Do we have to pay for the treats in Cafe al Bacio now?

elena7seas

We now do the same. It's great! We went one step further and did a credit security freeze.

I did that as well with one of the companies options when I got the letters.

What that also did is make it impossible for me to get tax documents and such from the IRS website, I have to fill out forms and mail in and wait for return mail when I need a transcript or proof of quarterly payments, because they access credit records to verify me. OH YEAH, what about the IRS and Federal government data breaches. Ugh. no one is safe.

I did that as well with one of the companies options when I got the letters.

What that also did is make it impossible for me to get tax documents and such from the IRS website, I have to fill out forms and mail in and wait for return mail when I need a transcript or proof of quarterly payments, because they access credit records to verify me. OH YEAH, what about the IRS and Federal government data breaches. Ugh. no one is safe.

Damn quarterlys! Pain in the a$$! We now have a reminder on both phones after almost being late one quarter.

OMG! My neighbor had a fraudulent tax refund filed. It was caught because the idiot scammer filed a tax statement with a much too low income.

Some of their desserts are wonderful. Depending on what they have, we would skip dessert in the MDR and have it there along with an Irish Coffee.

Bar none...the best lemon meringue pie in my entire life on the Century last year was served in the Cova Café but saw similar items on the S-class ships at Café Al Bacio. I am not even a big sweet tooth but when they get it this right, I am in my little heaven. :)

I'd guess that she had a problem with someone borrowing someone else's room card, perhaps she was reprimanded, so she decided to verify everyone with a policy of her own. Of course, that's not celebrity policy, especially since they have your picture available on-line if the server doubts you are you.

Of course, without pictures on the room card, how would they know if you were you or your buddy with the premium drink package? Interesting...

Because they can bring up your photograph on the computer terminal. There should be no need to produce photo id on board the ship in normal circumstances. The only time I have known them to be required is for a bridge tour where, of course, there is not a convenient terminal on which to view your photograph.

But back to the subject of this thread, no one is directly reporting that X is charging for El Bacio sweets if not ordering a drink, but only that another person told them that, and all other posts say the same thing that this isn't occurring so I'd guess we can relax on this issue.

We got off in June and all was normal. And I personally enjoy the pastries. Unfortunately, I'll be backing off of them on our next adventure in order to keep the weight down.

Got it back under control after reducing the carbs and sugar, which I assume everyone of those babies is crammed full of. But don't worry, I'm sure I'll cheat a bit and sneak a few!

Den

Because of the totally undrinkable coffee in Blu on our cruise, I would order a cappuccino with my breakfast and the waiter took my card down to Cafe al Bacio.

The cakes and pastries in both there and the buffet were tasteless. Dreadfull.

I do like a cookie though. Shame that they only had the oat and raisin one for the first two days. Had to make up my calorie count with prosecco.

But back to the subject of this thread, no one is directly reporting that X is charging for El Bacio sweets if not ordering a drink, but only that another person told them that, and all other posts say the same thing that this isn't occurring so I'd guess we can relax on this issue.

We got off in June and all was normal. And I personally enjoy the pastries. Unfortunately, I'll be backing off of them on our next adventure in order to keep the weight down.

Got it back under control after reducing the carbs and sugar, which I assume everyone of those babies is crammed full of. But don't worry, I'm sure I'll cheat a bit and sneak a few!

Den

I've noticed this subject come up every few months for the last couple of years. In the past nothing has really come of it.

The choices can be real hit & miss, some of them great, others blah. We had really good coconut cream pie and also good carrot cake on our last cruise on Equinox. The B & W cookies were awful. Yet I've heard others praise the B & W's. I do love the white chocolate macadamia cookies, one of my favorites. For the most part I did feel the choices there were an improvement on the ones in the past, and mainly better than the buffet choices.

I've noticed this subject come up every few months for the last couple of years. In the past nothing has really come of it.

The choices can be real hit & miss, some of them great, others blah. We had really good coconut cream pie and also good carrot cake on our last cruise on Equinox. The B & W cookies were awful. Yet I've heard others praise the B & W's. I do love the white chocolate macadamia cookies, one of my favorites. For the most part I did feel the choices there were an improvement on the ones in the past, and mainly better than the buffet choices.

