virus on celebrity equinox

Mratner

We both ended up having some sort of GI virus, but no vomiting. Still feeling pretty lousy after travelling home late last night. The pools did worry me - tried not to get any water on our faces, but some idiot managed to splash me! We continually washed our hands, used the Purell stations both on going into the restaurants and on the way out. I guess we will never know how many were affected, but quite a few people we talked to had had problems. Really hope they can get rid of it, but it does make me wonder whether any of the crew infected us. The Future Cruise manager had been confined to her cabin for 2 days, before we met her for a meeting to book our next cruise. Maybe she had it - she didn't say what the problem was. I think however careful you are, sometimes you will be unlucky. Beautiful cruise though - and wish we were still on her.

We both ended up having some sort of GI virus, but no vomiting. Still feeling pretty lousy after travelling home late last night. The pools did worry me - tried not to get any water on our faces, but some idiot managed to splash me! We continually washed our hands, used the Purell stations both on going into the restaurants and on the way out. I guess we will never know how many were affected, but quite a few people we talked to had had problems. Really hope they can get rid of it, but it does make me wonder whether any of the crew infected us. The Future Cruise manager had been confined to her cabin for 2 days, before we met her for a meeting to book our next cruise. Maybe she had it - she didn't say what the problem was. I think however careful you are, sometimes you will be unlucky. Beautiful cruise though - and wish we were still on her.

Sorry to hear both of you got problems, hope you'll be well soon!

If you wash your hands and touch nothing it is still not 100% sure - you eat, drink etc. so it is correct, you can still be unlucky.

Did Celebrity offer any OBC/Future cruise credit? Heard that it happened in the past/on other cruise lines.

So limiting yourself to only using Luminae (as you previously stated) did not ensure you didn't contract the illness. It's the luck of the draw as contact can be made anywhere, not just eating venues. Certain decks did appear to be hit more than others and apparently more staff did contract the virus on our sailing than had in previous cruises. All that being said, no one in our large group of acquaintances was ill and we only heard of others via third parties - we were just lucky.

Hopefully the deep clean and extra sanitisation performed yesterday will eradicate the problem. The itinerary is wonderful and we'd book it again in a heartbeat ;).

We also returned yesterday, The letter about the outbreak and the no self service appeared on day 3 at breakfast.

I managed to stay clear of illness for the first week,

We followed a lady into the buffet on day 2 who sneezed into her hands and then walked straight past the sanitiser and started using the buffet ( we stayed well clear :)

I never touched anything if I did not need to, no hand rails etc, but its very difficult to sit down without touching the chairs. I was surprised that the salt and pepper ports etc were available in the dinning room ( never touched)

as were the well soiled menu's.

My problems started after about 5 days with a sore throat which gradually got worse, until I felt so rough I did not venture out of the room one day ( luckily it was the last sea day)

the stomach issues then arrived but I did not vomit or have 'the runs' but just felt unwell and bloated, so stayed off food and drink,

I'm wondering if a lot of the problems have been caused by cold and flu type viruses, as there we many guests coughing and sneezing.

My symptoms kept changing over the final week, so feel I may have been reinfected.

I used every sanitiser I was presented with and washed my hands etc all the time, didn't touch anything if I could get away with it , and still ended up ill , but I think most of my issues came from airbourn viruses.

With 5 days to go I was ready to go home :-(

I cannot see how its not possible to get cross contamination when wait staff take used plates from one table and then give out the next tables fresh meals.

To avoid that they would need to wash their hands between serving each guest ( which does not happen)

I also sore staff with coughs serving customers at say the café, surely they should be given time off serving duties)

We've returned from Equinox today - fabulous time and no illness for any in our party. Yes, there were many extra health safety precautions: no library books, serving in buffet etc., and a questionnaire was left in the cabins asking if anyone had experienced any GI symptoms during the cruise. Advisors were on the ship during our cruise, which is why I presume several other items were removed from our cabins mid cruise. X are obviously taking this to another level to ensure the ship is virus free.

