virus on celebrity equinox

Mratner

We just came from the August 24th cruise. We are a group of 5 people sharing two cabins and we didn't caught anything at all.

All of us have go to the theatre, swimming pool, jacuzzi, bars etc.

Maybe me were lucky and stay healthy during the whole cruise.

I was on the same cruise and we were told 400 had come down with the virus.

We saw lots of different staff taking their turn on duty with the hand gel. But there's no way the ship was 'filthy' as a reviews said. I've never seen so much cleaning. We thought it was really clean. Even photo staff cleaning hand rails. Kids club staff doing the buffet duty were fabulous, using humour to get every one to use it going in and out.

Totally agree with above: so much cleaning every day.

I believe we were in one of the floors originally affected, and every time we returned to our cabin someone was cleaning something in the corridor.

as a newbie to cruising I have no comparison, but to me the ship was spotlessly clean. We were lucky enough to stay well.

With regard to Norovirus: when cases occurred in the hospital I worked in, once patients were discharged home, the ward was high cleaned thoroughly, then left 48 hours, until new patients admitted. difficult to chive on a cruise ship but maybe it would help rid the ship of the virus?

I believe we were in one of the floors originally affected, and every time we returned to our cabin someone was cleaning something in the corridor.

as a newbie to cruising I have no comparison, but to me the ship was spotlessly clean. We were lucky enough to stay well.

With regard to Norovirus: when cases occurred in the hospital I worked in, once patients were discharged home, the ward was high cleaned thoroughly, then left 48 hours, until new patients admitted. difficult to chive on a cruise ship but maybe it would help rid the ship of the virus?

Jules,

I'm unsure where these people were looking if they didn't notice all the staff cleaning - you couldn't miss them!

Off topic slightly, I did send you an email, but unsure if you received as I know you were having problems? Drop me a line when you get chance. :)x

Jules,

I'm unsure where these people were looking if they didn't notice all the staff cleaning - you couldn't miss them!

Off topic slightly, I did send you an email, but unsure if you received as I know you were having problems? Drop me a line when you get chance. :)x

Hi Lovely

Haven't had email access since brief stop in Barcelona (D had his passport pinched at the termpminal).

I will get access once back at work Monday and be in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We are one of the lucky ones to be boarding the Equinox after you leave. You might know that the Oct.2 passengers have a postponed embarkation due to thorough sanitizing of the ship. Do you have an update on .... how many people were ill? .... whether or not they feel they are getting this under control? I hope you had a wonderful cruise.

Nancy

We are two of the folks on the October 2nd sailing (in addition to the October 15th and October 27th sailings). We received both e-mails and text messages yesterday about a slightly delayed boarding on October 2nd, and are also curious about the current situation on board. Any one currently onboard with information?

We are two of the folks on the October 2nd sailing (in addition to the October 15th and October 27th sailings). We received both e-mails and text messages yesterday about a slightly delayed boarding on October 2nd, and are also curious about the current situation on board. Any one currently onboard with information?

We'd also like to know the status.....and hope to get some live info as you cruise through October! We'd really appreciate it.

Our cruise is not til January but final payment is due Oct 19th.......

Seems Equinox has had noro on board for quite awhile....

Could you clarify stating you were on one of the floors originally affected?

could a staff member pass this along ?

400 mentioned by CNPGOLF....that's a high number of folks being sick....

Hello,

How can I learn about the cruise critics' excursion opportunities on this cruise

Is there a link I go to? Please let me know, privately if you wish.

Will I get a notice about the meeting on the ship with the other Cruise Critics members?

Thank you very much,

Positive

Hello,

How can I learn about the cruise critics' excursion opportunities on this cruise

Will I get a notice about the meeting on the ship with the other Cruise Critics members?