I didn't think they were anything special either. very bland tasting. But I can't tell you how many times I've been waiting in line and someone comes up and orders 3 or 4 of them at a time. Its crazy!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. Busy week!

I contacted my friend who was on the Infinity, and this is what she said:

1. She and her friends only tried to get the treats in Café al Bacio once, as they didn't go back once they were told you couldn't get the treats unless you purchased a beverage (they are not big coffee or tea drinkers).

2. There were no charges "listed". She's not even sure that you COULD buy the pastries, i.e. if you weren't buying a beverage, you just couldn't have the pastries. (My apologies...I didn't ask her enough questions initially to get that information.)

3. You definitely couldn't get the treats unless you bought a beverage. The server said specifically, "any of the coffee drinks at Café al Bacio or alcoholic drinks". My friend wasn't sure if you had an alcoholic drink from another bar if that would qualify.

4. It didn't matter whether you were paying for your drink with your sea pass card, or if you had a beverage package, you were still entitled to the treats.

5. She thinks perhaps that so many people have beverage packages that there would be very few instances of people being refused, but she and her fellow cruisers definitely were.

Personally, I have absolutely no doubt that this occurred on the Infinity, because this friend is a travel agent and she knows Celebrity ships well. I have 100% confidence that what she told me is true. But as Denny01 says, you are only getting this information secondhand, and there has been only one other post that has mentioned anything at all in support of this having occurred, so we'll just have to leave it and see what happens.

My best guess is this was a trial run of some description to control the number of guests taking up space in a congested area who are not generating any revenue. I'm hoping it's a "once and done".

This thread is very interesting. My parents are recently off the Summit and spent a lot of their time in Café al Bacio... when they returned they mentioned to me that in speaking w/ one of the barista's on board she mentioned that there was talk of Celebrity beginning to charge for pastries in al Balcio to patrons who did not purchase a coffee/tea/beverage.

I wanted to bring it up earlier when they had mentioned it to me but it sounded odd to me so I never did. Very interesting that someone else had this experience.

Denny, this is the post I was referring to above. It is the only post on this thread that lends any support to what my friend reported.

When they were free, I chose not to eat the pastries. The B & W cookies were tasteless. Others were not much better in my opinion. No way will I purchase any there when there are much better options on the ship.

When they were free, I chose not to eat the pastries. The B & W cookies were tasteless. Others were not much better in my opinion. No way will I purchase any there when there are much better options on the ship.

and the cakes were SO dry. Sorry, including the coconut cake. Awful really

Edited by 20pluscruises

Our coffees, teas are included in our perks package, and we always sit and relax with a nice biscotti to go with it...no charge. On Ref in Nov, cafe Baccio was overrun in the afternoon with folks taking out coffees and treats....seems everyone was on a package......or getting the goodies at no cost.

if a person does not order tea, coffee , etc. I suppose the server gets no tip for just handing out cookies, cakes?.??????,

• 2 years later...

Hi I have a question for anyone who has recently been on the Celebrity Solstice, I saw a video on the Solstice that some young lady had took and it showed a Donut Bar with all these beautiful donuts, well my question is do they still have it on the Solstice and is it free.

I love Donuts especially the Pineapple ones.

Thanks

Thank you Lov Botswana for your quick response to my Donut bar query. Did the Solstice have a Donut counter where they have all the different types of donuts from cholcolate with sprinkles to pineapple donuts. I don't know if the counter was in the buffet or another area of the ship.

Thanks again

Returned from Millie a few weeks ago and did notice a 'pastry menu' on the counter and upon opening it I saw pricing for various pastries, but did not think about it any further as I was not ordering pastries there anyway, BUT the one who must be obeyed was in Cafe al Bacio several times and I can prove it with several charges to the account.

Albeit, could be from the Gelateria, but did not ask as it was only five (5) charges ranging from $2.75 to $7.30... what could I say, we are on vacation and budgeted for indulgences like this.. or shall I say, I budgeted for it. LOL

bon voyage