virus on celebrity equinox

Mratner

As you could have seen in my signature, I'm aware that the ship is chartered by Atlantis ;)

I'm sorry but I suspect that the main problem is that people won't wash their hands after a bathroom visit and not a pool deck party. And that won't be any different between a chartered or not chartered cruise. I'm more worried about the people that are now on the Equinox and not following the advices about the Norovirus and keeping it on the ship when we board.

Oh to be honest, I didn't recognize it - never saw it in a signature. So you know much more about the charters than I do!

You are right, the main problem is people don't wash their hands. But this is a fact, they don't do it - no matter, if they are crew, guest, regular or charter cruise. So chances are that people will catch the virus even if they wash hands cause you can't wash your hands everytime after touching anything (buffet, doors, shake hands, salt/pepper, sea pass card etc.).

So even WITH strict hand washing you can still catch the virus from others that don't take the same care as you do.

And then, the "circumstances" come into play... that's my opionion, and I think therefor the risk on a charter cruise like that is higher if they did not get rid of the virus.

If they did, I think chances are lower than on a regular cruise - cause from the people that would sail on "Atlantis" charter I know, they are far more educated about cleaning/healthiness and care more than the average "straight" people.

Again, just my opinion. If someone can provide studies on this topic that will show me that I am wrong: I'm glad to learn!

So you see that the problem is not only washing hands - if you do, it is not enough. EVERYONE has to do it - but as long as this is not the case, we (charter are not) will have to deal with the problem.

I think they wanted to make sure we didnt continue on the virus and it seems we havent. But I still see people not washing their hands in the bathroom. Ugh. But there has been lots of preparation maintenance which is tiresome. This itinerary is fantastic though - loved Malta but very hot (45C) as was Florence. Today is a stunner in Kotor. Equinox looks mighty nice today!

Kotor was one of my favorite sail-ins. The rising sun scratching at the mountains looked amazing:

KotorSailin1_zpsz5jpyczr.jpg

Btw, this was on the Equinox also! :)

KotorEquinox_zps59dxlxqx.jpg

Looks fab - really looking forward to Kotor and glad you are now enjoying your cruise more now the restrictions have been lifted.

The sail in and out of Kotor is fabulous.

• 2 weeks later...

.... Some people got a letter telling them that they had to go to GR to update their CC information, but we didn't. We had a good amount of OBC and didn't have any problems with the card the first couple of days. In my case it didn't help that we had the worst room-attendant/butler combo in our cruising history. We didn't get this letter or the one alerting about the noro-virus.

I'm happy to report that at the end of the cruise we didn't get noro or got our luggage thrown out into the Mediterranean :):) Sea...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242002

Hi drarill,

As we will be in a suite on the Equinox in October (first timers!), would you mind sharing which floor/area your cabin was in? I'm hoping we won't also get the "worst room-attendant/butler combo". This is our "trip of a lifetime".

Thanks!

I was onboard the Aug 1st sailing and had no issues with the extra precautions. Better to put up with a little inconvenience than get noro....

I was shocked at the number of people walking into the buffet who refused the hand sanitizer... I don't care if you don't believe in it or agree with it, think of your fellow passengers.

All in all I rarely eat in the buffet anyway, the barnyard habits of many folks leave a lot to be desired.

Great cruise, great ship. Felt sorry for the staff who were working like dogs the first 5 days.

Hi drarill,

As we will be in a suite on the Equinox in October (first timers!), would you mind sharing which floor/area your cabin was in? I'm hoping we won't also get the "worst room-attendant/butler combo". This is our "trip of a lifetime".

Thanks!

Deck 10- hump port side... I'm really low maintenance. We never ordered room service or asked for too much. We asked for ice every day, but they didn't remember until I had a serious conversation with the concierge. I also missed the Bvlgari bath products, we got the same than our friends in concierge class. My new (and expensive) sunglasses were either lost or stolen from our cabin... No flowers in our room.

There were other issues on our cruise that were weather related. We had the worst embarkation process thanks to a power failure in the port. Suite guests didn't get any priority embarkation. I had to wait almost half an hour for a hair appointment but they couldn't wait 20 minutes for me when the tender process in Ibiza was stopped for over two hours.

I think I saw our butler twice, he never made an effort to find out what we liked for the afternoon canapés. I'm allergic to sea food and most days I couldn't touch what he left. We had great experiences with butlers on the Eclipse, Reflection, Silhouette and on a different cruise on the Equinox. This is the first time I didn't leave an extra gratuity to the butler or to the concierge.

Hope you have a great time...

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the equinox and unfortunately the virus is back. No self service, no ice on the martini bar and they are in the process of removing all the Library books. Still having a great time, but it is taking the edge off things. Was about to sit down with our breakfast this morning at the open area behind the ocean view cafe and we were quickly hurried away as someone had been ill. Needless to say we a abandoned our breakfast and got coffee and pastries from Al Bacio instead. Fortunately we are in Luminae so have decided to eat all our meals in there until the code red has been removed. We are in Kotor today - it is beautiful but so hot!