Thank you very much,

Positive

This thread is not about a specific sailing. Your question should be posted on the Roll Call thread for your particular ship & sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello,

Thank you very much,

Positive

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

This site has something called "Roll Calls" where people on specific cruises chat with each other and plan excursions together. Your Roll call can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2008795

It already has 79 pages! Good luck!:)

Just off Equinox last Friday and had a fabulous cruise. We were under code red for pretty much the first week of the cruise, but I was never told how many were affected. Our butler told us they are most affected by norovirus when departing from Istanbul, which our cruise did.

The crew worked really hard and did get it under control, so it really didn't affect us much. It just took a bit longer to get food in the Oceanview Café when under code red as they have to service everyone.

Fabulous crew, great service and food. This was our 2nd time on Equinox and we love the ship.

The CDC collects reports of outbreaks. Anything over 2% must be reported. Equinox had ONE outbreak in early 2015. There have been no other reports of outbreaks involving more than 2% of the passengers. Celebrity takes active measures when there are ANY cases reported. Would think all other cruise lines would do the same.

Suite Susie - It doesn't - see below. I would guess since there are some 100,000,000 cases of Noro a year that the odds are every cruise would have at least a passenger or two that bring it on board.

The following from the CDC website as of 10/4/2015

OCEANIA Marina (21 Apr – 7 May) 16day South America (through Panama Canal) from Callao Peru to New York City NY 69 / 1185 (5,8%) 11 / 769 (1,4%)

CDC report

Holland America ms Maasdam (17 Apr – 1 May) 14day roundtrip Southern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale FL 67 / 1138 (5,9%) 12 / 578 (2,1%)

CDC report

Coral Princess (Alaska repositioning, Apr 12 – 27) 15day Panama Canal from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles 71 / 1958 (3,6%) 6 / 881 (0,7%)

CDC report

Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas (30 Mar – 14 Apr) 15day Panama Canal transition cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego 114 / 1763 (6,5%) 2 / 747 (0,3%)

CDC report

Celebrity Infinity (29 Mar – 13 Apr) 15day Panama Canal transit cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego 95 / 2117 (4,5%) 5 / 964 (0,5%)

CDC report

Celebrity Equinox (13-23 Feb) 10day Eastern-Southern Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale 95 / 2896 (3,3%) 7 / 1209 (0,6%)

CDC report

Edited by az_tchr
Reply to Susie

The CDC collects reports of outbreaks. Anything over 2% must be reported. Equinox had ONE outbreak in early 2015. There have been no other reports of outbreaks involving more than 2% of the passengers. Celebrity takes active measures when there are ANY cases reported. Would think all other cruise lines would do the same.

Suite Susie - It doesn't - see below. I would guess since there are some 100,000,000 cases of Noro a year that the odds are every cruise would have at least a passenger or two that bring it on board.

The following from the CDC website as of 10/4/2015

OCEANIA Marina (21 Apr – 7 May) 16day South America (through Panama Canal) from Callao Peru to New York City NY 69 / 1185 (5,8%) 11 / 769 (1,4%)

CDC report

Holland America ms Maasdam (17 Apr – 1 May) 14day roundtrip Southern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale FL 67 / 1138 (5,9%) 12 / 578 (2,1%)

CDC report

Coral Princess (Alaska repositioning, Apr 12 – 27) 15day Panama Canal from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles 71 / 1958 (3,6%) 6 / 881 (0,7%)

CDC report

Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas (30 Mar – 14 Apr) 15day Panama Canal transition cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego 114 / 1763 (6,5%) 2 / 747 (0,3%)

CDC report

Celebrity Infinity (29 Mar – 13 Apr) 15day Panama Canal transit cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego 95 / 2117 (4,5%) 5 / 964 (0,5%)

CDC report

Celebrity Equinox (13-23 Feb) 10day Eastern-Southern Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale 95 / 2896 (3,3%) 7 / 1209 (0,6%)

CDC report

from reports on this website...Noro has been on the Equinox for quite awhile..some said from the time it crossed over to Europe..pretty soon she is heading back!