It's a shame if Istanbul is removed from future cruises as we enjoyed our time there. In fact, after such a short visit, it's made us want to return. It was a little chaotic at the start of the cruise due to the last minute changes and I've never experienced so many pax in tears at GS due to lost luggage etc. We didn't leave until well after the schedule time after embarkation as they were still waiting for certain late flights etc.

No one in our particular section of the deck, according to our steward, was ill during the cruise (and we did see all of our immediate neighbours enjoying their sailing). We did hear of both pax and crew that had been I'll though. Wash, wash, wash will definitely help everyone. Btw, we saw many still refusing to use the hand sanitisers and also those (not children either) grabbing food instead of waiting to be served at the buffet stations. One older lady licking her fingers and she was eating items she had just picked up :eek:!

yes I saw her too ! she was with her husband and their friends and three teenagers .

strange thing was she was wearing marigolds! :eek:

I thought "now thats funny " :D

Just returned from a excellent cruise on the Equinox.

My wife and I and the many friends we chatted to were unaffected.

It is important to use the hand wash at all times . You simply cant hand wash enough and this will diminish the chances of being infected.

The staff are taking all possible steps to contain the virus.

I can honestly say it did not impact upon our cruise at all.

yes I saw her too ! she was with her husband and their friends and three teenagers .

strange thing was she was wearing marigolds! :eek:

I thought "now thats funny " :D

You obviously missed the 'older lady' part of my quote :rolleyes: :D. Those marigolds came in very handy :p.

It did not impact on our enjoyment of the cruise either (as you could probably tell :D).

W

My wife and I on Aug 24 sailing. Wife got the Noro about 9 days in despite every single precaution including not touching elevator buttons , sanitising at every opportunity and never using public toilets. I was ok, until 36 hours after disembarkation. Got the "runs" , nausea and no appetite.

W

My wife and I on Aug 24 sailing. Wife got the Noro about 9 days in despite every single precaution including not touching elevator buttons , sanitising at every opportunity and never using public toilets. I was ok, until 36 hours after disembarkation. Got the "runs" , nausea and no appetite.

Exactly the same as we had. Still not right today - started in Villefranche for me and about 4 days earlier for John. Neither of us were sick though, so assumed this was a different bug. Hard enough being home, without feeling rough!!

No news from the current sailing, so hopefully they have it under control. Wish I was back on the ship!

Started on the sea day b4 Rome for me, spent the sea day in cabin , not sick or runs just very rough and stomach burgling, lasted about 4 -5 days, not wanting to eat or drink much.

didn't get off in rome or livorno

what a waste of a drinks package :-(

only started to feel better at teh airport, although still got sore throat

definitely feels more like a Flu than a noro to me.

We just came from the August 24th cruise. We are a group of 5 people sharing two cabins and we didn't caught anything at all.

All of us have go to the theatre, swimming pool, jacuzzi, bars etc.

Maybe me were lucky and stay healthy during the whole cruise.

Any news on the current sailing?

The comments about the recent virus being 'new' and crew always reporting their illness are actually misguided in some cases. Some crew worry about pay and whatnot and will hide illness (see the 2nd site I posted earlier in this thread) so this can allow a reaccurance for months at a time of the same virus especially when you consider the longish incubation period. If you think about the number of instances aboard the Equinox this year it could be a possibility.

I didn't get any sickness on our August 1st cruise but did have a cough on board...I put this down to a bad mix of my hayfever and air con on my throat but now I am wondering.

Sore throats, cough, respiratory virus.... Noro is a GI virus, average incubation 33 hours. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.... Easily passes by direct physical contact with contaminated hands, items, etc. not airborn. To reduce airborne - US pharmacies have a product 'Halo' which sprayed orally before flights, gatherings etc. reduces the risk of succumbing. We use it every time we fly & try to remember to use it before shore excursions etc! May be helpful....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sore throats, cough, respiratory virus.... Noro is a GI virus, average incubation 33 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I realise this but I am saying I may have got something on board. Other posters have mentioned a cough and whatnot so this may show that something else is/was being transmitted on board also.

GI virus individuals can be contagious for around 2 weeks after recovery.

Edited by Velvetwater