Sorry to hear noro might be back. I suspect you will be stuck with the serving from now on. 6 days into your cruise so someone brought it onboard I guess. That open area is our favourite spot. Kotor is fabulous, isnt it.

Edited by Pushka

Started a few days ago. Staff are working really hard to contain it. Unfortunately I've washed my hands so often my gel nail polish is lifting!! Need to make an appointment for the spa.

Ah. Conspiracy theory. All part of the business model to increase business for the spa. :p

Edited by Pushka

Sorry to hear that noro's made it's way back on the Equinox. Looks like we were pretty lucky as our sailing was in between the two outbreaks and problem free. The "wash your hands" video played after the muster drill became a running joke among the comedians on board our cruise. I have to say that this cruise had one of the cleanest public bathrooms with attendants constantly cleaning them which I appreciated. We were also doused with fire hoses one dance which helped in the cleansing process. =P

Hoping that the crew on your cruise is able to get a handle on it soon.

Hope it clears up soon. We are booked in Jan so we'll follow the updates over the next few months.

They have the Sanitizer at the gym and usually containers with wipes as well. Wondering if they have the right ingredients to thwart noro, Hard to use an elliptical and most other equiment without touching hands to it!

anything new on plumbing issues?

Sorry to hear noro might be back. I suspect you will be stuck with the serving from now on. 6 days into your cruise so someone brought it onboard I guess. That open area is our favourite spot. Kotor is fabulous, isnt it.

Is it possible that crew members have the virus and that is what is causing the repeated outbreaks? Or that the virus is somehow lingering somewhere on the ship? If it was solely due to passengers bringing it on board, why would the Equinox have repeated outbreaks, while Celebrity's other ships seem to not be having the same problem?

We have been on two cruises that required enhanced sanitizing. It delays embarkation, you will not be able to self serve at the buffet for a few days, they will not be any salt, pepper, butter, sugar on the tables and the library and computer center should be closed as well as there will not be any paper goods, magazines in your rooms. Do not worry, they do a great job and take this step to ensure that the health of the new cruisers will be watched out for.

No one got sick on either of the cruises we were on after the sanitizing

Same here. It may be safer (virus wise) to cruise on a ship that has just gone through a deep cleaning.

Same here. It may be safer (virus wise) to cruise on a ship that has just gone through a deep cleaning.

Yes. Possibly. We were on the first cruise after the noro break. Delayed embarkation and no self serve for 5 days. No old paper in the rooms for around 10 days. No ice in Martini bar. No binoculars in Aqua rooms. I thought the books stayed in the library though. We were all really well - not even the usual coughs. Bur it seemed to have lasted two cruises which makes the 'crew' theory an interesting idea.

Still on Code Red I'm afraid. It's taking the edge off the cruise as we are now a bit worried about hanging out at the bars etc. I'll keep you informed.

We were on code red from Saturday (late disembarkation also) until the next Thursday. Tiresome, isn't it. I guess though at least you were witness to noro actually being onboard. We were on red alert because the cruise before us was, and we didn't hear of anyone being ill on our cruise. So purely preventive.

We were on the first cruise after the noro break. No old paper in the rooms for around 10 days. I thought the books stayed in the library though. QUOTE]

Just thinking -- what is efficacy of removing 'old paper' ? Is this the shopping catalogue etc? Do they replace with new or out the 'old' back?:confused:

Just thinking -- what is efficacy of removing 'old paper' ? Is this the shopping catalogue etc? Do they replace with new or out the 'old' back?:confused:

Goodness knows. It was items like the Room Service Menu, Room Service breakfast door hangers, pillow menus - all the stuff in the little folder. The old stuff is returned I think? Didnt look new when it came back.

Edited by Pushka

Currently on the equinox and unfortunately the virus is back. No self service, no ice on the martini bar and they are in the process of removing all the Library books. Still having a great time, but it is taking the edge off things. Was about to sit down with our breakfast this morning at the open area behind the ocean view cafe and we were quickly hurried away as someone had been ill. Needless to say we a abandoned our breakfast and got coffee and pastries from Al Bacio instead. Fortunately we are in Luminae so have decided to eat all our meals in there until the code red has been removed. We are in Kotor today - it is beautiful but so hot!

Just received word from Celebrity via my TA that boarding will be delayed for cleaning.

During its current sailing, guests onboard the Celebrity Equinox experienced gastrointestinal illness. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting the cruise.

Because of this extra cleaning and sanitizing, check in and boarding for the September 7 cruise is expected to begin at 2:30 PM. We ask that guests not arrive to the terminal before 2:30 PM as seating is limited.

Thank you for your assistance in providing this information to your clients sailing onboard Celebrity Equinox. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support of Celebrity Cruises.[/i]