There are almost no cruises when someone does not get noro.

hcat - "The CDC collects reports of outbreaks. Anything over 2% must be reported. Equinox had ONE outbreak in early 2015. There have been no other reports of outbreaks involving more than 2% of the passengers. Celebrity takes active measures when there are ANY cases reported. Would think all other cruise lines would do the same." Buffet line serving is changed when there is anything more than one or two isolated cases. The poster regarding the last cruise said it started immediately. Noro takes several days for symptoms to show. Passengers board every cruise that are already sick.

The last outbreak of significant numbers was in February per the CDC.

hcat - "The CDC collects reports of outbreaks. Anything over 2% must be reported. Equinox had ONE outbreak in early 2015. There have been no other reports of outbreaks involving more than 2% of the passengers. Celebrity takes active measures when there are ANY cases reported. Would think all other cruise lines would do the same." Buffet line serving is changed when there is anything more than one or two isolated cases. The poster regarding the last cruise said it started immediately. Noro takes several days for symptoms to show. Passengers board every cruise that are already sick.

No, the cruiselines only have to report the outbreak to the CDC if the ship is travelling to or from US ports, Europe is not reportable ;). Hence that is why there is nothing showing since February.

We came onboard Equinox Oct 2nd....everything seemed normal, minimal extra precautions everywhere. One thing we noticed was in the buffet the tables didn't have salt/pepper shakers and sugar packets...today they do.

Also asked numerous staff about outbreaks and they said not recently...just taking precautions!

We came onboard Equinox Oct 2nd....everything seemed normal, minimal extra precautions everywhere. One thing we noticed was in the buffet the tables didn't have salt/pepper shakers and sugar packets...today they do.

Also asked numerous staff about outbreaks and they said not recently...just taking precautions!

Thanks for this info...and to others for CDC info....

our final payment date is coming up soon for a Jan cruise...

glad things are ok now...understand it can always change but hope not!

One bad experience way back on Royal C was not very pleasant,.

I also just got off the Sept 19th Istanbul-Barcelona cruise. I wasn't personally affected, and don't know anyone who was.

It was interesting to watch the progression:

Day 1: Purell dispensers

Day 3: Squirty persons. Code red in the buffet (nobody touches the food).

Day 5: Daily message from the Captain over the PA, on the importance of washing your hands.

Day 6: Custodian standing guard in every bathroom. Never said anything; I think he was just there to apply silent peer pressure to make sure you washed.

Day 7: Constantly washing all handrails and bannisters.

Day 8: Cartoon in the Equinox Theater before the performance, on hand-washing.

Day 9: Quarantine on Decks 7 and 8.

Day 10: Crew members in hazmat suits.

OK, those last 2 didn't happen.

Day 11: Code red lifted in the buffet.

The CDC information is limited solely to ships calling at US ports. They have no jurisdiction over ships anywhere else in the world.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

I also just got off the Sept 19th Istanbul-Barcelona cruise. I wasn't personally affected, and don't know anyone who was.

It was interesting to watch the progression:

Day 1: Purell dispensers

Day 3: Squirty persons. Code red in the buffet (nobody touches the food).

Day 5: Daily message from the Captain over the PA, on the importance of washing your hands.

Day 6: Custodian standing guard in every bathroom. Never said anything; I think he was just there to apply silent peer pressure to make sure you washed.

Day 7: Constantly washing all handrails and bannisters.

Day 8: Cartoon in the Equinox Theater before the performance, on hand-washing.

Day 9: Quarantine on Decks 7 and 8.

Day 10: Crew members in hazmat suits.

OK, those last 2 didn't happen.

Day 11: Code red lifted in the buffet.

When we left the ship on Sept 7th our room steward was in a hazmat suit three doors down cleaning a cabin.

When we left the ship on Sept 7th our room steward was in a hazmat suit three doors down cleaning a cabin.

On a Constellation cruise which had a serious outbreak of noro, I returned to our cabin after breakfast on the day I was released from quarantine, to find a guy in a hazmat suit cleaning MY cabin!:eek:

Edited by Suzy Smith