Bridge Tours?

Giacomo 1

I realize for most, or maybe all, cruise lines these days, bridge tours are no longer offered. Pre 9/11, they were pretty standard on most lines, but I haven't seen one offered post 9/11. I've always enjoyed them, and I know other did to, as the tours were always pretty crowded.

So any chance that Oceania offers them?

I'm no expert here.

In Nov '05 we participated in a bridge tour but were sworn to secrecy. (I guess I can say something now.) At that time this was as privilege for people in the top suites, but not all of them.

In recent years I believe I have seen a few posts that referred to a bridge tour but I don't know how one is chosen to participate ... or indeed if it is really possible. Certainly we haven't been given the opportunity since that first and only tour.

Mura

Thanks for the reply Mura.

Well, at least you gave me some hope that there could be a tour. Small chance, but a chance nonetheless! I'll have to inquire, ever so gently of course, to see if I can get anything out of the crew when I get onboard. I wouldn't want to get put in the brig as a security threat!:D

Well, at least you gave me some hope that there could be a tour. Small chance, but a chance nonetheless! I'll have to inquire, ever so gently of course, to see if I can get anything out of the crew when I get onboard. I wouldn't want to get put in the brig as a security threat!:D

Good luck but I doubt you'll get one. It's been years since we were offered one.

I believe our last one on O was about seven or eight years ago and we were all in large suites.

It sounds like orchestrapal's experience is like ours. And she is always in owner's suites ... we were only in an OS that one time.

But I don't see that it could hurt to ask ... I doubt Oceania HAS a brig. Unless it doubles as crew's quarters ...

Mura

NCL sells bridge tours as part of a tour of the galleys and other "back rooms" of the ships. Some of their Captains have also visited the Meet 'n Greets and offered a complimentary private tour of the bridge; we've done it twice. It really isn't official policy, so I won't identify the ships or the Captains.

We've also visited the bridge on other ships. Frankly, they are antiseptic and somewhat boring We enjoyed the pilot house tours on American Queen a lot more; they are offered on every cruise. That pilot house actually sinks like an elevator down into the boat to clear low bridges.

Sea Dream Yacht Club also have an open bridge policy......There is even a coffee station with pastries and cookies, and it's always good Form for a passenger to offer the officer of the watch a drink. We always stop by before bedtime for the next days weather briefing. It's a really nice touch.

And on Fred. Olsen's Black Watch and Boudicca, (two of the former Royal Viking triplets) you really don't need bridge visits when you book the OS..... :) edit?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hG-37h8fOHUcfAgoNxsF1P8_cxO6SxYYPw/edit?usp=docslist_api

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

So it seems like some lines do still offer the tours.

I would think that most Captains would like to show off their "office" to people who normally have no idea what a bridge looks like or how it functions. The reactions of folks on those tours is usually one of awe and amazement, especially when they see the ship is steered by a little joy-stick instead of a big wheel!:p

I also think that on smaller ships, like the R series of Oceania, bridge tours are really doable without presenting a security threat. I'm actually a little tired of everything being considered a security threat, but I guess that's another topic! On a ship of 600 passengers or so, there is little chance of any questionable passengers being among them as it's easy to go over the passenger lists and it's easy to control. I guess I do get it on a big ship though, as it would be a bit harder to assess who is who.

Just another little piece of freedom and fun we've lost...:(

Edited by Giacomo 1

We were on a Hapag-Lloyd ship and they had a open bridge policy on some of the sea days during a set time, you just popped in. They also allowed guests aboard. Guess each line has their own idea what a security threat is.

Check with the concierge on board..

Jancruz1

I was just on two different Azamara Ships (they only have two). We enjoyed both Bridge Tours and Kitchen/Galley Tours. Great "R" Ships with outstanding crew and food. Absolutely perfect cruises. Next month (September) I try Oceania Insignia (also an "R" Ship). Sailing from Dubai to Singapore and looking forward to trying Oceania.

Gary Hacker

Its by personal invitation, and it dosen't matter what cabin your in....I have been invited several times like when casting off and sailing out of or into a port with the pilot... Mostly after the officers discovered my navy past life...

On one ship I was given the combo to the bridge and the Capt informed his staff that it was ok for me to visit at any time...... I was in std cabin....

So it all depends on you

Its by personal invitation, and it dosen't matter what cabin your in....I have been invited several times like when casting off and sailing out of or into a port with the pilot... Mostly after the officers discovered my navy past life...

On one ship I was given the combo to the bridge and the Capt informed his staff that it was ok for me to visit at any time...... I was in std cabin....

So it all depends on you

Actually, it sounds like it depends on being an ex-sailor!:D

Wow, the combo to the bridge?! That is very cool. I was Air Force, so I doubt they'll give me the bridge combo, but maybe the kitchen combination to do some KP?;)

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on 2 or 3 bridge tours since 9/11. Most recently on Celebrity cruise when traveling in a Suite. We had dinner with the Captain and then the next day, we were invited to the bridge. The time before that was about 5 years ago on RCCL. Same scenario. I feel that there was another opportunity, but cannot remember when and where. :o

Actually, it sounds like it depends on being an ex-sailor!:D

Wow, the combo to the bridge?! That is very cool. I was Air Force, so I doubt they'll give me the bridge combo, but maybe the kitchen combination to do some KP?;)

Once,we were going between several island in a region Ihad personal experience and I suggested a more interestin route...which interested the captain. Returning to the ship prior to departure,there was a message to please come to the bridge.

Went up and theCaptain asked I could layout out a sailing plan(course fixes,stuff) Noproblem Took about45min. He liked it....and approved it!

Then handed it to the USCG and harborpilot. " this is my amended route"

Who is he...pointin to and my name on the sailplan....? TheCaptain calmly replied..".he's is my navigator"..... They glanced at me(not in a uniform) and I replied.....U.S.Navy.... Oh,ok...that's good,

We castoff on my route.... So,while some rave about serviceon O....a butler...aspecial meal.... I gott'a say that having the Captain giving me a 200million dollar vessel...to sail on a route which I liked.......

That is SERVICE....over the top

Want a truly unique ship's bridge or engine control room tour experience?

Donors and like supporters of maritime academies worldwide are often invited to tours of simulator training facilities on campus.

At first thought, you may think it just won't compare to the real thing. But, actually, the right simulator can provide a much more comprehensive experience including "hands on" operation.

At The California Maritime Academy (in Vallejo CA), for example, you will find a multi-story silo that houses a state-of-the-art 360 degree bridge simulator capable of displaying pretty much every harbor in the world and subjecting the "ship" to an endless array of heavy weather and other challenging conditions. Nearby are equally informative engineering simulation labs that provide a realistic experience with all that can go wrong (and right) in shipboard mechanical and related operations.

In the US, state university maritime academies are located in California, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Texas, and Michigan. New York is also home to the federal merchant marine academy, Kings Point.

Google these academies and contact their Development Offices for further information.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer