4 in suite - Luminae?

andnosyd

I concur as well about illegally sneaking people into Luminae..

Taking it a step further, I wouldn't take someone into Blu who isn't supposed to eat there either.

TO call it Illegal is a BIT of a stretch....No one is going to the brig.

I appreciate all the thoughts, but unless someone explains to me why I pay for 2 and only get benefit for 1, the arguments will be lost. It's that simple.

These boards are as much about taking advantage of the system as they are about anything else. No one gets upset when people post about tipping bartenders and getting preferential treatment or stronger pours (i.e. paying the bartender to steal from his employer). People post about getting eggs benedict for room service no charge even though its not on the menu.

And I'm not sure how you can say bending the rules for one thing is OK but bending the rules on another thing is not. Both are bending the rules.

That one has a preference for a lax dress code and sees fit that that a bend is acceptable, but not for admission to venues, that people have paid the privilege of, does not have any sort of logic to the argument. That's why I am lost in the argument.

Some will skirt rules others will not, it's not going to ruin anyones experience wither way. Let the law of averages even the field.

And as I've stated, Maitre'd has allowed it knowingly in specialties, and Hotel Director determined the policy was also not right. So again, I'll go with following the guidance of ship side staff to opinions of internet forums.

To each their own. We know what side I fall on, and I'll et each determine where they fall on.

But logic needs applied in both situations, not one or the other.

The question really is did one get what they paid for. They paid for XXX number of dinners in Luminae or Blu. SO long as they don't exceed the number paid for, I have no issue with it.

If more solo travelers started standing up, perhaps some of the solo penalties would go away over time.

Edited by cle-guy

I appreciate all the thoughts, but unless someone explains to me why I pay for 2 and only get benefit for 1, the arguments will be lost. It's that simple.

This is exactly my issue. I'm paying full adult fare for my 1 year old, yet getting virtually no benefit from eating at Luminae.

I can see Curt's scenario falling apart when a drink or wine is ordered and the sea pass cards of the non suite guests are presented. This might raise questions. Also, allowing friends to replace you because you choose to eat in the MDR one evening would also raise questions. In a restaurant the size of Luminae the staff quickly recognizes the guests. The friends would not be recognized and would have to present a sea pass card showing them to be in a balcony cabin.

This is really an interesting dilemma, one of those "where should they draw the line?" situations.

When a couple books a suite, they are paying for two dinners in Luminae every night. If we decide to have dinner on shore one night, should we then be allowed to give those two Luminae dinners, for which we have already paid, to other passengers?

When we received specialty restaurant dinner vouchers from a TA, we were allowed to give those away to other passengers to use.

But under current policy that is not allowed in either Luminae or Blu, just as a single passenger who has already paid for 2 dinners is not allowed to bring a second non-suite person to dinner in Luminae without paying an additional fee.

Logically we may argue that we should be entitled to receive the number of dinners for which we have paid to use however we wish.

However, if we are not going to use them all ourselves and are permitted to give them to non-suite or non-aqua passengers, then that could create new problems.

I am often a solo suite passenger and not surprisingly I agree with Curt.

Earlier this year I sailed solo in a Royal Suite, and my mom, also alone was in a balcony room. I tried to get her into breakfast with me and was told no. I did escalate it pretty far and got nowhere.

Here are the numbers - from what I can recall. I paid $14,000 for the two rooms, and I could eat at a table for two facing an empty chair. And a couple paying $6,000 in a Sky Suite could eat in the restaurant. Doesn't seem very customer friendly, or smart, to me, and to to answer a question from another thread, this is a reason why a line like Crystal or Regent makes more sense to some of us. For the same cruise fare, a leisurely no-hassle breakfast. In the end I ate with her in the MDR, but I still feel bad about this.

Yes, and it could on on forever.

When you purchase a Suite you get the suite. You are given the privilege of eating in Luminae because you purchased the suite. You get dinner every night, just like every other guest, but because and only because you booked a suite you may eat in Luminae. You did not "buy" the right to give those dinners to others.

You did not "buy" the right to allow someone else to go to Michael's Club just because you do not want to go that day, or that time of the day.

Now I do agree with Curt as to the problem with a solo cruiser. They did pay for themselves and another person in the Suite, even though there is not one. That is a whole separate issue. In this case the Suite owner is just not giving his "rights" to eat in Luminae to someone else, someone is joining him in the restaurant, just as the roommate would.

