Tampering with breakfast hang tag

The great thing about HAL room service breakfast is that they bend over backwards to give you what you want, even if you write different items on the card.

I would very much doubt that if they went to TV ordering they would have a freeform box.

I think a secure box in a few locations is so much better. Less work for the person collecting them, less room for loss and of course less room for those wicked children:D

Edited by richarduk

Yes, you should have. And then you could have cried out (in a theatrically frail voice), "Oh my gosh! Your kids almost knocked me down!"

As a matter of fact, they did. More than once by 4:00 PM on their embarkation day. From there on out I didn't step out of my cabin without practicing the old "Stop, Look, & Listen" routine---stop, peek out the door to look for them, and listen for the thunder of their running feet. :rolleyes:

But once they gained on me, they were not about to get past---my cane and I know how to fill up a passageway. To keep my balance, of course. ;)

While in college I was in a 500+ person food fight. Now that was waste of food and not so good for the facility.

igraf

I fail to see not liking the wasting of food with a lack of a sense of humour. I guess that's a way to justify childish and juvenile behaviour:D.
Edited by igraf

As a matter of fact, they did. More than once by 4:00 PM on their embarkation day. From there on out I didn't step out of my cabin without practicing the old "Stop, Look, & Listen" routine---stop, peek out the door to look for them, and listen for the thunder of their running feet. :rolleyes:

But once they gained on me, they were not about to get past---my cane and I know how to fill up a passageway. To keep my balance, of course. ;)

Of course it was to keep your balance. Very sensible on a moving ship. Good for you! :D

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The great thing about HAL room service breakfast is that they bend over backwards to give you what you want, even if you write different items on the card.

I would very much doubt that if they went to TV ordering they would have a freeform box.

Exactly. Also there's the speed issue. I can order our breakfast in under a minute using the card. There's no way the interactive TV could compete.

Turn on TV.

Press room service button.

Select breakfast.

Choose omelets.

Select eggs, not egg whites.

Press omelet fillings.

Choose cheese.

Select Cheddar.

And so on....

At this point, the hang tag users have been asleep for 15 minutes. (I'm a former Bell Labs systems engineer. I can state with authority that sometimes manual processes are better. Way better.) :)

Edited by POA1

Exactly. Also there's the speed issue. I can order our breakfast in under a minute using the card. There's no way the interactive TV could compete.

Turn on TV.

Press room service button.

Select breakfast.

Choose omelets.

Select eggs, not egg whites.

Press omelet fillings.

Choose cheese.

Select Cheddar.

And so on....

At this point, the hang tag users have been asleep for 15 minutes. (I'm a former Bell Labs systems engineer. I can state with authority that sometimes manual processes are better. Way better.) :)

I'm tired, just reading all that! (Which Labs did you work at?)

I'm tired, just reading all that! (Which Labs did you work at?)

Holmdel & Middletown for Bell Labs. Bridgewater, Piscataway, and Basking Ridge for AT&T Labs (post Lucent spin off.)

Ooh, you worked at the Basking Ridge "Taj Mahal!" (It's Verizon now)

Sorry. I forgot Bedminster. It's been a while. I liked Middletown the best, but we lived in Princeton, so commute was awful.

From there on out I didn't step out of my cabin without practicing the old "Stop, Look, & Listen" routine---stop, peek out the door to look for them, and listen for the thunder of their running feet. :rolleyes:)

One of my few advantages of being sumo wrestler sized: kid runs into me, kid falls down, I may or may not notice :)

One of my few advantages of being sumo wrestler sized: kid runs into me, kid falls down, I may or may not notice :)

Good play! Wish we all could manage that one.

One of the kids smashed into a friend outside the Lido, and fell. Then, not learning a thing, managed to smash into him again when he was coming back from the hamburger bar. :rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned having obnoxious and undisciplined children around is in the same category as smoking or having a large group on board that monopolizes public rooms. A real deal breaker for me. What happened to Club Hal and the nice staff of young people they had on board that kept the children occupied and monitored? Has this gone by the wayside as a part of cost cutting? Say it isn't so.

As far as I am concerned having obnoxious and undisciplined children around is in the same category as smoking or having a large group on board that monopolizes public rooms. A real deal breaker for me. What happened to Club Hal and the nice staff of young people they had on board that kept the children occupied and monitored? Has this gone by the wayside as a part of cost cutting? Say it isn't so.

Club HAL is there as is the LOFT if parents choose to use it.

The stories of evil children prevail but it is really the parents who are the root of the problem.

It's sad thaat we hear about children in this context,

We had the pleasure to cruise with 1of4 with her 4of4 on the Westerdam. She was very nervous about her children being on tours, etc. because she didn't want to upset the R/C. the R/C told her they were welcome.

