Can tips still be taken of at guest services?

Hi im not looking for a huge debate, i just want to know if this can still be done? My travel agent has said she has taken them off but it will still be added to my account onboard as i will be doing dynamic dining. I have to do dynamic dining as there is no other choice....

Hi im not looking for a huge debate, i just want to know if this can still be done? My travel agent has said she has taken them off but it will still be added to my account onboard as i will be doing dynamic dining. I have to do dynamic dining as there is no other choice....

There is no dynamic dining. Do you mean MTD?

Guest maddycat

Yes. Gratuities can be removed at guest services.

There is no dynamic dining. Do you mean MTD?

On the Quantum class ships there is dynamic dining.

You can chose not to tip? I thought you HAD to pay the $12.95 per person per day.

If you can, why would you chose not to tip BEFORE your cruise? I could see having them removed if you got really bad service, but...

You can't opt out in advance. Can only have them removed onboard.

I guess the real question is why, aside from receiving truly horrible service, you would want to remove the daily tips? And in the extremely rare event of horrible service, there are several other methods to deal more effectively with that problem before there is any need to resort to removing them. The staff on RCI ships, and other lines as well, work extremely hard to make your cruise experience a wonderful one and more than earn the relatively modest amount you are asked to tip them.

It does not matter what dining option you choose-- they will still be added to your account AT SOME POINT.

I believe your room steward gets a list of people that opted out of tips-- best of luck getting quality service!

The OP is not from the US. Tipping is not customary in many countries. Just because I live in the US and choose to tip does not give me any right to force my customs on those outside the US.

I disagree with this thought process. Royal prices their cruises using the US tipping model and guests from other cultures should understand and abide by the guidelines. Can afford to tip...can't afford to cruise.

The OP is not from the US. Tipping is not customary in many countries. Just because I live in the US and choose to tip does not give me any right to force my customs on those outside the US.

This argument doesn't fly with me. If you don't want to follow US customs (tipping), don't cruise on a U.S. Owned cruise line.

Hi im not looking for a huge debate...

Too late. :D:p:D

Also doesn't fly with me for the reasons already mentioned. Hopefully, OP wants to remove the auto-tips in favor of tipping in cash (some people still like to do that). But I won't speculate that s/he is removing the tips and will not tip at all. We can hope. :)

I like to remove my tips also because I want to make sure the people I come in direct contact with get way over and above what they are expecting to get. My wife and I are both in sales and we both know how important tips are.Thats how we survive we depend on tips.paying just $12.95 for a regular cabin or $15.95 for a suite a day for everyone you deal with is peanuts. We probably tip 4 x that so if someone asks to remove their tips doesn't mean they are cheap it just might mean they are more generous than you.

Edited by mark22mac

So........because they are from another country, maybe one where there is a different tipping culture, you feel we shouldn't force our customs on those?

I don't know who is worse you or the foreigner.

Having heard/read literally hundreds of passionate pros and cons about auto grats, we believe it boils down to one's personal opinion. Each one of us is blessed with the ability to fully consider facts and act on their own conclusion.

Having heard/read literally hundreds of passionate pros and cons about auto grats, we believe it boils down to one's personal opinion. Each one of us is blessed with the ability to fully consider facts and act on their own conclusion.

Exactly. Everyone is free to do what they want, there is no absolute right and wrong. I choose to prepay my gratuities, others do not. It is a personal choice.

WHEN IN ROME applies here. the ship is operating out of AMERICA. therefore normal American standards apply

when I lived in Japan, I did not tip when off base because THAT was normal. when in base it you DID tip as the O club and other restaurants were operated based on American business practice.

and for those that wax nostalgic about how they prefer to give the cash in person to the individuals who directly served them.. well that's just posturing and self promotion. "see how wonderful I am that I make a big show about giving them an envelope on the last day!"

I found that several of the people who took care of us actually preferred it to be left on the account as they were not forced to stuff dozens of fat envelopes into tiny pockets the last night. they also liked to be able to just draw the cash that they needed for immediate expenses as required, and being able to just send their paycheck directly home to family via the bank/direct deposit

WHEN IN ROME applies here. the ship is operating out of AMERICA. therefore normal American standards apply

when I lived in Japan, I did not tip when off base because THAT was normal. when in base it you DID tip as the O club and other restaurants were operated based on American business practice.

and for those that wax nostalgic about how they prefer to give the cash in person to the individuals who directly served them.. well that's just posturing and self promotion. "see how wonderful I am that I make a big show about giving them an envelope on the last day!"

I found that several of the people who took care of us actually preferred it to be left on the account as they were not forced to stuff dozens of fat envelopes into tiny pockets the last night. they also liked to be able to just draw the cash that they needed for immediate expenses as required, and being able to just send their paycheck directly home to family via the bank/direct deposit

Not true you don't know me!!It's not self promoting. When you give you bartender or server in your restaurant at home probably your usual 10 or 15% if that do you feel self promoted. We tip 40-50% when the service is good because we are in the business. You don't have a clue of what your talking about.

I like to remove my tips also because I want to make sure the people I come in direct contact with get way over and above what they are expecting to get. My wife and I are both in sales and we both know how important tips are.Thats how we survive we depend on tips.paying just $12.95 for a regular cabin or $15.95 for a suite a day for everyone you deal with is peanuts. We probably tip 4 x that so if someone asks to remove their tips doesn't mean they are cheap it just might mean they are more generous than you.

If you remove the auto gratuities, those you give tips to personally will have to turn them in. I would suggest the best thing for you to do is to leave the auto gratuities in place. Then you can augment that by giving additional gratuities to those you deem worthy. If you leave the auto gratuities in place, then those you give additional funds to can keep the cash you give them. Yes, they do get a list of who removes the gratuities.

So your saying that your room steward would rather you leave him his measly $4 a day on the automatic tips then give him more at the end of the cruise. That is just an insane statement. And we leave it on the last day not handing it to him mid cruise so I feel good about myself you are being ridiculous.

So........because they are from another country, maybe one where there is a different tipping culture, you feel we shouldn't force our customs on those?

I don't know who is worse you or the foreigner.

what?