Connect computer DVD to in room TV

dockman

I'm partial to ordering from Amazon. The Mediabridge and/or AmazonBasics cables work well. Since we're Amazon Prime customers we get 2-day shipping included.

That works too. Main point is avoid the big box stores.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I am normally a Holland America passenger and they have DVD players in all rooms on all ships along with a library of 1000 or so DVDs that they loan you for free to watch in your room.

I have a dvd recorder at home and like to record a lot of jeopardy and cash cab and then watch them when I have time and can fast forward through all the commercials.

Somebody other than me must enjoy in room dvds or I doubt Holland would provide such an extensive library along with players.

We also enjoy watching DVD's. When we've sailed in suites, I just move the DVD player from the sitting area to the TV across from the bed. The times we've sailed in a mini, I brought a portable player and used composite hook ups.

The one issue will be when you sail on the Royal or Regal as they have those new TV's where hook ups do not work (at least they didn't for me). I even brought a portable BR player with HDMI cables. While the remote was disabled, I was able to use the input control on the TV to switch between the different HDMI hook ups. Alas, it still didn't work. I've also heard that Princess slowly plans to put the new TV's on non Royal/Regal ships. This will be a real bummer as even in the suites there won't be a DVD player.....:(:(:(

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

The issue, once you can access the HDMI input on the TV, is changing the inputs. Nothing on the remote in the cabin will allow it. We travel with an inexpensive Universal Remote. Bring the guide that comes with it, too, as every TV we've ever encountered on a ship was listed in our guide. We simply type in the code and we can easily change inputs to, in our case, a laptop computer comtaining our video content.

Sailing Soon Again, that's what you need...an HDMI cable from Best Buy or pretty much any drugstore. We bought one 12 feet long because we were afraid 6 feet might be too stretched. Just plug it into your device and the other end into the back of the TV.

ETA: we could watch iTunes content from my laptop on the TV but had to change the volume on my laptop. Don't know why that was but it wasn't a huge issue.

Thank you for the great explanation. It sounds like something even I should be able to manage. Next stop is to check out Amazon and Best Buy for the cables. Thank you!

Thats why I like to carry my Microsoft Surface with me, does everything a laptop does, blows away most tablets, and has a wiresless dvi adapter. No bulky cables

Edited by M4dC0w

Thank you for the great explanation. It sounds like something even I should be able to manage. Next stop is to check out Amazon and Best Buy for the cables. Thank you!

When purchasing an HDMI cable please don't be taken in by the super expensive cables. It's a digital signal. If you put an inexpensive cable and an extremely expensive cable on a scope you will see the same signal. I've seen people purchase HDMI cables for $50 - $200. Ouch! There is absolutely no reason to spend that kind of money on an HDMI cable.

If it is labeled as a High Speed HDMI cable it will work exactly the same if you pay $5.99 or $500. The only reason companies are able to sell expensive HDMI cables is because they tell people they are superior and people don't know any better so they believe the hype. There is huge money in overpriced cables so there are a lot of them available but they are pointless. Google it if you are unsure. Expensive HDMI cables are nothing more than marketing hype and are a complete ripoff.

Edited by Thrak

When purchasing an HDMI cable please don't be taken in by the super expensive cables. It's a digital signal. If you put an inexpensive cable and an extremely expensive cable on a scope you will see the same signal. I've seen people purchase HDMI cables for $50 - $200. Ouch! There is absolutely no reason to spend that kind of money on an HDMI cable.

If it is labeled as a High Speed HDMI cable it will work exactly the same if you pay $5.99 or $500. The only reason companies are able to sell expensive HDMI cables is because they tell people they are superior and people don't know any better so they believe the hype. There is huge money in overpriced cables so there are a lot of them available but they are pointless. Google it if you are unsure. Expensive HDMI cables are nothing more than marketing hype and are a complete ripoff.

Agree 100%!!! Our first flat screen TV came with expensive cables which were next to useless. The connector wasn't quite the correct size and the cable constantly fell out of the television. They were replaced with Mediabridge cables from Amazon and the problem went away. When it comes to cables there is no correlation between price and quality.

...When it comes to cables there is no correlation between price and quality.
Not today anyway with most signals being digital. There was something to the more expensive cables for analog signals as shielding was more important. But totally agree that for most purposes these days 'cheaper' cables are just fine.

The issue, once you can access the HDMI input on the TV, is changing the inputs. Nothing on the remote in the cabin will allow it. We travel with an inexpensive Universal Remote. Bring the guide that comes with it, too, as every TV we've ever encountered on a ship was listed in our guide. We simply type in the code and we can easily change inputs to, in our case, a laptop computer comtaining our video content.

