Do we have to pay for the treats in Cafe al Bacio now?

elena7seas

I am probably in the minority but I have not thought the pastries in the Cafe were really that special. Not worth the calories for me and I do like sweets. I would rather pay for the gelato or head upstairs for some hard ice cream.

You're not in a minority. Desserts and pastries on X (and many other cruise lines) are very average. If served in a land-based coffee shop or restaurant, they wouldn't stay in business. The only exception is the specialty restaurants.

You're not in a minority. Desserts and pastries on X (and many other cruise lines) are very average. If served in a land-based coffee shop or restaurant, they wouldn't stay in business. The only exception is the specialty restaurants.

For the most part they look much better than they taste. Usually bland and have a texture I don't care for. Some exceptions, but ...

Some of their desserts are wonderful. Depending on what they have, we would skip dessert in the MDR and have it there along with an Irish Coffee.

I tend to agree with you. I have had more luck at Café al Bacio than the MDR, although I am sad that they have reduced the almond paste in the almond croissants to a sliver. The almond croissants used to be full-sized and awesome when I started cruising Celebrity, and now they are not worth ordering.

I tend to agree with you. I have had more luck at Café al Bacio than the MDR, although I am sad that they have reduced the almond paste in the almond croissants to a sliver. The almond croissants used to be full-sized and awesome when I started cruising Celebrity, and now they are not worth ordering.

Before breakfast, I usually stop there for my double espresso and one of their miniature Pain au Chocolats. They could certainly put a little bit more chocolate in them. :D

Edited by Wine-O

Completely agree about the almond croissants! When we first sailed in 2008 they were one of my favorite things about X. I was so disappointed when I ordered them again on a later cruise.

Still looking for something to replace them :D

Before breakfast, I usually stop there for my double espresso and one of their miniature Pain au Chocolats. They could certainly put a little bit more chocolate in them. :D

I agree with this statement! [emoji106]🏼[emoji515][emoji477]️

I for one wouldn't be opposed to Celebrity charging for the desserts/baked goods in Cafe Al Bacio...1) because I always get the drink package so it wouldn't effect me lol 2) it would help me get my tea or coffee faster! Nothing worse than waiting for someone to decide what treat their in the mood for! LOL

We were on Elipse back in June, certainly no charrge for cakes etc. then in Cafe El Bacio. The cakes in El Bacio were exactly the same cakes that they serve in the Ocean View in the afternoon, so no way would I pay extra in El Bacio for them!

They were free on the Summit this last week. However, and this is really weird...my husband ordered a cappacino after dinner in blu and he was told by the cocktail server he needed his room key AND a photo ID. He told her he never on over 30 cruises ever had to have a photo ID to order a beverage. She said, well, you're going to need it to get off the ship tomorrow so I know you have one. We both had the premium package. She said he could get one that night but the next night he needs his photo ID. WTH was that all about?

We let it drop and just got our cappacinos at the Cafe the rest of the cruise. Didn't want to deal with her rude attitude again. We were on vacation to have a good time not deal with a nutty crew member.

They were free on the Summit this last week. However, and this is really weird...my husband ordered a cappacino after dinner in blu and he was told by the cocktail server he needed his room key AND a photo ID. He told her he never on over 30 cruises ever had to have a photo ID to order a beverage. She said, well, you're going to need it to get off the ship tomorrow so I know you have one. We both had the premium package. She said he could get one that night but the next night he needs his photo ID. WTH was that all about?

We let it drop and just got our cappacinos at the Cafe the rest of the cruise. Didn't want to deal with her rude attitude again. We were on vacation to have a good time not deal with a nutty crew member.

I'd guess that she had a problem with someone borrowing someone else's room card, perhaps she was reprimanded, so she decided to verify everyone with a policy of her own. Of course, that's not celebrity policy, especially since they have your picture available on-line if the server doubts you are you.

Of course, without pictures on the room card, how would they know if you were you or your buddy with the premium drink package? Interesting...

Edited by ghstudio

Well, if anyone in the dining area demanded that I produce a photo ID (for ANY reason), my next request would have been to have the Maitre'd come by my table for a chat. I don't look like I'm under 21, and that should be the only purpose for the staff to request anything other than my room card!

Edited by wwcruisers

I'd guess that she had a problem with someone borrowing someone else's room card, perhaps she was reprimanded, so she decided to verify everyone with a policy of her own. Of course, that's not celebrity policy, especially since they have your picture available on-line if the server doubts you are you.

Of course, without pictures on the room card, how would they know if you were you or your buddy with the premium drink package? Interesting...

Watch the staff when they ring up your orders. If they use the "package-included drink" button to ring up a drink, when they swipe your card your picture shows up on their screen and it asks the clerk to confirm that the picture matches the person with the card.

Watch the staff when they ring up your orders. If they use the "package-included drink" button to ring up a drink, when they swipe your card your picture shows up on their screen and it asks the clerk to confirm that the picture matches the person with the card.

