virus on celebrity equinox

Mratner

Coincidentally, on our last cruise on Equinox (2 winters ago), boarding was delayed 4 hours as the ship came into port with an outbreak of Norovirus. There were signs posted all about the terminal telling everyone about the outbreak with suggestions on personal cleanliness. I happened to use the terminal rest room while waiting, despite the signs on handwashing etc., I noted that the rest room had NO hot water nor paper towels. Oh well, enough for them following their own advice. Without namimg the port yes, this was in the lower 48. Luckily I had the ten or so different types of recommended disinfectant I bought in my hand luggage that I could use.

Bottom line-as others have pointed out, no self-service in the buffet for the first few days (actually much better way to serve), and no bread, butter, salt, etc, on the dining room tables for a few days. On the third day we got the all clear.

I try to never touch the railings nor touch the elevator buttons if I can regardless of the current state of the sanitary conditions on the ship.

We are on the Aug 24th sailing on the Equinox, hopefully all is well by then.

SAS

Edited by cruiseri

I try to never touch the railings nor touch the elevator buttons if I can regardless of the current state of the sanitary conditions on the ship.

SAS

If no one is on to press the button for me, I always use my elbow. I'm much less likely to touch my eyes, mouth or nose with my elbow! Another habit I have whether on a cruise ship or elsewhere, If there is a handle to open a door, I always try to grab it from the top or bottom instead of the middle. My logic is that most people grab it right in the middle, so there are probably less germs at the top or bottom.....

Our 2/13/15 Equinox cruise encountered Noro about halfway thru the 10-day cruise and the last 4 days were inconvenient for passengers but a real pain for employees. They took books and everything our of cabins, no salt or condiments on tables, no self-serve on anything. They did a great job of containing it but I know the next cruise did not leave until about 8:00pm due to cleaning.

Not until right before dinner. And it was our first time with the beverage package (pre-123 go) days -- I think we got our money's worth waiting to get to our cabins! :eek:

My plan too. :p. Did they close the pools? That must be a major risk?

Make sure you eat something! Not sure about the pools - can't remember. It was pretty late in the year for us, so we didn't use the outdoor pool.

Make sure you eat something! Not sure about the pools - can't remember. It was pretty late in the year for us, so we didn't use the outdoor pool.

The buffet is open then? We will need the pools - it is a 13 night med cruise in the middle of summer.

According to the CDC in Atlanta the virus can get into the food supply. I would stay away from salads until you get the all clear. I would hope Celebrity would dump any thing that might be contaminated.

The really bad one I was on, they did not close the pools. As a matter of fact, the captain came onto the loudspeaker pleading with people to wash their hands while we were at the pool.

How does handwashing prevent spread then if only a couple of products will kill it?

I happened to have worked with infection control in a hospital for a number of years and the big push is towards proper hand hygiene. Hand washing is the most effective means of hand hygiene as the germs are washed away....the soap doesn't have to kill it.

I happened to have worked with infection control in a hospital for a number of years and the big push is towards proper hand hygiene. Hand washing is the most effective means of hand hygiene as the germs are washed away....the soap doesn't have to kill it.

That makes a lot of sense.

A while back someone on this board recommended products that contain

benzalkonium. (sp?) to kill noro? It is different than purell.

I received some from a friend in Canada, as you supposedly could not purchase it in the US.

Must say I'm very worried about this. We join the Equinox in 3 weeks time and my husband is on immune suppressant injections due to a bad skin condition, which leaves him very vulnerable if he catches anything. It's good to hear that Celebrity takes outbreaks so seriously, but worrying all the same. I hope all those on the current sailing are able to still enjoy their cruise.:(

I agree. Sad to say I saw a lady come out a the toilet cubicle, by-pass the wash hand basins, grabbed the door handle and exited. This was in a hospital!!

Can you recall if the taps in the cloakrooms on Celebrity have sensors/have paddle type handles or are just twist and turn? Twist and turn are not hygienic at all and I always use issue to turn them off (after having washed my hands) and to touch the door handle.

Excellent advice.

If my parents were still around - the best doctor and the best nurse in the world - they'd offer this advice:

1. While washing your hands, hum "Happy birthday" to yourself in your head - twice. Mom actually taught nursing before she retired, and this was one of her constant themes she drove into her students. Particularly the "in your head" part - she told them that if they sang it out loud, people would talk. :p
  2. If possible, after washing your hands grab a clean paper towel and use it to turn off the faucets.
  3. When possible, push elevator buttons with your knuckle.
  4. If you are in an environment where people are sick, the only body part of yours that you should put into your mouth or your eyes is your elbows. (think about it :D)

--bruce T.

Im sure you will be fine. This is strictly preventive. Have not heard of anyone being ill on the current cruise. Lucky its 13 nights and not 7. Hope for lifting tonight and will update you.

Thank you, really appreciate any updates. I hope you are having a lovely time in spite of the restrictions.

I agree. Sad to say I saw a lady come out a the toilet cubicle, by-pass the wash hand basins, grabbed the door handle and exited. This was in a hospital!!

Can you recall if the taps in the cloakrooms on Celebrity have sensors/have paddle type handles or are just twist and turn? Twist and turn are not hygienic at all and I always use issue to turn them off (after having washed my hands) and to touch the door handle.

They have handles. Noticed last day of previous Equinox cruise that the door of the ladies restroom by the Oceanview was held open -- good to avoid contact. Must say, I thought the standard of cleanliness was very high.

Excellent advice.

If my parents were still around - the best doctor and the best nurse in the world - they'd offer this advice:

1. While washing your hands, hum "Happy birthday" to yourself in your head - twice. Mom actually taught nursing before she retired, and this was one of her constant themes she drove into her students. Particularly the "in your head" part - she told them that if they sang it out loud, people would talk. :p
  2. If possible, after washing your hands grab a clean paper towel and use it to turn off the faucets.
  4. If you are in an environment where people are sick, the only body part of yours that you should put into your mouth or your eyes is your elbows. (think about it :D)

--bruce T.

Had to smile at last item.

For information, we had a very challenging tendering operation in Ibiza, the second last day of the previous Equinox cruise. The staff captain was literally very hands on, assisting passengers on and off the tenders.

I noticed that in between each tender he applied sanitizer not only to hands but forearms as well!

Had to smile at last item.

For information, we had a very challenging tendering operation in Ibiza, the second last day of the previous Equinox cruise. The staff captain was literally very hands on, assisting passengers on and off the tenders.

I noticed that in between each tender he applied sanitizer not only to hands but forearms as well!

I have to add the whole X senior team did an amazing job in Ibiza, given the sea conditions for tendering. A lot of crew got off to the tender station (on land) which was way out of contact signal with the ship and were having to relay messages to and from the ship with updates on numbers, conditions and any safety concerns.

The operation was a success and only a slight delay departing from Ibiza.

I couldn't believe just how much moaning was taking place in the line, yes it was between 1 - 2 hour wait, but you wouldn have certainly been moaning if you were injured during tendering.

I remember getting a helping hand from the Hotel Director with my step from the tender boat to the ship platform. The Head of the Hotel operation for the ship helping people back onto the ship and on the front line, true dedication.

Celebrity can't control the sea conditions, nor did they have any control of the storm that hit the town of Civi' on embarkation day and wiped out the electric across the WHOLE TOWN.

To actually hear "can't you take the electric from the ship?" i was just astounded.

This cruise was truly amazing, I met so great people, some from previous cruises and some coming with us on a future one (RF TA)

The crew were all outstanding and we were looked after tremendously as per norm.

As for the GI bug, it was a very small % of the 3128 passengers on board and in order to quickly contain it the "deep clean" operation was ordered for Barcelona.

Those getting on at BCN really have nothing to worry about.

Excellent advice.

--bruce T.