But again, I do feel that the issue the OP presented and the issue regarding solo cruisers are separate and distinct issues......

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

When you are in a Michael's Club suite you are told: tell us what we can do to make this a great cruise for you. And then you tell them something that you paid for, and it wouldn't disadvantage anyone to give it to you, and it is pretty simple, no crew would have to jump through hoops to make it happen, and you are told "no". And the person being told "no" is exactly the passenger that you have created an entire program for, and spent millions in advertising, to get on board.

Who exactly wins in this situation?

When you are in a Michael's Club suite you are told: tell us what we can do to make this a great cruise for you. And then you tell them something that you paid for, and it wouldn't disadvantage anyone to give it to you, and it is pretty simple, no crew would have to jump through hoops to make it happen, and you are told "no". And the person being told "no" is exactly the passenger that you have created an entire program for, and spent millions in advertising, to get on board.

Who exactly wins in this situation?

They say no to what question?

Is the OP in a penthouse suite by any chance? Last week we were on the Constellation in a PH (fantastic btw) and the butler told us that the management at headquarters tells the crew that whatever the PH "top suite" wants, to just make it happen. It's not rocket science, and if it makes your top suite guests happy then to do it. So if that's the case, maybe talk to the Michaels Club concierge about your thoughts on toddlers not using their meals in Luminae and subbing in other guests. It's worth a try.

Also, what Curt said is spot on. I would be surprised if you were questioned at the entrance, but a problem may arise when your guests need to pay for their wine with dinner.

Perhaps because this discussion was preceded by some advice to attempt to push into a bridge tour without an invitation, there is some hesitation to follow the advice to bring guests who are not supposed to be dining in the suite restaurant without having them pay the fee?

So if my wife has paid for an unlimited drink package and is not feeling well one day and wants to stay in bed can she let her sister that doesn't have a drink package use it that day? After all, she's paid for it, and it's unlimited.

Isn't OP saying they have paid for 4 people in a suite, which means they get dinner for 4 people in Luminae.

They want to Take 4 people to Luminae for dinner.

yes I know the "rule" is "Dinner for all suite guests occupying the suite", but in reality, they don't scan all 4 sea pass cards, they just ask for room number, see that room has 4 in it and off you go....

I think from a practical perspective, it may work, just show up as a group of 4, show 1 seapass card and in you go to enjoy dinner for 4, which you have paid for. Unless they paid a different fare for youngsters as the 3rd and 4th PAX than they would have for adults as 3rd and 4th PAX, I have no ethical problem with this.

I can see where the OP is coming from, being a solo traveler who often gets ticked off I paid for 2 yet get benefit for one. I say give it a whirl, and report back.

Top add a nit of "real world experience"to this, on my Connie TA this spring, a group of went to Tuscan one night, some on RS who were using their specialty dinner option. One of them didn't go, and matter d let a guest use it and not charge them.

Before suite perks, when I'd sail solo, in specialties, they would give me 4 dinners (when the rule 1 was 2 dinners or 4 per cabin, not 1 or 2 per guest in the suite) so one night I went with 2 friends, and they let them use my 2 specialty dinners leaving me 1 left over.. SO there is in fact precedent for such an arrangement.

They generally don't swipe cards, just verify room number.

Also faces don't come up automatically, they have to press some more buttons if they want to see faces, so don't do it very often. Faces pop up on the security kiosks automatically entering and leaving the ship, but not automatically in the F&B outlets

However Michaels Club does get a printout of faces and names and cabins that they refer to at the bar in there.

LOOK AT MY POST AGIAN< I edited with my "real world" exploitation of specialties....

That all assumes that they swipe your card at all and bring up photographs. We never showed our card at all when we went to Luminae. They knew who we were the first time we arrived without having to show a card. I assumed that they try to learn the faces in advance as they do in Michael's Club.

The only time we saw anyone show a card on arrival at Luminae was when they arrived, for the first time, late in a 17-night cruise [when the receptionist could have been forgiven for forgetting faces learned for the start of the cruise].

Edited by Project_gal

There are a couple of separate issues here.

Solo cruisers, suite or otherwise, do get quite a raw deal and I do think that needs looking into...

In terms of the initial op's question I feel that Celebrity's viewpoint would simply be you make one exception......example parents and children in a suite, grandparents in a regular cabin, they could use the same argument and follow it through into access to Michael's. One of the two couples on children duty and one enjoying suite perks. They have strict rules to avoid people wanting to be exceptions. We know about these rules when we book.