Interesting....so the poster who was asked for an ID obviously must not have looked like himself :)

Interesting....so the poster who was asked for an ID obviously must not have looked like himself :)
But that would be more likely for a woman than for a man, since women can look entirely different with or without makeup or with a different hairstyle, while men almost always look the same (unless perhaps growing or shaving off a beard or mustache). :D

Some of their desserts are wonderful. Depending on what they have, we would skip dessert in the MDR and have it there along with an Irish Coffee.

We often do the same thing! And you can really impress your wait staff and fellow passengers with your willpower as they watch you politely decline the dessert night after night. Little do they know that Mr. and Mrs. Aurora are immediately heading to the Cafe al Bacio!

She never took his room card, just looked at it. So it couldn't be for that reason.

My hubby looks much, much older than 21 years of age. So, not that reason.

She also saw a wine glass with wine still in his glass...so he was served by the wine steward who was always running up and down the restaurant aisle. Elvas was by far the best wine steward we have had on all of the Celebrity ships.

Here's the other thing...we are elite plus. She could have simply asked us for a coupon from the coupon book.

Edited by 20pluscruises

We often do the same thing! And you can really impress your wait staff and fellow passengers with your willpower as they watch you politely decline the dessert night after night. Little do they know that Mr. and Mrs. Aurora are immediately heading to the Cafe al Bacio!

Yup. LOL. :)

"She could have simply asked us for a coupon from the coupon book."

No, because those are not valid in Blu, or any other restaurant.

This sounded odd to me, so I looked at my old coupons. Some of them - the 15% off wine and free coffee do say only valid in specialty restaurants. I had never realized there was a restriction.

But I found one that says "Specialty Coffee Complimentary tea, Coffee Cappuccino or Latte available in bars, lounges or Restaurants on board. Flavors not included" from my most recent sailing.

Maybe they've changed recently? This was from a long cruise water restricted sheet of coupons.

This sounded odd to me, so I looked at my old coupons. Some of them - the 15% off wine and free coffee do say only valid in specialty restaurants. I had never realized there was a restriction.

But I found one that says "Specialty Coffee Complimentary tea, Coffee Cappuccino or Latte available in bars, lounges or Restaurants on board. Flavors not included" from my most recent sailing.

Maybe they've changed recently? This was from a long cruise water restricted sheet of coupons.

Found my coupon from last week...says the exact same...bars, lounges and restaurants, flavors not included.

I have no idea why she wanted a photo ID. ????????????

We were on the same cruise last year and our Am Ex card had $48,000 in fraud charges. NO WAY were we going to give our ID to ANYONE who was able to walk away with it in their possession. Before anyone gives me grief...we still feel it was an excursion we booked off the ship. But you just don't know.

And yes, we were not responsible for the charges, but had to go through a lot of crap to get the card reinstated. We almost had to send someone's first born to get the darn thing reinstated.

Edited by 20pluscruises

We were on the same cruise last year and our Am Ex card had $48,000 in fraud charges. NO WAY were we going to give our ID to ANYONE who was able to walk away with it in their possession. Before anyone gives me grief...we still feel it was an excursion we booked off the ship. But you just don't know.

And yes, we were not responsible for the charges, but had to go through a lot of crap to get the card reinstated. We almost had to send someone's first born to get the darn thing reinstated.

I'm on my 3rd amex this year, and 2 United Mastercards. I've gotten notices from target, Anthem Blue Cross, My Travel Agent, Home Depot, and I can't remember how many other places about stolen data.

I basically just expect it anymore. Worst part is remembering to update various travel sites with new card details. I just did a final payment for example for my upcoming, and my TA let me know the card declined, it had been replaced. Thank god she gives a week ahead of time for me to redo it.

And I live in a combo residence/hotel building, so hotel keeps card on file for in-house charges. 2 months in a row the had to call me down to give new card. Luckily they understand, but still looks kind of bad 2 months in a row declined card!

I use a finance program called Mint that lets me easily see all activity in all my accounts in one place, it's run by Quicken. Immediately when a card is charged, a notice comes over. Apple Pay does the same thing with any registered card. As soon as I charge in a grocery tore, within seconds, I get a BING on my phone, even if I didn't use Apple Pay but swiped the card. So now I can tell immediately the moment a fraudulent charge happens instead of a day or two or a week later.

I'm on my 3rd amex this year, and 2 United Mastercards. I've gotten notices from target, Anthem Blue Cross, My Travel Agent, Home Depot, and I can't remember how many other places about stolen data.

I basically just expect it anymore. Worst part is remembering to update various travel sites with new card details. I just did a final payment for example for my upcoming, and my TA let me know the card declined, it had been replaced. Thank god she gives a week ahead of time for me to redo it.

And I live in a combo residence/hotel building, so hotel keeps card on file for in-house charges. 2 months in a row the had to call me down to give new card. Luckily they understand, but still looks kind of bad 2 months in a row declined card!

I use a finance program called Mint that lets me easily see all activity in all my accounts in one place, it's run by Quicken. Immediately when a card is charged, a notice comes over. Apple Pay does the same thing with any registered card. As soon as I charge in a grocery tore, within seconds, I get a BING on my phone, even if I didn't use Apple Pay but swiped the card. So now I can tell immediately the moment a fraudulent charge happens instead of a day or two or a week later.

We now do the same. It's great! We went one step further and did a credit security freeze.