Any way to private message?

Fish Lover

You can post this code in your Signature which will allow folks to email you:

URL="mailto:EMAIL ADDRESS HERE"]Email Me![/url

• NOTE: You have to add [ to the very front and ] to the very end of that code, I had to remove them so the syntax would display.

It will then display in your signature simply as Email Me!

• 1 month later...
The OP asked about how to PM or communicate with others. Does someone ever want to do that and be anonymous?

Of course. The point is that there is no way to give your email address just to the person you want to see it, rather than share it with everyone in the world.

vBulletin is capable of both private messaging on a site and of sending email to other members without disclosing the email addresses publicly. It would be useful if either/both were enabled here.

Of course. The point is that there is no way to give your email address just to the person you want to see it, rather than share it with everyone in the world.

vBulletin is capable of both private messaging on a site and of sending email to other members without disclosing the email addresses publicly. It would be useful if either/both were enabled here.

You are talking about something completely different which I agree is a good idea. The OP was not talking about posting on this board - but posting while on board the ship.

Agree vbulletin great for using on this board.

Edited by az_tchr

I love the private meassage option on Trip Advisor. Wish CC would do the same. CC is owned by Trip Advisor.

I use the same moniker on both sites.

Have had CC members email me through TA.

On roll call, I have talked to others through email when planning a private tour.

I would not post it in this forum.

You are talking about something completely different which I agree is a good idea. The OP was not talking about posting on this board - but posting while on board the ship.

Agree vbulletin great for using on this board.

Suggest you re-read the first message on the thread: "on the board" not "on board".

Stuart

Don't post your email on here, you leave yourself totally open.

There are tons and tons of people on here who have their email listed

in their signatures.....that is nothing new.

There are tons and tons of people on here who have their email listed

in their signatures.....that is nothing new.

It still isn't a great idea. There are tons of 'crawlers' that search internet code for "@" and grab the addresses. Sure, spam arrives via many means, so why provide another one?

I like to say things that crawlers can't determine, like "My first name at yahoo". That way the right people can figure it out. NOTE: This is not my email, just an example.

Sort of like people on Craigslist who type out their phone numbers as "21two, 5five5, 101three" to prevent bots from harvesting data.

It still isn't a great idea. There are tons of 'crawlers' that search internet code for "@" and grab the addresses. Sure, spam arrives via many means, so why provide another one?

I like to say things that crawlers can't determine, like "My first name at yahoo". That way the right people can figure it out. NOTE: This is not my email, just an example.

Sort of like people on Craigslist who type out their phone numbers as "21two, 5five5, 101three" to prevent bots from harvesting data.

I was just making a comment....it is up to the individual if they want to

have their email listed on here. I am not disagreeing with you.....just

saying lots of folks have some type of email listed.

I've used forums since the days of bulletin boards on dial up. This is the only one I have been a member on that does not permit PMs. Disappointing. I'm sure that causes some members to leave for competitors.

Yep. (I used to run BBS's). The worst part is it's basically to keep people from sharing travel agent info, so it's all about $$. They also do stone-age levels of URL filtering. I don't expect this to change--or for cruise line's sites to become less technically inept--until the Milennial generation hits their cruising years. Then they'll start losing people to sites I can't name because they are, you guessed it, filtered.

Edited by perditax

Trip advisor allows you to send private messages and also ask questions to those who review a property. CC should do the same.

Back when Cruise Critic was an AOL board, you were able to send emails directly.

One can always set up an email for Cruise Critic only.