Well, folks, two more charming children you will never meet. It went beyond well behaved. They were excellent travellers and a joy to be with.

So, children aren't a bad thing. If they are raised by wolves, they are. If they are raised by parents that teach them about things, they are a real joy.

In our experience, all of the cruise lines allow you to 'write' in something (and receive it next morning) that is not on the preprinted card. At least this has been our experience on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and RCI. Cannot remember on NCL or Carnival.

Edited by iancal

Club HAL is there as is the LOFT if parents choose to use it.

The stories of evil children prevail but it is really the parents who are the root of the problem.

It's sad thaat we hear about children in this context,

We had the pleasure to cruise with 1of4 with her 4of4 on the Westerdam. She was very nervous about her children being on tours, etc. because she didn't want to upset the R/C. the R/C told her they were welcome.

Well, folks, two more charming children you will never meet. It went beyond well behaved. They were excellent travellers and a joy to be with.

So, children aren't a bad thing. If they are raised by wolves, they are. If they are raised by parents that teach them about things, they are a real joy.

Please note that I said obnoxious and undisciplined children.

In our experience, all of the cruise lines allow you to 'write' in something (and receive it next morning) that is not on the preprinted card. At least this has been our experience on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and RCI. Cannot remember on NCL or Carnival.

I believe the point that was made is that you can't do that if you order on TV. I don't think anyone said that you couldn't write it on the card.

I believe the point that was made is that you can't do that if you order on TV. I don't think anyone said that you couldn't write it on the card.

Maybe you write in your special orders on the TV screen - like Winky Dink.

This is some serious Wayback Machine stuff, and it was in reruns before I ever saw it, as the program ran on CBS from 1955 through 1957. It was rebooted in the 60s, which is where I saw it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winky_Dink_and_You

Ironically, we were told - as children - to sit at least 6 feet from the TV because of the radiation. Yet here was a show that encouraged us to sidle up to the TV and draw on the screen. (Lost a lot of friends to this. The rest were killed from not wearing helmets while jumping their bikes Evel Knievel style, or from the string of death that we used to tighten the hoods of our jackets.)

VdjFw31u1Cg

AfZGcWGvnuI

Edited by POA1
Reboot wouldn't have made any sense 50+ years ago. It probably had something to do with shoes.

When I am on vacation I don't want to order electronically... and I would hate if cruise lines to to waiter with electronic devices in the MDR. :eek:

It's just a matter of time before all dining venues go electronic. I've seen it used in several land based restaurants and it's quite efficient.

The waiters said they love it.

This is some serious Wayback Machine stuff, and it was in reruns before I ever saw it, as the program ran on CBS from 1955 through 1957. It was rebooted in the 60s, which is where I saw it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winky_Dink_and_You

Ironically, we were told - as children - to sit at least 6 feet from the TV because of the radiation. Yet here was a show that encouraged us to sidle up to the TV and draw on the screen. (Lost a lot of friends to this. The rest were killed from not wearing helmets while jumping their bikes Evel Knievel style, or from the string of death that we used to tighten the hoods of our jackets.)

VdjFw31u1Cg

AfZGcWGvnuI

That's hillarious. I've never heard of this show before today and I'm older then you.

It's just a matter of time before all dining venues go electronic. I've seen it used in several land based restaurants and it's quite efficient.

But, at one national steakhouse chain, their IPad Wine List is usually a royal pain to use. If I choose to spend $40 on a bottle of their wine that could be purchased at my local wine store for $16.99, why do they "make" me work so hard to do so? Thankfully, a printed wine list is still a part of the printed menu.

No disrespect to HAL's programmers, but do you really want electronic ordering? At the rate they've been adding winter 2016 itineraries to the website, it's entirely possible that you'll be able to order breakfast - and only breakfast.

Note: If you are reading this sometime long after August 6, 2015, it might not make any sense.

Yet here was a show that encouraged us to sidle up to the TV and draw on the screen.

Um, you weren't supposed to write directly on the screen (this got you in big trouble with your father) but on the Saran Wrap-like material that Jack Barry would sell you to place over the screen...

And it will continue to expand, exponentially, in land based restaurants as the minimum wage continues to increase. But whether this moves to cruise ships is in the waves :). Celebrity already uses Ipads for menus in their alternative Qsine venue (we love this place) but it really does not replace the waiter who is at your side to explain the electronic menu and make suggestions.

Hank

And it will continue to expand, exponentially, in land based restaurants as the minimum wage continues to increase. McDonalds is already starting to replace employees with ordering kiosks and this is just the beginning. When the cost of labor exceeds the cost of electronics the labor is going to lose. But whether this moves to cruise ships is in the waves :). Celebrity already uses Ipads for menus in their alternative Qsine venue (we love this place) but it really does not replace the waiter who is at your side to explain the electronic menu and make suggestions.

Hank