since Im not a very outgoing person as far as chatting up strangers! Im comfortable cruising and being such a short cruise, it may be the best way to get my feet wet solo cruising.

My very first cruise was solo; I honestly don't remember why I chose to go alone, but I had a great time. I can see myself booking solo again one day. Right now I have plenty of people in my family that enjoy cruising so I probably wouldn't do it just because of the current cost as a solo cruiser. My parents used to travel alone at times because my dad didn't always go to Europe to visit my mom's family and mom didn't always go fishing at the bay. We enjoyed other trips together that were local; amusement parts, camping at the lake are a couple examples. I think solo cruisers will become much more common as the population ages and people have more time.

I'd do the 5 day. Solo is so much fun!!! You can do whatever you want with no restrictions.

MDR is the only issue. I've been seated with great solo tables, lousy mixed groups, eaten solo which wasn't bad at all with a book. Did anytime which was hit or miss.

I only wish there were more solo offers.

Thank you everyone. Yes, solo, not single. Sorry for the mix up. It seems a bit intimidating since Im not a very outgoing person as far as chatting up strangers! Im comfortable cruising and being such a short cruise, it may be the best way to get my feet wet solo cruising.

Outgoing is not a necessity. You are getting away. I still prefer the buffet for meals, but that's just me. (except elegant night). I've cruised solo enough that I'm not sure I even want to share a cabin again. The odd time is not sharing the daily events with someone.

If you just want to go diving I would not do a cruise. Either do a "live aboard" down in the Caribbean or go to one of the all inclusive dive resorts. I say this as someone who is a diver (though I have not been in a couple years sadly) and will only use my own dive gear. I would never rent gear, my life depends on it working properly.

I am a 24yo female who just did a solo on splendor (8 day) on Memorial Day. I had the time of my life! Carnival does a great job putting solos together at dinner so make sure you go the first night. I would personally choose late dining. From my experience and what I've read on here more solos go with late dining. They sat me at an 8 (10? I can't remember our table wasn't full) top with three guys each sailing solo who were all in their 40s and a dating couple around my age. I hung out with the three guys every night on the ship and we did things together in 2 of our 4 ports (I had excursions preplanned for the other 2). I have never laughed so much in my life.. In fact I'm going on the 11 day Dream in Oct. with one of the guys. Also met 2 sets of two friends in the hot tub at sail away and we keep in touch on Facebook.

I'm not super outgoing when it comes to talking to strangers but on the cruise it just seems like everyone is so friendly. You will talk and meet so many more people, and it'll be a lot easier than you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In May, I went on my first solo cruise......and it was 7 days. It was the best cruise by far. I was able to do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it, and how I wanted to do it.

I am no social butterfly.....but I met some amazing people and developed friendships that will be lifelong.

Enjoy your cruise...and if you have nothing planned...that's just fine.

It will truly be up to you:).

Thank you. I think im going to bite the bullet and go for it. Why not? Worst comes to worst, its only 4 or 5 days right? I think id regret not going more! Thank you for the reassurance and the advice. MDR is one of the things that makes me nervous. I dont even like eating by myself in public at home! Silly!

Thank you again, perhaps, Ill do a solo review. Who knows? :D

I too, cruise SOLO quite often, as does my wife! ;) We have a little business, and it's difficult for both of us to leave at the same time. We both enjoy our cruises tremendously, and I can tell you that 99% of the time, Carnival does a Fantastic job of choosing your dining partners. They almost always seat the SOLO cruisers at the same BIG table, and that makes the dining experience very pleasant. GO FOR IT, and I know you'll enjoy your cruise. (I've sailed "Ecstasy" a number of times, and always enjoy the Ecstasy cruises.)

"SKY"

I'm single and mostly sail solo. I'm considerably older than the OP, but I really love solo cruises.

I just read a good online article about how everyone should try solo travel.

You're on your own schedule and don't have to worry about doing what your travel companion wants. I love not having to compromise! :p

But, really, for me one of the best aspects of solo travel is that you can really watch the world around you. You aren't spending all your time conversing with your travel mates. I also find that I talk to many more locals with I'm solo. That gives you even more insight into the wide world you're visiting.

While it's nice to share experiences with others, it's also very nice to sit back and observe the world. You'll notice things you wouldn't if you were with someone.

Sometimes I dine with others; sometimes I dine alone. Last cruise, I sat at a 2-top by myself (at age 62 I just got braces and didn't want to subject tablemates to my eating difficulties). A table of mixed solos by me invited me over every single night even though I politely declined the first night (and explained why and that I'd requested to dine alone).

Solo doesn't mean you're a pitiful, lonely person!

But it also means you can let loose! People seem really surprised when I tell them I'm shy and introverted because I'm much more outgoing when I sail.

But that's part of the allure of solo travel. You can be as quiet and remote as you like or you can talk to strangers and get out there on the dance floor by yourself and not worry about embarrassing your friends. ;)

I'm always very active in my Roll Calls and often team up with others to do independent excursions.

Do it! It's so very liberating! :D

Thank you. I think im going to bite the bullet and go for it. Why not? Worst comes to worst, its only 4 or 5 days right? I think id regret not going more! Thank you for the reassurance and the advice. MDR is one of the things that makes me nervous. I dont even like eating by myself in public at home! Silly!

Thank you again, perhaps, Ill do a solo review. Who knows? :D

I have sailed twice solo - the first time, like you, I just needed to get away and went on a 4 day. I did an interior because of the whole double supplement thing. I enjoyed it, but I never ate in the MDR - I'm not exactly shy, but just didn't feel comfortable. Instead at night I'd make my plate at the buffet & take it back to my cabin & eat and at lunch or breakfast, I'd either be reading my book while I ate or again I'd take it back to the cabin. That worked out well for me.

The second time I did a B2B - the first leg (6 day on the Breeze) I was solo and then the second leg (8 day) my sister & daughter joined me. This time I was in a balcony and I have to tell you, it made all the difference. I'd go grab breakfast in the morning & take it to my balcony and did the same for lunch & dinner. Also, I loved the Breeze and I would check out all the things I would do when my family joined me. I got a really great deal so I could afford to do the balcony w/ the supplement.

If you can afford it - spring for a balcony. Both times were nice - but the 2nd time was great. I loved sitting out on the balcony, reading my book and just chilling.

I'm married with 1 high schooler. 2 college kids and a recent grad school kid who lives out of state

We all love travel and cruises especially

I have recently taken to January cruising with the college kids leaving dh home with the hs kid

I too am intrigued with solo cruising because I am getting tired of all the scheduling issues

Sports school jobs etc etc

Someone usually is available to join me..... But I'm thinking a solo cruise is in my future!!!!

Heck I went to Tahiti Mexico Bahamas in my mid twenties without even flinching as a matter of fact I never even threw it out there to my friends to join me. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums