virus on celebrity equinox

Mratner

Folks ,Boots are a UK company but is owned by Walgreen in States they may be a source

logo

Boots Anti Viral Hand Foam (50ml)

Add

Product description

Boots Pharmaceuticals Anti Viral Hand Foam provides fast acting anti viral and antibacterial protection without the need for soap and water.

Boots Pharmaceuticals Anti Viral Hand Foam:

Clean hands and immediately kill viruses and harmful bacteria.

Kills 99.9% of a wide range of viruses and harmful bacteria.

Provides long lasting anti microbial performance.

Its residual effect means that it will continue to work for up to 6 hours after being applied to the skin.

Boots Pharmaceuticals Anti Viral Hand Foam is alcohol free so won't dry out your skin or leave a sticky residue.

No water required.

For use both at home and when on the go.

Certified to European Standard EN1500 hand rub test.

How to Use

Always read the product information before use.

Apply 1 to 2 pumps onto dry hands and rub well together.

Repeat as necessary.

Do not rinse off.

Suitable For

Suitable for adults and children over the age of 2.

Ingredients

Active Ingredients:

Polyaminopropyl biguanide hydrochloride (0.15% w/w), Didecyldimonium chloride (0.09% w/w), Benzalkonium chloride (0.05% w/w)

Other Ingredients:

Aqua, Caprylyl/capryl glucoside, Dimethicone.

Delivery info

Reviews (5)

Share this product

While I think the charter does do fair amount of business with RCL, next year they have two on Celebrity, one on RCL, I think Celebrity's main goal on your cruise is containing the virus regardless of whether the sailing is a charter or not. Unfortunately as this is not a US sailing, they have no obligation to report numbers to the CDC if it hits a certain threshold or having to have the ship examined by an inspector. I am sure Celebrity wants to keep the information out there regarding this issue to a minimum.

I think it's a very good sign that you don't see people walking around looking sick, as that would be the last thing I would want to see if I were on a code red ship. I also don't think I would personally be walking around the ship (or should be) if I had symptoms of noro, but more curled up inside my cabin.

Here's a link to a CruiseCritic reporter's experience of getting the bug on Solstice last year and the procedures that Celebrity follows:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2014/01/30/a-closer-look-what-its-like-to-be-under-quarantine/

Have they reopened all of the venues on the ship including the gym? While I completely agree long lines are annoying on vacation I would look at the alternative which you could have been the previous cruiser who posted about getting noro AND not having a normally functioning toilet. That kind of experience for me would personally put a dent in my plans for future cruising.

Question: Why aren't you dining in Blu for breakfast?

Thanks for keeping us posted and hope that you continue to do so, and of course code red getting lifted.

Edited by absolutboy20

about to go on in 2 days and just got this email from celebrity.

I googled the equinox and it happened earlier this year.

depressing. I hope they kill it all but only time will tell.

leaving Barcelona for a two week cruise......

anyone ever experience a cruise right after an outbreak?

"

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Celebrity Equinox sailing from Barcelona on August 1, 2015. During the current sailing, guests onboard experienced gastrointestinal illness. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your cruise. Due to this extra cleaning and sanitizing, we ask that guests not arrive to the terminal before 2:00 PM as seating is limited. We apologize for this delay to your boarding process and we thank you for your understanding and patience. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

"

We dealt with the situation on NCL in April. The last people that were cleared to go to their cabins didn't get access until about 6pm because there had to be an inspection plus all the cleaning and sanitizing. We were not given salt and pepper shakers during the 10 day cruise and not allowed to touch the food in the buffet. It was 2 days before we got real glasses (paper untile then) and another day before we were given our in cabin coffee pots. There wre a lot of other inconveniences as well, but you know what? Most people did a good job of coping and we speared another outbreak. For those of you who are unhappy with the restrictions, just enjoy your cruise, pray you do not get sick and don't let things get to you. A year from now, will this really bother you? As for how to prevent another outbreak: I think we all know, wash, wash, wash is the best answer. All the other suggestions are good, but not as good as plain old soup and water. Remember, noro isn't just on ships, we are just more aware of it because it is easier to identify. It is on planes, hotels, resorts, schools and yes, the doctors office.

Edited by newmexicoNita

An update as I'm on board. We are still on code red. Two days ago I was told no new cases, yesterday I was told one case, today "some cases but it's not yet uncontrollable". So obviously the problem is getting worse not better.

The most frustrating thing is that most staff you ask say they aren't allowed to say how many cases there are. This is incredibly frustrating! If passengers knew cases were increasing they'd take more care.

Round the pool is like a sardine can and tomorrow is a sea day so I can only see it getting worse. In the meantime most passengers assume the problem has gone and are bored by the extra sanitation procedures.

Celebrity- you need to understand that bad news could help the situation- at the moment people are becoming blase on board. Please update the passengers with the real situation, whatever that might be.

An update as I'm on board. We are still on code red. Two days ago I was told no new cases, yesterday I was told one case, today "some cases but it's not yet uncontrollable". So obviously the problem is getting worse not better.

The most frustrating thing is that most staff you ask say they aren't allowed to say how many cases there are. This is incredibly frustrating! If passengers knew cases were increasing they'd take more care.

Round the pool is like a sardine can and tomorrow is a sea day so I can only see it getting worse. In the meantime most passengers assume the problem has gone and are bored by the extra sanitation procedures.

Celebrity- you need to understand that bad news could help the situation- at the moment people are becoming blase on board. Please update the passengers with the real situation, whatever that might be.

No matter for what reason, they should tell you the numbers so everyone knows what's going on. Hope you stay healthy!

And I am really curious what will happen on the charter cruise if they do not get rid of the virus before the cruise starts. From what I heard last year (was on the cruise right after the charter) this is definitely something that could help the virus spreading again.

No matter for what reason, they should tell you the numbers so everyone knows what's going on. Hope you stay healthy!

And I am really curious what will happen on the charter cruise if they do not get rid of the virus before the cruise starts. From what I heard last year (was on the cruise right after the charter) this is definitely something that could help the virus spreading again.

Now you've got me really worried, as we get on after the Charter. :(

As I always say, use whatever makes you feel better, or safer, but do so with the proper knowledge. Here is a link to the EPA list of effective agents against the noro virus. Basically, if it isn't on this list, despite manufacturers' claims, the product is not effective.

http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_g_norovirus.pdf

chengkp75,You forgot to say if it is not American its a waste of time using.

Please join the real world.

<flame on>

I work as an engineering program manager in the microcomputer industry, surrounded on a daily basis by engineers who have limited to no online (email, forums, etc.) communications skills. My experience on CruiseCritic is that many members posting responses like this have far surpassed those engineers' levels of accomplishment in that area of communications.

If you had looked closely at the list provided by ChEng, you can see that many of them are generics or international brands. Yes, there may be some registered with NHS that are not on this list... do you seriously think that his posting reflects an American-centrist attack on other countries' cleaning products and health care systems? If so, maybe you need to join the real world... or better yet, emigrate to the US, become a citizen and join the Tea Party. You might be a better fit than you think. :D

<flame off>

--bruce T.

P. S. I see that you're from Scotland? I'm a big fan of Scotland - been there on business and vacation 11 times. Most people seem friendlier. But, I'm a Ranger supporter. If you're a Celtic supporter, that would be a much better position to attack on. :D

keep-calm-and-support-rangers-fc-10.png

chengkp75,You forgot to say if it is not American its a waste of time using.

Please join the real world.

As Btank says, many of those products are produced around the world, and many products from overseas are available here, but that none of them have bothered to submit to the EPA their testing to see if they can receive a certification as being effective. The cruise lines are non-US corporations, and the ships are non-US, so they would be free to use whatever product they chose for sanitation against noro virus, yet I can say that nearly every sanitizing agent used onboard cruise ships is listed on the EPA list. Virkon, one of the most common noro sanitizing agents is manufactured by the international corporations Neogen, Chemours, various DuPont subsidiaries, and others. And if you look at the product descriptions of these agents, they are either so strong as to require protective gear to apply, have contact time in the 3-5 minute range (must remain wet for this time), or are such that when mixed with water for application they have a shelf life of an hour or two, making their use in a pre-mixed liquid hand sanitizer impossible.

Please provide the equivalent UK list of agents effective against noro, and you will most likely find quite a lot of cross-population, and also probably very few or none of the consumer hand sanitizers.

And just to clear something up, the hand sanitizers used by the cruise ships is not that much different in composition to those available to consumers, they are not any special "noro killing" sanitizer.

The CDC (sorry if it offends you that it is a US government agency) is a world recognized leader in infectious disease research, and they are the ones doing the testing that leads to the EPA list, and they will state that virtually no hand sanitizer will "kill" noro, because the "contact" or "dwell" time is insufficient. And the sanitizer that noted above that claims to be more effective against noro, since it has a longer dwell time, is basing this on the "emollients" increasing the dwell time. The stuff dries on your hands, ending the dwell time, and the emollients are skin softeners, and have nothing to do with increasing the effective contact time of the active anti-viral ingredient.

Edited by chengkp75

Code red lifted yesterday, a sea day. Ice on the Martini bar too. Staff are now eating there again - they are not allowed to eat in the buffet during code red. Staff that had been doing code red activities are now back to normal duties like manning the bathrooms.

Re Blu, we were told it was too slow on excursion day but we did so this morning and it was wonderful.

Our balcony was painted today even though we had said No on the consent form. It smells of enamel paint now. Not happy.

Edited by Pushka

Can you please explain what you mean with this comment. Why would a charter help spreading the noro virus?

Edited by relo

Can you please explain what you mean with this comment. Why would a charter help spreading the noro virus?

First, i want to say that this is just my thinking and I wasn't on the charter. But I was on the cruise right after the charter and talked to different crew members about how it was - as I am a curious person :) The company that chartered the ship was "Atlantis Events".

In the past, other ships were not able to clean the ship 100% as the next guests got sick also (even more guests than the previous cruise). They had to shorten the next cruise for one day to have enough time to get totally rid of the virus, think that was on NCL just some time ago. So if there is an outbreak, there are chances that the virus "will stay onboard".

In a short term: I heard that they had huge parties with lots of fun on the charter, alcohol (of course, that is also normal on regular cruises) and some of the guests had different forms of "bodily fluids exchanges". I won't get into details but it seems this cruise really was different. I am easy with that as I am a tolerant person but I didn't believe one story until I heard it again from a different person... there were definitely things going on that should belong behind cabin doors.

So if the virus will still be onboard when the charter guests arrive I can imagine that some of them will catch it (which just can happen, even if the keep washing their hands etc.).

And if you have a lot of people together that close e.g. on the pool deck on a party and the circumstances are like they have been on the charter where I had stories from I am sure that helps spreading the virus.

Again, just my thinking and I don't want to offend anyone!!!!

Edited by UniPac

First, i want to say that this is just my thinking and I wasn't on the charter. But I was on the cruise right after the charter and talked to different crew members about how it was - as I am a curious person :) The company that chartered the ship was "Atlantis Events".

In the past, other ships were not able to clean the ship 100% as the next guests got sick also (even more guests than the previous cruise). They had to shorten the next cruise for one day to have enough time to get totally rid of the virus, think that was on NCL just some time ago. So if there is an outbreak, there are chances that the virus "will stay onboard".

In a short term: I heard that they had huge parties with lots of fun on the charter, alcohol (of course, that is also normal on regular cruises) and some of the guests had different forms of "bodily fluids exchanges". I won't get into details but it seems this cruise really was different. I am easy with that as I am a tolerant person but I didn't believe one story until I heard it again from a different person... there were definitely things going on that should belong behind cabin doors.

So if the virus will still be onboard when the charter guests arrive I can imagine that some of them will catch it (which just can happen, even if the keep washing their hands etc.).

And if you have a lot of people together that close e.g. on the pool deck on a party and the circumstances are like they have been on the charter where I had stories from I am sure that helps spreading the virus.

You are right, all that communion wine and sharing the body of christ.

If only they would ban genuflecting.

As you could have seen in my signature, I'm aware that the ship is chartered by Atlantis ;)

I'm sorry but I suspect that the main problem is that people won't wash their hands after a bathroom visit and not a pool deck party. And that won't be any different between a chartered or not chartered cruise. I'm more worried about the people that are now on the Equinox and not following the advices about the Norovirus and keeping it on the ship when we board.

Edited by relo

I think they wanted to make sure we didnt continue on the virus and it seems we havent. But I still see people not washing their hands in the bathroom. Ugh. But there has been lots of preparation maintenance which is tiresome. This itinerary is fantastic though - loved Malta but very hot (45C) as was Florence. Today is a stunner in Kotor. Equinox looks mighty nice today!

dff6bc7cd7c27fccf602edb738280eed.jpg

d2d339f312a6b81b00bef45c33bc7960.jpg

Edited by Pushka

I think they wanted to make sure we didnt continue on the virus and it seems we havent. But I still see people not washing their hands in the bathroom. Ugh. But there has been lots of preparation maintenance which is tiresome. This itinerary is fantastic though - loved Malta but very hot (45C) as was Florence. Today is a stunner in Kotor. Equinox looks mighty nice today!

dff6bc7cd7c27fccf602edb738280eed.jpg

d2d339f312a6b81b00bef45c33bc7960.jpg

Looks fab - really looking forward to Kotor and glad you are now enjoying your cruise more now the restrictions have been lifted.