Love it! Those suggestions continue to be passed along. Ive been a nurse for over 38 years and you become a little (or a lot!) OCD about hand washing and sanitizing. My DD said she is getting me a giant container of hand sanitizer for Christmas as I get a little panicky if I cant find my little bottle in my purse.:rolleyes

Just checked, some Purell does have it. I have a bottle of Purell Advanced and it says it "kills Norovirus, E. Coli, Staph". Just gotta get the right kind.

I have searched (in CA) for the Purell you are talking about. The advanced here does not say "kills noro, e. coli or staph". does anyone know if it can be purchased in CA.?

I was on the 7/25 sailing (the one prior to OP). My parents developed GI symptoms 3 days into the cruise; I developed GI symptoms the in Mallorca. I remember this fondly because the rough seas did not help my condition. In all, 3 of our party had symptoms. My parents had eaten a lot of cherries at lunch that day and they felt they might be the culprit, though of course there was no way to be sure. I hadn't had any cherries.

One thing - 2 bathrooms in our party were not flushing consistently on 4 of the 7 days. You can imagine how well GI symptoms go with non flushing toilets. Apparently an entire line was not working, affecting many cabins. Several of us had to use public bathrooms - very sanitary, I know. But I digress.

Our headwaiter told us in Ibiza that they were at level 3 which meant that over 2% of passengers and crew had symptoms. No self serve at buffet, and scheduled shore leaves for the crew were cancelled to double up at buffet stations and clean. Our cabin attendants looked exhausted.

Upon disembarkation, we were asked to indicate if anyone had been sick in our cabins. I assume this was a way to prioritize which cabins to clean first or most aggressively?

Finally - extended disembarkation was cancelled. Guests could pay to use facilities and eat at limited restaurants until afternoon. Unfortunately some guests who had paid for the service didn't find out until the day of disembarkation. Several were scrambling, looking for afternoon activities before their flights.

I was on the 7/25 sailing (the one prior to OP). My parents developed GI symptoms 3 days into the cruise; I developed GI symptoms the in Mallorca. I remember this fondly because the rough seas did not help my condition. In all, 3 of our party had symptoms. My parents had eaten a lot of cherries at lunch that day and they felt they might be the culprit, though of course there was no way to be sure. I hadn't had any cherries.

One thing - 2 bathrooms in our party were not flushing consistently on 4 of the 7 days. You can imagine how well GI symptoms go with non flushing toilets. Apparently an entire line was not working, affecting many cabins. Several of us had to use public bathrooms - very sanitary, I know. But I digress.

Our headwaiter told us in Ibiza that they were at level 3 which meant that over 2% of passengers and crew had symptoms. No self serve at buffet, and scheduled shore leaves for the crew were cancelled to double up at buffet stations and clean. Our cabin attendants looked exhausted.

Upon disembarkation, we were asked to indicate if anyone had been sick in our cabins. I assume this was a way to prioritize which cabins to clean first or most aggressively?

Finally - extended disembarkation was cancelled. Guests could pay to use facilities and eat at limited restaurants until afternoon. Unfortunately some guests who had paid for the service didn't find out until the day of disembarkation. Several were scrambling, looking for afternoon activities before their flights.

Oh dear, sorry to hear you experienced these symptoms on your cruise. It sounds like the bathroom situation did not help matters. On which deck was the line not working? As you say, if pax with GI were having to use the public toilets, then this would have exacerbated the situation.

Oh dear, sorry to hear you experienced these symptoms on your cruise. It sounds like the bathroom situation did not help matters. On which deck was the line not working? As you say, if pax with GI were having to use the public toilets, then this would have exacerbated the situation.

Also curious which deck? For information, we were on deck 6 port side, midships. Thankfully party of 4 in two cabins were ok but we all noticed difficulty with toilets flushing. Also noted engineer working on system in this section mid week.

Agree that officers and crew were visibly working very hard to contain any infection.

(Jenny, I'll email directly with more)