When we booked suites and had young children we often did not get the 'value for money' in terms of conceirge lounge use etc but we had the bigger room, fast check in....We made a choice, as you have, to pay a set amount knowing that some things we were technically paying for would be underused.

To be honest, perhaps you have with your friends made a mistake booking into different room types. Could your friends upgrade to a suite? Or if you do not feel you are going to get the value of being in a suite this cruise could you look at swapping to a family cabin? I don't want to appear hard or unfeeling but I honestly think what you are suggesting will not be seen as acceptable by Celebrity.

There are a couple of separate issues here.

Solo cruisers, suite or otherwise, do get quite a raw deal and I do think that needs looking into...

In terms of the initial op's question I feel that Celebrity's viewpoint would simply be you make one exception......example parents and children in a suite, grandparents in a regular cabin, they could use the same argument and follow it through into access to Michael's. One of the two couples on children duty and one enjoying suite perks. They have strict rules to avoid people wanting to be exceptions. We know about these rules when we book.

When we booked suites and had young children we often did not get the 'value for money' in terms of conceirge lounge use etc but we had the bigger room, fast check in....We made a choice, as you have, to pay a set amount knowing that some things we were technically paying for would be underused.

To be honest, perhaps you have with your friends made a mistake booking into different room types. Could your friends upgrade to a suite? Or if you do not feel you are going to get the value of being in a suite this cruise could you look at swapping to a family cabin? I don't want to appear hard or unfeeling but I honestly think what you are suggesting will not be seen as acceptable by Celebrity.

or dont have specific restaurants for specific room types. they could always give away meals in speciality restaurants for higher categories. this wont happen of course [emoji15]

Stayed in a suite in June and not worth the (double) price compared to a balcony cabin IMHO [emoji41]

Perhaps you can book the four adults into the suite....and book the kids in their own room next door or across the hall (rules). Once on board, you can just change rooms...and even get cards to the real rooms you'll be using.

Perhaps you can book the four adults into the suite....and book the kids in their own room next door or across the hall (rules). Once on board, you can just change rooms...and even get cards to the real rooms you'll be using.
They're Toddlers..Celebrity requires that at least one person in each cabin is 21 or older, though I know families do switch the cards. Our 23 yo DD is in a suite with us this cruise...should we send her to the buffet one night so we can substitute our friend in AQ? I don't think so.:rolleyes:

They're Toddlers..Celebrity requires that at least one person in each cabin is 21 or older, though I know families do switch the cards. Our 23 yo DD is in a suite with us this cruise...should we send her to the buffet one night so we can substitute our friend in AQ? I don't think so.:rolleyes:

The rules also allow toddlers to stay in an adjacent room or one directly across the hall without someone over 21. This is confusing....your DD and two toddlers are all in a suite with you (assuming you are a couple since you said "us")....and your friends are in another cabin?

Comparing Curt's sailing solo issues is NOT the same as what the OP is asking. So the OP is wishing to substitute in their non-suite friends under the claim that their young children will not benefit from Luminea. So does this mean that they will NEVER take their children in for breakfast or lunch either? I doubt it. In my mind this is trying to scam the system. How about I claim that my spouse is a super light eater and therefore I should get to bring a non suite friend in because they barely eat either and therefore their two meals would only equal one. Otherwise I am not getting the benefit of the suite that I booked and paid for. :cool:

Ridiculous!

Sorry but if people want to eat in Luninea either book a suite or be the paying guest of someone who is. To start trying to say that small children do or do not benefit and their perk should be able to be given away is silly. So are there any Zenith level passengers that would like to sub me in for some of their perks? Right - not allowed.

Edited by Jane2357

Comparing Curt's sailing solo issues is NOT the same as what the OP is asking. So the OP is wishing to substitute in their non-suite friends under the claim that their young children will not benefit from Luminea. So does this mean that they will NEVER take their children in for breakfast or lunch either? I doubt it. In my mind this is trying to scam the system. How about I claim that my spouse is a super light eater and therefore I should get to bring a non suite friend in because they barely eat either and therefore their two meals would only equal one. Otherwise I am not getting the benefit of the suite that I booked and paid for. .

Actually I think that this would be allowed. The only stipulation is that they both have to eat off of the same plate and share the chair.