virus on celebrity equinox

Mratner

Hi everyone

I asked my travel agent to contact Celebrity earlier today for a update.

The reply was that boarding will start 2.5 hours later and as a result the inclusive transfer from the Airport won't deliver us to the port until after 14.30.

not sounding so good... and seems to be getting worse...

hope folks recover and new pax do better

our final payment for an early Jan cruise is due mid Oct...if there is not a big improvement, I think we may cancel it..and try something later in the season

we have great perks, OBC, a nice stateroom and a good price, but it's not worth risk of illness...still abt 6 weeks to figure it out but we will be watching closely!

Hope this thread keeps updating us...

not sounding so good... and seems to be getting worse...

hope folks recover and new pax do better

our final payment for an early Jan cruise is due mid Oct...if there is not a big improvement, I think we may cancel it..and try something later in the season

we have great perks, OBC, a nice stateroom and a good price, but it's not worth risk of illness...still abt 6 weeks to figure it out but we will be watching closely!

Hope this thread keeps updating us...

The risk of having noro in january on the equinox is the same as on all other cruises I think. No reason to cancel and loose all the perks - imho.

Roll call seems to be silent? Perhaps decision to delay boarding has yet to be made... is there any requirement for a public health inspection if certain number of cases over certain period of time reported?

The word from my TA was delayed boarding as per the other day. No one on our roll call had said anything else.

Not that Barcelona isn't wonderful but we are ready to board Monday.

Many thanks for all the updates!

Someone who has recovered from a norovirus infection can continue to excrete the virus in the stool for 2 or more weeks after becoming asymptomatic. According to the CDC, food handlers can be a major source of the virus. Is the equivalent of a "Typhoid Mary" among the crew members? A molecular diagnostic test is available for norovirus detection in stools.

We are onboard right now. Lots of precautions in place. Library books removed, hand gel stations everywhere, served in buffet etc and no ice on martini bar. Had not spoilt our trip in any way, just giving ourselves more time to do things like breakfast being served. Not heard of any delay onboard for next cruise

Hey Tiggertastic

How are you? Hope all is well.

I'm just trying to find out how long the departure is delayed for, whether it'll be just a few hours or overnight?

Any info, please send it my way.

Thanks!

we're on the next cruise. 2:30 boarding is the message we've received. (No overnight in Istanbul either)

At least you know in advance about the delayed boarding!

I heard many cruises and lines are pulling Istanbul....too bad but safety first!

Poor folk on board, I hope they have an ok journey home tomorrow..

Looks like this virus on the Equinox may have been brought across from the USA..I found this article about 150+ passengers ill with Noro on her this past February:

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/norovirus-150-sickened-on-the-celebrity-equinox-79439/

This website also gives the facts and figures for the above breakout in February which is different to the above article but says 7 crew were sick which is interesting:

http://www.shipcruise.org/norovirus-cruise-ships/

Edited by Velvetwater

As someone boarding for the October 15th sailing, I find the fact that Celebrity hasn't been able to make this a healthy ship since February very concerning. It gives me no confidence that we will find any difference in a few weeks. Disappointing.

The previous comment about not getting the ship free of Noro is just not true.

We sailed on Equinox from Barcelona to Rome in early May just after the TA. There was no sign of the virus on the TA or our cruise. Please know the facts before you make these types of comments.

I think it kicked in on the cruise disembarking Barcelona on 1st August.

Yes, we had letter from Captain a ' small ' number of cases reported. No report on earlier B2b 18 July . Curious that we haven't heard of any incidence on the Atlantis charter though? There is a gap of a couple of weeks?

The risk of having noro in january on the equinox is the same as on all other cruises I think. No reason to cancel and loose all the perks - imho.

having come down with it the night before we disembarked a Royal cruise some yrs ago, we will carefully assess the risk....it was a nightmare Two table mates went missing for a few nights, returned looking ill and eating lite....

Feel sorry for those on board...

Wonder how many staff members are ill and whether they are getting tested...in view of post above and incubation time.....

Edited by hcat

having come down with it the night before we disembarked a Royal cruise some yrs ago, we will carefully assess the risk....it was a nightmare Two table mates went missing for a few nights, returned looking ill and eating lite....

Feel sorry for those on board...

Wonder how many staff members are ill and whether they are getting tested...in view of post above and incubation time.....

We were told that if a crew member is not feeling well & they do not report it to the doctor it is a cause for immediate dismissal. So crew do take it very seriously.

Edited by If only

If the port has cases and the ship continues using the port of embarkation, then new cases will be coming onboard and spreading. The ship can be perfectly clean but if passengers board unknowingly infected then more cases will happen. Do not touch your face is the best advice do not rely on others habits.

Here is USA Amazon link for Noro killing hand spray...

http://www.amazon.com/Clorox-02174-Bleach-Free-Sanitizer-Spray/dp/B00DDZMLLK

As an RN & Also having had Noro resulting on overnight hospital admission - (NOT on a cruise - on land!)

Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands!!! (Was appalled that I got it)

Carry OTC anti emetic meds & anti diarrhea meds easily accessible to you

Bring electrolyte tabs to aid in recovery if you get it...

Avoid touching anything! :)

We've returned from Equinox today - fabulous time and no illness for any in our party. Yes, there were many extra health safety precautions: no library books, serving in buffet etc., and a questionnaire was left in the cabins asking if anyone had experienced any GI symptoms during the cruise. Advisors were on the ship during our cruise, which is why I presume several other items were removed from our cabins mid cruise. X are obviously taking this to another level to ensure the ship is virus free.

It's a shame if Istanbul is removed from future cruises as we enjoyed our time there. In fact, after such a short visit, it's made us want to return. It was a little chaotic at the start of the cruise due to the last minute changes and I've never experienced so many pax in tears at GS due to lost luggage etc. We didn't leave until well after the schedule time after embarkation as they were still waiting for certain late flights etc.

No one in our particular section of the deck, according to our steward, was ill during the cruise (and we did see all of our immediate neighbours enjoying their sailing). We did hear of both pax and crew that had been I'll though. Wash, wash, wash will definitely help everyone. Btw, we saw many still refusing to use the hand sanitisers and also those (not children either) grabbing food instead of waiting to be served at the buffet stations. One older lady licking her fingers and she was eating items she had just picked up :eek:!

Cannot understand having just got off Equinox and they obviously had problems they still hand out menus in the Dining room, we did pass on our thoughts on this and a suggestuion too.

They were serving in the Buffet for quite some days.

The water in the cabin was scalding.

They removed lots of things from cabins and we then had disposable plastic cups instaed of glasses.No paper booklets about things on board and the book with paper and envelopes removed.Also the bible!

Seems like another message was in our cabin every night.

Saw a large sign on computer room, closed for sterilisation.

No books or mags in library.

Had to ask at Guest relations for daily papers.

But fot me and I know they have to do it was the men in white overalls spraying our corridor without any warning, can still feel the effect on my throat.

Just hope the get it under control before to much longer.

Edited by Missus Makkem

Also just got off Equinox. Precautions were sensible and only mildly inconveniencing, certainly prefer to have them do what they did than be laid up with Noro. Hope they sort it soon, but it didn't affect our enjoyment in any way.