Beverage card

sparky3229

AH smearing...Sharpie is pretty good about not smearing. But note to self...maybe I should bring some of that blue tape we have for when we paint at home (to help make a nice edge). Do you think they have this white tape at whatever desk it is where i will buy the card???

I wouldn't dare predict. The steward may have been the smart one who got it herself, or it may have been issued by the ship. It was the only time I saw someone do that, though.

It looked like a thin strip of some medical tape. Maybe you could try asking at the infirmary! :D Or, bring a roll of medical tape along, and gift it to the lounge steward for their use with others.

I like the lanyard idea. Were the servers okay with having to take it out of the plastic or did you punch a hole in the card and clip it on the lanyard?

I was with Lizzie on our last cruise and we both used lanyards that were clipped to the card through a hole we punched. No problem for the stewards.

Edited by sapper1

AH smearing...Sharpie is pretty good about not smearing. But note to self...maybe I should bring some of that blue tape we have for when we paint at home (to help make a nice edge). Do you think they have this white tape at whatever desk it is where i will buy the card???

Also another good use for washi tape.

I am a little confused. Is the beverage card different than the beverage package?

Yes, it is. You can buy a beverage card either prior to your cruise or when you board, and use it for all drinks. That way you have just one charge (for the card) on your account if purchased onboard. Saves a lot of bits of paper and reconciling.

You wouldn't purchase the card if you have the beverage package (SBP) included for your cruise, and which is an entirely different card, though you can charge any drink under $7 ($8 for wine) to it. Hope that hasn't confused you even more.:o

Yes, it is. You can buy a beverage card either prior to your cruise or when you board, and use it for all drinks. That way you have just one charge (for the card) on your account if purchased onboard. Saves a lot of bits of paper and reconciling.

You wouldn't purchase the card if you have the beverage package (SBP) included for your cruise, and which is an entirely different card, though you can charge any drink under $7 ($8 for wine) to it. Hope that hasn't confused you even more.:o

Thank you very much, it is much clearer now. It's been several years since I have cruised with HAL, and had not seen such a card on the other lines I have travelled with.

If you purchase the card on board, do the beverage cards have numbers on them so that you can distinguish that you get the correct card returned to you? If not, do they have any distinguishing features so that you recognise your card?

If you purchase the card on board, do the beverage cards have numbers on them so that you can distinguish that you get the correct card returned to you? If not, do they have any distinguishing features so that you recognise your card?

There is no distinguishing mark or number on the card you purchase onboard. You can put your own mark on it as long as you don't interfere with the magnetic strip.

As mentioned above, I keep mine on a distinctive lanyard along with my room card, attached through a hole I punch in the card. (I pack a hole punch)

I have a little collection of lanyards which were very kindly made for me by another CC member. I just hand over the card, lanyard and all to the steward.

We usually start off the cruise with pre ordered cards which are imprinted with our names but they always seem to get used up before the cruise is over so we end up buying the generic replacements. 😀

Even though we had the Signature Beverage Package on our last cruises, we still bought the regular Beverage Cards. There are times when we like to have a bottle of wine at dinner and the Signature Beverage Package doesn't cover bottles of wine.

What happens if you lose a card you purchase on board? In other words, is it like cash?

It is linked to your room card. Just report it missing and the front desk will know how much is left on it.

Also if there is leftover credit on the card at the end of the cruise it will be credited to your account.

Edited to say that the first time you use it the steward will also take your room card so he can link the two. That card will then always be associated with you only, when it is used.

Edited by sapper1

DD and I are cruising in February. I'm a three star mariner, she is a one star. Will her purchases receive the three star applicable discounts, or shall I. Make all of the purchases, in order to receive the 25% applicable discount ?

You'll want to make any discount-eligible charges on your room key. If you use a beverage card for a specialty coffee instead of your room key, you won't get the discount.

DD and I are cruising in February. I'm a three star mariner, she is a one star. Will her purchases receive the three star applicable discounts, or shall I. Make all of the purchases, in order to receive the 25% applicable discount ?

Are you sharing the same room? If you are you will both have a key card for your room and your DD should receive your discount. I was 4* before DH and he always got my discount. I believe the discount only extends to the first two people in the room so if your DD is a third party, you might want to double check on board or with the Mariner's society if no one who has had experience posts.

If your DD is a in a different room, then you need to make the purchases.

Edited by kazu

I'm a wine drinker, whereas she enjoys flavoured coffees; so I'll purchase two $50 cards to start.

Don't forget what was posted earlier: the discount isn't given when the Beverage Card is used. Only the cabin card will get the discount applied.

So, when your daughter orders her flavored coffees, she needs to use her cabin card to pay for them in order to get the discount.

We've never purchased a Beverage Card..Normally put everything on our Cabin Card & I go through all the receipts weekly..

But we also spend a good part of the day out on Promenade Deck with our Friends & quite often in the early afternoon my Friend & I go to get specialty coffee's for all of us..

DH & I normally have a cocktail around 4 P.M. with our Friends in Crows Nest, (we're all late seating)..And I usually have a Baileys in coffee at dinner in lieu of dessert & DH usually has either a drink or wine at dinner..

Since we can't get our 4 star discount on the Beverage card on coffee, will plan to use our Room Key for coffee.. However, for the average of two drinks per day for DH & I, have decided to purchase a $250 Beverage card in advance, which will eliminate all those extra receipts..

Now here is my question:

Am I correct in assuming that If we don't use the entire $250 ;) the unused portion will be refunded?

Don't forget what was posted earlier: the discount isn't given when the Beverage Card is used. Only the cabin card will get the discount applied.

So, when your daughter orders her flavored coffees, she needs to use her cabin card to pay for them in order to get the discount.

Thanks ,for this information. I won't bother with the beverage cards. We are on a 7 day cruise, so I can track the purchases easliy enough.