Sailing Soon Again, that's what you need...an HDMI cable from Best Buy or pretty much any drugstore. We bought one 12 feet long because we were afraid 6 feet might be too stretched. Just plug it into your device and the other end into the back of the TV.

ETA: we could watch iTunes content from my laptop on the TV but had to change the volume on my laptop. Don't know why that was but it wasn't a huge issue.

Now that's a post !!

Universal Remote, great idea !!. I've tried to figure out how to access the HDMI input many times on various ships and could never do it with the Princess remotes..

Gota love CC, even after all's these years it amazing how much useful stuff I still run across :)

Good Post .. Thanks

Srpilo

Can anyone confirm the brand of T.V. on the Ruby? Are they Viewsonic Monitors? And can anyone recommend a universal remote that actually worked to change the input? Thanks in advance! The wife and I enjoy watching videos we shoot, and, a night watching an adult movie sounds interesting!

Can anyone confirm the brand of T.V. on the Ruby? Are they Viewsonic Monitors? And can anyone recommend a universal remote that actually worked to change the input? Thanks in advance! The wife and I enjoy watching videos we shoot, and, a night watching an adult movie sounds interesting!

Too much information! ;):eek:

Thanks for the picture Mark.

The TV's that I've seen on the Princess Grand classes are actually not TVs but computer monitors from Viewsonic, which explains the DVI & VGA connections.

The buttons for changing the inputs are actually high up--at the top of the monitor and unfortunately are almost unreadable (black letters on black plastic). There's a menu button, channel + - buttons, volume + - buttons and other buttons for Entering/exiting your choices. After you press the menu button, you use the channel and volume buttons to move within the menu choices.

I've had luck changing the video aspect with this method as well as changing the inputs but it is still tough if you cannot see and are doing it by feel.

As for connecting the device to the computer, I've not tried it, but there are HDMI L-connectors that might make it easier if the monitor is to close to the wall. (I'm bringing mine this next cruise!)

So thanks for your tips here--I just wanted to contribute my experiences to the thread.

I always hook my computer up to the TV in the Cabin, and have never had a problem. I do bring my own connection cables. I have not YET been on one of the ships with the newer on demand TV Systems such as the Royal and Regal, but I have read that people can still hook up by disconnecting the ships box and connecting their computer in that TV input. I sometimes will play movies if we just want to relax, plus sometimes I will show off some of the pictures and movies that I captured that day as well! It is your cruise, so enjoy it any way you like!!!

To give a little visual, attached is a sample of the rear of one of the ship's TV. (Missing from the right side of the picture is a Component Video Connection of RGB plus audio RCA Jacks.) It is a little tight hooking up in the back most of the time, so I suggest doing what I do and taking a flash picture so that you can study the layout to make for easier hookup.

Happy Cruising!!! :D

Mark

Secretservices: the Princess Grand classes were all some form of Viewsonic monitor. But I've never used a remote, always the manual method (see my reply to Mark on this thread).

Very easy explanation. Imagine your HDMI port is just headphone port that also does video. To adjust volume in your headphone, you would use your computer's volume controls, right? Same idea here. Audio processor sits on the computer, and your volume controls the processor. TV just takes the signal and presents it to you in audio/video format.

Fix is to adjust your laptop for max volume, and then use your TV remote to adjust volume.

We also go on a cruise to relax and enjoy what we don't do home, but to go on a cruise and take cables and converters and extra stuff we rather stay home and watch dvd's etc and at the same time we save the money of the cruise fare.

Most of the TV's have an HDMI connection.

yes. they have a HDMI connection. usually in the back. we use wife's mirror to find them. you may have to try to move the tv a little bit - wiggle it - to get to them. but, forgot how to change the source/input? some one help us with this one.

so, connect your laptop by hdmi and watch your dvd. gives you a choice over ship tv. great idea.

Edited by jrblach

No one has mentioned availability of USB connections on the monitors on board. When we cruise in September I will take a Chromecast with me to see if I can send the screen image from the tablets we always have with us. I would use that to view our pictures taken as we travel, video, whatever.....

No one has mentioned availability of USB connections on the monitors on board. When we cruise in September I will take a Chromecast with me to see if I can send the screen image from the tablets we always have with us. I would use that to view our pictures taken as we travel, video, whatever.....

Which ship?

Even if there is a USB port, you will still need to be able to change the TV's input source somehow.